• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Only after they nerfed the Jedi. Was it ever explained why the Jedi couldn't just toss Grevious around, you know, like how Yoda threw Palpy across the room, or force grab his lightsabers, or crush his skull?
He was moving way too fast and making them too afraid to concentrate. Most Jedi can't use the force with that much precision in a stressful situation.

Jedi did manage to tag him a few times, but each time he got back up. Mace Windu had the advantage of being an experienced master and getting him when he was standing still.

The thing about Grievous is he's supposed to be a dangerous Jedi killer. There's a reason he has a trophy collection of lightsabers. The second Clone Wars series had him pose a threat through a combination of guile and his own decent fighting abilities, while the first just had him as a ludicrously badass and unorthodox fighter no Jedi could have been prepared for. Both of those work, but it's hard not to miss the amazing lightsaber breakdancing abilities of the original Grievous.

I read the thread. I want the LEGO. I see the depth of the rabbit hole. I become afraid and back away slowly.

But I really want the Wall-E set and the Mystery Machine. Eep.

I was going to wait till I had a chance to go through it and take some better pics, but since we're on the topic this afternoon, here's what I bought from an ad on Kijiji (free ad site like Craigs list) over the weekend here in Halifax, NS. Had been asking C$3500 when it was posted 6 weeks ago and I went to take a look but passed. He became very motivated to get rid of it before this past Sunday since he was moving 500Km and into a smaller house. Got it for C$2300 (but without his Ecto-1 or Simpsons series 1 & 2 minifigs, which I already had, which saved me an extra 300). It's sorted pretty good, lots of manuals plus some boxes. Guess I'll be starting a Bricklink/Ebay store sometime soon so I can make some $$ for the new sets coming out ;) If anyone sees something they might be interested in, PM me.

It probably would cost just a few hundred for labor to just sort it that well. Excellent deal. Love the vintage stuff.

I read the thread. I want the LEGO. I see the depth of the rabbit hole. I become afraid and back away slowly.

But I really want the Wall-E set and the Mystery Machine. Eep.

Think of it this way. You can buy both and if you have buyer's remorse, most likely be able to sell them for the same that you paid (once the sets are no longer available retail). Sometimes you can even make money on licensed sets on those in a few years. That's like getting the sets for a time for FREE!!! Or maybe getting paid to have and play with the sets for a few years!

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I'm going off impressions. Myself, I've got a custom Burton batmobile that (I think) does a much better job than anything Lego will do.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should post a pic later to gather thoughts.

Pics pics pics

TheFuzz

Pics pics pics

pwFpccG.jpg

nD8rRIN.jpg

Not entirely my design, looked at many of them online and original pictures to get the rear to my liking.

Amiibro

You can now download the LEGO Fall 2015 US catalog. It's a big file at 250mb.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/skins//LEGO/3633-usfall-basepdf

All the new Star Wars sets are in there. One thing I noticed is that the price of Wall-E is actually listed at $59.99. This is now the 2nd time where a LEGO press release got the price wrong after the Ferrari's incorrect $89.99 price.

I wonder if Amazon will credit me back $10 once they fix the price. Either way I'm not gonna cancel I applied gift cards to it already.

neonglow

I wonder if Amazon will credit me back $10 once they fix the price. Either way I'm not gonna cancel I applied gift cards to it already.

I'm actually saying that the real price is $59.99 and the LEGO press release was wrong just like it was wrong for the Ferrari set.

MXRider

You can now download the LEGO Fall 2015 US catalog. It's a big file at 250mb.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/skins//LEGO/3633-usfall-basepdf

All the new Star Wars sets are in there. One thing I noticed is that the price of Wall-E is actually listed at $59.99. This is now the 2nd time where a LEGO press release got the price wrong after the Ferrari's incorrect $89.99 price.

The Darth Vader figure is $30? Lame, I thought they were all $20.

Amiibro

I'm actually saying that the real price is $59.99 and the LEGO press release was wrong just like it was wrong for the Ferrari set.

Ah, I misunderstood sorry. I know I read a page or two back about the possibility of the set being $49.99.

I'm just excited to get it this is the one set my wife has shown intrest in.

Indicate

I always wanted this train as a kid. I would look at it in my lego magazines and also hold it in my hands whenever I'm at the toys section of a store hoping that one day I would be able to play with it. Seeing this makes me sad since I still don't have it.

neonglow

I always wanted this train as a kid. I would look at it in my lego magazines and also hold it in my hands whenever I'm at the toys section of a store hoping that one day I would be able to play with it. Seeing this makes me sad since I still don't have it.

I'm sure someday LEGO will make a similar model since it's so iconic. That train was featured in those LEGO magazines for so many years.

wetwired

This was the one that got away for me, I was approaching 13 and my parents thought I was too old for LEGO and wouldn't get it. I longed for it all these years :(

6346-1.jpg

Buying this one years later made up for it....I guess :/

10231-1.jpg

Markus

This was the one that got away for me, I was approaching 13 and my parents thought I was too old for LEGO and wouldn't get it. I longed for it all these years :(

I know I have a few space sets in that lot somewhere from the 80's to 2000's, like the spaceport below. I'll have to take a better look to see if I happen to have that shuttle set ;)
brickpicker_set_3368_5.jpg

The Metro Liner (I think it is the 4558 version from 1991 that I have) train was one of the items that really caught my interest in this collection I snagged. And I'm pretty sure the train is complete with box and instructions too (maybe pm me if interested, Indicate). Lego trains are certainly one of the best lines form the company and definitely under represented in this forum (as great as it is)

Indicate

I'm sure someday LEGO will make a similar model since it's so iconic. That train was featured in those LEGO magazines for so many years.
Yeah, the Christmas editions didn't help. Jealousy ensued.

I'd probably do the same thing as you wetwired if a newer and similar model came out. I'd buy it to compensate for not having the old model, but would still be left feeling not truly satisfied because it's not the same.

I know I have a few space sets in that lot somewhere from the 80's to 2000's, like the spaceport below. I'll have to take a better look to see if I happen to have that shuttle set ;)

The Metro Liner (I think it is the 4558 version from 1991 that I have) train was one of the items that really caught my interest in this collection I snagged. And I'm pretty sure the train is complete with box and instructions too (maybe pm me if interested, Indicate). Lego trains are certainly one of the best lines form the company and definitely under represented in this forum (as great as it is)

That's really nice of you, but I prefer an unused set. Thanks for the offer though.

Man, talking about old sets that we wanted sure is bringing up memories. I remember the same store that had the train had one more left and it was on sale. The store was closing so it was getting rid of everything. I was really happy when I saw this because I knew the lower price would finally allow me to get it. So several days later I convinced my mom to buy it since I've wanted it for such a long time. Unfortunately, when we came back to the store shortly after it was of course gone. :(

The other train set that I wanted was this one though not as much as the metroliner.

As far as newer sets go, nothing has really caught my attention. I haven't actually bought Lego since around grade 5 or 6 with the exception of a few months ago where I bought a dozen or so bricks for my architecture studio course. The Lego movie and this thread definitely reminded me of my childhood and now I want to start collecting again. I'll probably start small with minifigures. For trains... subways, streetcars, and LRTs would be really cool to have. City Square isn't really doing it for me. I was looking around and found that someone has suggested a Lego version of what we have in Toronto. Having something similar would be nice.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gonna grab Parisian this weekend! I hope they still have stock when I go to the shop.

Speaking of which, what Modular is great next to Parisian?

teeny

Just a heads up, The Entertainer (UK) is currently having a "buy one get one for a penny" on a bunch of toys, including Lego.

I saw a B-Wing, Benny's Spaceship, Ninjago Mech Dragon and a bunch of Ultra Agents sets in the mix in Maidstone which is contrary to the website. However, I can't afford any Lego at the moment as I'm waiting for next week! :( There might be different stuff in other stores.

Gonna grab Parisian this weekend! I hope they still have stock when I go to the shop.

Speaking of which, what Modular is great next to Parisian?

Parisian Restaurant has a different architectural style to most of the others (which are mostly modified Brownstones). So I would say either build them in order or Palace Cinema.

Koren

Wetwired: your "smoking man" is just great... I hope I'll be able to add him to the agents (on this matter, I think my postman has tried to bring them to me when I was away, I'll try to fetch them...)

Something else, completely, and out of curiosity... Is the Pet Shop a decent basis to build a sand blue version of the "Green" Grocer, or should I directly go to bricklink?

I expect I'll be left with plently of unused parts (which is fine) and need to bricklink plently of others, but I've read people have apparently used PS as a basis, so I'm curious.

Nostaliga posts! I love it.

I was largely out of LEGO by 1984-1985. I realize now that it probably correlates directly to the day my parents bought me this on a trip to Florida.

Two years later I was full swing into the series when we discovered this:

I think this explains why I only have two post 1984 sets:

Which frankly still holds up today. When I rediscovered the hobby in 2012 (26 years later, wow) I built all of my old sets including the Airport. I still love all the details and the baseplates are great. My other post 1984 set is the moronic one below. Even as a kid this thing didn't make any sense. The concept of a vehicle using legs like that was ridiculous. I always thought the parts were amazing but the execution was weak. With all that being said, it holds a special place in my heart as the Blue spaceman immediately became my favorite fig. It's the only one I ever had.

In terms of sets that I really wanted before I got out of LEGO, there weren't that many. I ended up getting the set I really wanted (Beta Command Base) for Christmas one year, and I've still got it on display. The focus on White/Blue color schemes for the latter Space sets always felt foreign to me, but this one was especially cool. I totally missed out on all the Blacktron sets and Galaxy Explorer was never even on my radar. I know that's sacrilege!

I think the last Space set I wanted but didn't get was the Inter-Galactic Command Base.

While I was a Space guy my step-brother was more on the Castle theme. He had this set which I was insanely jealous of. I spent a lot of time playing with it but wanted one of my own. I had a few smaller ones like the Siege Tower and the Catapult but they were dwarfed by this bad boy. Now that I think about it, this is definitely my "one that got away". Also Optimus Prime goddammit. He had a little rover thing in the back of his cab and I never got him.

Koren

Since everybody is turning nostalgic...

There's plently of sets I remember fondly (the 6392 airport being one). I'm lucky enough to still have them, including boxes and manuals, although I can't see myself displaying them (a bit bare for that).

I don't have real regrets about not being able to put my hands on a set, but if there's one, that probably would be this one~:
8094closed.jpg

I'd still be interested in it today, although I've a couple Mindstorm boxes (the first one being the Robotic Inventions box including a RCX offered by friends twelve years ago... I hadn't touch a Lego for years, and a couple days later, my parents were surprised to see me digging them out of storage ^_^ )

Wetwired: your "smoking man" is just great... I hope I'll be able to add him to the agents (on this matter, I think my postman has tried to bring them to me when I was away, I'll try to fetch them...)

Something else, completely, and out of curiosity... Is the Pet Shop a decent basis to build a sand blue version of the "Green" Grocer, or should I directly go to bricklink?

I expect I'll be left with plently of unused parts (which is fine) and need to bricklink plently of others, but I've read people have apparently used PS as a basis, so I'm curious.

I wouldn't think so. The bulk of the Green Grocer is 44 1x4 bricks and 50 1x8 bricks, and you get none of the latter in sand blue in Pet Shop. While you probably get a lot of useful generic bricks in Pet Shop, it's probably more effective to buy the big lots on Bricklink.

Woot! I found series 14 at the grocery store so I grabbed sixteen randoms, and it turned out that I got eleven different ones (missing werewolf, witch, plant, cheerleader and bigfoot).

Quite impressed by these. The printing is ace and there's a ton of detail with both dual molding and prints on some parts. I didn't have any of the Ninjago ghosts so that's a new impressive-looking part. Also a big fan of the zombie business guy's hair - that will be extremely useful.

peely

Neo Member
Just a heads up, The Entertainer (UK) is currently having a "buy one get one for a penny" on a bunch of toys, including Lego.

I saw a B-Wing, Benny's Spaceship, Ninjago Mech Dragon and a bunch of Ultra Agents sets in the mix in Maidstone which is contrary to the website. However, I can't afford any Lego at the moment as I'm waiting for next week! :( There might be different stuff in other stores.

ooooo Benny's Spaceship and a B-wing for £80 via the website ... tempting ....

Bit of a long shot but if anyone's around Kingston in the UK I have a Benny's Spaceship for sale for £40. Went to the Entertainer and there was nothing else I wanted so I bought two so I could pass the saving on!

Thanks for mentioning the sale =)

Koren

I wouldn't think so. The bulk of the Green Grocer is 44 1x4 bricks and 50 1x8 bricks, and you get none of the latter in sand blue in Pet Shop. While you probably get a lot of useful generic bricks in Pet Shop, it's probably more effective to buy the big lots on Bricklink.
I see...

I'm not overly worried by 1:1, though, and if there's two 1x8 in line, I'm fine with 1x6+1x6+1x4 if it works. Or two 1x4 instead of 1x8. Especially on the sides.

Since I've heard people using PS as a basis for a blue version of GG (then bricklinked the rest), I was wondering why. If there's a good basis, at least I won't have to BL all the pieces, and avoid some shipping costs...

(and d*mn my post office closed 5 minutes before I reached it, I won't have my agents before friday T_T )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bit of a long shot but if anyone's around Kingston in the UK I have a Benny's Spaceship for sale for £40. Went to the Entertainer and there was nothing else I wanted so I bought two so I could pass the saving on!

Thanks for mentioning the sale =)

I live in Windsor - I'd take benny off your hands if it is still available. Happy to pay cash or possibly trade if intersted? Have a sopwith camel (built once) or a Highway Haulers (never built). Both boxed and I'd swap either directly.

Since everybody is turning nostalgic...

I don't have real regrets about not being able to put my hands on a set, but if there's one, that probably would be this one~:
8094closed.jpg

Ah yes, I loved this one. There was a LEGO competition in a local shop when I was a kid and I built a Porsche that could be controlled with the controller and it was displayed in the store. When I got there to get my model back, the controller was missing, so the shop gave me this complete set again. Awesome

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When is wall-e supposed to be out? John Lewis in the Uk are showing stock at the moment. Still nothing showing up on the Lego UK website (they have the ninjago set showing as coming soon for Sep 1)

Was thinking to take a trip to the Lego store next week, but tempted to just pick it up from JL

willp2003

Wall-e is out in sept 1st apparently
Debating whether to order one from Amazon, or wait and see if there are any freebies with the Lego site

When is wall-e supposed to be out? John Lewis in the Uk are showing stock at the moment.

Well now I'm tempted to make a trip out tomorrow! I wonder if they have it in-store or whether they're selling it online only at the moment.

Is it worth sacrificing my VIP points to get it a few days early...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom