• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Life' the follow-up to Planet Earth, narrated by David Attenborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

98d11s.jpg

Wes

venison crêpe
Reno7728 said:
I love this making off bits - and I want to go diving under an ice floe

I preferred when all the making off bits were in a special one off episode at the end of the series, rather than tagged on for 10 minutes at the end of every episode.

Reno7728

Wes said:
I preferred when all the making off bits were in a special one off episode at the end of the series, rather than tagged on for 10 minutes at the end of every episode.
Probably - but I do like how you can see them film the amazing bits you just saw, I wish we saw the making of the hippos scene.

Also is the show going to have episodes more specific to certain species or environments as the series carries on?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So excited. Planet Earth remains my most-prized Blu Ray by far.

I'm a little apprehensive, though. It sounds like this one might be more sad/depressing than Planet Earth was. Wild animals have it tough :lol

The most depressing parts of Planet Earth were seeing all the animals barely scraping by.

Reno7728 said:
Probably - but I do like how you can see them film the amazing bits you just saw, I wish we saw the making of the hippos scene.

Also is the show going to have episodes more specific to certain species or environments as the series carries on?
Yes, check the OP for episode details.

Absolutely breathtaking, this series has the potential to surpass Planet Earth as the must-have HD nature documentary. Sir David's narration was as classy and informative as always, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. WOW.

Edit: Those poor penguin chicks. :(

Walshicus

Koshiro said:
Helped me out there too, cheers. Loving it so far, though they seemed to skip explaining a few things, which was odd...
Episode 1 is kind of just the intro. They go into more depth later, just like with Planet Earth.

cramcakes

This looks amazing. Reminds me that I still need to get Planet Earth on blu ray. Are the other BBC sets worth it (Ganges, Wild China, Galapagos etc)? Or stick with the Attenborough ones?

cramcakes said:
This looks amazing. Reminds me that I still need to get Planet Earth on blu ray. Are the other BBC sets worth it (Ganges, Wild China, Galapagos etc)? Or stick with the Attenborough ones?
They're definitely worth it in my opinion, also you should add South Pacific to your potential purchases. This series features some stunning footage of the more exotic environments in the world, and scenes like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BOhDaJH0m4

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just finished.

Incredible!

So impressed by:
the flying fish - had no idea they had such wings or such gliding distance; the nut-cracking monkeys! wow!; the octopus mother, much respect; the penguins...poor penguins :| ; and most of all: that frog. holy shit!

Amazed, enthralled and very humbled by it all.

As long as they do justice to sea creatures...I was so disappointed when Planet Earth's ocean segment barely had any whale footage or those strange/weird looking deep sea creatures. It was such a travesty

giga

Meus Renaissance said:
Why do I see a tribe chief in the Amazon smashing someone's head in a ritual sacrifice with a boulder everytime I see this picture?
Because you're racist!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Planet Earth feels like a time capsule and is one of the most amazing things ever produced, and its in glorious HD.

Im certainly interested in this.

Zoramon089 said:
As long as they do justice to sea creatures...I was so disappointed when Planet Earth's ocean segment barely had any whale footage or those strange/weird looking deep sea creatures. It was such a travesty
There's a whole episode dedicated to sea creatures, so I'm sure they'll do justice to them.

8. Creatures Of The Deep

446life_deep.jpg

Marine invertebrates are extraordinarily diverse, outnumbering fish by ten to one. They range from some of the most primitive creatures in the sea to some of the most intelligent.

The Life team travelled to the freezing waters of the Antarctic to film the slow motion world of the creatures living under the ice.

First they drilled a huge hole in the ice to feed all the equipment through. It took more than 150 dives to gradually construct and operate a tracking time lapse rig.

And, finally, they could film the behaviour of starfish, sea urchins and giant worms swarming over a dead seal pup, speeded up 500 times.

The Life team also discovered creating their very own ship wreck in the Bahamas was much more difficult than they imagined – but in the end the boat sank perfectly, settling upright on the bottom. The team returned several times during the next two years to watch nature take a hold on the rusting hulk

feel

GDJustin said:
It sounds like this one might be more sad/depressing than Planet Earth was. Wild animals have it tough :lol

The most depressing parts of Planet Earth were seeing all the animals barely scraping by.
In Planet Earth, when that elephant took off in the wrong direction..... :___(

Extollere said:
Looks cool, how is Planet Earth? Never seen it.
It's only the greatest thing out there on HD media. Go get it asap.

Brannon

Yeah.

Gonna have to get the Blu-ray of this and Planet Earth soon. Any way to get the Attenborough narrated version in the States?

methos75

Banned
cramcakes said:

By far, I actually go as far as too say that they others far exceed Planet earth as far as picture quality goes, particularly Galapagos.

cramcakes

methos75 said:
By far, I actually go as far as too say that they others far exceed Planet earth as far as picture quality goes, particularly Galapagos.

subzero9285 said:
They're definitely worth it in my opinion, also you should add South Pacific to your potential purchases. This series features some stunning footage of the more exotic environments in the world, and scenes like this;

Cool. I'm finally going HD later this year and I'm starting with this stuff.

methos75

Banned
Originally Posted by subzero9285:

What is South Pacific, I am assuming its the same as Wild Pacific which I have, but I guess I check to make sure I am not missing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom