• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

ekim

I played the first episode when it came out and now want to continue. Is there some kind of "previously on..." when I start the second episode?
I want to make sure I don't miss out on stuff I did in Ep1. How long are the remaining 4 episodes?

HelloMeow

I played the first episode when it came out and now want to continue. Is there some kind of "previously on..." when I start the second episode?
I want to make sure I don't miss out on stuff I did in Ep1. How long are the remaining 4 episodes?

Yes, there is. If you take your time the episodes range from 3 - 4 hours per episode.

jWILL253

Banned
I played the first episode on PS4. Haven't downloaded the rest of the season yet.

So far, I like it. The dialog sounds like it was crowdsourced by Urban Dictionary editors, the pacing is uber-slow, and the game looks like absolute poop... but I like where the plot is headed and I'm emotionally invested.

Just finished the second episode and I'm really liking this. It's like Veronica Mars x Bully x time manipulation, all things I enjoy immensely. The references and music are all very indie, but it works for me because I recognize all of them and enjoy the atmosphere.

CJCW

Just finished episode 5 yesterday, playing all of them in about a week. So glad I listened to the hype on this. Easily one of my GOTY picks, at least top 5, maybe even #2. Thanks for talking it up GAF.

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished episode 5 yesterday, playing all of them in about a week. So glad I listened to the hype on this. Easily one of my GOTY picks, at least top 5, maybe even #2. Thanks for talking it up GAF.

You're welcome. Now go check out Tales from the Borderlands.

Just finished playing episode 1 and honestly I thought it was pretty good. I now see why it was getting so much praise. I'm probably still going to wait until the physical version comes out to play the rest of the season though.

Spinifex

Just finished playing episode 1 and honestly I thought it was pretty good. I now see why it was getting so much praise. I'm probably still going to wait until the physical version comes out to play the rest of the season though.

Episodes 2, 3 and especially 4 are where the game is at its best.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Playing through ep 1 right now.

I don't trust that handsome, worldly, charming art teacher who takes interests in his students and wants to take a trip to an arts event in San Fran with someone from his class...

I do like Max's internal dialog. Does a good job of creating that sense of teen life where everything is life-and-death serious.

masud

Banned
Just finished the game last night, probably the best adventure game I've ever played outside of grim fandango and it just may have made a gamer out of my wife (she hasn't gotten to chapter 5 yet so we'll see how that goes...). Really sad ending(s), it's gonna stick with me for a while.

Chapter 5 spoilers
One question though, why was Max "caught between dimensions" while she was on the plane? Every other time she came back from picture travel she returned to the present with everything looking normal?

HelloMeow

Chapter 5 spoilers
One question though, why was Max "caught between dimensions" while she was on the plane? Every other time she came back from picture travel she returned to the present with everything looking normal?

Because she went into a photo while she already was inside of another photo. First the one where she was conscious enough to ask Jefferson for her diary and then into the photo she took at the start of the episode 1

Great game though I wish some of your choices had a greater impact on the end of the game. Played the whole thing over 2 nights.

The dream sequences weren't the greatest either.

KraytarJ

Episodes 2, 3 and especially 4 are where the game is at its best.
Most definitely. I'd say while episode 1 isn't bad it's certainly something I grew to appreciate much more after finishing the game and reflecting on what happened, especially
the scene where Chloe is confronted by David about the weed

Sora_N

Yo I just finished episode 1, I feel some of how this game operates is bad like TWD lol.

It took me a while to figure out the toolkit thing, so I had to rewind a lot since I kept pressing stuff.

I decided to
take the blame for Chloe, that's because I couldn't figure out how to hide - it was kind of awkward, where was I supposed to hide?
Lol, I think I'm just a bit out of it since it's so cold today.

I took the blame since we used to be friends and I felt like I should earn her trust again for ditching her for a few years.

Bsigg12

Just finished this tonight. Episode 4 was definitely my favorite and I thought the ending did a great job given it was pretty predictable. It definitely garnered some welling of the eyes for me though.

A fantastic game all around.

16BitNova

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Just finished Chapter 2. I fucked up...
One choice, I know it was just one choice that I messed up on that could have saved Kate... I remember looking at her bible too. One proverb scratched out, and one not... I couldn't remember which.. I knew as soon as Max started saying the verse I got the wrong one.. Everything was going so well before that..damnit.. I was mashing the rewind still knowing I couldn't. Tried pressing reload to last checkpoint but it was too late..
...guess I will have to wait for another playthrough.. thank god the LE is coming out soon. I'll give it another go then.
Fuck, now because of that I had to
Choose on ratting on Nathan, for which I have no proof he dosed her. Telling on Mr. Jefferson, for which I don't think he did much wrong. Or Mr. Madsen, whom as fucked up as I first thought he was, having that conversation with him in the hall about how he just wants whats best for us and cares about the students came off as sincere so it turned me around on his character. The only one I was sure is an asshole is Nathan so I chose to rat on him...He's rich with a lawyer and I have no proof. I know I'm fucked...without spoiling, how bad am I fucked GAF? A lot or a little?..

koma

I'm playing Episode 1: is there a way to remove all the hints that the game is always giving you? Or is it something that happens only in this first episode? The game is nice but it's way too easy and the constant telling you what to do completely kills the fun for me, there is no satisfaction to resolve a puzzle when they keep giving you the solution :(

Sora_N

I'm playing Episode 1: is there a way to remove all the hints that the game is always giving you? Or is it something that happens only in this first episode? The game is nice but it's way too easy and the constant telling you what to do completely kills the fun for me, there is no satisfaction to resolve a puzzle when they keep giving you the solution :(

Hmm I wish they gave me a better hint at one part in episode 1 tbh.

Unrelated question. Do choices and stuff affect trophies? I don't wanna check the trophy list for these kinds of games.

What do you mean about hints? Are you talking about the stuff Max says after you make a choice?

If so, she's always going to doubt herself no matter what choice she makes. Its the games way of telling you you can rewind, so they aren't really hints.

16BitNova

I only just finished Episode 2 and I'm loving it so much I really hope we get Life is Strange 2. My ending to this Episode has left me with feels that I started thinking... Can you imagine once we get experiences like this but in VR? My heart and soul tingle at the thought. That immersion, those feels, oh my.

Yrael

Just finished Episode 5...wow. It's rare for the storyline of a game to have such an emotional impact on me.

I chose to save Arcadia Bay because it simply felt like the "right" thing to do, like most people it seems from the percentages at the end. I'll be playing through again to see what happens if I choose Chloe instead.

I also loved the charming soundtrack, particularly Jose Gonzalez's track.

Sora_N

Wow, this is kind of stupid. I bought the game + season pass when it was $10 for PS4 but I didn't know it didn't auto download 2-5 so I can't play now...cuz the servers seem to be shit right now. Kind of lame, I'll have to play tonight.

This game turned out to be one of my favorites in 2015. It's been a while since I felt an emotional connection to a character like the ones in Life is Strange (especially Chloe).

KraytarJ

Wow, this is kind of stupid. I bought the game + season pass when it was $10 for PS4 but I didn't know it didn't auto download 2-5 so I can't play now...cuz the servers seem to be shit right now. Kind of lame, I'll have to play tonight.
That shit's annoying. The same thing happened when I went to play episode 2 during my play through. I just wish you could download the season pass as a whole instead of each episode. Would be easier and eliminate accidental spoilers.

Lokimaru

I think one of the strengths of this game is that it takes it's time. It lets you live with these characters so you care when shit hits the fan.

Finally finished it. Bought the season pass when it released, but decided to wait to play. Bummed I waited, because this is my favorite game this year now. Emotionally hit me where I didn't expect it.

Will buy the limited physical release just because.

ekim

Finished episode 3. Just wow. Late GOTY so far. I love the coming of age style. I hope we get more games with this "feeling". Thank you dontnod for this experience. Will double dip on the physical special edition.

Just finished the game tonight after playing all the episodes over the last couple days. It's absolutely phenomenal and easily one of the best games I've played this year.

I'd always heard good things previously but I was surprised how well, and quickly, the game got me invested in the story and characters. The setting and the tone of the game was a huge contributor to that as well, even to the point where I was getting lost in just reading Max's journal. It might be the fastest a game has grabbed me in that respect.

Nice to see more folks discovering/enjoying Life is Strange.

I'm not sure how it's doing overall currently, but I suspect Life is Strange will be getting a fair amount of awards for this year, and thus more players in the future.
I think one of the strengths of this game is that it takes it's time. It lets you live with these characters so you care when shit hits the fan.

Definitely.

One of the coolest mechanics DONTNOD implemented is those moments where you can just relax... it's a really inspired addition. The only other adventure game (that I know of) using a similar kind of thing is one of the Blackwell games (2nd one, Blackwell Unbound, IIRC), where you could smoke on demand. It wasn't a big part of the game and there was no music or dialog accompanying it, but it was a really cool touch that added a lot of ambiance.

I'm really curious to see how DONTNOD tweaks that particular aspect of the game for the sequel.

A good game but I don't think it was as emotional as season 1 of TWD. Episode 5 seemed to drag and felt like it was padded out with
the puzzle section

malfcn

I watched 15 minutes on Twitch and it looked interesting.. Not sure if it's my kind of thing. I never finished TWD 1/2, or Wolf.

dreamfall

So, just finished it and it was something incredible.

Regarding the ending choices,
I guess I'm selfish. Part of me was just like fuck this weird town, this creepy art school with a bunch of people Max isn't really friends with and save Chloe (after recreating a crazy week of adventure, romance, and danger). I kind of loved the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending - pure chaos, for the love of a best friend. Why not! Road trip to Portland, here we come! I'm also one of those evil people who killed Frank's dog. Peace, Pompidou!

Also, some of those nightmare sequences were absolutely creepy! Max Payne levels of creepy- Warren's locker, that flashlight scenario, hearing Samuel's voice, those gigantic squirrels, stepping through alternate realities, amazing!

Absolutely loved the game - it was really emotionally moving, and the soundtrack just brought a shit ton of sweeping high school nostalgia. When Saddle Creek was really roaring, the Dresden Dolls were splitting up and Mogwai was creating perfection. Hearing "Lua" really was the best moment in the game for me, I was instantly transported to some endearing moments of messing around with an ex as high school was ending/her favorite song.

This game. It was everything.

So, just finished it and it was something incredible.

Regarding the ending choices,
I guess I'm selfish. Part of me was just like fuck this weird town, this creepy art school with a bunch of people Max isn't really friends with and save Chloe (after recreating a crazy week of adventure, romance, and danger). I kind of loved the "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" ending - pure chaos, for the love of a best friend. Why not! Road trip to Portland, here we come! I'm also one of those evil people who killed Frank's dog. Peace, Pompidou!

Also, some of those nightmare sequences were absolutely creepy! Max Payne levels of creepy- Warren's locker, that flashlight scenario, hearing Samuel's voice, those gigantic squirrels, stepping through alternate realities, amazing!

Absolutely loved the game - it was really emotionally moving, and the soundtrack just brought a shit ton of sweeping high school nostalgia. When Saddle Creek was really roaring, the Dresden Dolls were splitting up and Mogwai was creating perfection. Hearing "Lua" really was the best moment in the game for me, I was instantly transported to some endearing moments of messing around with an ex as high school was ending/her favorite song.

This game. It was everything.

He gets it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was really enjoying the game before, but man, the end of episode 3... This is some seriously good stuff.

Just beat the game and it's incredible.

As to the endings:

I chose to sacrifice Chloe, but have watched both endings.

To me, the Bay ending just doesn't have as much emotional impact/repercussion on the player's decision. Maybe seeing Warren's dead body, or Chloe's parents, something like that.

Ultimately, to me, the ending with Chloe being sacrificed is perfect. From the music, to the impact, to the overall narrative surrounding the choices we make to change fate, that ending will stay with me for a while.

Freeman76

I was really enjoying the game before, but man, the end of episode 3... This is some seriously good stuff.

One of the most memorable moments of any game ive played. In fact the whole of chapter 4 afterwards made me contemplate how lucky i am in life. Amazing experience i hope they do more seasons.

Jetman

Just started it and having some trouble finishing the first episode. Just may not be for me. Storyline wise it seems very juvenile right now?
Bought it on GAF's reccomendation, and may keep slogging through it since everyone here seems to love it.

Freeman76

Just started it and having some trouble finishing the first episode. Just may not be for me. Storyline wise it seems very juvenile right now?
Bought it on GAF's reccomendation, and may keep slogging through it since everyone here seems to love it.

I gave up on it halfway through episode 2, it felt too american teen-like. I picked it up again to try and get into it and it just got better and better and by the end of episode 4 i was actually thinking this is one the most relevant to life games ive ever played. I literally played from halfway through 2 all the way to the end in 2 play sessions. For me the highlight was episodes 3 and 4.

jett

D-Member
This was a cute game. It's a game that just keeps getting better and better, especially chapter 4.

Also, I hadn't thought about Donnie Darko in over a decade LOL. This game really wears its influences on its sleeve, but that's okay.

I wish I could wipe my memory and replay this. Now that 2015 is pretty much over, this was most definitely the most memorable game for me. Eps 2, 3 and 4 tackled some heady subject material that you just plain don't see in games really. Props to DontNod, and would love to see another season of this featuring new characters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Episode 4, and damn, these guys know how to end an episode.

I kind of guessed what was coming, but it didn't play out exactly like I expected--just the same person. Hopefully I can find time to finish this up tomorrow. Been a hell of a ride so far.

Top Bottom