• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
For the new thread, since everyone is doing it and I just want to be popular: lady, bi, Hawaii, 24, electronic, government lackey, point-and-click adventures and immersive sims, constitutional law and biochemistry and binge-watching every television show I can get my hands on basically.

Good morning everyone.
Which games fall into the category of immersive sims for you?

DOWN

Banned
Happy 4th USAGAF
Beyonce-Sings-National-Anthem-Live.jpg

DNAbro

Got to say I love the thread title. I'll reintroduce myself since i never really drop by here.

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Gay
Where Are You From? Grew up in North Carolina, moved to Florida awhile ago
Where Do You Live? Gainesville, FL most of the year
How Old Are you? 20
Favorite Type of Music? Idk how to describe my taste, a huge mix of various indie stuff, various types of rock, acid jazz, music similar to Nujabes
Profession or Career interest? Student, Computer Science Major
Favorite video game(s)? I'll list top 5, 5.The Last of Us 4. Final Fantasy IX 3.The World Ends With You 2.Persona 4 Golden 1.Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask,
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Spending time with friends, running, programming,

Dany

Banned
im annoyed.

his best friend now lives in town. and all evening it felt like i didn't exist. okay, i know how hyperbolic that sounds but all evening whenever i try to get cozy regarding the night/fireworks/anything ; he or her would just talk to eachother leaving me out :/ like cmon. what is that shit??

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
im annoyed.

his best friend now lives in town. and all evening it felt like i didn't exist. okay, i know how hyperbolic that sounds but all evening whenever i try to get cozy regarding the night/fireworks/anything ; he or her would just talk to eachother leaving me out :/ like cmon. what is that shit??

maybe they hadn't seen each other in a really long and just got caught up in the moment?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
what Ratsky said.

If it became an all-the-time occurrence then perhaps you two could have something to discuss, but one night? Cut the kid some slack: he's having a good time with his friend, and couples definitely don't need to be joined at the hip 24/7.

Symphonia

Banned
For real, though. Like, seriously, we were talking this morning on Skype, as we do every morning, when out of nowhere she shows me a photo of a guy she has saved on her phone. It's not rude or explicit in any shape or form. In fact, it's quite a stupid photo. Regardless, I know the guy and I don't like him. She knows this. So I say 'OK...' and disconnect. Half-hour or so passes and I just get out the shower. I check my phone.

I have six missed calls and seventeen texts asking me what's wrong with me, why I went in a mood, etc. She calls again, I answer, and she starts yelling immediately. She's saying I acted irrationally, though she's fully aware of both my insecurities and my dislike of this guy. She then says she needs to think, and hangs up. Like, the fuck? Am I not allowed to feel insecure or, I don't know, feel down due to my goddamn fucking depression?

Fuck that.

DOWN

Banned
For real, though. Like, seriously, we were talking this morning on Skype, as we do every morning, when out of nowhere she shows me a photo of a guy she has saved on her phone. It's not rude or explicit in any shape or form. In fact, it's quite a stupid photo. Regardless, I know the guy and I don't like him. She knows this. So I say 'OK...' and disconnect. Half-hour or so passes and I just get out the shower. I check my phone.

I have six missed calls and seventeen texts asking me what's wrong with me, why I went in a mood, etc. She calls again, I answer, and she starts yelling immediately. She's saying I acted irrationally, though she's fully aware of both my insecurities and my dislike of this guy. She then says she needs to think, and hangs up. Like, the fuck? Am I not allowed to feel insecure or, I don't know, feel down due to my goddamn fucking depression?

Fuck that.
If you hang up on someone you are committed to over a really mild photo and then don't answer for a while, it can be pretty upsetting. I don't know how many times she's bugged you with that guy's photo or something, but if it hasn't truly happened that much in the big picture, then I can see why she would be upset with your reaction.

She has no way to get in contact with you if you cut her off like that, which means doing so abruptly and unpleasantly is going to be nerve-racking. It also means that you realistically aren't the only one who gets to be upset if you won't communicate what you actually were thinking when she thought she wasn't crossing a line as far as I can tell from the explanation.

Hope you talk it out and feel better.

Symphonia

Banned
If you hang up on someone you are committed to over a really mild photo and then don't answer for a while, it can be pretty upsetting. I don't know how many times she's bugged you with that guy's photo or something, but if it hasn't truly happened that much in the big picture, then I can see why she would be upset with your reaction.

She has no way to get in contact with you if you cut her off like that, which means doing so abruptly and unpleasantly is going to be nerve-racking. It also means that you realistically aren't the only one who gets to be upset if you won't communicate what you actually were thinking when she thought she wasn't crossing a line as far as I can tell from the explanation.

Hope you talk it out and feel better.
It's just...we've talked about each others strengths and weaknesses, and one we have in common is anxiety, and the paranoia and insecurities that come with it. Now, this guy she has a photo of, let's call him a mutual contact. Him and I have never seen eye to eye. He has made it perfectly clear he dislikes me, and I've made it clear the feeling is mutual. He has often chatted shit about me to my girl. This, in itself, does not bother me.

What does bother me is that my girl and this guy have history. They didn"t date or anything, but did get close at one point. So I have this fear that he will do whatever it takes to split us up and worm his way in, wanting to finally win her round. I've pointed this out to my girl, who just laughed it off. I also explained to her that I feel inadequate compared to every other guy ever. So her showing me she had this photo of that guy, it felt like a punch to the gut. That I'm not enough, that I'm losing her.

I don't know. Urgh.

Vitanimus

Fuck that.

you're allowed to feel down and have moments where it seems too much but it does seem irrational that you hang up on a good friend over a photo which doesn't seem to have come from a place of maliciousness. maybe just say next time you don't really wanna discuss him in the future.

Dany

Banned
what Ratsky said.

If it became an all-the-time occurrence then perhaps you two could have something to discuss, but one night? Cut the kid some slack: he's having a good time with his friend, and couples definitely don't need to be joined at the hip 24/7.

It was kinda happening all day, we were in a big group and by dusk I was just irritant about it. I know we're not cajoined but I would of appreciated something more :/

maybe they hadn't seen each other in a really long and just got caught up in the moment?

Sure, they are great friends. In retrospect I was more jealous than I should of been.

Symphonia

Banned
you're allowed to feel down and have moments where it seems too much but it does seem irrational that you hang up on a good friend over a photo which doesn't seem to have come from a place of maliciousness. maybe just say next time you don't really wanna discuss him in the future.
She's more than a good friend. That long-distance relationship I was on about, well, this is her. It's just a really complicated relationship owing to the overall distance, but we're working on it. I guess my main concern regarding that guy is the fact he lives a hell of a lot closer to her than I do, which only increases the fear that he'll try and make a move on her when I'm not around. I trust her, it's him I don't trust.

Anyway, we talked things through. She understands why I reacted how I did, and I apologised for acting the way I did. It's all been sorted and all is well and good. She's gone to sleep now (in tears, for no reason, other than it being 'that time' of the month) and I'm at my friends for dinner, watching the F1, and having a cheeky drink or two. Which reminds me - I've cut back on my drinking drastically. I'm nowhere near clean but I'm getting there.

All is good.

Kater

Banned
When I was really bored at work one day I came up with a list and a definition for this "genre," but basically: real-time first-person games with a strong focus on immersion and realism in creating convincing, interactive game worlds. The classic examples are games like Deus Ex, System Shock, and Thief - all stemming from the creative roots of Ultima Underworld, which seems like a logical starting point for it all. I actually feel like the explosion of indie survivalist games (like the excellent Miasmata) has helped make this style of game more popular and visible than ever, even if most of those fall pretty short in their unfinished alpha states.

So the three mentioned above plus their sequels, and I think all of the TES and (first-person) Fallout games definitely count. STALKER, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, Pathologic. Bioshock too, although Infinite is kind of pushing it since the shooter elements are dialed up SO much, choices are dialed way down, and the world is so hollow in spite of being detailed and ostensibly interactive. (Sorry, rant over.) The list over here at Giant Bomb is pretty good.
So "Immersive sim" just stands for games where you have interaction with a game world which strives to be as believable as possible and has a First Person View?
That's quite a lot of games nowadays.

Good to know, I have never heard that term before you used it here.

terrisus

Hey all. Just wanted to let you know I dumped a bunch of my posts from here into the Mental Health thread. It's not that I didn't get good feedback and advice here - on the contrary, I got great stuff here, far more than I would expect elsewhere. I just know I can't keep filling up this thread with all of that nonsense when so much of it really doesn't have too much to do with the subject of this thread, and taking time away from other people here and everything. I'm sorry...

Hey all. Just wanted to let you know I dumped a bunch of my posts from here into the Mental Health thread. It's not that I didn't get good feedback and advice here - on the contrary, I got great stuff here, far more than I would expect elsewhere. I just know I can't keep filling up this thread with all of that nonsense when so much of it really doesn't have too much to do with the subject of this thread, and taking time away from other people here and everything. I'm sorry...

No need to apologize. :)

Also, my first post in the new thread, *wave*

Since having my phone stolen over a week ago I am slowly adjusting to not having the internet at my fingertips every second of the day. I am actually starting to enjoy not being tied to my phone constantly, just spent a lovely weekend down at our caravan at the seaside with no access to the internet at all.

That being said, 2 days with no Gaf or facebook and I missed the new thread going up, a lot to catch up on.

So I guess I'll do this again...

Your gender? Cis female
Your sexual orientation? Bi
Where Are You From? Wales
Where Do You Live? London
How Old Are you? 33
Favorite Type of Music? Metal, rock, punk, ska, showtunes, disney soundtracks, classical
Profession or Career interest? System accountant in property management
Favorite video game(s)? Red Dead Redemption, GTA
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Singing in a metal band, comics, getting tattooed and pierced

It took me years to get to the point where I could look at myself in the mirror and not feel like the ugliest person alive. But now when I try and take pictures of myself for a dating profile I get that same problem again. My face is so fucked. No symmetry at all. I swear half of my face is larger than the other. My eyes are poorly spaced. I fuckin hate my face in photos.

Symphonia

Banned
Terri, you know where I am if you ever need me. My inbox has always been there for you to vent in, and it always will be. It pains me to see a friend going through such mental torment. That said, the guys in the 'Mental Health OT' are a bunch of really good guys, and the community in there have always got each others back. If you don't find answers in here, you most definitely will in there. But, like I said, if you need a more personal approach, then you know where to find me.

Musha, where abouts did you go? I'm off on holiday on the 13th to Cornwall for a week. Never been there before so I'm really looking forward to it. It's only a caravan holiday on a quiet holiday park but, as I get older, I find that suits me better than going out and getting wasted every night. I just struggle to keep up. Still, going by myself for a short break away from all the hussle and bustle of Birmingham?

Bliss.

terrisus

Terri, you know where I am if you ever need me. My inbox has always been there for you to vent in, and it always will be. It pains me to see a friend going through such mental torment. That said, the guys in the 'Mental Health OT' are a bunch of really good guys, and the community in there have always got each others back. If you don't find answers in here, you most definitely will in there. But, like I said, if you need a more personal approach, then you know where to find me.

I feel bad dumping too much on you, since I know you have your own stuff that you're working through, and I'm glad things seem to be looking up from what I can tell. I don't like being a burden on others. Especially since I know most of the "best-practice advise" or "try this first advice" is stuff that for various reasons I can't - or feel like I can't - do, and then I just feel like I wasted their time as well.

Symphonia

Banned
I feel bad dumping too much on you, since I know you have your own stuff that you're working through, and I'm glad things seem to be looking up from what I can tell. I don't like being a burden on others. Especially since I know most of the "best-practice advise" or "try this first advice" is stuff that for various reasons I can't - or feel like I can't - do, and then I just feel like I wasted their time as well.
I do have my own stuff going on, yeah, but what sort of friend would I be if I wasn't there for you as you battle your own demons? Don't feel like you'd be a burden, pal, that's far from the case.

terrisus

I do have my own stuff going on, yeah, but what sort of friend would I be if I wasn't there for you as you battle your own demons? Don't feel like you'd be a burden, pal, that's far from the case.

I appreciate it. You're a good friend =)

I'll probably dump more on you later when I can.

I wish you could just pack me up in a box and have me shipped to England.

Sai-kun

Banned
80° degrees, sunny, roof top dance party in a few hours, girlfriend wearing a cute skirt that I like.

Good day so far! Morning, y'all!

I don't fucking get it. I know people find their mirror image more attractive than a non-mirrored picture, but I wasn't aware how extreme the effect was. When I look in a mirror or take a mirror selfie I'm fine with how I look for the most part. When I take a non-mirrored image suddenly my whole face looks super assymetric, like one half of my whole fucking face is like a slightly droopy melted candle. Why doesn't it look that assymetric in a mirror? Maybe the iphone front camera is slightly off center?

I don't fucking get it. I know people find their mirror image more attractive than a non-mirrored picture, but I wasn't aware how extreme the effect was. When I look in a mirror or take a mirror selfie I'm fine with how I look for the most part. When I take a non-mirrored image suddenly my whole face looks super assymetric, like one half of my whole fucking face is like a slightly droopy melted candle. Why doesn't it look that assymetric in a mirror? Maybe the iphone front camera is slightly off center?

Maybe because when its a non-mirrored picture you're not able to pose in a way that is balanced. You may pose different in a mirror because you can see yourself. Or maybe you are made of wax.

Maybe because when its a non-mirrored picture you're not able to pose in a way that is balanced. You may pose different in a mirror because you can see yourself. Or maybe you are made of wax.

I'm using the front camera so I can see myself before snapping the shot. The thing is that the screen shows the mirrored image, but the shot it takes is non-mirrored. What I see in both the mirror and the mirrored image on the phone screen is decidedly not as asymmetric as what I see in the non-mirrored picture. Regardless, I'm not getting anything I'm comfortable of putting on a dating profile. And they usually recommend you have several pictures, right?

Have someone else take your picture? And when taking your picture have your head slightly turned to the camera with your chin turned upward. Its what the professionals do.

Musha, where abouts did you go? I'm off on holiday on the 13th to Cornwall for a week. Never been there before so I'm really looking forward to it. It's only a caravan holiday on a quiet holiday park but, as I get older, I find that suits me better than going out and getting wasted every night. I just struggle to keep up. Still, going by myself for a short break away from all the hussle and bustle of Birmingham?

Bliss.

We have a caravan down in Dymchurch on the South coast, just up from Hastings, it's quiet but lovely.

Cornwall is amazing though, I've been there many times. Which bit are you going to?

Symphonia

Banned
Cornwall is amazing though, I've been there many times. Which bit are you going to?
It's a small caravan park in Penzance. It looks nice enough, and the bigger places such as St Ives and Falmouth look like they're within a reasonable distance. Plus, as a closet-fan of hit ITV drama 'Doc Martin', I can get to Port Issac easily.

Sure, they are great friends. In retrospect I was more jealous than I should of been.

It's understandable to feel jealous, but I wouldn't let it get to you where you're feeling upset or bitter about it. If it becomes an ongoing thing, then I would discuss it with him. He probably doesn't even realize he's doing it.

I have an extremely religious "friend" who I've known for about 7/8 years, she has always been really nice to me, I met her back when I had a boyfriend and I was actually kind of surprised how "open" she seemed to be to the idea of having an openly gay friend. I think once she told me something like "I should not be the one judging". She made a blog post about gay marriage which really upset me.

While she mainly attacked the "Love wins" tag, saying that this doesn't mean people will start being more loving and caring towards each other, she also says "I would like to know how many gay marriages end up happy without divorcing." I replied saying that then no one should be able to marry and having children should be forbidden because they may end up being delinquents and murderers.

It's not like we're really close friends but it's upsetting seeing someone so clearly advocate with no reason against something that is basically a right.

Shinobix

I'm more of a lurker although I've been present since the old days of OT1. I tend to post when I'm in the middle of some sort of crisis but I'll try to be more present from now on.

New survey for the heck of the new thread.

Your gender? Male

Your sexual orientation? Gay

Where Are You From? Mexico

Where Do You Live? Monterrey, MX

How Old Are You? 26

Favorite Type of Music? Indie/indie rock, pop, experimental, triphop, R&B. Currently obsessed with FKA Twigs, The Weeknd, Sam Smith. Hardcore Amy Winehouse fan.

Profession or Career interest? I'm a doctor and I'm currently doing my Pediatrics residency. Interested in doing a subsecialty once I finish, possibly Pediatric dermatology or Pediatric infectology.

Favorite video game(s)? Nintendo fan. Sadly I have kind of left videogames behind, although I still get together with my friends quite frequently to play Smash Bros. Last console I bought was WiiU. Might get a PS4 later on.

What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Listening to music, going to the movies, going to concerts, reading, doing reasearch on my field.

_Isaac

I have an extremely religious "friend" who I've known for about 7/8 years, she has always been really nice to me, I met her back when I had a boyfriend and I was actually kind of surprised how "open" she seemed to be to the idea of having an openly gay friend. I think once she told me something like "I should not be the one judging". She made a blog post about gay marriage which really upset me.

While she mainly attacked the "Love wins" tag, saying that this doesn't mean people will start being more loving and caring towards each other, she also says "I would like to know how many gay marriages end up happy without divorcing." I replied saying that then no one should be able to marry and having children should be forbidden because they may end up being delinquents and murderers.

It's not like we're really close friends but it's upsetting seeing someone so clearly advocate with no reason against something that is basically a right.

Basically all my coworkers and acquaintances are religious, but they're all kinda like your friend where they're respectful about the whole topic. I know they have their beliefs and think being gay is a sin, but they never really express those feelings around me anymore. They didn't know I was gay until recently, so I did get to hear some interesting things before, but I always found that more amusing than anything else. I'm not sure why. I find it more funny than upsetting. Maybe it's because I have a more positive outlook on the whole situation. Like I know in my gut that they'll be on the wrong side of history, at least in this country. I wonder if I'd be more negatively affected if I lived in a different country or grew up in an earlier era.

Some of this was funny - especially the "lotion" part. I lolled! I have felt anything and everything under the sun with regard to being gay and a person of color, so I understood a lot of the interviewees' feelings. But overall I don't know if this short documentary really works because it didn't feel like many of the people had come to terms with their own identity within in, or there was any sort of resolution.

Also I don't visit for a few days and there is a new OT and all kinds of stuff. O_O So, hello everyone!

I'm using the front camera so I can see myself before snapping the shot. The thing is that the screen shows the mirrored image, but the shot it takes is non-mirrored. What I see in both the mirror and the mirrored image on the phone screen is decidedly not as asymmetric as what I see in the non-mirrored picture. Regardless, I'm not getting anything I'm comfortable of putting on a dating profile. And they usually recommend you have several pictures, right?

Same here. But on others I find their mirror selves asymetric and weird. So just use non-mirrored pics, because people will be/become more used to that.

Same here. But on others I find their mirror selves asymetric and weird. So just use non-mirrored pics, because people will be/become more used to that.

Yeah, people will see me non-mirrored so I know that despite mirror selfies looking 100x better to me, I really ought to use non-mirrored. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom