• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mf.luder

I dont hear many people talk about them here, but does anyone collect the Technic sets? Really eyeballing that 24hr Race car and the Fire Plane. I just love the way they look, thoughts?

Also, my local Barnes and Noble basically has all the architecture sets - which was the most rare? I'd love to snag one for my office, I seem to remember people mentioning Trevi Fountain? I think I saw a couple falling waters too. Thanks!

Me. :(

Just bought 42043, slowly assembling but can't find much time. I'm a sucker for pneumatic.

Ponn

Banned
Anyone know of a good way to get the helmet piece with goggles on it? For reference it was on a german soldier in an Indiana Jones set. Doesn't have to be exactly like that one but close, leaning less miiitary style and more aviation or even steampunk style.

Oooo awesome about the Doctor Who set actually having a price - one of my supervisors is convinced that they silently scrapped it and will be using the rights just for Lego Dimensions stuff, but I've been holding out hope that a set (or sets?) would still be coming.

I'm kind of surprised that we've still heard basically NOTHING about it, though I would guess they'd want to get Wall-E out the door first so they don't take away from his time in the spotlight.

Maybe announcement will coincide with season premiere?

"The upcoming ninth series of the British science fiction television programme Doctor Who is set to premiere on 19 September 2015"

How can there be price tags when we haven't seen the set yet...

I wonder if they'll do a Doctor Who minifig series....

My fingers are crossed. If the LEGO Ideas set and/or the Dimensions pack sells very well, they HAVE TO make all incarnations!!!

I have this LEGO compatible set, but would be all over a LEGO version.
WzWtO0s.jpg

elfinke

I dont hear many people talk about them here, but does anyone collect the Technic sets? Really eyeballing that 24hr Race car and the Fire Plane. I just love the way they look, thoughts?

Also, my local Barnes and Noble basically has all the architecture sets - which was the most rare? I'd love to snag one for my office, I seem to remember people mentioning Trevi Fountain? I think I saw a couple falling waters too. Thanks!

I adore them above all other Lego sets by a country mile. My birthday Lego presents finally all arrived, I'll post the haul this evening after work. But a small part of the haul is the Compact Tracked Loader (which was needed in order to hit the $200 free delivery amount at Lego), and it is very nearly my favourite out of the entire set of things I was gifted.

I still have all of my 90s Technic sets kicking around, including pneumatic stuff. Love it.

Maengun1

- Went searching for the Scooby line over the weekend, and no one had any except Wal-Mart randomly had just the Mummy set available. There weren't stickers/empty spots for the other sets indicating they had sold out. Weird. But whatever I was planning to get the Mummy set so yay. I kinda hope I find them one at a time, because then I can block the total price of the entire line out of my mind haha.

- Wall-E looks AMAZING. Absolutely the number 1 must-have set of the year for me.

- Nice to see the high quality pics of the new minifigure line today! Love the monsters, and in particular the bottom pieces of the Spectre and Banshee looks so interesting. Definitely getting the complete line.

Wallet cry etc.

wetwired

I had to get my wife to log onto my email to send me something at work today over the phone:

Her: What's this shipping notification from LEGO?

Me: I had some VIP points to use so I got some scooby doo LEGO

Her: looks like the VIP points didn't cover much of the costs, did you really need all of the sets?

Me: Yeah cause I knew they'd sell out, and uh, they have already!

Her: Hmm, what's all these items with $0.00 next to them?

Me: They're the freebies that came with it, I should be able to sell them and pay for some of the scooby doo sets.

Her: Hmmm

58925254.jpg

As a huge LEGO/Halloween/Monster fan I need to get all of those minifigures. I'm assuming that buying a box is the best way to do it. How does one go about doing that normally?

Osahi

How much I liked Scooby as a kid, I'm glad I decided not to jump on those sets (allthough maybe in Europe they are less rare?)

I fear for Star Wars month though. I'll want that Falcon...

Ryuuroden

I had to get my wife to log onto my email to send me something at work today over the phone:

Her: looks like the VIP points didn't cover much of the costs, did you really need all of the sets?

Me: They're the freebies that came with it, I should be able to sell them and pay for some of the scooby doo sets.

58925254.jpg

You can tell her you will sell some of the duplicate figs as well.

I suppose i am kinda lucky in that my wife sometimes buys Lego as well for herself so she "gets it" and lets me indulge in my spending habit a bit more than normal...

Though the other day she gave me that look when some huge package arrived at the door which when shaken sounded like Lego (which of course it was)

Rootbeer

Banned
Press release about Toys R Us and Force Friday

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...night-opening-events-worldwide-300122884.html

TRU will be giving away a special LEGO brick at the event. They also confirmed that toysrus.com/starwars will be selling the new star wars merch at midnight

What does this mean for LEGO fans? Well it could be a sign that shop.lego.com may well offer the new sets online that day too (9PM PST?) This could have been predicted but now it seems very likely.

Experien

Next weekend I am having a big LEGO fiesta while my gf is away. I bought 30lb fishing line, anything else I should know/get/have to hang spaceships?

Galdius

First of all, this is my first time posting on this thread.
I always liked to build Lego sets and recently my mother began to enjoy them as well.
Now we had a bit of free space at home and decided to display some our Star Wars sets.
We still have one ship to build and put it with the others but this is how the sets are displayed now.
The second pic doesn't have the AT-AT but it shows how they look at night with the lights on.

scNtKR2l.jpg
ug96lNHl.jpg

I always liked to build Lego sets and recently my mother began to enjoy them as well.
Now we had a bit of free space at home and decided to display some our Star Wars sets.
We still have one ship to build and put it with the others but this is how the sets are displayed now.
The second pic doesn't have the AT-AT but it shows how they look at night with the lights on.

scNtKR2l.jpg
ug96lNHl.jpg

Now that's classy

Agents Invizable Gold Getaway 70167
$13.99
RED Card for free shipping plus 5% off.

Nice price!

58925254.jpg

Nice work. Sadly I'm also in a similar position with my wife. I really want to buy Agents Invizable Gold Getaway that is 30% off right now, but I can't have it shipped to my house because the wife will see it and she already "busted" me on some other purchases. I will have to see if I can pick it up in store. :) I needz dat pimp outfit.

scNtKR2l.jpg
ug96lNHl.jpg

Sweet. Missing a bunch of UCS stuff that is still available for purchase at MSRP price. :)

woodypop

Ooooh, clean set-up! I really like how you avoid jamming your space with too much stuff and let the focus be on individual sets.

I like the AT-DP better in the second pic where it has more ceiling height. Also, I'm not fond of stiff-legged AT-AT. I think it looks better in a walking pose (with hatches/doors closed). But overall, your display looks great!

Yes great display... the lights make a huge difference too.

I do have the space for something like this but unfortunately i have too many other non Star Wars Lego preferences so i decided to put up random sets instead of one theme only, but i can see the appeal.

Galdius

Ooooh, clean set-up! I really like how you avoid jamming your space with too much stuff and let the focus be on individual sets.

I like the AT-DP better in the second pic where it has more ceiling height. Also, I'm not fond of stiff-legged AT-AT. I think it looks better in a walking pose (with hatches/doors closed). But overall, your display looks great!

Thanks! Sometimes I let the hatches/doors open and sometimes I close them, It depends on what I want at that moment and I agree with you about the AT-DP but we have a larger ship to put on the biiger free space.

Yes great display... the lights make a huge difference too.

I do have the space for something like this but unfortunately i have too many other non Star Wars Lego preferences so i decided to put up random sets instead of one theme only, but i can see the appeal.

I'm a big Star Wars fan and Star Wars is the series that I have the most Lego sets so it made sense to put up a themed display.

peely

Neo Member
Thanks! Sometimes I let the hatches/doors open and sometimes I close them, It depends on what I want at that moment and I agree with you about the AT-DP but we have a larger ship to put on the biiger free space.

That is a great display, my 4yo sometimes opens all the hatches on the AT-AT and says she is letting the air in. If only she was around during the battle of Hoth ;)

Finally found a Scooby Doo set, sadly it was just the Mummy one but I'll take what I can get.

That's all I have right now. Ever since I got that set, there's been a sweet smelling smoke smell around my place and my snacks keep disappearing. I will wait for a sale or better LEGO store promo to get the other sets. I may cave in and get the Mystery Machine sooner though.

That's all I have right now. Ever since I got that set, there's been a sweet smelling smoke smell around my place and my snacks keep disappearing. I will wait for a sale or better LEGO store promo to get the other sets. I may cave in and get the Mystery Machine sooner though.

Really want the Mystery Machine but so does everyone so I'll cave sooner or later on that one.

scNtKR2l.jpg
ug96lNHl.jpg

Nice. Really shows how the Naboo fighter is an X-wing back-to-front.

So this weekend I finally got the Blue Power Jet and my god is it much bigger than I thought it would be. And the swoosh factor is off the charts. I just wonder how it would look in grey. Guess I could fire up the LDD and find out right? Also got The Mystery Machine since I figured why not?

Really want the Mystery Machine but so does everyone so I'll cave sooner or later on that one.

LOL. Well, my will power didn't last too long. I bought it during lunch.

Dropped by my local LEGO store since today is when they get new shipments. Saw Raptor Escape set and last 2 Mystery Machines. Had to get a Raptor Escape set and a PAB cup. Since I was so close to the lame free promo set I grabbed the 2nd to last Mystery Machine. Figured it wouldn't be on sale for several months until XMas since it's so hot. And who knows the Halloween CMFs may drive sales of Scooby Doo more and Mystery Machine will be hard to find during Xmas.

Hope you find it soon.

EDIT: Saw the new Ninjago sets in person for the first time. This wave is quite excellent.

Ponn

Banned
Mystery Machine and Mystery Plane delivered today. Got ship notice on Mystery Mansion from Lego S@H the other day but tracking number still says not found...hmm...sounds like a mystery. Want to put Mystery Machine together but im in the middle of Pet Shop right now.

Interesting science info.

16667370074_9a67d35a94_c.jpg

Tritium Lightsabers by Matt De Lanoy, on Flickr

Click on the link to read the rest of the text.

"Tritium is a gas that provides a low-level fluorescent light when interacting with a phosphor, which these small glass vials are coated with. No external power source is needed. I saw a post on tritium vials a while back and knew I just had to get some for myself. I'm quite pleased with the effect.
These vials were the largest I could find with the brief research I did. Unfortunately they are closer to a 3L rod in length then 4L. Also, they are _slightly_ smaller width then lego rod holders, but that was easily fixed with a piece of clear tape wrapped around the end."

I'd hate to see you explain to her why the 1% costs a few thousand $$$.

I've mentioned this before, but she simply doesn't notice. Every once in a while she'll say, "You know I think you are buying a lot more LEGO than you let on" and leave it at that. Hell, she's a divorce lawyer with a history of forensic accounting. One day I've no doubt she'll ruin my life on the grounds of undisclosed LEGO.

16667370074_9a67d35a94_c.jpg

Click on the link to read the rest of the text.

"Tritium is a gas that provides a low-level fluorescent light when interacting with a phosphor, which these small glass vials are coated with. No external power source is needed. I saw a post on tritium vials a while back and knew I just had to get some for myself. I'm quite pleased with the effect.
These vials were the largest I could find with the brief research I did. Unfortunately they are closer to a 3L rod in length then 4L. Also, they are _slightly_ smaller width then lego rod holders, but that was easily fixed with a piece of clear tape wrapped around the end."

This is awesome! Is it volatile? I look forward to YouTube videos of a bunch of dingalings cracking open these tubes and ruining their beautiful shirts.

Ponn

Banned
You just made me Google Katamari LEGO. There is not a lot of good stuff.

This LEGO Ideas project wasn't that great either.

Shame, as some really fun and insane things could come from it.

You could even cheap out by just incorporating actual sets into the giant Katamari for fun.

Sooo...I asked earlier about paying extra for oop sets and i'm thinking about getting a Harry Potter set, Daigon Alley specifically. Honestly is it a stupid move? i missed the entire Harry Potter line and I doubt it will ever get any new proper sets outside of that spinoff. I mean im looking and my brain is telling me I could get a UCS set and Jokerland for the same price id be paying for this one set.

You could even cheap out by just incorporating actual sets into the giant Katamari for fun.

Sooo...I asked earlier about paying extra for oop sets and i'm thinking about getting a Harry Potter set, Daigon Alley specifically. Honestly is it a stupid move? i missed the entire Harry Potter line and I doubt it will ever get any new proper sets outside of that spinoff. I mean im looking and my brain is telling me I could get a UCS set and Jokerland for the same price id be paying for this one set.

What's the price you are seeing for it?

Daigon Alley was the only HP set I got, and it is a nice set, but in the end it was really just for parts.

Just remember, there are more HP movies coming soon when Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them comes out, so I wouldn't be shocked if they do new versions of classic Harry Potter areas and do new figures.

Daigon Alley was the only HP set I got, and it is a nice set, but in the end it was really just for parts.

Just remember, there are more HP movies coming soon when Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them comes out, so I wouldn't be shocked if they do new versions of classic Harry Potter areas and do new figures.

God, I hope so. I'd love to have the chance to buy versions of hogwarts and diagon alley.

Ponn

Banned

$300 for NIB. I've tried to get only sets I would display at this point and now that i'm running out of room i'm starting to get more picky. Like that Temple of Airjitsu coming out. It looks really nice but i'm not sure I would keep it up for display, it doesn't fit in with any of my themes.

$300 for NIB. I've tried to get only sets I would display at this point and now that i'm running out of room i'm starting to get more picky. Like that Temple of Airjitsu coming out. It looks really nice but i'm not sure I would keep it up for display, it doesn't fit in with any of my themes.

Hmmm. That is twice the original MSRP, but it was a high piece count set, so it kind of takes some of the sting off.
It was a very nice set, don't get me wrong, but not $300 nice in my book. That is just me. I am sure many others on here would chime in saying it is totally worth it.

Of course, it will probably only go up in price if you keep waiting.

On a different note, I finished building the Scooby Mansion tonight. It was a pretty fun set, but nothing amazing. It looks really nice once done, and it comes with some fantastic parts to use later in MOCs. There are not a lot of neat building or character touches throughout like Vampyre Castle had, but still nice.
It is just barely above the fabled $.10 a brick threshold, which is surprising when you look at it as a big licensed set with some exclusive figures, it really is a fantastic buy in that regard.
There are some nice play features in it as well, which is always a plus to me because it allows for a bit more customization when putting it on display.

Sadly, in the end, this will probably get quickly absorbed into my parts collection, because there were many parts I was wanting more of as I work on my Halloween display some more.

TLDR: Good set, but it isn't in the same league as Vampyre Castle.

Ponn

Banned
Hmmm. That is twice the original MSRP, but it was a high piece count set, so it kind of takes some of the sting off.
It was a very nice set, don't get me wrong, but not $300 nice in my book. That is just me. I am sure many others on here would chime in saying it is totally worth it.

Of course, it will probably only go up in price if you keep waiting.

Yea i've been reasoning through this (I know, hard to believe a Lego addict) and the piece count is still reasonable, or not horrible at least compared to hogwarts castle going for $500 and its under a 1000 pieces. Though the spinoff movie is coming thats not guarantee of classic harry potter figs or sets. This is how I talked myself out of paying oop prices for Arkham Asylum Breakout, that set is double the price per piece count now, figs aren't really that exclusive and there is a good chance there will be another Arkham Asylum set down the road.

I feel sad all that jumble has been going through my head.

Yea i've been reasoning through this (I know, hard to believe a Lego addict) and the piece count is still reasonable, or not horrible at least compared to hogwarts castle going for $500 and its under a 1000 pieces. Though the spinoff movie is coming thats not guarantee of classic harry potter figs or sets. This is how I talked myself out of paying oop prices for Arkham Asylum Breakout, that set is double the price per piece count now, figs aren't really that exclusive and there is a good chance there will be another Arkham Asylum set down the road.

I feel sad all that jumble has been going through my head.

What the hell?! Arkham is already that high? Madness.

I shudder to think about how high the Tumbler will go when it goes OOP.

Maengun1

or not horrible at least compared to hogwarts castle going for $500 and its under a 1000 pieces. Though the spinoff movie is coming thats not guarantee of classic harry potter figs or sets

Even one, tiny new wave of Classic Harry Potter sets when the spinoff comes out would be a dream come true for me. I'm an HP fanatic who got back into Lego right after the HP line ended...and I originally fell out of collecting Lego right before they started doing HP in 2001. Worst timing ever. I did manage to obtain Hagrid's Hut when I found out everything HP had gone out of production, so that's something.

I would do sickening things for a retail price Hogwarts.

So I've been having a ton of fun building LEGO with my three year old son. President Business' Lair, Cloud Cuckoo Palace, and our most eecent build, Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship.

Well, I made the mistake over overestimating his strength and let him swoosh the ship around (normally he just flies the Octan Fighter Jet).

He got one, complete, full body rotation in when he just drops it. Bottom up.

Pieces every where. He went from so excited to so upset in microseconds. Ha.

Found everything except 1 grey slope two x wedge. 4567887 to be exact. Sadly no extras so I improvised with two blue one x wedges.

Good times.

So I've been having a ton of fun building LEGO with my three year old son. President Business' Lair, Cloud Cuckoo Palace, and our most eecent build, Benny's Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship.

Well, I made the mistake over overestimating his strength and let him swoosh the ship around (normally he just flies the Octan Fighter Jet).

He got one, complete, full body rotation in when he just drops it. Bottom up.

Pieces every where. He went from so excited to so upset in microseconds. Ha.

Found everything except 1 grey slope two x wedge. 4567887 to be exact. Sadly no extras so I improvised with two blue one x wedges.

Good times.
Sorry to hear your lil guy got upset. :( But, that is also the great thing about LEGO sets. If you break it you can just build it again.

That is something that baffles me when I talk to some parents at work. I talk to them about some LEGO sets, and they say that they don't like getting them for their kids because they might break them after building them.
I then tell them that the worst thing that will happen is that they have to build it again, or heaven forbid, just make up their own thing afterwards.

Edit: it just occurred to me why my neck has been hurting so badly these last two days. I have been doing a lot of building and looking down. I have a bad case of Lego neck. Maybe a few days rest from building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom