• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Examining the current evidence surrounding Big Bang and why it might be a Steampunk theme. A companion piece to ghostmind's reveal :)

http://www.groovebricks.com/lego-big-bang-what-do-we-know-so-far/

There are reports that the joker polybag will be FREE with qualifying purchase sometime around Aug 9th so keep an eye out for promotions.
Hmmm. Sicking Mark Stafford on it is one way to stack the deck in a theme's favor. I am very excited. I wonder how my airship will fit with it?

Edit: Built the Ant Man set. Not bad, but not great either. I wish the legs on the ant were more poseable. Great figures though!

mojiimbo

U.S. Lego Stores should be running a 20% off sale on select sets. Nothing insane but the Smaug set was down to $103 so I picked it up.

Also saw the Maersk boat on the list, which is the first time I can recall seeing an exclusive on sale, but it's full price on the website and I haven't seen it in store in a year or so...

I added gears already, but I'll definitely take your suggestion with the chest armor.

Also, I didn't realize there was an exclusive San Diego Comic-Con mask... But I'm not too disappointed for missing out on it when it's Skull Scorpio. :p

I hate these exclusive masks due to reselling. I wish they'd do like they use to and have mask blind packs. I loved those things.

U.S. Lego Stores should be running a 20% off sale on select sets. Nothing insane but the Smaug set was down to $103 so I picked it up.

Also saw the Maersk boat on the list, which is the first time I can recall seeing an exclusive on sale, but it's full price on the website and I haven't seen it in store in a year or so...

Where are you located? I haven't seen a Smaug set in the LEGO store for ages.

TX. The Hobbit sets have been slow movers since the movie left theaters.

I'm in Southern California and they have been slow movers as well, but the LEGO store I frequent hasn't had Smaug set in since it went on sale for 20% off a few months ago. Maybe because the one I go to the most is the smallest store in California and lacks space to carry it. Maybe I'll call the Downtown Disney one if it on sale and make the trek if there are some other good 20% off sets. Unless the sale reaches online as well which is possible given how slow the sets move (except when Smaug set was 20% off in store only and sold out immediately).

Hmmm. Sicking Mark Stafford on it is one way to stack the deck in a theme's favor. I am very excited. I wonder how my airship will fit with it?

Edit: Built the Ant Man set. Not bad, but not great either. I wish the legs on the ant were more poseable. Great figures though!

I agree on the legs, but that thing is really poseable. I have it up in my workroom next to Shelob.

I almost ordered the Shuttle Tyderium, at 25% off, for a single piece - the new Leia head. But really, there has to be limits to the madness. I'll look around for better options. Instead of buying that set (which I wouldn't really use for anything) I can get a headstart on my next custom build.

There are very few simple, pretty heads though. Most have some evil grin or something. And the basic ones tend to be used on popular figures like Leia, Padme and Hermione. I'm hoping for more generic ones, but right now there aren't that many licensed themes around.

taoofjord

I keep seeing all these amazing custom lego dioramas. How do they end up with so many pieces? Are these people just buying every set that comes out? Only buying the pieces they know they need on Bricklink? What's the best sets to get enough so I can try making the things this person makes.

I keep seeing all these amazing custom lego dioramas. How do they end up with so many pieces? Are these people just buying every set that comes out? Only buying the pieces they know they need on Bricklink? What's the best sets to get enough so I can try making the things this person makes.

You just slowly accumulate pieces over time. Some sets are better than others just for stocking up on parts though. (Hello, Tower Bridge!)

The Pick-A-Brick walls at the stores are also a great place to get lots of a specific part quickly, but you are restricted by what they have in stock.

I personally have never done Bricklink yet. I might in the future, but whenever I am making something I just look at what I have of certain parts in my inventory and adapt and improvise around that.

ghostmind

Bricklink and custom orders from LEGO.

That tile floor with joints around the tiles in one of those pics just blew my mind...

I'm surprised at how the hate for the new bionicles is almost universal on the internet outside of here and forums like BZpower. People constantly saying the old ones are better and these are more 'simple'. It kind of makes me sad, because at least in my opinion these new sets are some of the best. Theres new and interesting action features in sets like skull basher, some of the best masks ever made like the mask of creation and skull grinders mask, and CCBS allows for less specialized parts which is much better for mocing. One thing I didn't like about the original bionicles was how there was so many highly specialized pieces.

I wonder if some of it is nostalgia, id imagine toys are one of those things where you get super attached to them and if they are changed, no matter what that change is worse since it doesn't remind you of your childhood

I almost ordered the Shuttle Tyderium, at 25% off, for a single piece - the new Leia head. But really, there has to be limits to the madness. I'll look around for better options. Instead of buying that set (which I wouldn't really use for anything) I can get a headstart on my next custom build.

There are very few simple, pretty heads though. Most have some evil grin or something. And the basic ones tend to be used on popular figures like Leia, Padme and Hermione. I'm hoping for more generic ones, but right now there aren't that many licensed themes around.

And after some consideration I happened upon a Knowhere set at a decent price, along with some other small things I needed, so I did end up spending a bit. But then I get my RR and Groot, and other actual useful stuff, so it's not that bad.

ghostmind

For those of you purchasing from S@H, watch your invoices. I just tried placing an order and the site is trying to apply more than double the sales tax that I should be paying.

ghostmind

What # of redesigns has that thing had so far? I mean is there a market for the pod racers?

This is the 4th iteration of Anakin's pod - the last one came out in 2011.

I would love to see LEGO produce pods from racers other than Anaking and Sebulba again. There is a lot of potential for some cool designs and unique minifigs.

Toxi

Banned
What # of redesigns has that thing had so far? I mean is there a market for the pod racers?
At least it had a major role in The Phantom Menace.

That's more than you can say for the Sith Infiltrator, which had maybe 30 seconds of screentime yet has four different LEGO sets.

Buying specific pieces is definitely a thing for people who plan super-ambitious things.

Also, people with the luxury of space disassemble and sort sets they aren't attached to for use in original creations.it makes planning things easier. I probably have enough pieces tied up in the form of random unwanted vehicles to build something pretty cool, but the storage situation for them makes browsing annoying.

Ryuuroden

My Orthanc was built with 120+ bricklink orders, PAB cups, online PAB, and sets/parts I already had. Majority of it was built using PAB and Bricklink.

Related note: Since I have picked up all the ones I need, I have roughly 200 Pearl Gold Wing 9L with Stylized Feathers that I will be using in my new project
11091.jpg

There are 662 left listed on bricklink worldwide :D

taoofjord

So in planning these ambitious projects are people generally sketching these out on paper or is there some kind of program people use? Sorry, brand new to Lego as an adult. That dang The Hobbit Unexpected Meeting set blew me away and now I'm picking up the 2014 Minecraft sets. I'm beginning to see how expensive this hobby can become!

mf.luder

Just grabbed the flagship technic set, 42043, yesterday and it's massive. The booklet itself is close to 500 pages. I don't know why they chose to make it a single one vs. multiple booklets.

Any other technic fans?

So in planning these ambitious projects are people generally sketching these out on paper or is there some kind of program people use? Sorry, brand new to Lego as an adult. That dang The Hobbit Unexpected Meeting set blew me away and now I'm picking up the 2014 Minecraft sets. I'm beginning to see how expensive this hobby can become!

Check out Lego Digital Designer, a free program which basically lets you use any number of any piece to build anything. Then there are third-party programs that let you export a list of parts to be imported to shopping sites like Bricklink. That's one way to make custom builds.

I'm surprised at how the hate for the new bionicles is almost universal on the internet outside of here and forums like BZpower. People constantly saying the old ones are better and these are more 'simple'. It kind of makes me sad, because at least in my opinion these new sets are some of the best. Theres new and interesting action features in sets like skull basher, some of the best masks ever made like the mask of creation and skull grinders mask, and CCBS allows for less specialized parts which is much better for mocing. One thing I didn't like about the original bionicles was how there was so many highly specialized pieces.

I wonder if some of it is nostalgia, id imagine toys are one of those things where you get super attached to them and if they are changed, no matter what that change is worse since it doesn't remind you of your childhood

I'm with you there. I honestly have nothing to say but positive things to say about the new 2015 sets outside of skull spider and Scorpio.

I do think it's nostalgia glasses. I feel like the 2015 parts are way more versatile and useful compared to the original G1 stuff. Plus it all looks better as well.

I will also say giving the characters more time I've come to love them even more than what I thought. I originally disliked Onua but the more I've been messing with him he's way way way better objectively and subjectively than most consider.

Plus the new skull sets are badass, especially for villains.

If the Internet is in dislike of them, who cares. To the Lego Group: keep up the great work on all the Bionicle sets.

Again though my only personal note is I wish I could get more masks even if they are recolors.

All of the above. :)

As someone else mentioned, if he is part of a LEGO user group, he probably gets some bulk items at an unknown discount (program allows user groups a bulk purchase on certain elements once a year).

Not sure if he collects minifigs, but buying sets on sale or clearance and selling the minifigs is an inexpensive way to accumulate pieces. Only issue is you get stuck with a LOT of duplicate pieces you don't really need.

Pick-A-Brick wall at LEGO stores is the cheapest way to get lots of parts for the average person, but there is a very limited selection and it varies over time.

My Orthanc was built with 120+ bricklink orders, PAB cups, online PAB, and sets/parts I already had. Majority of it was built using PAB and Bricklink.

Related note: Since I have picked up all the ones I need, I have roughly 200 Pearl Gold Wing 9L with Stylized Feathers that I will be using in my new project
11091.jpg

There are 662 left listed on bricklink worldwide :D

You aren't done yet so I will buy all 662 and sell them to you at a higher price when you need them. :) Are you making lifesize wings for some steampunk cosplay?

Toxi

Banned

People saying the new sets are simpler are blatantly wrong unless they're talking about the larger sets of old Bionicle (and we haven't even gotten a larger set yet).

I was with Bionicle since 2001, and the winter wave of Bionicle 2015 was an outstanding revival in my view.

People saying the new sets are simpler are blatantly wrong unless they're talking about the larger sets of old Bionicle (and we haven't even gotten a larger set yet).

I was with Bionicle since 2001, and the winter wave of Bionicle 2015 was an outstanding revival in my view.

I've been on it since G1 Bonicle. I kinda dropped out post metru nui. It got so convoluted as it went on. I'm glad 2015 sets are a reboot to be honest.

Lego-gaf, I want to MOC a bunch of nature scenery. Does anyone have any recommendations for sets or other peoples' MOCs to look at for ideas on how to handle such things? especially interesting rocks, trees, and water elements. i think i'm particularly interested in creating a small stable of sub-assemblies to throw around to accent whatever larger things i might create.

The only thing I utterly despise about current Bionicle is the story is way simplified compared to the original. Otherwise it's a solid revival.

Lego-gaf, I want to MOC a bunch of nature scenery. Does anyone have any recommendations for sets or other peoples' MOCs to look at for ideas on how to handle such things? especially interesting rocks, trees, and water elements. i think i'm particularly interested in creating a small stable of sub-assemblies to throw around to accent whatever larger things i might create.
For actual sets to learn rocks and trees, Silver Mine Shootout and Ewok Village. That's all I got off the top of my head.

If I remember later I will take some pics of some small custom trees I did for something a bit different from those sets.

For actual sets to learn rocks and trees, Silver Mine Shootout and Ewok Village. That's all I got off the top of my head.

If I remember later I will take some pics of some small custom trees I did for something a bit different from those sets.

Oh. I hadn't even thought of going to look at the pdf of the ewok village directions. thanks.

I do have silver mine shootout (currently broken to pieces on my bedroom floor, coincidentally). It'll be a big source of inspiration on the rock side in all likelihood. Though, I think its bigger design lesson will actually be "asymmetrical builds can be sweet as heck."

I guess I also have a couple tree-related Hobbit sets, though I feel a strong conviction that I can do better than that in terms of satisfaction-to-piece-usage ratio somehow. Still, gotta start somewhere i guess.

Torn on the Mystery Machine.

For $30, it was a really fast build. It has 23 stickers to apply too. With all the stickers, most kids probably could not complete the build on their own. If it wasn't such an iconic set, I would actually recommend a sale price for this one.

On the plus side, it looks great and the vehicle is very solid once complete. They also nailed the overall design extremely well. The interior is a nice touch.

Some of the old, desiccated trees I was adding to my halloween display. They are almost exclusively technic pins and joints. I don't exactly know where I got the idea from, but I probably saw something similar in a random MOC online one year. I just cannot pinpoint where.

wetwired

Some of the old, desiccated trees I was adding to my halloween display. They are almost exclusively technic pins and joints. I don't exactly know where I got the idea from, but I probably saw something similar in a random MOC online one year. I just cannot pinpoint where.

speaking of trees I'm internally debating what to do with the massive sticker on the tree in the mystery machine set. I don't know if I should apply it and use the piece on a larger tree or not and build a cooler freaky tree with a face out of real bricks.

I plan on putting the stickers on the mystery machine itself as it won't look the same without them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom