• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what was the consensus on the Jurassic World sets? They're 20% in Australia atm at David Jones and was tempted but even at 20% off they don't seem like great value
The sets are okay. The dinosaurs themselves are great. The best build of the bunch was the dilophosaur one I thought. Still middle of the road though.

I still need the Indominus Rex set to have them all.

Ultra Agents Ocean HQ

Sorry for the crap pics. I will get a better camera set up someday. Keep in mind that this set is sans stickers right now. It looks great this way, but would look better with the stickers in place.

The figures. I particularly love the mix of clear and opaque parts in the single mold on many of the helmets.

The villains vehicle. The rotor arms are adjustable, and the front mandibles open up as well...

...to release a bomb! Or at least I think it is a bomb. Either way, that little thing has studs going in every direction. That was just the tip of the SNOT iceberg of this set.

The prisoner hold. I really liked how the hatch opens sideways, and is connected using just SNOT pieces. No hinges or anything here, and it works beautifully. This technique could also be used to make a sweet tanning bed for some Friends sets.

The ship itself. All brick built, with no custom hull parts or pieces on it. The only parts I had never seen before were the 6x16 plates with studs only on the side like you see there.

Using those handy Mixel joints, the sides swing down to reveal hidden goodies. The front has an adjustable turret, while the back end houses a sweet lil speed boat that detaches. The quad gun in the middle swivels and pivots in just about any direction as well.

Open up the other side and you have another turret, and some odd contraption housed on the back side. What could it be?

It's a jet pack! The thrusters on the side can turn and be adjusted as well.

The back end, complete with ladders going up to the main deck. The way the ladders are secured at the angle is about as simple and basic as you can get, yet is so stable. It is done with one of those so stupid simple that you can't really simplify it further. The set is filled with so many things like that.

The front harpoon cannon. I did not tie up the string or put the harpoon into the launcher, mainly because of cats that might fire it off. This section also points out my only real complaint about the set, is that you can look straight through it. Nothing is closed here, it is exposed like that at all times. If you look closely, you can see straight through to the floor of my room.

Remember that prisoner hold? Well, it can be stashed away in the front of the hull for safe transport.

The clear blue garage door piece slides back to open into the main hull...

...then you reach in, and pull out a double gatling gun! Rotate the cylinder on the back, and it fires off all the studs that are in the launcher. It really is a nice system. The turret also swivels to fire in most directions.

The control tower. The way this thing is put together and attached is so slick. The giant blue windshields attach through SNOT bricks and actually give it the structural integrity it needs. It is also on top of a large swivel plate, so it can rotate in any direction.

The interior cabin. Again, no stickers, so there is nothing on the monitors there. The front part there with he small square screen and two round ones on the side? That is the bottom of a build, not the side. That is one of the other sections of the build that literally has studs going in every direction.

This really was a fantastic set. Tons of useful pieces to MOC with later, and lots of cool techniques to build the ship itself. There are no real eye opening parts of the build where it blows you away with the ingenuity like some modulars do occasionally (hello, water tower in Detective's Office!), but the entire thing is an extremely well polished build, and it has tons of character to boot.

Very highly recommended.

AMUSIX

Wife bought me this for my birthday:
4uTv61P.jpg

Build it? Or exchange it for the Helicarrier?

LEGO Ideas said:
At long last, here it is ... the upcoming LEGO Ideas The Big Bang Theory set!

Our professional model designer Steen Sig Andersen and graphic designer Mathew Boyle worked to keep the set design as true as possible to fan builders Alatariel and GlenBricker's original submission, while also working in LEGO design DNA and collaborating with our licensing partners. Mathew says he had a lot of fun bringing elements like Sheldon's 'smile,' Howard's trademark smirk and Bernadette's scary side to life in the minifigure characters.

Here at LEGO Ideas, we can't wait for you to be able to build your own model of Leonard and Sheldon's living room, complete with the minifigure cast of The Big Bang Theory. The set contains 479 pieces and will be available starting August 1 for a recommended retail price of $59.99 US / EUR 59,99.

Here's the official product description:

Indulge your inner genius and build this LEGO® version of Leonard and Sheldon's living room as seen in the hit American sitcom The Big Bang Theory! This set was created by two LEGO fan designers-Alatariel from Sweden and Glen Bricker from the USA-and selected by LEGO Ideas members. Featuring loads of authentic details to satisfy all The Big Bang Theory devotees and including minifigures of all seven main characters from the show, it's ideal for display or role-play fun. Includes 7 minifigures with assorted accessory elements: Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Howard, Raj, Amy and Bernadette.

1934514-o_19mt08fr43ad1v0u1knpi68bvqb.jpg

1934510-o_19mt08fr3kum155311opkgg1i0aa.jpg

August 1st. 479pcs. $59.99US

The prints on the figures look great. I especially like the leg pieces on Bernadette with printing on the sides too.
It also looks like a fair amount of printed pieces, with just the pillar being a sticker. Maybe the back wall window thing too, but most everything else looks printed.

Rootbeer

Banned
But where is my UCS Falcon 2.0?

Probably not within the next year since they are releasing smaller version TFA wave in Sept.

I doubt they'd do one in 2016 either, too soon with TFA version still on shelves. Maybe 2017 if we are good boys and girls?

Maybe they'd break convention here but I just can't see them releasing a UCS version when the mass market version is still so new.

1934514-o_19mt08fr43ad1v0u1knpi68bvqb.jpg

1934510-o_19mt08fr3kum155311opkgg1i0aa.jpg

August 1st. 479pcs. $59.99US

The prints on the figures look great. I especially like the leg pieces on Bernadette with printing on the sides too.
It also looks like a fair amount of printed pieces, with just the pillar being a sticker. Maybe the back wall window thing too, but most everything else looks printed.

I'm not a fan of the Big Bang Theory but even I'll admit that looks fantastic.

Toxi

Banned
Question: How to LEGO euro prices work in terms of US dollars? They seem to mostly be 1:1, but the Spaceport is 90 euros and 120 US dollars. Is it just different for some lines?

mrkgoo

The B-Wing is pretty nice. They crammed a great amount of detail into that ship for that price. I only got it since it was super cheap too. It ain't as good as the UCS version, but it is a solid set with great and I think exclusive figures.

I just built this last night. Yeah it's pretty neat. It has cemented to me that the Star Wars Lego are SUPER overpriced, especially in NZ where lego is normally over priced.

Glad I got it on triple clearance.

I have the cantina set too, but it looks largely uninteresting outside of the dewback and is insanely expensive. So I think I'll give that as a gift.

mrkgoo

Oh boy I can already see the amount of useless posts slamming the show for any reason...

I watched the show and found it patently humourless. I'm not one to make a random comment in any thread though. Well bar this one :p.

I won't be getting it. That said I'm a huge back to the future fan and didn't get that set. Nor the ghostbusters. They're just too expensive here.

oBdUtc4.jpg

hIMbuhQ.jpg

Lego ideas just posted pictures

My general feel is feedback on this set is more "negative" (not necessarily bad, just not interested) than the really big global appeal sets like Ghostbusters and Back to the Future. I'm interested to see how well the set sells to non-LEGO people who are fans of the show. I hope it sells well as it helps push other IP that we normally wouldn't see made into LEGO.

I would love to see the trend of TV show IPs like this be made into sets continue. Maybe it will pave the way to more TV show cartoon IPs that can't be made via LEGO Ideas due to new moulds needed.

Just finished putting together the Jokerland set. It's a nice set overall, might give some more detailed thoughts tomorrow after I've built the Imperial Assualt Carrier. Though I must say that I don't think I found a set to be both bigger than I expected and smaller than I expected at the same time.

Ponn

Banned
Just finished putting together the Jokerland set. It's a nice set overall, might give some more detailed thoughts tomorrow after I've built the Imperial Assualt Carrier. Though I must say that I don't think I found a set to be both bigger than I expected and smaller than I expected at the same time.

Curse you EU!!! *shakes fist at clouds*

Impressions about Batmobile please. I love me some Batmobiles but I was worried it was too small or pointless and took away pieces that maybe could have better added elsewhere. Hopefully we get the Joker Bumper car as the freebie that month it comes out here.

My Ferris Wheel shipped!

Woorloog

Banned
How much 9493 X-Wing cost in Euros?

Is it me or are the cost-per-piece for the EP7 Star Wars sets a bit high?

EDIT Or i'm just terrible at eyeballing them.

I've been mostly knocked out these last few days because of health issues, but I'm getting better. I got to finish the Ferris Wheel, so I can at least give some impressions (although I'm not up to taking pictures right now).

As mentioned before, the bottom is SOLID. When moving stuff around to build it, I could easily carry the entire build by holding the top of the blue beams. In fact, that's a great way to carry the finished model too.

The first bag is quite varied and sets up the basic foundation. The next section builds the blue beams and finishes off the ground detailing. Then there's a section for the wheel itself and then a section that's basically building a gondola x 12.

Needless to say, there's a TON of repetition. I had help doing the wheel so I only had to do it once, but it's a HUGE thing with spokes all over the place, and just placing it on top of the other and latching everything together with technic bars is tricky.

The finished build is quite enormous. It towers over my modular city and I'm kind of regretting putting it there. Maybe when I build some stuff to integrate it better. The wheel would fit on a 48x48 plate BUT it would need to be raised at least one plate's height to clear some mechanisms. Also note that the wheel is wider than the base - I'm going to add a 16 stud street before the first building and it'll still be rather close.

Since I haven't really had a chance to enjoy it, maybe I'm not completely fair to it. I have to say that it's a great way to display various figures - you fit two or possible three (child sizes) in each gondola and there's plenty of floor space. The wheel also turns quite well even without a motor. The rubber band setup is effective and I don't see any mechanical issues with the build.

Either way, I'm sure this will be a collectible eventually. It's a very strange and unique Lego set, that's for sure.

Curse you EU!!! *shakes fist at clouds*

Impressions about Batmobile please. I love me some Batmobiles but I was worried it was too small or pointless and took away pieces that maybe could have better added elsewhere. Hopefully we get the Joker Bumper car as the freebie that month it comes out here.

My Ferris Wheel shipped!

The Batmobile is probably my favourite part of the set. There was some bits of the build that I found a bit weird at first, but I came around to by the time I finished it. It's probably the second largest part of the set, so it's definitely not too small, and definitely not pointless. Out of the 2 hours I spent building the set, the Batmobile took about half an hour, and took two bags, whilst everything but the Joker section took only one.
I love the shaping of the body, especially to the front, and I love how this is obviously meant to be the Burton Batmobile, but not quite, with the vents on the side, and the air intake above the cabin.
The only Batmobile I have to compare it to is the Beware the Batman version from 2013, but I much prefer this one. Whilst I do like the Beware version, this new one is just so much better in terms of build and looks. The Beware version is just too wide and boxy, and leaves too many areas exposed, looking like it's unfinished, most notably the exposed wheels. The new one is also a lot more stable than the other one, like the side panels on the Beware Batmobile are really loose, and wobble quite a bit, and though there are bits on the side that are a bit loose, they're nowhere near as bad as the Beware one.

Ponn

Banned
The Batmobile is probably my favourite part of the set. There was some bits of the build that I found a bit weird at first, but I came around to by the time I finished it. It's probably the second largest part of the set, so it's definitely not too small, and definitely not pointless. Out of the 2 hours I spent building the set, the Batmobile took about half an hour, and took two bags, whilst everything but the Joker section took only one.

I love the shaping of the body, especially to the front, and I love how this is obviously meant to be the Burton Batmobile, but not quite, with the vents on the side, and the air intake above the cabin.

The only Batmobile I have to compare it to is the Beware the Batman version from 2013, but I much prefer this one. Whilst I do like the Beware version, this new one is just so much better in terms of build and looks. The Beware version is just too wide and boxy, and leaves too many areas exposed, looking like it's unfinished, most notably the exposed wheels. The new one is also a lot more stable than the other one, like the side panels on the Beware Batmobile are really loose, and wobble quite a bit, and though there are bits on the side that are a bit loose, they're nowhere near as bad as the Beware one.

Oh thank you! And would love your thoughts on the rest of the set when you have time. I'm planning on making it a big part of my Halloween display this year.

From your comparison it looks to be about the same size as the Batmobile from the two face chase, the one before that riddler chase batmobile. It also looks really close to it except for that turbine on the front which makes this one look closer to the Tim Burton version. I really liked the two chase version and it had a heft to it that would surprise you from just looking at it. I never noticed that vent/engine piece on top of this new one before. Now that I see it I can't unsee it and it really distracts me and looks out of place. I think I will probably leave that piece out and try and smooth it over with some slope pieces.

Thanks again, looks good and im glad it wasn't an afterthought for the set.

Toxi

Banned
Just checked, and it turns out the second face represents the comic version of the character. That's pretty neat.

After picking up lots of Amiibo and a lone T-rex tracker set I feel the need to buy a big set. I keep on saying this in the hopes I'll get the courage to buy something.

Toxi

Banned
Just completed the Brick Bounty. I have mixed feelings.

Not about the cost; the set is massive, with the ridiculous masts taking up a ton of vertical clearance and the hull being pretty long on its own. At 100 dollars, that's well-worth it.

But there are a lot of things that feel... Half-finished? Like there are five spots for cannons, yet the set only comes with three cannons. There are two entrances to the Captain's quarters, yet only one has a door. The entire deck build seems to be set-up for a second deck where none exists. There is a cook with a frying pan, but no food. There is a crane, but it's not long enough to reach the deck.There isn't a parrot to be the captain's pet. The cannons lack the ability to slide in so the port holes can close, which could have been easily fixed with wheels.

It's a cool ass ship, but it feels like it needs some modification before it becomes a real beauty. The most important one would be adding a second deck and building up the prow to match. Seems easy enough that even a system novice like me could do it with all the exposed studs. The Treasure Island set actually provides some things to help complete the Brick Bounty, like a parrot and a banana for the cook.

Also, on a weird note: With the exception of the cabin boy, every pirate on the Brick Bounty is missing an eye. Ship's got a curse I tell yah.

Ponn

Banned
Just completed the Brick Bounty. I have mixed feelings.

Not about the cost; the set is massive, with the ridiculous masts taking up a ton of vertical clearance and the hull being pretty long on its own. At 100 dollars, that's well-worth it.

But there are a lot of things that feel... Half-finished? Like there are five spots for cannons, yet the set only comes with three cannons. There are two entrances to the Captain's quarters, yet only one has a door. The entire deck build seems to be set-up for a second deck where none exists. There is a cook with a frying pan, but no food. There is a crane, but it's not long enough to reach the deck.There isn't a parrot to be the captain's pet. The cannons lack the ability to slide in so the port holes can close, which could have been easily fixed with wheels.

It's a cool ass ship, but it feels like it needs some modification before it becomes a real beauty. The most important one would be adding a second deck and building up the prow to match. Seems easy enough that even a system novice like me could do it with all the exposed studs. The Treasure Island set actually provides some things to help complete the Brick Bounty, like a parrot and a banana for the cook.

Also, on a weird note: With the exception of the cabin boy, every pirate on the Brick Bounty is missing an eye. Ship's got a curse I tell yah.

I watched reviews of the Pirates line and noticed how they almost intentionally made little things missing from each set so you almost had to buy every set to get a complete anything. Like there is a parrot in one of the outpost sets, and all the sets have one cannon so if you got them you would have enough to fill in the missing spots on the pirate ship, things like that.

wetwired

I've had to source a new head for Mulder as I can't find the one I used previously in bulk.

I'm auditioning this one, it comes with the cheek lines but I have photoshopped them out to compare without too as I can just remove them if need be.

mulderpossible.jpg

Compared to the one I used....

X1.jpg

Now if the top one isn't great I could take the step of reproducing and printing the first one I used, it would cost extra though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom