• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Megatron

I also just finished episode 4. (I also finished eps 2 and 3 today) holy shit! So many turns!
Chloe is dead! Jefferson is a bad guy! And max never submitted her photo!

Going to bed now. Will finish this tomorrow.

Jetman

I gave up on it halfway through episode 2, it felt too american teen-like. I picked it up again to try and get into it and it just got better and better and by the end of episode 4 i was actually thinking this is one the most relevant to life games ive ever played. I literally played from halfway through 2 all the way to the end in 2 play sessions. For me the highlight was episodes 3 and 4.

<sigh> Yeah? I'll probably go back to it at some point then. Just looked at the other thread here for it and a lot of older guys had issues with the awkward teen dialogue and thought it was trying too hard also.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Episode 1 done, interesting.
Why couldn't I talk to the skaters? They thought I was lame.

Missed some photos too.

Because you're a poser.
Rewind power gives you an additional dialogue option there I think.

GRaider81

<sigh> Yeah? I'll probably go back to it at some point then. Just looked at the other thread here for it and a lot of older guys had issues with the awkward teen dialogue and thought it was trying too hard also.

I'm a guy in mid thirties, while some dialogue is a bit iffy the overall themes of this have struck a chord.

It's really made me think about life in a big way and despite a lot of hardships makes me realise how lucky I am.

It has made me want to be a better person.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished it up. Tough choice at the end! I do wish they showed the consequences of my choice a bit more, but it ended well overall.

I really liked this game. Great story with a lot of memorable characters and moments. I really hope these guys get a chance to do more adventure type games, because they are quite good at it.

Just finished episode 5 and WOW that was a hell of a ride. Chose the
Sacrifice Chloe ending and thought it was a really impactful and emotional ending. Well until Larry David showed up as the Reverand. Took me out of the moment a bit :p

Elija2

Just finished episode 5 and WOW that was a hell of a ride. Chose the
Sacrifice Chloe ending and thought it was a really impactful and emotional ending. Well until Larry David showed up as the Reverand. Took me out of the moment a bit :p

Holy shit, I'm glad I'm not the only person who saw Larry David.

Filben

Chose the
Sacrifice Chloe ending and thought it was a really impactful and emotional ending.
I think it is also much better in writing.
I didn't have the heart to sacrifice her but I watched the alternative on youtube and find it much more fitting and more to be a closure.

Demoskinos

Just beat the game and it's incredible.

As to the endings:

I chose to sacrifice Chloe, but have watched both endings.

To me, the Bay ending just doesn't have as much emotional impact/repercussion on the player's decision. Maybe seeing Warren's dead body, or Chloe's parents, something like that.

Ultimately, to me, the ending with Chloe being sacrificed is perfect. From the music, to the impact, to the overall narrative surrounding the choices we make to change fate, that ending will stay with me for a while.

To me the Bae over Bay ending was still great. Its the one I chose. I think to me it was Max finally coming to peace with the fact that the more she messes with time the worse it got. So she just lives with her decisions. There is so the fact that I for once wanted to be selfish.

Demoskinos

I'm a guy in mid thirties, while some dialogue is a bit iffy the overall themes of this have struck a chord.

It's really made me think about life in a big way and despite a lot of hardships makes me realise how lucky I am.

It has made me want to be a better person.

Also in my 30's now. And just like the other poster there were cringy moments but I think overall the relationships work. It also struck a number of chords with me. I don't know if I've ever been so emotionally invested in a story before. Its a bit of a slow burn for the first two episodes. I think the slow build is for the better. The quiet moments at the beginning help you appreciate the madness that are the final two episodes.

jett

D-Member
Checked youtube and apparently (ending spoilers)
Chloe and Max can actually end up being in love at the end, with full-on kissing and shit (you have to sacrifice her). I guess you have to kiss her back in chapter 2 or wherever it was and reject Warren completely for that to happen. Kind of odd to leave Max's sexual orientation up to the whims of the player.

Checked youtube and apparently (ending spoilers)
Chloe and Max can actually end up being in love at the end, with full-on kissing and shit (you have to sacrifice her). I guess you have to kiss her back in chapter 2 or wherever it was and reject Warren completely for that to happen. Kind of odd to leave Max's sexual orientation up to the whims of the player.

You actually don't have to completely reject Warren. I accepted his invitation and kissed him in chapter 5 and Max and Chloe still kissed when I chose the sacrifice Chloe ending.

Apdiddy

I just finished Episode 2 and I'm already crying....the story is a lot better than I thought it would be. The only problem I have is with Chloe and her constant use of the word 'hella.' The rest of the dialogue in the game is great, especially that moment with Chloe & Max in Episode 2. The soundtrack is absolute perfection.

I also would seriously watch an actual TV show based on this game.

I just finished Episode 2 and I'm already crying....the story is a lot better than I thought it would be. The only problem I have is with Chloe and her constant use of the word 'hella.' The rest of the dialogue in the game is great, especially that moment with Chloe & Max in Episode 2. The soundtrack is absolute perfection.

I also would seriously watch an actual TV show based on this game.

Ricki Ortiz is the only person to say 'hella' more than Chloe.

Yomidi

Finished the game. Really liked even if I didn't care much of Chloe.
Yes, I choose the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending

Jetman

Also in my 30's now. And just like the other poster there were cringy moments but I think overall the relationships work. It also struck a number of chords with me. I don't know if I've ever been so emotionally invested in a story before. Its a bit of a slow burn for the first two episodes. I think the slow build is for the better. The quiet moments at the beginning help you appreciate the madness that are the final two episodes.

Wow. Well alright! I'll pick it up and try to give it another try tomorrow then.

Finished this yesterday. Was a pretty good game even if it follows obvious time manipulation tropes.

Definitely worth it for the $13 I payed during the steam sale, and most of the dialogue didn't make me cringe...most.

Bog

Junior Ace
Reposted from the less active thread.

End game spoilers:
I
sacrificed the town as I thought that's what the character would do after changing everything she can just to keep Chloe alive. She could always change her mind and jump into another picture anyway.

I'd accept the sacrifice Chloe ending as canon though, since it's obviously a 'final destination' scenario and Max's powers were just a way to spend a few days with her before the inevitable.

One thing that doesn't make sense though:
Max has a vision of the tornado before she even saves Chloe in Ch. 1. Also in the timeline where Chloe is shot, the storm is still happening outside. If the storm is only happening because Chloe is supposed to be dead, well, she is.

Filben

Max has a vision of the tornado before she even saves Chloe in Ch. 1.
Maybe she altered time for the first time unconscious and what we see isn't the first time. Or it was already determined—
as it seems that all decisions turn out to be wrong
—no matter what you do. Or maybe she just saw what happens, when she uses her rewind power. It's a vision, though.

oroboros

Great game. Yeah some of the dialog was cringe, but really if you put a candid camera on anyone and their friends in their teens or early 20s there is going to be a lot of cringe worthy stuff, awkward moments, and weird slag. Made it a bit more charming and realistic compared to some so-called "good" writing where the young people always have the most perfect insightful, funny, or clever thing to say in every situation all the time.

I'm a sucker for time travel stories. And the thought experiment, if you could go back and stop bad things from happening, change regrets, or prevent losses would it really make things better or actually fuck stuff up even more, is interesting.

Never really liked the TellTale games like this, so glad I finally gave Life Is Strange a shot. Now I'm looking forward to more story-driven games in the future as the genre keeps evolving and improving.

DieH@rd

Banned
Finished. Good game.

Ep5 was the weakest, although the ending choice made me stop for a minute. In the end I chose to
save Chloe.
Sadly that end gave very weak epilogue, many every side char destiny left unsaid.

Bog

Junior Ace
Finished. Good game.

Ep5 was the weakest, although the ending choice made me stop for a minute. In the end I chose to
save Chloe.
Sadly that end gave very weak epilogue, many every side char destiny left unsaid.

I think
the destruction
left it pretty well said.

Sande

Max has a vision of the tornado before she even saves Chloe in Ch. 1. Also in the timeline where Chloe is shot, the storm is still happening outside. If the storm is only happening because Chloe is supposed to be dead, well, she is.
The storm is happening because Max changed things, not because Chloe is alive. That's why Chloe dying later doesn't fix anything.

I remember thinking "Telltale has been left in the dust" after playing Life is Strange and the first episode of King's Quest.

Then I played Tales from the Borderlands and thought "Nope, this is just an all-around amazing year for adventure games".

emag

To me the Bae over Bay ending was still great. Its the one I chose. I think to me it was Max finally coming to peace with the fact that the more she messes with time the worse it got. So she just lives with her decisions. There is so the fact that I for once wanted to be selfish.

I get the selfish bit -- as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's kind of like the ending of
The Last of Us, albeit less ambiguous/justifiable
. But
the decision is between keeping the fractured timeline with Chloe alive (and the town destroyed) or undoing all of Max's mess by letting time proceed as it should with Chloe shot in the bathroom.

I do wish that
Chloe
would use the cut lines instead of the actual ones depending on your in-game actions up to that point. E.g.,
if you'd ignored Kate's phone call (at the diner) and sided with Chloe over David (in front of Joyce), Chloe would remain selfish and tell you to let Arcadia Bay die, whereas if you'd done the opposite she'd ask you to sacrifice her for the city (as she does).

But Max had the vision even before she changed a thing right?

The vision is a premonition or a warning of the storm to come. The vision itself is not the storm.

SomTervo

Just started it and having some trouble finishing the first episode. Just may not be for me. Storyline wise it seems very juvenile right now?
Bought it on GAF's reccomendation, and may keep slogging through it since everyone here seems to love it.

1 is the low point.

DedValve

Banned
Literally just finished it and chose
sacrifice chloe

that fucking kiss ;_; I AM IN TEARS

OH GOD THIS IS SO FUCKING GOOD.

On Episode 5:
what was the point of playing as Victoria?

This was a cute game. It's a game that just keeps getting better and better, especially chapter 4.

Also, I hadn't thought about Donnie Darko in over a decade LOL. This game really wears its influences on its sleeve, but that's okay.

I though more Butterfly Effect more than anything.

Apdiddy

Episode 3 just made this my GOTY. Possibly.

That ending....the music gave me chills.

tumblr_lqvr4cREUS1qhwxm8.gif

Linkark07

Banned
So just... finished Chapter 5...

Always knew there won't be a happy ending but damn, Chloe or the town. Chose Chloe in the end, can't let her die.

Excellent game, excellent. Cheers to DontNod for making this great game. My only complaint is
lack of a real epilogue if you choose to save Chloe.

Also felt bad for what I did to
David. Really misinterpreted him

ryan-ts

Kudos to the developer for leaving me with a decision that I actually cared about. As much as the game seems to suggest that the
sacrifice Chloe
choice is the "better" ending, I'm not sure there's a right choice
given all the struggles Max goes through to save Chloe

Zakalwe

Banned
Just started this game, finished the first episode.

It's good, but I really can't stand most of the music which really drags it down for me - the track while exploring the garage particularly ( a few tracks were awesome though, and I'm sure the later episodes will have more I like too). Still, I'll definitely be buying the full game, it's a unique experience and quite charming for the most part.

Just started this game the other day and finished the first episode yesterday evening. Awesome so far and I love the soundtrack. Is it on vinyl?

openrob

Been posting in the other threads, but man I loved this game soooo much.
Just completed it last night and its just so aghhhjhj!!!! I guess 'feels' is the right world. The biggest conflict I had in approaching the ending was knowing that it was going to over soon, and I should savour it, but that I feel compelled to keep playing.

I have recently been looking for a big, vast game to get lost in.
I tried Xenoblade, I tried Skyrim etc... But what I wanted wasn't vastness, it was depth. And this game game that to me.

I also like that aside from the choices that affect the plot heavily, there are choices just within the game becuase. Not everything has to be an investment to the plot.

The pacing is a little of in certain places, but the shortness of the chapters mean it never really becoms an issue.

One of my favourite scenes is in Chapter 5
The car scene SPOILERS towards the end
, but thought Chapter 4 was overall the best one.

Bog

Junior Ace
I initially helped Alyssa when she got hit with the football, but then I talked to her and could not possibly hate her more. So I rewound and undid saving her to make sure she got hit again.

I then did the same every time you could save her from humiliation.

emag

I initially helped Alyssa when she got hit with the football, but then I talked to her and could not possibly hate her more. So I rewound and undid saving her to make sure she got hit again.

I then did the same every time you could save her from humiliation.

If you keep saving Alyssa throughout the game,
when she's actually in danger during the storm in episode 5, she will inadvertently kill herself to avoid your help ("Stay away Max. When you show up, I always have to move," she says, taking a step back into thin air).

openrob

If you keep saving Alyssa throughout the game,
when she's actually in danger during the storm in episode 5, she will inadvertently kill herself to avoid your help ("Stay away Max. When you show up, I always have to move," she says, taking a step back into thin air).

You can still save her I think, she done that to me, but I reversed there was a plank of wood you could use to save her.

Finished the game today. Fucking excellent. I chose the
Sacrifice Arcadia Bay
ending. I thought that
despite sacrificing Chole would do the most good that there had to be a reason that Max got rewind powers and if it wasn't meant to save Chole then what was the whole point of getting them and starting this adventure?That's what I thought when I chose. Thinking about it now maybe it was just to bring to light Rachel Amber and the shit Nathan and Mr. Jefferson were doing. Or maybe it was nothing at all. What a cruel twist that would be. After watching the sacrificing chole ending I feel that one has the most emotional impact and felt true to the core of Max's character.

Apdiddy

I had to take breaks during Episode 4 -- it was almost too much for me.
Euthanize your best friend AND finding the "Laura Palmer" of the story? Too much. Wow.

I ended up
sacrifice Chloe
and even that was too much for me.
Chloe's final speech at the end did me in as well - Ashly Burch is simply incredible. Anyone else would have played that character as a cliché but you could feel the hurt.
I didn't expect that me as a 30 something year old man would be bawling at the ending of a game -- Dontnod did their job and then some.

I don't want a Life Is Hella Strange/Life Is Strange 2. Please. The ending for sacrifice Chloe is perfect and sacrifice Arcadia Bay leaves the door open for a sequel where Max and Chloe can go to another town and destroy it due to Max's time powers.

I also think Sean Prescott had a more direct part than the game showed. I wouldn't have been surprised if he saw Nathan and Mark Jefferson take photos or is a doomsday prepper and thinks Mark Jefferson is too. I found that Sean Prescott wrote a lot about 'taking our destiny' to Nathan in-game, so it makes sense.

Top Bottom