• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Here's the Star Wars celebration set for this year:

LEGO_CELEBRATION2017_exclusive2.jpg

Can't figure out why they don't release uniques stuff like this as normal sets........btw, what was last year's SW CELEBRATION set?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's 1.5x the width of a standard modular.
Yes... It's a 48x32 set instead of a 32x32 one. Although I'm not sure it's that larger in volume... I think a lot of the pieces went into microbuilds and details. It's definitively larger than other ones, though.
it's a terrifying monstrous pile of lego yes.it's not just a building arranged around a courtyard. it's nearly 2 full buildings.
assembly square: ~4000 pieces
fire brigade: 2231
grand emporium ~2200

time to save up

mclem

Easter sales are starting to appear, and one that struck me in the UK that's a little esoteric but might suit some people: There's BOGOF on a (small) number of lego sets at The Entertainer, but that does include a couple of £60 sets; Lego Friends Treehouse and Sky High Battle.

Hopefully this means the Batman figs start getting reduced to clear all over the place soon. I've been waiting for them to drop below £3 for ages because £60 for a set of minifigs is way beyond what I'm prepared to pay!

UK: down to two quid in Sainsbury's from tomorrow, if you're waiting. They'll go cheaper, but I think I'm gonna crack at this point because getting a full set is gonna be tough the longer I leave it!

I know no one has time for this but Lego Worlds update:

Found old Dino sets + dinosaurs in one world plus a few Monster Fighters sets + Minifigs in another world.

ghostmind

LEGO is no longer accepting Ideas submissions from active 3rd party licences: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/136

These include:

Entertainment
Star Wars, MARVEL Super Heroes, DC Super Heroes & Super Hero Girls, The LEGO Batman Movie, The LEGO NINJAGO Movie, The LEGO Movie, Disney characters (Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy & Tinker Bell), Moana, Rapunzel, Aladdin, Cars, Whisker Haven Tales with the Palace Pets , Angry Birds, Pirates of the Caribbean, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Miles From Tomorrowland, Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, The Simpsons, Knight Rider, Mission Impossible, Midway Arcade, Lord of the Rings, Gremlins, A-Team, Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, Sonic the Hedgehog, Portal 2, E.T. & The Wizard of Oz.

Automotive brands
Volkswagen, Ferrari, MINI, Porsche, BMW, CLAAS, Volvo, Mercedes, Ford, Audi, Bugatti, Chevrolet & McLaren.

Architecture
Stand alone buildings (Big Ben, London Tower Bridge, US Capitol Building, Louvre, Buckingham Palace, Burj Khalifa, Eiffel Tower & Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum).

Buildings contained in the skylines (London, Sydney, Chicago, Venice, Berlin & New York).

LEGO is no longer accepting Ideas submissions from active 3rd party licences: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/136

These include:

Entertainment
Automotive brands
Architecture

They probably should have made this their official policy ages ago, but it's good to get confirmation.

There was some really cool licensed stuff on Ideas, so I hope those people still put their work on MOC sites so we can at least get instructions and can make them ourselves if it's something really special. I'd hate for people to not post their creations since they won't be able to be voted on to become full sets someday.

Eh speaking of kids, my 3 year old just built a Speed champions set (well he built like 70% of it to be fair and i had to supervise him since he screwed up on like 2 or 3 occasions but still kudos to him)

wetwired

These include:

Entertainment
Star Wars, MARVEL Super Heroes, DC Super Heroes & Super Hero Girls, The LEGO Batman Movie, The LEGO NINJAGO Movie, The LEGO Movie, Disney characters (Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy & Tinker Bell), Moana, Rapunzel, Aladdin, Cars, Whisker Haven Tales with the Palace Pets , Angry Birds, Pirates of the Caribbean, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Miles From Tomorrowland, Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, The Simpsons, Knight Rider, Mission Impossible, Midway Arcade, Lord of the Rings, Gremlins, A-Team, Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, Sonic the Hedgehog, Portal 2, E.T. & The Wizard of Oz.

Automotive brands
Volkswagen, Ferrari, MINI, Porsche, BMW, CLAAS, Volvo, Mercedes, Ford, Audi, Bugatti, Chevrolet & McLaren.

Architecture
Stand alone buildings (Big Ben, London Tower Bridge, US Capitol Building, Louvre, Buckingham Palace, Burj Khalifa, Eiffel Tower & Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum).

Buildings contained in the skylines (London, Sydney, Chicago, Venice, Berlin & New York).

Good, I'd rather they be up front about this on submission rather than continually accepting ideas and getting people's hopes up (see just about every star wars submission ever to reach 10k)

otapnam

Eh speaking of kids, my 3 year old just built a Speed champions set (well he built like 70% of it to be fair and i had to supervise him since he screwed up on like 2 or 3 occasions but still kudos to him)

My 2 yr old daughter is getting there.... in a few more months I will start opening the vault I've started amassing:)

wetwired

So I managed to snag 2x the Classic Batcave this morning on sale, down from AUD$400 to AUD$200

One is for my son for his birthday in October, the other I need the large baseplates and BURPS for by display this year so I'll probably sell off the minigs and vehicles...considering I already own two Batcaves already :p

DonShula

Well they can see how the big temple set sold. if a $300 dollar set exists I'd assume the results of that one were favorable.

The Lego Store ended up having to clearance that one out though. Discount temples were around for awhile. I guess it's possible they clearanced it out to make room for this bigger set though.

Ponn

Banned
So I managed to snag 2x the Classic Batcave this morning on sale, down from AUD$400 to AUD$200

One is for my son for his birthday in October, the other I need the large baseplates and BURPS for by display this year so I'll probably sell off the minigs and vehicles...considering I already own two Batcaves already :p

Right?! Been saying it everytime I hype that set. It's a gold mine of plates and unique large pieces.

Will wait and see on that large Ninjago set. Hoping it's not a large disjointed city playset. A large $300 Destinys Bounty airship would be fantastic.

At which retailer ?

Wow, I'd have loved the Classic Batcave at 1/2 price. (I got it as a gift, which is probably the only way I would have gotten it)

I'm a huge fan of the old Batman TV show so I had a lot of nostalgia for the set, but it's not one I loved overall as an actual set. I didn't even build the helicopter pad since it didn't seem interesting at all. But the huge plates are definitely great to have. Overall I'd probably have preferred that they knocked $60-100 off and it didn't have the tall building portion and the helipad and just had the office diorama, Batmobile, Helicopter, and Batcave.

I love some of the huge LEGO sets, but I just don't have it in my budget to really splurge on those sets. If the Marvel Helicarrier ever went on sale I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

At least the larger sets make good birthday/Christmas gifts, especially the Modular buildings. :D

wetwired

Wow, I'd have loved the Classic Batcave at 1/2 price. (I got it as a gift, which is probably the only way I would have gotten it)

I'm a huge fan of the old Batman TV show so I had a lot of nostalgia for the set, but it's not one I loved overall as an actual set. I didn't even build the helicopter pad since it didn't seem interesting at all. But the huge plates are definitely great to have. Overall I'd probably have preferred that they knocked $60-100 off and it didn't have the tall building portion and the helipad and just had the office diorama, Batmobile, Helicopter, and Batcave.

I love some of the huge LEGO sets, but I just don't have it in my budget to really splurge on those sets. If the Marvel Helicarrier ever went on sale I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

At least the larger sets make good birthday/Christmas gifts, especially the Modular buildings. :D

I think in general it was a bit of a stretch to market a AUD$400 set for a 50 year old TV show to a mostly kids market. I think they would have sold more overall if they'd ditch most of the playset components and split the vehicles and minifigs up across 3 smaller/cheaper sets. Less profit per unit but I'd wager it would have brought in more money overall due to the quantity they'd sell for being cheaper, especially a the Batmobile itself

I know no one has time for this but Lego Worlds update:

Found old Dino sets + dinosaurs in one world plus a few Monster Fighters sets + Minifigs in another world.

You convinced me. It's on sale at GameStop for $20. Need to beat a few more shrines in Zelda and I'll check it out. Would a 5 year old like it?

You convinced me. It's on sale at GameStop for $20. Need to beat a few more shrines in Zelda and I'll check it out. Would a 5 year old like it?

The interface and controls are a bit but more complex than regular Lego games but they're more accessible than most world building games.

Also it's got an awesome grappling hook that is fun once you figure out how to use it midair.

... Oh and I found an Atlantis vehicle and was super surprised to find a rideable flame Mixel around a junkyard. You can also force sea creatures to roam on dry land which seems cruel but they dont seem to mind.

Ponn

Banned
I was planning on getting like 1 or 2 brickheads to complete my Shop order, which ones are considered the "best" so far?

I haven't built all mine yet but your own personal tastes will play a part as far as characters. Joker is my favorite so far and was pretty fun to build. His hair felt like 80% of the build. You might want Batman to go with him which overall was meh but he's Batman and his eyes supposedly glow in the dark but I haven't seen it yet. The Beauty and the Beast ones might be relevant if you have kids.

DonShula

Is Battle on Takodana worth $36? I keep getting an Amazon ad for it at the bottom of mobile GAF.

Edit: now it wants me to buy the TIE Striker for $48.99 but I'm sure that one will come down further.

I think in general it was a bit of a stretch to market a AUD$400 set for a 50 year old TV show to a mostly kids market. I think they would have sold more overall if they'd ditch most of the playset components and split the vehicles and minifigs up across 3 smaller/cheaper sets. Less profit per unit but I'd wager it would have brought in more money overall due to the quantity they'd sell for being cheaper, especially a the Batmobile itself

Completely agree, I think that series could have been great as a few smaller sets. Like with the Ghostbusters we got the Ecto-1 and then the Firehouse, instead of a more expensive bundle of both of them together.

I'm just glad I managed to get the Mr. Freeze mini-fig when that was available too, it's nice to have the full set of minifigs.

Experien

Is Battle on Takodana worth $36? I keep getting an Amazon ad for it at the bottom of mobile GAF.

Edit: now it wants me to buy the TIE Striker for $48.99 but I'm sure that one will come down further.

I asked the same and also threw in the non-Tattooine sand shop and most people here were negative about them.

Ponn

Banned
I asked the same and also threw in the non-Tattooine sand shop and most people here were negative about them.

I don't have either of those because I strictly limited myself to only Star Wars ships when I decided to take the plunge into the dark side. The problem may be I don't think i'm alone in sticking to mainly ships so there may not be alot here that bought those sets. I do remember seeing someone here buying multiples of that Takodana set and mocing a very large version of that, so that person must have liked that set on some level. Sorry I don't remember who that was but it was a great looking MOC. My overall suggestion is if you are buying a set piece set like those its either for the display value that you want to setup a scene or there are unique figs or parts that you want from it.

wetwired

Completely agree, I think that series could have been great as a few smaller sets. Like with the Ghostbusters we got the Ecto-1 and then the Firehouse, instead of a more expensive bundle of both of them together.

I'm just glad I managed to get the Mr. Freeze mini-fig when that was available too, it's nice to have the full set of minifigs.

We'll get Egg Head too at least in the 2nd wave of the TLBM sets. Though I don't know how accurate he is to the old show

DonShula

Yeah I got to looking at both of them and they're kind of sad. The Jakku set at least has that sweet looking beast thing. But Takodana is basically "hey look it's Maz and Kylo Ren." Which almost works for me because my kids don't have a Kylo Ren yet.

Hmm my mom wants to know what I want for my college graduation present and I'm thinking of palace cinema right now because it could retire this year and I probably wont be able to afford a modular building for a while but detective office looks so good and has an infinitely better interior. I think palace cinema looks better from the outside though. Nyugh....

Top Bottom