• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what?

Educated people live longer n shit. Something must offset the stress induced damage.
A master's degree in Biomedicine, most likely, and then I'll use that time to network and explore what I'd want to pursue on a doctoral level. (Or not. Who knows?) I'm trying to keep my options open without being drifting completely aimlessly...I hope.

Maybe refusing to join the real world for a few more years adds to the lifespan. Or it's all the Adderall that people abuse.

A master's degree in Biomedicine, most likely, and then I'll use that time to network and explore what I'd want to pursue on a doctoral level. (Or not. Who knows?) I'm trying to keep my options open without being drifting completely aimlessly...I hope.

Maybe refusing to join the real world for a few more years adds to the lifespan. Or it's all the Adderall that people abuse.

Oh cool. Sciences like that always seem so arcane to me, like you need some significant post-grad stuff to get past the basics. Makes those weird wizard hats they make the masters graduates wear more appropriate:

0_22782_1343784796.6373.jpg

Yeah that might help, too. I used to criticize academia for being sort of a bubble, but it's kind of a sweet bubble. And for all we know amphetamines might be like neuroprotective or something :p

Caladrius

My gaydar is telling me trig dude is probably straight. I'm not exactly sure what it is that makes me think that, though.

Profound sadness if true

He's fashionable but he's transparently a bit of a meek dork. (In a good way)
Exactly the kind of man I'd like to plow like a jackhammer

-

Also I tried meditating today.

Granted, it was to keep me from storming out of class in a rage, but it seemed to work!

I've tried meditating before, but it didn't work because I have an attention span worse than a squirrel. This time I just started whispering a mantra I remember hearing and concentrated on saying it over and over.

I probably ended up being sacrilegious without even knowing it. :x

Granted, it was to keep me from storming out of class in a rage, but it seemed to work!

I've tried meditating before, but it didn't work because I have an attention span worse than a squirrel. This time I just started whispering a mantra I remember hearing and concentrated on saying it over and over.

I probably ended up being sacrilegious without even knowing it. :x

Nah, I subscribe to the position that mantras aren't necessarily semantic (well, they can be, but those are particular) I think it's more about the sound or repetition itself, since repetition is one way of really effectively 'purifying' your mind of thoughts or speech. I don't use mantas much, but I've been pretty into Dzogchen lately and they use the seed syllable 'A' (as in "father") as symbolic for the primordial state/rigpa, because it's the most unfabricated or uncontrived sound. There are also some meaningful symbolism in terms of the Tibetan writing system, where the written letter 'A' in Tibetan is the template or progenitor of all other graphemes. It's just a relative representation of something a lot more fundamental or important, though (the direct experience of emptiness itself in this case). So sometimes they are fairly symbolic, but in my experience it's in kind of a loose, abstract, or aesthetic way, like "a finger pointing at the moon isn't the moon", that sort of thing.

I'm glad you had success with it. One thing about meditation that is kind of hard to understand at first, is that it isn't necessarily about concentration in a conventional sense. A lot of the time I think it's better likened to 'undistractability'. That may seem to be saying the same thing at first, but the attitude that is usually conveyed by either idea is different. Instead it's rather that our mind tends to get snagged on things, habitual thoughts ("I wonder what I'll have for supper today?"), or passions, or even like the movie you watched earlier. You're just practicing the ability to notice these thoughts, and let them go so they don't just hold you hostage until they run their course. It's more like a sort of freedom, or simply 'not being distracted'; as opposed to being 'concentrated'. If you remain 'not distracted' for long enough, your mind will naturally collect itself on its own.

DOWN

Banned
beach is close enough for you. my parents live in melbourne. Im going to be visiting during my unemployed phase. Anything you woukd recommend seeing or doing?
I feel very boring when I get asked something like this because I can never remember if there's anything notable. The beach is the only thing that comes to mind, but if I can think of something else good I'll mention it...

You two should hook up.

Buy me mozzarella sticks first.
30 Rock
Exactly the kind of man I'd like to plow like a jackhammer

-

Transitions on point.

Oh cool. Sciences like that always seem so arcane to me, like you need some significant post-grad stuff to get past the basics. Makes those weird wizard hats they make the masters graduates wear more appropriate:

0_22782_1343784796.6373.jpg

Yeah that might help, too. I used to criticize academia for being sort of a bubble, but it's kind of a sweet bubble. And for all we know amphetamines might be like neuroprotective or something :p
You definitely don't for the basics! (Well...kind of. And even the most learned among us know only so much.) And beyond that, some of it comes from practice (since geniuses before us have paved the path forward), but there's indeed an overwhelming amount of knowledge and a lot of complex sub-sub-fields in every discipline. That's what makes it so hard to know what exactly to pursue a PhD in and do for the a large part of my life. I'm but a newborn when it comes to learning.

I'm committed to the path of wizardry, though. (Well, an off-shoot of "alchemy", I guess; close enough.) There's just so many cool and ground-breaking things happening in so many different fields of research that I can't imagine being a part of anything else. We know so much, in human terms, yet we're only scratching the surface of what reality has to offer. Plus, I feel like I've been privileged with opportunities that I can't afford to waste and others would die for. I feel like I have a duty. You've seemed to have found your own path to learning, though. Diversity is a cornerstone of life.

Caladrius

What was the mantra?

Om Mani Padme Hum, which if I remember right has some relation to Brahma. I'd have used a different one but that's all I knew.

Nah, I subscribe to the position that mantras aren't necessarily semantic (well, they can be, but those are particular) I think it's more about the sound or repetition itself, since repetition is one way of really effectively 'purifying' your mind of thoughts or speech. I don't use mantas much, but I've been pretty into Dzogchen lately and they use the seed syllable 'A' (as in "father") as symbolic for the primordial state/rigpa, because it's the most unfabricated or uncontrived sound. There are also some meaningful symbolism in terms of the Tibetan writing system, where the written letter 'A' in Tibetan is the template or progenitor of all other graphemes. It's just a relative representation of something a lot more fundamental or important, though (the direct experience of emptiness itself in this case). So sometimes they are fairly symbolic, but in my experience it's in kind of a loose, abstract, or aesthetic way, like "a finger pointing at the moon isn't the moon", that sort of thing.

I'm glad you had success with it. One thing about meditation that is kind of hard to understand at first, is that it isn't necessarily about concentration in a conventional sense. A lot of the time I think it's better likened to 'undistractability'. That may seem to be saying the same thing at first, but the attitude that is usually conveyed by either idea is different. Instead it's rather that our mind tends to get snagged on things, habitual thoughts ("I wonder what I'll have for supper today?"), or passions, or even like the movie you watched earlier. You're just practicing the ability to notice these thoughts, and let them go so they don't just hold you hostage until they run their course. It's more like a sort of freedom, or simply 'not being distracted'; as opposed to being 'concentrated'. If you remain 'not distracted' for long enough, your mind will naturally collect itself on its own.

That's somewhat reassuring. That said I'd like to research some more secular lines.

For me everything (except talking, which still got my attention and broke the sensation a few times, this was class after all) kind of just faded. I felt it was there, but just making the utterances to myself subtly took me over and pushed everything into the background.

Transitions on point.

I edited the first line in after the fact.

Probably why my posts look so disjointed half the time. >___>

Well, that and I type in stream-of-consciousness.

You definitely don't for the basics! (Well...kind of. And even the most learned among us know only so much.) And beyond that, some of it comes from practice (since geniuses before us have paved the path forward), but there's indeed an overwhelming amount of knowledge and a lot of complex sub-sub-fields in every discipline. That's what makes it so hard to know what exactly to pursue a PhD in and do for the a large part of my life. I'm but a newborn when it comes to learning.

I'm committed to the path of wizardry, though. (Well, an off-shoot of "alchemy", I guess; close enough.) There's just so many cool and ground-breaking things happening in so many different fields of research that I can't imagine being a part of anything else. We know so much, in human terms, yet we're only scratching the surface of what reality has to offer. Plus, I feel like I've been privileged with opportunities that I can't afford to waste and others would die for. I feel like I have a duty. You've seemed to have found your own path to learning, though. Diversity is a cornerstone of life.

Yeah! I'm taking a Neuropsych class this term, and one day a doctorate student from the medical neuroscience department came to give a presentation for people that might want to go that route. When he started talking about all the different specializations and research methods all I could think was that I had no idea what that selection process might be like. The reason he came was to lower the barrier of entry and make it easier for people, but for me all it did is make me appreciate how complicated it is. lol.

There is a lot of cool stuff to do. That's a really nice thing about 'open' fields, they have to be so stimulating. And it helps if they're really important or have the potential to help a lot of people.

Weirdly enough I'm coming around to personality or social psychology. It's a really weird discipline because as one of my profs put it, it is a 'science' (in the sense that it adheres, or tries to adhere to the method), but the object it is trying to address (the human psyche) is 'metaphysical'. So in practice you get a lot of really cool theories that are useful in particular contexts, but the sense that what you're doing is like quasi-scientific at best.

That's somewhat reassuring. That said I'd like to research some more secular lines.

For me everything (except talking, which still got my attention and broke the sensation a few times, this was class after all) kind of just faded. I felt it was there, but just making the utterances to myself subtly took me over and pushed everything into the background.

Yeah, meditation in practice really doesn't need to be religious. Though even in a secular context there can be some problems with terminology, because though the methods themselves may not be very culturally dependent, when they're brought into our culture we don't have a very specific vocabulary for it. I know a lot of current research uses terms like "Focused Attention" to describe what I would probably call "tranquility" meditation, or "Open Monitoring" to describe what might be more commonly described as "mindfulness meditation". But in practice both kinds are just the ability to apply three interrelated mental faculties. You have to be able to keep in mind what you are supposed to be doing, and bring it back in mind when you forget (Recollection/Mindfulness). You also need to be able to observe what your mind is doing in the present moment (Alertness). And finally you need to be able to balance how you apply yourself to the task, so you're never over-exerting or under-exerting yourself (Ardency). Then they just work together, recollection and alertness allow you to evaluate the state of what you're doing non-conceptually, and recollection and ardency allow you to extend the period you can "keep in mind" your given task. If you're going for more awareness of phenomena, you emphasize alertness more because that's the faculty that has recognition. If you want calm, you emphasize recollection more because that's the one that shades into tranquility, but all three are necessarily present regardless of what you're doing. When you look at it that way, there's really nothing culturally dependent about it, these are basic skills we all have already. But still a lot of the instruction you find isn't really secular, probably because it's still a fairly new thing culturally for secular people to adopt the practice.

What you described is basically how 'tranquility' (or concentration, they mean the same thing in this context) tends to unfold. Your mind will feel a bit more secluded than normal. It's often a really enjoyable feeling.

Kevyt

My gaydar is telling me trig dude is probably straight. I'm not exactly sure what it is that makes me think that, though.

Profound sadness if true

He's fashionable but he's transparently a bit of a meek dork. (In a good way)
Exactly the kind of man I'd like to plow like a jackhammerSPOILER]

-
Oh that's sad... is there anything specific that made you think this way?

I feel very boring when I get asked something like this because I can never remember if there's anything notable. The beach is the only thing that comes to mind, but if I can think of something else good I'll mention it...

Buy me mozzarella sticks first.
30 Rock

Transitions on point.

we have plans to hook up in a hollywood studios bathroom.

Well I gave you two an idea....

Morning all

Good morning!

I had an interview the other day and i felt i really bombed it. the interviewer asked if I had experience with this and that and i had to say no. I thought the job description was wildly inaccurate. But it turns out i have another interview with the hiring manager. Lawd, my heart cant take this.

Applied to a job this morning and got a Dear John email about 30 minutes later. Positive outlook crushed. Applied to another job and got a call from the recruiter almost an hour later. Positive outlook restored but feeling tired.

Being a trophy wife would be easier. Real houseboys of orange county

I'd be down for like being a stay at home dad or something. Well until I started feeling socially alienated because my significant social relationships were all one-way or pedagogical. I think being a trophy wife would be understimulating.

I want to be a housewife so I can write the next great Canadian novel.

Haha get real ;_;

I think I'd degenerate. I think people probably need a good mix between structure and freedom, productivity and generativity and leisure. I don't think I'd be able to moderate that entirely on my own, but maybe other people can.

Sibylus

Banned
I think I'd degenerate. I think people probably need a good mix between structure and freedom, productivity and generativity and leisure. I don't think I'd be able to moderate that entirely on my own, but maybe other people can.
Hah, a house would provide plenty of structure. Always something that needs doing.

Sai-kun

Banned
In my ideal housewife scenario, I take care of everything at home, and my partner makes enough money to fund us going out on weekends to festivals and concerts and stuff. That would be enough of a break between doing chores around the house for me :p

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
In my ideal housewife scenario, I take care of everything at home, and my partner makes enough money to fund us going out on weekends to festivals and concerts and stuff. That would be enough of a break between doing chores around the house for me :p

I hear these wistful desires at home almost every night, lol. My "get real, buttercup" glare has been perfected at this point.

Sai takes a break from housework to enjoy a refreshing beverage before making a martini for when his husband returns home from a hard day at the office.

DPW0oSG.jpg

Caladrius

Yeah, meditation in practice really doesn't need to be religious. Though even in a secular context there can be some problems with terminology, because though the methods themselves may not be very culturally dependent, when they're brought into our culture we don't have a very specific vocabulary for it. I know a lot of current research uses terms like "Focused Attention" to describe what I would probably call "tranquility" meditation, or "Open Monitoring" to describe what might be more commonly described as "mindfulness meditation". But in practice both kinds are just the ability to apply three interrelated mental faculties. You have to be able to keep in mind what you are supposed to be doing, and bring it back in mind when you forget (Recollection/Mindfulness). You also need to be able to observe what your mind is doing in the present moment (Alertness). And finally you need to be able to balance how you apply yourself to the task, so you're never over-exerting or under-exerting yourself (Ardency). Then they just work together, recollection and alertness allow you to evaluate the state of what you're doing non-conceptually, and recollection and ardency allow you to extend the period you can "keep in mind" your given task. If you're going for more awareness of phenomena, you emphasize alertness more because that's the faculty that has recognition. If you want calm, you emphasize recollection more because that's the one that shades into tranquility, but all three are necessarily present regardless of what you're doing. When you look at it that way, there's really nothing culturally dependent about it, these are basic skills we all have already. But still a lot of the instruction you find isn't really secular, probably because it's still a fairly new thing culturally for secular people to adopt the practice.

What you described is basically how 'tranquility' (or concentration, they mean the same thing in this context) tends to unfold. Your mind will feel a bit more secluded than normal. It's often a really enjoyable feeling.

I didn't really experience the alert and mindful aspects much, or at least if I did I wasn't cognizant of it. I should probably reflect on what happened a bit more the next time I do it.

Oh that's sad... is there anything specific that made you think this way?

There's nothing that could even remotely suggest whether or not he actually is, but my intuition is just telling me he isn't.

Of course that's good for fuck-all, so hopefully I'm way off base as usual.

This is my ideal aesthetic.

Same, though probably with about 20-30 more pounds of muscle.

And for some reason typing that sentence gave me a boner.

I didn't really experience the alert and mindful aspects much, or at least if I did I wasn't cognizant of it. I should probably reflect on what happened a bit more the next time I do it.

Well, it's sort of a spectrum. Like without alertness or with too much recollection, with time your mind will grow dull (which is sometimes called "sinking"). If you're too alert or don't have enough recollection, that can become "thinking", and neither of those are really meditation. At this stage it's really just about getting a feel for the mean. To much tranquility will result in dull states, and too much alertness will result in hyper-sensitization and restlessness. Anything clear of those two extremes is good, there is a lot of middle ground and the only way you get a feel for the terrain is just by doing.

There's nothing that could even remotely suggest whether or not he actually is, but my intuition is just telling me he isn't.

Of course that's good for fuck-all, so hopefully I'm way off base as usual.

Same, though probably with about 20-30 more pounds of muscle.

And for some reason typing that sentence gave me a boner.

That model is fine (pun intended) just the way he is.

And aren't you like late teens/early 20's? Doesn't everything give you a boner?

Xaltheron

lol I was just thinking it was strange to see this thread screech to a halt, around this time of the day it's usually going faster than I can keep up with.

Who's been kidnapping all the gays!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom