• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

speaking of X-Files, if you want to get primed for wetwired's custom release, Netflix now has remastered X-Files, all episodes for streaming

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1056928

That's what spurred the whole thing for me, I discovered a podcast called "X-files Files" by Kumail Nanjiani, the pakistani guy from Silicon Valley. He's a huge fan and the podcast goes through each episode from the start with guests and commentary, it got me back into the show. I'm currently about 3/4 through season 7.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That's what spurred the whole thing for me, I discovered a podcast called "X-files Files" by Kumail Nanjiani, the pakistani guy from Silicon Valley. He's a huge fan and the podcast goes through each episode from the start with guests and commentary, it got me back into the show. I'm currently about 3/4 through season 7.

So do you watch an episode, then listen to the podcast discussing it? I really shouldn't add more podcasts to my backlog...

yeah I figured that was the case, they're a pain to remove but I think it's worth it, the real question is, is the cheek line less one better than the original?

The cheekbone face would be the worst option, but if you can remove the lines it's not too bad. I think the original face you used is perfect though and I'd prefer that one.

How much extra cost are we talking?

wetwired

So do you watch an episode, then listen to the podcast discussing it? I really shouldn't add more podcasts to my backlog...

Well I listened to a good few episodes of the podcast before I started rewatching the show. I was a huge fan back in the day though so it was more a refresher, nothing was really spoiled for me listening to the podcast so I guess it depends on whether you've seen them before.

The cheekbone face would be the worst option, but if you can remove the lines it's not too bad. I think the original face you used is perfect though and I'd prefer that one.

How much extra cost are we talking?

Roughly about an extra $2 per print

Rootbeer

Banned
The gamestop pre-order bonus for the LEGO Avengers game is live.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-lego+avengers,28zu0

LegoAvengers_minifig_bonusLG.jpg

I'm torn on which version to order this time. I'm building a new PC later this year and would like to play this on PC, but you can't get the pre-order bonus on the PC version. So i'll either get PS4 or get the cheap 3DS version so I can buy the PC version separate.

chimster

The gamestop pre-order bonus for the LEGO Avengers game is live.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-lego+avengers,28zu0

LegoAvengers_minifig_bonusLG.jpg

I'm torn on which version to order this time. I'm building a new PC later this year and would like to play this on PC, but you can't get the pre-order bonus on the PC version. So i'll either get PS4 or get the cheap 3DS version so I can buy the PC version separate.

waiting for the Canadian website to be updated. Fig looks awesome :D

yeah I figured that was the case, they're a pain to remove but I think it's worth it, the real question is, is the cheek line less one better than the original?

I think the original one is still great, but the new one without cheek lines is best. He looks a bit more dour than the smiling original, which fits Mulder.

Funny you mention it, I had been looking at that set last night.

Do it! Ewok Village is approaching two years, so its time is limited. And it is also one of the best sets still out there. It was both my and Ghostmind's favorite set for 2013.

I only planned on getting the Power Jet yesterday, but then I remembered all the loose change I had just stashed away -- a cigar box full of every denomination and a 15lb sack full of pennies -- so I traded them for cash at the bank and got over $70!

Soooo:

A little air superiority!
legoJuneHaul_zps1bdxvqza.jpg

UltraCopter:

A Hind-D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here? Really cool build, the counter-rotating blades especially, so smooth too. I love the adjustable engines/wings as well, really changes the feel of it.

Great minifigs, too. I need the very tron-esque hero helmet in different colors, immediately! I feel the reason the Ultra Agents line does so well is it has what Galaxy Squad lacked: unique and visually interesting/awesome villains. The two that I have, AntiMatter and Infearno, just scream coolness and are great to look at. I hope to at least get the BigRig and Ocean HQ's in the future.

Blue Power Jet:

More like: Blew My Mind Jet. Those wings, goddam! You're just putting together the angled plates in two separate builds, connected by two 1x4 plates sandwiching a single stud and you're like, "Um... ok, I don't really see how this is a wing but whatever..."

Then you fold the two parts, and the 1x4 plates rotate on that single stud and everything lines up perfectly! It's just, "WTF, how do they come up with this stuff?!"

Amazing build, and the finished model looks gorgeous. I'm so glad you can fit two helmeted minifigs in as well, it really completes the look. Best Lego plane ever!

Space Starter Kit:

Just got it for the two astronauts, which I love. Worth the $10.

God, that power jet looks so awesome. It hasn't shown up in town here yet, and I don't feel like doing an order on LEGO.com for it. Ferris Wheel should deliver today, so maybe by this weekend when I am done with that a local store will get the power jet.

I had to go to TRU to find it.

My local Target/Walmart don't seem to get (or at least put out) new stuff until mid-month.

TRU didn't have it. When I went out right before closing the other night to get Ultra Agents Ocean HQ, I was really going for the Power Jet. I might be bad and check before work today.

Toxi

Banned
I watched reviews of the Pirates line and noticed how they almost intentionally made little things missing from each set so you almost had to buy every set to get a complete anything. Like there is a parrot in one of the outpost sets, and all the sets have one cannon so if you got them you would have enough to fill in the missing spots on the pirate ship, things like that.
Kinda scummy, but it's gonna work on me. I like pirates, and despite the issues I really like having a pirate ship.

If you're gonna buy one pirate set, get Treasure Island. It's got everything for a good starter set: Treasure chest, two pirates who both look very different, one soldier, a rowboat, a cool skull island with two secret caves, a parrot, a crocodile, a cannon, a bunch of weapons, and a little dingy. And it's only 20 bucks.

Caladrius

I only planned on getting the Power Jet yesterday, but then I remembered all the loose change I had just stashed away -- a cigar box full of every denomination and a 15lb sack full of pennies -- so I traded them for cash at the bank and got over $70!

The Power Jet makes me want a Lego Thundercracker set.

Too bad that's never happening. :[

I said I give my thoughts on Jokerland after I'd built the Imperial Assault Carrier, and I've finished it, so here they are. I've already given them on the Batmobile so I'll skip that.

Minifigures first:
Heroes: I wish we got this kind of variety in the Marvel line. We've got most, if not all, of the Justice League, and now we're getting the Teen Titans as well. Batman's mostly the same as previous versions, but now he has boots, which I think make it look a lot better. Same with Robin, the two colour arms are the only new aspects of the figure, but it looks better than the last Dick Grayson figure we got. I haven't seen the show so I can't tell you how accurate they are, but Beast Boy and Starfire both look good enough on their own. The prints are nice, and the two colour legs really help the look of the outfits, better than the old method of printing just the front of the legs. Starfire also has some arm printing that really helps finish the look.
Villains: Harley's the only one with a new figure, all the others come in other sets, so I'll talk about her last. Joker's just the same one from the Steam-Roller but with hair, and bumper car polybag, nothing special about him. Poison Ivy and Penguin are the same as the Arkham Asylum set, but I don't think that set's still available, so this is the only set these prints are in. They're both nice prints, but it would of been nice to get some new ones, especially Poison Ivy as Penguin have a variant out there already. Harley is a completely new figure unique to this set. Her outfit is the one from her New 52 solo series, and I feel this is a nice representation of it. It's not a perfect likeness, but it's still a good looking figure, and whilst I don't like the design it's based on, I quite like this figure. The penguin and clown robots are nice little builds, but they don't really add much.
Harley's Wheels of Fire: Probably my least favourite part of the set. Largest in terms of floor area taken up, but smallest in terms of pieces. Has a nice play feature, push the sign to launch the bike, but it's really loose, so easy to accidentally trigger. It's also a bit flimsy, and came apart when I was moving it for the photograph. The track is held in place by a single clip on each end. The bike isn't well secured to the track either, so it can fall off when using the play feature, or if you disturb it. The flame pieces aren't particularly well attached to the bins either.
Poison Ivy's Freefall: Much better than Harley's ride. Smallest base area of the rides, but that's not an issue with this ride. The play feature is a lot more stable than Harley's. For this ride, pressing the sign back causes the ride to drop. I haven't tried it with figures, I can't comment too much on how it works, but the handlebars would be the only thing holding figures in place, so I don't know if they'd stay completely in place when it drops. The ride has a nice look, and it's a really nice balance between the plant and machine aspects of the design. If I had to nitpick, I don't like the technic beams used for stability being exposed, I would have preferred a shorter pin that is less noticeable.
Penguin's Deadly Ducks: A bit basic, but a nice build, and a nice overall look. It's only real play feature is a turning mechanism for the ducks, but the manual suggests using the super-jumper to knock Penguin off the sign. Not much to the set, and not much to say about it either. The rubber teeth as shark fins is a nice touch, and it's much more stable than the other two rides, and fewer things that can go wrong. The build is a little repetitive, but it's a short build so it's not much of an issue.
Jokerland itself: The largest build of the set. Lots of moving parts, and lots of stickers. There's more stickers in this part of the set than the rest of it combined. The cannon is the first thing built overall. You place a technic ball in the opening, and press the end to fire it. Looks nice and works well, not much else to say about it. The toxic tank is built next, and isn't a particularly fun build. All the problems of the curved walls and panels, confounded by the fact that it's only held together by a singular ring piece for most of the build, and made even worse by a stud piece placed between the four panels. The main building makes up the last two bags of the set. Lot of moving parts on this bit. The eyes spin, the hat moves, the panels at the front are adjustable, the bowtie spins, and the main play feature; a loose panel in the clown's mouth, meant to be hit with the super jumper and knock the figure standing on it down the slide into the tank below, or just the floor if you keep the tank separate. Most of the parts in this build go towards the clown's head, so there's not much to the lower half, but what is there is used to great aesthetic effect. The only real problem I had when building this was attaching the bushes used for hair, it's a bit had to thread the pin into the bush, and the shape of the bush makes it difficult to hold onto.
Overall: This set is certainly greater than the sum of it's parts. The figures and the Batmobile are definitely the highlights, but only Harley's ride is a negative. The other rides look good on their own, and even better when displayed together. Even Harley's ride looks good when put with the others, as you look at it as part of something bigger, rather than focus on it and draw attention to it's flaws. I'd have preferred some newer prints for Joker and Ivy, but the ones included are good enough.

I can't log into bricklink, it says my username and my email don't exist, but I registered months ago...

WTF?

--
Had to create a brand new account. Strange.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got a warning my inventory would be purged due to 180 days inactivity, so I logged in yesterday just fine. Don't know if that 180 day thing affects general accounts though.

Ponn

Banned
Kinda scummy, but it's gonna work on me. I like pirates, and despite the issues I really like having a pirate ship.

If you're gonna buy one pirate set, get Treasure Island. It's got everything for a good starter set: Treasure chest, two pirates who both look very different, one soldier, a rowboat, a cool skull island with two secret caves, a parrot, a crocodile, a cannon, a bunch of weapons, and a little dingy. And it's only 20 bucks.

I would like the boat pieces for an Airship moc but the sails wouldn't fit into anything. That theme just didn't catch me like the recent Castle theme. It just seemed too simple or lacking or something. I've become more interested in the recent Ninjago sets though for those figs and pieces.

I said I give my thoughts on Jokerland after I'd built the Imperial Assault Carrier, and I've finished it, so here they are. I've already given them on the Batmobile so I'll skip that.

Minifigures first:

Heroes: I wish we got this kind of variety in the Marvel line. We've got most, if not all, of the Justice League, and now we're getting the Teen Titans as well. Batman's mostly the same as previous versions, but now he has boots, which I think make it look a lot better. Same with Robin, the two colour arms are the only new aspects of the figure, but it looks better than the last Dick Grayson figure we got. I haven't seen the show so I can't tell you how accurate they are, but Beast Boy and Starfire both look good enough on their own. The prints are nice, and the two colour legs really help the look of the outfits, better than the old method of printing just the front of the legs. Starfire also has some arm printing that really helps finish the look.

Villains: Harley's the only one with a new figure, all the others come in other sets, so I'll talk about her last. Joker's just the same one from the Steam-Roller but with hair, and bumper car polybag, nothing special about him. Poison Ivy and Penguin are the same as the Arkham Asylum set, but I don't think that set's still available, so this is the only set these prints are in. They're both nice prints, but it would of been nice to get some new ones, especially Poison Ivy as Penguin have a variant out there already. Harley is a completely new figure unique to this set. Her outfit is the one from her New 52 solo series, and I feel this is a nice representation of it. It's not a perfect likeness, but it's still a good looking figure, and whilst I don't like the design it's based on, I quite like this figure. The penguin and clown robots are nice little builds, but they don't really add much.

Harley's Wheels of Fire: Probably my least favourite part of the set. Largest in terms of floor area taken up, but smallest in terms of pieces. Has a nice play feature, push the sign to launch the bike, but it's really loose, so easy to accidentally trigger. It's also a bit flimsy, and came apart when I was moving it for the photograph. The track is held in place by a single clip on each end. The bike isn't well secured to the track either, so it can fall off when using the play feature, or if you disturb it. The flame pieces aren't particularly well attached to the bins either.

Poison Ivy's Freefall: Much better than Harley's ride. Smallest base area of the rides, but that's not an issue with this ride. The play feature is a lot more stable than Harley's. For this ride, pressing the sign back causes the ride to drop. I haven't tried it with figures, I can't comment too much on how it works, but the handlebars would be the only thing holding figures in place, so I don't know if they'd stay completely in place when it drops. The ride has a nice look, and it's a really nice balance between the plant and machine aspects of the design. If I had to nitpick, I don't like the technic beams used for stability being exposed, I would have preferred a shorter pin that is less noticeable.

Penguin's Deadly Ducks: A bit basic, but a nice build, and a nice overall look. It's only real play feature is a turning mechanism for the ducks, but the manual suggests using the super-jumper to knock Penguin off the sign. Not much to the set, and not much to say about it either. The rubber teeth as shark fins is a nice touch, and it's much more stable than the other two rides, and fewer things that can go wrong. The build is a little repetitive, but it's a short build so it's not much of an issue.

Jokerland itself: The largest build of the set. Lots of moving parts, and lots of stickers. There's more stickers in this part of the set than the rest of it combined. The cannon is the first thing built overall. You place a technic ball in the opening, and press the end to fire it. Looks nice and works well, not much else to say about it. The toxic tank is built next, and isn't a particularly fun build. All the problems of the curved walls and panels, confounded by the fact that it's only held together by a singular ring piece for most of the build, and made even worse by a stud piece placed between the four panels. The main building makes up the last two bags of the set. Lot of moving parts on this bit. The eyes spin, the hat moves, the panels at the front are adjustable, the bowtie spins, and the main play feature; a loose panel in the clown's mouth, meant to be hit with the super jumper and knock the figure standing on it down the slide into the tank below, or just the floor if you keep the tank separate. Most of the parts in this build go towards the clown's head, so there's not much to the lower half, but what is there is used to great aesthetic effect. The only real problem I had when building this was attaching the bushes used for hair, it's a bit had to thread the pin into the bush, and the shape of the bush makes it difficult to hold onto.

Overall: This set is certainly greater than the sum of it's parts. The figures and the Batmobile are definitely the highlights, but only Harley's ride is a negative. The other rides look good on their own, and even better when displayed together. Even Harley's ride looks good when put with the others, as you look at it as part of something bigger, rather than focus on it and draw attention to it's flaws. I'd have preferred some newer prints for Joker and Ivy, but the ones included are good enough.

Ohhhh yeaaaa. Nice, thanks for that review. I'm usually not a fan of piecemeal sets like this but it is going to fit in so well with what i'm doing. And I really need those figs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm feeling an urge to have a mini collection of planes, like I do with my three trains (Maersk, horizon, emerald night). Already have sonic boom and going to buy power jet, but what others are good? Is it just fast flyers that I'm missing for the Lego jets?

Confession - I have the sopwith camel but don't like it

Rootbeer

Banned
Power Jet is def on my radar. And since it's a creator set, it will probably get some good discounts over the course of its lifetime.

I'll wait but I'll be sure to get it at some point.

Power Jet is def on my radar. And since it's a creator set, it will probably get some good discounts over the course of its lifetime.

I'll wait but I'll be sure to get it at some point.

I grabbed it at toys r us with a coupon and my credit card discount for $47 plus tax.

Rootbeer

Banned
I grabbed it at toys r us with a coupon and my credit card discount for $47 plus tax.

20% off coupon?

Finally Toys R Us sent me one that works on LEGO. About time! Most of the coupons over the last year specifically said it doesn't work with LEGO. But the most recent one does.

It expires on 6/30... mulling over my options to maximize the discount.

Do you know if you can price match before applying the coupon? I hope they allow that.

20% off coupon?

Finally Toys R Us sent me one that works on LEGO. About time! Most of the coupons over the last year specifically said it doesn't work with LEGO. But the most recent one does.

It expires on 6/30... mulling over my options to maximize the discount.

Do you know if you can price match before applying the coupon? I hope they allow that.

You need a manager override. I learned this buying Raptor Rampage which they had at $54.99.

neonglow

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Hello Friends. I have stopped Lego cold turkey because of paying off debt and as I discussed previously our new baby that is due next month. Well I received my Lego magazine in the mail this week and my wife saw the detection building. She looks at me and says, "DETECTIVE BUILDING! You don't have that." No dear....I told you I stopped buying Lego, I said. 'Well....you should get this for fathers day.'

I would love to get it....but I don't want to fall of the wagon. So I am here in the crack house asking the crack heads for advice. Lead me on oh level headed folk.

Hello Friends. I have stopped Lego cold turkey because of paying off debt and as I discussed previously our new baby that is due next month. Well I received my Lego magazine in the mail this week and my wife saw the detection building. She looks at me and says, "DETECTIVE BUILDING! You don't have that." No dear....I told you I stopped buying Lego, I said. 'Well....you should get this for fathers day.'

I would love to get it....but I don't want to fall of the wagon. So I am here in the crack house asking the crack heads for advice. Lead me on oh level headed folk.
Well, your wife is enabling you.

And nice tag by the way. Somehow after a decade I have still evaded one.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Well, your wife is enabling you.

And nice tag by the way. Somehow after a decade I have still evaded one.

Thanks. 8 years for me. I just noticed it today. Came from a Halo thread I think.

I'm either getting Detective Office or Ferris Wheel for Fathers Day. I'm hoping for the Ferris Wheel, but either will put a smile on my face and look good on my display.

I don't know your specific circumstances, but I always suggest caution. Detective's Office will be around for a couple of years. I'm a big fan of only buying what you can truly afford. My wife and I had an argument last week in which I suggested buying a $4,500 lounger for beside the pool might be a bit excessive.

You should definitely get it, but I'd wait until it feels "right". Sorry, I know that isn't a terribly enabling sentiment!

I just had to move.

Oh god i think i need to take a vow of poverty.

economics class in high school didn't teach me anything about the marginal inconvenience of owning goods, just marginal utility.

Curse you lego-gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom