• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

It's about acceptance, essentially. The only way to fix it re: saving the Bay, is, yes, to go back in time, but then allo events to unfold as they would have. Trying to have everything broke everything. The theme is infinitely more important than the plot device, if you see what I mean, and I don't think it's contradictory. The 'fixing' is the issue (hiding William's keys), not the going back in time.

I know what you are talking about but that's not how I interpreted the mechanic behind the time travel thing. To me it appeared that everytime she uses her photo ability a new universe/timeline is created which started to overlap each other or something causing the trouble. I don't think either was explicitly said in the game or even hinted at but for some reason that's what I thought. So going back only would have made it worse... But apparently I'm in minority with seeing it that way.

jett

D-Member
Yikes. Just wrapped up Ep. 4 and well...Let's just say I adored everything up to the final reveal. That final shot may be the biggest bullshit moment in interactive storytelling. I really hope ep. 5 makes good sense of it and doesn't utterly destroy what this entire journey has been building.

It's not particularly great or satisfying, no, but it's not as terrible as it makes it seem. Adjust dem expectations.

She doesn't deal with her grief very well, but she lost her dad aged 13 or whatever, who she adored. No, she wasn't super strong, she was weak. She can be annoying, but I can completely understand her.

Still think she is over-reacting. That said, I think this may have to do with the job I currently have. I work with troubled youth. And while they similarly fuck up, her life is a dream compared to this. Maybe I have been desensitized.

Heh, that's probably a significant factor!

That said, I like to think it's possible to accept her character even as you know there is worse out there. It's not a competition, even if she can be very self-interested.

Plus, it makes her character arc actually work ;)

Oddduck

Yikes. Just wrapped up Ep. 4 and well...Let's just say I adored everything up to the final reveal. That final shot may be the biggest bullshit moment in interactive storytelling. I really hope ep. 5 makes good sense of it and doesn't utterly destroy what this entire journey has been building.

What's the problem with the reveal?

I really enjoyed the twist and I thought it made a lot of sense. I don't see how it's a bullshit moment?

Big spoiler:
For the entire game, Max talked about how she idolizes Jefferson and has a crush on him. So it makes sense, from a storytelling perspective, that her biggest idol would turn out to be a huge scumbag.

Filben

And while they similarly fuck up, her life is a dream compared to this.
But it's not a dream for her. You can't extrapolate your experience into another being. That's her world, her universe and while not for everyone (or as other people might have more serious problem) it's kind of hell for her.

But then again, it's your feeling of "over-reacted" which is fine, though! But, just in case, don't tell anyone their problems aren't that big and his life is a dream compared to others. Won't help. I know from experience with troubled people that even the smallest things could mean the world for them.
So the good ending is
I don't think there's a real good ending here.

Quocia

Neo Member
The game was not that expensive in the first place, and the price for the collector edition is quite fair.

It was my first digital game and hopefully the last, I'm glad they released a cd version.

Okay, I know I'm a bit behind here, but I need to talk about this. Just finished Episode 3 and I have to write about this!

I lost my dad when I was 7 to cancer that could have been spotted earlier. It's messed up my family in various ways, so that ending has completely floored me - I sat there, controller in hand going if they don't let me save William, I am not going to play this game again. I was trying everything to find that hiding place, crying pretty much throughout.

When the ending scene began, I had the biggest smile on my face - I was so excited to see what I had accomplished. Knocking on the door I thought it would show me William had died in an accident, that time had continued fairly normally. For him to answer the door was brilliant - I'm getting chills just writing this.

And then Chloe in the wheelchair. I still know, given my past, that I would save the dad. Every. Single. Time. But the emotional impact has knocked me for six. Absolutely amazing. I'm writing this with a weird feeling of sadness and joy. Sadness for my dad, my family and all the things I can't change. Joy that a game has made me think about such stuff. Love it.

I didn't quite realize how good the music at the Vortex Club Party from Episode 4. It doesn't shake me of that depressing feeling this game has given me, but it certainly helps.

I'm thinking there maybe could've been a third ending:
Maxcould have rushed at Nathan when he had the gun out and, instead of Chloe, Max takes the bullet. Nathan rats on Jefferson for a plea with the police and they both get put away, and Chloe discovers the fate of Rachel. She's broken big-time since two of her friends are now dead... and... hmmm.
I'm thinking they may have had the idea but didn't go with it since it would seem... kinda dumb and would extend the game in a direction we didn't need.. But hey, just a thought I had. Either way, there is no goddamn happy ending and I'm utterly bummed out. Whole game felt like skin-deep cuts.

Where's some merch for this game?

epmode

I still liked my ending, GAF. My only beef with Life is Strange is that
the increasingly destructive natural disasters were clearly pointing to a global apocalypse, not just a tornado in Arcadia Bay. It was ambiguous up until the fourth chapter and the second goddamned moon appeared. Felt like the stakes were lowered when it was clear that ONLY Arcadia Bay was fucked.
I didn't quite realize how good the music at the Vortex Club Party from Episode 4. It doesn't shake me of that depressing feeling this game has given me, but it certainly helps.

That whole party scene was handled so well. Could have gone wrong in a billion different ways.

Elija2

I still liked my ending, GAF. My only beef with Life is Strange is that
the increasingly destructive natural disasters were clearly pointing to a global apocalypse, not just a tornado in Arcadia Bay. It was ambiguous up until the fourth chapter and the second goddamned moon appeared. Felt like the stakes were lowered when it was clear that ONLY Arcadia Bay was fucked.

Wasn't there a news report that you could listen to that said that the second moon was only spotted in Arcadia Bay?

epmode

Wasn't there a news report that you could listen to that said that the second moon was only spotted in Arcadia Bay?

If there was, I missed it or forgot about it. I liked the global apocalypse thing better even though it made the choice to sacrifice Chloe easier.

Man, I do want that limited edition, but its a bit expensive paying 40 euro odd for a game I already own :(

No issues for me. Putting aside the fact that I intend to pick it up on PS4 (bought it digitally on Xbox One) and I already had no such quelms buying again, if I bitched about buying a copy of the game again for a second time, I'd have no ground to stand on considering I've double dipped numerous games before AND own GTA V across five different platforms (PS3/4, X360/XB1 and PC).

Just finished the game. Great experience, through and through. Great writing and atmospheric touches all over the place. Looking forward to seeing what the developers do next.

Finished it up. What a fantastic game.

So many of the characters just felt so real to me. Kate, Warren, and Chloe's dad in particular all reminded me of people I know in real life. Max and Chloe's relationship also hit pretty close to home. Losing touch with a childhood friend and seeing how they changed... Just great stuff.

Definitely my favourite of these style of adventure games.

Beat the game. I highly enjoyed it. Put in 13 hours into it over the past two days. My only gripe was
I felt that creepier teacher taking creepy photos was...dumb. I mean it is fine to have the game so off tone, but either make it realistically dark or not dark at all. Having a psychopath who merely wants to take pictures of you for the "breaking of the innocence" and more often than not release you is just...dumb.

I also can't believe that so many people picked
the sacrifice Anchor Bay ending. Really seems to go against the game's point.
Though to be fair I haven't seen what happens in it.

I have a question though: What was the
photo Max handed Mr. Jefferson that got him busted?

I am officially endorsing this game as Lionel Mandrake's Game of the Year 2015. You may now use said branding in all future mentions of Life is Strange.

Elija2

I have a question though: What was the
photo Max handed Mr. Jefferson that got him busted?

The photo isn't what got Mr. Jefferson busted, it was Max's text to David Madsen about the location of the Dark Room that got him busted. The photo was just Max's entry for the "Everyday Heroes" contest.

emag

The photo isn't what got Mr. Jefferson busted, it was Max's text to David Madsen about the location of the Dark Room that got him busted. The photo was just Max's entry for the "Everyday Heroes" contest.

To follow up,
when Max later destroys the photo (to avoid winning and leaving Arcadia Bay), it causes Jefferson to burn all of her photos, so the timeline doesn't allow Max to jump back to class and text David Madsen (so Max is still captured by Madsen).
I thought it was nice that DONTNOD doesn't entirely spell that out.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Just finished the game. I loved the episodes 2, 3 and 4, but found the last one to be a disappointment.

I didn't mind the lack of a happy ending because I didn't expect one, but both endings effectively overriding every previous choice was a huge letdown. The game keeps mentioning that your decisions matter, but they ultimately don't: either you rewind one last time and undo everything, or almost the entire cast dies and your interactions with these characters mean nothing. I was really looking forward to replaying the game multiple times and seeing different branches and endings. As it turns out, there's nothing to see.

Still, Life is Strange is a big improvement over Remember Me, and Vampyr will be a very special game, if another comparable jump in quality happens.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just finished the second episode and I feel really bad
about Kate dying. I even befriended her (answered the call, wiped her board clean two times, removed the viral link url), but she still jumped. I found that nice card her father wrote her, but I still picked 'mother' in the choice. tbh I thought the choices wouldn't mean much anymore because she was already close to coming off the roof. She even says 'I'll come with with you Max'. Then suddenly her demeanor changes completely, and she jumps anyway. That was a really weird moment, it's like the game suddenly realizes you fucked a question too many, and she's gone.

I kinda want a do-over, but I'll just stick with the hand I'm dealt I guess :( This is like
Until Dawn but worse, because you actually care about the characters.

She even says 'I'll come with with you Max'. Then suddenly her demeanor changes completely, and she jumps anyway. That was a really weird moment, it's like the game suddenly realizes you fucked a question too many, and she's gone.

Yeah, I noticed that too. She sometimes switches from being positive to negative when you get to the next set of choices. It didn't bother me too much, but it was a bit odd.

k4n3

Banned
I know what you are talking about but that's not how I interpreted the mechanic behind the time travel thing. To me it appeared that everytime she uses her photo ability a new universe/timeline is created which started to overlap each other or something causing the trouble. I don't think either was explicitly said in the game or even hinted at but for some reason that's what I thought. So going back only would have made it worse... But apparently I'm in minority with seeing it that way.

i agree the 'good ending' makes no sense from a scientific point (you're just messing with time again creating another rift) also and to me the whole 'acceptance' spin is more like be passive and do nothing... they keep pounding home the point all game about 'putting yourself out there' then in the end she hides in a corner and lets her friend die? true acceptance would be to stop playing with time and accept what has happen or what is about to

side note the only way you get the girl is the 'bad ending' so remember kids if you're gay a small town will be sucked into a giant tornado lol

amazing game though

I was halfway through episode 4 last year until i got this horribly annoying cloud syncing issues on Xbox One. I couldn't fully fix the issue at the time and thus lost my savegames for Life is Strange. Decided to play it again today, was about to just start episode 4 again, but since choices do matter in this game...it felt off and decided to completely start over.

Finished episode 1 and i will try to finish it all tomorrow. Can't wait to find out what happens in the rest of 4 and 5.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
[episode 3] So cool when
you use the pipe bomb, enter the office and rewind to unlock the door for Chloe. Max the teleporter!

This game is ridiculous. I can't get it out of my mind. To put this into perspective: I haven't produced a song in probably a year, maybe more, but after playing this game, I put together five songs in less then a week. Life is Strange is certainly the inspiration steroid I needed.

Time to start this game again and make all the wrong decisions (except the final one, since I chose the wrong one the first time).

edit: six songs.

This game is ridiculous. I can't get it out of my mind. To put this into perspective: I haven't produced a song in probably a year, maybe more, but after playing this game, I put together five songs in less then a week. Life is Strange is certainly the inspiration steroid I needed.

That sounds fantastic! Congrats.

Love seeing this and the spoiler thread get bumped everyday with new people checking out the game. Love it or hate it, it was an experience.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just finished episode 3.

FUCK. that hurts.

Same here. Wow. These last two episodes were a gutpunch. I'm taking a small break before I start ep4. And fuck me for not
spotting that gun in Frank's trailer.

Oh and btw, question about the end of ep2:
does Kate die either way? Because they'd have to replace and rewrite a lot, since everyone talks about it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Nope, you can save her.
How is that for a gut punch? ;p

You messed up buddy! :p

I thought maybe
if you saved her, she gets killed another way :p But yeah, choices and decisions do have an impact. It's like I said in the previous page: I came very close to saving her, she even says she'd come down as Max was her only friend. But then I fucked up the family and bible question, and suddenly she jumps. Her sudden change in demeanor felt odd. It still gnaws at me though.

I want to replay this already

Almost done with ep2 again and i find two things a bit stupid....

At the junkyard when Chloe uses the gun on a object and the bullet hits her. Max says ''stupid gun.'' nah girly.....Chloe was stupid. This is nothing big though...

This is found rather odd though..

Kate on the roof and eventually she says she'll come with you. Max gets closer and then Kate goes all wild again about she should not come any closer when Max asks to hug her......da fuck? She was ready to come with her just mere seconds ago.......

Oh and about the plant.....

I watered it in both episode 1 and 2, but now in 3 i can only look at it and Max says she saved Kate but drowned her own plant......so i shouldnt have watered it in 2?

What you mean?
ive seen the bottles in the nightmare scene but there was no need to pick them up.

It's for one of the optional photos.
There are two in the nightmare, one you can find during one of the "stealth" sections and for another you need to collect all the bottles.

Oh and about the plant.....

I watered it in both episode 1 and 2, but now in 3 i can only look at it and Max says she saved Kate but drowned her own plant......so i shouldnt have watered it in 2?

I believe you should
only water it in one of the two episodes, either 1 or 2. Doing it in neither or both will cause it to die.
I made the same mistake by the way. Oops.

Necrovex

Finally had the chance to play LoS, and this is most likely my GOTY. Granted I have only played like three new titles this year since I only have a potato of a laptop, living in Africa with an American 3DS and a Vita, all with no internet. But that doesn't matter too much as this would've been in my top three regardless.

Ending spoiler:
I see some complaints about the ending, but I quite enjoyed it. I chose the canonical ending, which broke my heart. That moment with Max kissing Chole, knowing it was the end, was the epitome of bittersweet. I didn't mind it wiped out the consequences of past choices (low expectations on this front certainly helped). What impressed me was canonical ending slam dunking its main themes.

I also saved Kate on my first go around. When in doubt, choose the NT verse; NT is 95% of the time kinder than OT verses. Also kudos for the developer putting in a lot of work to reflect the player's action of either saving or not saving Kate. I appreciate seeing that consequence echo consistently in the latter chapters.

I am now a believer of this developer.

This is found rather odd though..

Kate on the roof and eventually she says she'll come with you. Max gets closer and then Kate goes all wild again about she should not come any closer when Max asks to hug her......da fuck? She was ready to come with her just mere seconds ago.......

Man, I didn't know people in emotional and spiritual turmoil would behave erratically!

:p

t hicks

Banned
I finished this over the weekend and I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't been that affected by a games story probably ever.
Gonna play through it again after I finish Tomb Raider for sure...
Definitely my 2015 GOTY next to the witcher.

chadskin

CYJn-uWWsAU6YQ4.png

https://twitter.com/machinima/status/685224421058031616

Top Bottom