• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
I thought that he was talking about cock and ball torture too

She, and nah
axe_laugh.gif
. I've never done it. I'm not sure any trans woman I've dated would be into it and I'm not sure I want to ask tbh!

Bladenic

I wish I could truly stop being on these apps. And frankly wish I could actually stop talking to guys. Because I always get burnt. I must be really masochistic. Sigh. My life 🚮

BUT in different topics, Renee Zellweger looks like her old self in the Bridget jones promos. Was her "new" look after it was filmed or before? What is this sorcery?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I wish I could truly stop being on these apps. And frankly wish I could actually stop talking to guys. Because I always get burnt. I must be really masochistic. Sigh. My life 🚮

BUT in different topics, Renee Zellweger looks like her old self in the Bridget jones promos. Was her "new" look after it was filmed or before? What is this sorcery?

Some stuff might have been fillers and lifts that may have gone down over time?

Crayons

Banned
She, and nah
axe_laugh.gif
. I've never done it. I'm not sure any trans woman I've dated would be into it and I'm not sure I want to ask tbh!
sorry babe
I think a large part of the problem is that this is one of those internal experience things (i dunno a good word for it).

Like you'll see comments online sometimes where there's a wealthy (but sort of unattractive) dude with a very attractive woman. And people will outright refuse to accept the possibility that the woman isn't a gold-digger. Because their own internal experience is such that looks are everything, except if wealth is involved. Therefore this woman must be exactly like they are, and thus cannot be legitimately in love with this man.

Probably not the best example, but that's what I'm getting at.
Well, you're right. I can't stop my impulses, so I assumed others couldn't either and just ignored them.

but I really don't like feeling that I'm being shamed for casual sex in this thread and that I'm less spiritually enlightened for doing so. Come on

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Came out to a coworker. He accused me (jokingly) of flirting with a female intern. I was just like... ummm yeah... wrong gender. And that was that. :p
And anyways, she was flirting with me.

perks_of_being_a_wallflower_how_is_it_that_youve_become_meaner_since_becoming_a_buddhist.gif

Okay, fine. Meditation is the temporary suspension of impulses - and if you stop those impulses in your mind, then they don't exist. But *I* can't stop my impulses. Maybe it works for you in which case, fantastic. But it doesn't for me. I've tried meditation. I'll tell you what happens in my head.

"hmm...I wonder what John C. Lilys experiences in his sensory deprivation chambers was like"
"Oh man, I got homework due soon"
"I'm bored. And I feel like I'm wasting time."
"I wonder if I'm gonna bang that guy"
"I miss my friends"
"My heart rate is too fast"
"I wonder if I can invent a cool new psychedelic someday"

I end up with far more anxiety than when I started. Thanks, but no thanks.

This has never been an argument about what I think you should do, this all started as me making a claim about how I think 'freedom from stress' (ataraxia) is a more sustainable or well-regulated form of pleasure than what we normally think of as pleasure. That's not even a Buddhist concept, it's Greek.

Also, you're naive if you think most peoples' experiences with meditation don't begin that way. It's a skill, but again this has never been an argument about what I think you should do, so I'm not going to urge you to figure out how to make it work, even if I fully expect that you could. This has never been my concern, at any part of this thing.

That's it. I was admittedly an asshole, and I will apologize for that, but it was after you interpreted me as coming for your way of life when I wasn't even remotely concerned with it, and after you thought you could participate in an argument without actually participating in it. If that is how you're approaching a discussion, you're going to be treated like a nuisance, because that's what you are.

I think a large part of the problem is that this is one of those internal experience things (i dunno a good word for it).

Like you'll see comments online sometimes where there's a wealthy (but sort of unattractive) dude with a very attractive woman. And people will outright refuse to accept the possibility that the woman isn't a gold-digger. Because their own internal experience is such that looks are everything, except if wealth is involved. Therefore this woman must be exactly like they are, and thus cannot be legitimately in love with this man.

Probably not the best example, but that's what I'm getting at.

I think you're right, thanks (and phenomenological is a good word for it, I think).

Meditation is just a desire to escape, ha ha a DESIRE. It's no different than numbing yourself in front of a television or doing drugs. You can't escape your existence, though. You're alive whether you want it or not.

Pain is part of existence. Attempting to escape it through meditation is just that, an attempt. You're not getting rid of anything, though, no more so than the person sitting in front of a TV.

Suspension is not cessation. Cessation is cessation.

I think my problem with Buddhism is that it sees pain as a problem to conquered, but pain is life. You can't conquer life.

Crayons

Banned
This has never been an argument about what I think you should do, this all started as me making a claim about how I think 'freedom from stress' (ataraxia) is a more sustainable or well-regulated form of pleasure than what we normally think of as pleasure. That's not even a Buddhist concept, it's Greek.

Also, you're naive if you think most peoples' experiences with meditation don't begin that way. It's a skill, but again this has never been an argument about what I think you should do, so I'm not going to urge you to figure out how to make it work, even if I fully expect that you could. This has never been my concern, at any part of this thing.

That's it. I was admittedly an asshole, and I will apologize for that, but it was after you interpreted me as coming for your way of life when I wasn't even remotely concerned with it, and after you thought you could participate in an argument without actually participating in it. If that is how you're approaching a discussion, you're going to be treated like a nuisance, because that's what you are.

I think you're right, thanks (and phenomenological is a good word for it, I think).
I made two short posts, the first of which was to remind you that not everyone has the same lense as you do - "we are not our impulses" is a really spiritually charged statement that not everyone agrees with. I didn't actually want to seriously participate in the argument and you probably should have just ignored me like you usually do

I think my problem with Buddhism is that it sees pain as a problem to conquered, but pain is life. You can't conquer life.
Not that I know much of anything, but I'd think it's the exact opposite. It's recognizing that you can't conquer it. You just have to experience some things as they are in the moment (such as thoughts and emotions) without trying to change them or fighting back against them. (And also without enveloping yourself in them by letting them come and drift on by.)

Either way, meditation certainly may have some medical benefits (divorced from any religion or philosophy).

Meditation is just a desire to escape, ha ha a DESIRE. It's no different than numbing yourself in front of a television or doing drugs. You can't escape your existence, though. You're alive whether you want it or not.

Pain is part of existence. Attempting to escape it through meditation is just that, an attempt. You're not getting rid of anything, though, no more so than the person sitting in front of a TV.

Suspension is not cessation. Cessation is cessation.

You're not getting rid of pain, you're getting rid of the unnecessary psychological reaction to pain, the one where you hurt yourself doubly or more through your reaction to its presence ("suffering").

Not that I know much of anything, but I'd think it's the exact opposite. It's recognizing that you can't conquer it. You just have to experience some things as they are in the moment (such as thoughts and emotions) without trying to change them or fighting back against them. (And also without enveloping yourself in them by letting them come and drift on by.)

Either way, meditation certainly may have some medical benefits (divorced from any religion or philosophy).

You're exactly right.

I made two short posts, the first of which was to remind you that not everyone has the same lense as you do - "we are not our impulses" is a really spiritually charged statement that not everyone agrees with. I didn't actually want to seriously participate in the argument and you probably should have just ignored me like you usually do

Three of the most major existentialists that I can think of off the top of my head (Nietzsche, Sartre, and de Beauvoir) were atheists, and they were all about the freedom/autonomy that I'm talking about. This isn't a religious/spiritual concept, or certainly not exclusively: you're self-aware, and that is a kind of freedom. That's basically the jist of it.

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, meditation has never been about escapism to me. It's a place I go to solve problems of mood and mind constructively, rather than running from them.

Yeah, meditation has never been about escapism to me. It's a place I go to solve problems of mood and mind constructively, rather than running from them.

The idea that it would work very well as escapism seems pretty absurd to me. Like oh you think you're struggling with your problems now? Well just wait until you're sitting quietly with your eyes closed, with practically nothing to pay attention to but your thoughts...

Drunk thought of the night: I've sent lewd pictures of myself to special people in the past and I really wonder if they're out on the internet somewhere.

JCX

I'm throwing a party once I can uninstall these apps, like just for a bf.

I aways interpreted meditation as accepting you have impulses, desires and observing them from afar.

So I imagine all my thoughts and desires as bubbles and me in the middle of em. The bubbles keep swirling around me and I just visualise them all being present as a reality. This actually helps calm my mind.

I've now actually moved to this 6 phase meditation method where I do a minute of what I mentioned above followed by focussing on the feeling of compassion for a minute, then gratitude for what I have, then forgiving someone, then visualising the future, then imagining what tomorrow itself will bring and finally I return to all the thoughts and desires and observe them all around me.

LOL it feels nice, it's not the traditional meditation though 😂

In truth I feel there are many different forms of meditation and practicing it varies from individual to individual. I don't know which form all the 'medical benefits' arise from though.

Then there's the whole mindfullness aspect. Like the poster that mentioned hiking, being so focussed on a task in the relative calmness of nature can be relaxing as it incorporated a bit if mindfullness into it.

Sibylus

Banned
Meditation for sleep is another practical use I've found for it. I file away all the things I'm thinking about onto library bookshelves: the things I've done today, the things I will do, and my hopes and fears. Allows my mind to process everything and be ready for rest sooner than it might have been otherwise.

Meditation for sleep is another practical use I've found for it. I file away all the things I'm thinking about onto library bookshelves: the things I've done today, the things I will do, and my hopes and fears. Allows my mind to process everything and be ready for rest sooner than it might have been otherwise.
Might try this! Need to seriously sort out my sleep issues!!

Or soon my eye bags are gonna get their own eye bags LOL

Just in case. My inbox is open.
I wonder how often this actually works lol

I don't think any of them show my face. I probably wouldn't even be mad or embarrassed if I came across them; in all honesty I'd probably just laugh. I mean what else can you do at that point?

Nero397

Today I pulled carts from my store's parking lot in the heat and ended up sweating so much that I took a shower and changed my clothes when I got home. And then there was yesterday when I did it in the rain. I need to get the fuck out of retail.

Vazra

Today I pulled carts from my store's parking lot in the heat and ended up sweating so much that I took a shower and changed my clothes when I got home. And then there was yesterday when I did it in the rain. I need to get the fuck out of retail.

I worked retail for a few months and yeah some of the shit you got to do is absurd at times. I had a car accident and I wasnt supposed to do any heavy lifting and still the same day I returned they made me move some heavy stuff to lay away and lift and move other shit and drag it to different areas of the store when my position was cashier at the time. Also making you go pick the carts in rain is really damn inconsiderate but to them you are not valued as a person but just disposable people. -_-

Nero397

I worked retail for a few months and yeah some of the shit you got to do is absurd at times. I had a car accident and I wasnt supposed to do any heavy lifting and still the same day I returned they made me move some heavy stuff to lay away and lift and move other shit and drag it to different areas of the store when my position was cashier at the time. Also making you go pick the carts in rain is really damn inconsiderate but to them you are not valued as a person but just disposable people. -_-

I wasn't forced to do it in the rain. I just had to do it sometime before the end of my shift, but I had waited so long and it didn't stop fucking raining after like 2 hours so I said fuck it I'm gonna get those carts. My supervisor found what she thought was a rain jacket. It wasn't a rain jacket.

Vazra

I wasn't forced to do it in the rain. I just had to do it sometime before the end of my shift, but I had waited so long and it didn't stop fucking raining after like 2 hours so I said fuck it I'm gonna get those carts. My supervisor found what she thought was a rain jacket. It wasn't a rain jacket.

Oh my and were you on the closing shift perhaps or could someone else on another shift cover it?

JCX

I pushed carts for years during high school and part of college. Job sucked, but I got great calves for a short time and was in semi-decent shape. I always try to leave me cart in the store or a corral now so I'm not a dick to the current cart pushers.

Why do I bother talking to guys? I've scared three away so far. All I can do is just blow strangers because that's all I have left. Anytime a guy says he wants more, I'm gonna just ignore him. It's pointless to even try for anything that isn't a drive-thru blowjob. Thank God men aren't overly picky about that.

Fladam

Why do I bother talking to guys? I've scared three away so far. All I can do is just blow strangers because that's all I have left. Anytime a guy says he wants more, I'm gonna just ignore him. It's pointless to even try for anything that isn't a drive-thru blowjob. Thank God men aren't overly picky about that.

Sorry :( I straight up asked this guy I went out with on a second date if he was gonna ghost on me. I'm getting pretty damn sick of that shit.

Aww don't say that. I find myself wondering the same thing because guys eventually stop talking to me but you just have to keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom