• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park may be Reuniting

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s super difficult listening to her sing My December. That song was Chester’s.

It’s like listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit with a different artist. Anyone can admit that Kurt’s vocals make that track amazing.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I'm fascinated by Joe Hahn's role on stage. This might sound a bit negative, but I don't mean it to be, I just want to understand.

I am practically certain that aside from the occasional record scratch, he does nothing onstage, but effectively mime a performance. If anyone knows different, I'd love to know.

This is what I think the live show is in terms of the parts that are attributed to him. I know he does solos and so on, but I'm talking about in actual songs where the whole band are playing together.

LP definitely play to a click track (band listen to a metronome that they play to so everyone is in time with everything), they have to because they use samples and if the band are going too fast/slow it won't work, nothing will be in sync with the samples. You COULD keep adjusting the tempo during the performance, but I'm confident that isn't happening.

I think the samples are programmed to play automatically, because even if the tempo is entirely correct, if you trigger a sample too late then for the duration of that sample it will be out of time, in the case of something like "Faint" entire verses would sound terrible and there's no way to correct it. So he's not doing that, it's too high risk.

I guess he could be doing a tiny bit of percussion on his midi pads. But other than a bit of record scratching, I don't think he's doing anything.

What goes against that is that if I were him, I'd definitely learn to play piano and play the keyboard parts that Mike Shinoda plays, it'd make loads of sense for that to happen. Shinoda is a front man has a handheld mic when he can. So, maybe Hahn is busy doing something else? But what that might be, I can't work out. I googled it and apparently he posts to the bands social media during performances.

So, is he doing anything? Does anyone know? It'd be a miserable way to make a living. Standing onstage with 5 other musicians all playing instruments while you pretend to.

He is a camera man apparently

EwEycqh.jpeg

"What does Mr. Hahn actually do?" reminded me of the classic Depeche Mode joke - Dave sings, Martin does the music, third guy cashes the checks...
Hahn plays the samples on stage and takes over some of Mike's MIDI work. He also used to have his own little DJ-goes-nuts section.
Leeroy Thornhill from The Prodigy legit made a career from dancing in the background :messenger_grinning_sweat: But at least he was a badass dancer...

the-prodigy-out-of-space.gif

honestly these songs are sounding more like OG Linkin park to me than anything since maybe meteora??
Yea… I just heard the new League song and I liked it more than the debut song.

If they keep this up for an entire album I might have a new LP vinyl to collect, and my most recent vinyl of theirs was Collision Course (an underrated classic imo).

Neolombax

The new songs are growing on me. They sound more like Hybrid Theory/Meteora songs, I dig it. Don't really like it when the new vocalist sings the old LP songs though.

Top Bottom