• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Ok but that second pic clearly shows Windows is booting from UEFI boot mode which means you need to run Ubuntu from UEFI boot as well according to that page I linked which is the official Ubuntu Wiki.

Two things I can think of.

Are you sure the Ubuntu iso you downloaded is 64 bit? UEFI wont recognise the 32 bit Ubuntu iso.

What method did you use to make the bootable iso on USB? You need to use a special program to make the USB drive a bootable option. A program like Unetbootin will do that.

Sorry if the questions seem basic.
Thank you for assuming I don't know what I'm doing, because I don't - haha. I've never had to deal with the UEFI stuff, and I didn't know that I had to do something to the iso to make it bootable.

Now I'm in the installation phase, and for some reason Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS doesn't recognize that I have Windows 8 on my machine. So there is no "install alongside Windows 8" option. I have to manually create the partitions, which I have never had to mess with before.

These are what my options look like:
dnacNyx.jpg

Presumably, sda5 is Windows 8. How can I give most of that 500GB to Ubuntu without removing Windows 8?

What happens if I just install it on sda?

Thank you for assuming I don't know what I'm doing, because I don't - haha. I've never had to deal with the UEFI stuff, and I didn't know that I had to do something to the iso to make it bootable.

Now I'm in the installation phase, and for some reason Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS doesn't recognize that I have Windows 8 on my machine. So there is no "install alongside Windows 8" option. I have to manually create the partitions, which I have never had to mess with before.

These are what my options look like:

Presumably, sda5 is Windows 8. How can I give most of that 500GB to Ubuntu without removing Windows 8?

What happens if I just install it on sda?

Just a rough overview how I would do it:

Boot up Windows 8 - this is sda5 which has still free space (400GB) left. I guess the other sdaX are recovery/boot partitions? Now resize the Windows partition to a smaller size you seem fit. (in Windows 7 there was a option in the control center - administration/maintenance? to do the following) You probably can resize the partition within the Ubuntu installer aswell - I just prefer to let Windows "know" what I am doing. I don't trust it so much ;-)

So you get now xxx GB unallocated free space to use for Ubuntu:

Now reboot into the Linux installation and create 2 partitions with ext4 and one with swap. As mount points you use "/" your root partition, "home" your home partition and "swap". Of course you can also (this is my setup) skip swap if you have enough RAM (I would say >= 4GB) and install everything into "/" without a seperate "home" partition - basicly just create one big partition for everything.

I can't promise that this will work and rather wait for someone to confirm my method before you attempt any installation. I use LMDE and stopped using Windows some time ago and just have it in a VM so I can't tell for sure.

Just a rough overview how I would do it:

Boot up Windows 8 - this is sda5 which has still free space (400GB) left. I guess the other sdaX are recovery/boot partitions? Now resize the Windows partition to a smaller size you seem fit. (in Windows 7 there was a option in the control center - administration/maintenance? to do the following) You probably can resize the partition within the Ubuntu installer aswell - I just prefer to let Windows "know" what I am doing. I don't trust it so much ;-)

So you get now xxx GB unallocated free space to use for Ubuntu:

Now reboot into the Linux installation and create 2 partitions with ext4 and one with swap. As mount points you use "/" your root partition, "home" your home partition and "swap". Of course you can also (this is my setup) skip swap if you have enough RAM (I would say >= 4GB) and install everything into "/" without a seperate "home" partition - basicly just create one big partition for everything.

I can't promise that this will work and rather wait for someone to confirm my method before you attempt any installation. I use LMDE and stopped using Windows some time ago and just have it in a VM so I can't tell for sure.
Can you try and break this part down into simple English for me? Why am I making 2 partitions during my Ubuntu installation?

Can you try and break this part down into simple English for me? Why am I making 2 partitions during my Ubuntu installation?

I will try. Basicly creating 2 ext4 partitions called "/" (root) and "/home" is like having

c:\Windows and c:\users\yourname

In the root partition the OS will be installed ~typically around 20-30GB (space you should use not what it instantly needs) I would say and the rest of the space would go to your /home partition. There you store your music, downloads, settings for the UI/programs (this however could also be a downside in certains cases), etc.

This means you don't have to backup your personal data if you upgrade/reinstall your OS but just can attach the old /home to your new OS.

I you just put everything into "/" you will still have a home directory with your username and downloads, music, etc. folders but if for some reason you or the OS mess up you have more work to do.

What I don't know really much about is the boot manager and Windows 8 in combination with UEFI. Normally Grub just shows Windows or at least unrecognized OS in the boot options after the installation - I don't know if this is still the case with UEFI.

Gotcha. New question:

I am in Windows 8 trying to partition the C drive, and it won't let me split any more than 50% of the value off. Why, and how can I change that?

Gotcha. New question:

I am in Windows 8 trying to partition the C drive, and it won't let me split any more than 50% of the value off. Why, and how can I change that?

Ugh if I remember correctly that has something to do with how Windows file system NTFS stores data or something. You need a third party partition tool to shrink beyond 50% at least that was the way in Windows 7. So if you know what you are doing you probably can do that with the Ubuntu partition tool (don't know otherwise gparted might do the trick) BUT

I never did this myself and I am not a 100% sure that Windows will like that - there must be some reason why the internal partition software of Windows prevents that type of action.

As a dirty workaround - you can always access the NTFS partition from Linux. So basicly all the space you want to use for Linux that is on the non resizeable Windows side can be accessed from Ubuntu - maybe store your music or something you could use in both OS there. Not the most elegant solution but it is late here and I can't think of anything better.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DOTA2 now available for all aka it's gone "stable" on Linux. Like all Valve titles though you know it'll be constantly updated. Semi surprised it's considered stable so fast since everyone said the "beta" was rather iffy. That being said maybe they'd rather get more data from having it open to the public at large, and then will update accordingly.

OMGUbuntu Article

Before committing to downloading such a large game be sure to check that your computer meets the system requirements for DoTA 2 on Linux.

These are as follows:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Dual core Intel or AMD CPU @ 2.8 GHz
4GB RAM
8GB Hard Drive Space,
nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT with nVidia 310 drivers or
ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600 with AMD 12.11 drivers
OpenAL Compatible Sound Card

Vanillalite

Can I just post how much I hate AMD since I have a 4XXX series card and I have to use legacy drivers for that which require me to use an old version of X. Honestly wish I just had a new haswell processor with the built in GPU since Intel seem to have the best drivers of the crew (though Nvidia has stepped it up) since the Haswell GPU is rather beefy for an integrated GPU.

Massa

Can I just post how much I hate AMD since I have a 4XXX series card and I have to use legacy drivers for that which require me to use an old version of X. Honestly wish I just had a new haswell processor with the built in GPU since Intel seem to have the best drivers of the crew (though Nvidia has stepped it up) since the Haswell GPU is rather beefy for an integrated GPU.

Why not use the open source drivers? They're getting pretty damn good now (UVD in kernel 3.10 and power management will be in kernel 3.11).

phoenixyz

Can I just post how much I hate AMD since I have a 4XXX series card and I have to use legacy drivers for that which require me to use an old version of X.
Yes, it's ridiculous. Maybe they'll wake up when gaming gets more and more important on Linux (thanks to Valve).

Why not use the open source drivers? They're getting pretty damn good now (UVD in kernel 3.10 and power management will be in kernel 3.11).
I would love to, but the radeon driver in <=3.10 is just burning up my laptop. Temperatures are about 10-15°C higher in idle. Haven't tried the RC of 3.11 yet though.

Vanillalite

I am, but 3d performance for gaming isn't up to full snuff. Everything else is basically fine though with my current setup. I do have one weird bug where HD YouTube plays fine until I hit full screen. Then it is a slide show.

The amount of people who have an Android device and want to be "into Android" that have no clue about Linux or the larger FOSS world in general abound.

It makes dealing with certain issues a total uphill battle. *sigh*

This is a general statement though I'm particularly thinking of the people who are worried about SELinux as well as the people that think Google can just close source eveeything including the kernel.

Mohasus

I'm having a weird problem with all the distros I tried.

My mobo is an Asrock Z77 Pro4 and the onboard LAN adapter is a RTL8111E/8168B. For some reason, all distros end up installing the driver for RTL8169, so I have no connection. I was able to fix this in Ubuntu, but then learned that everytime I updated the kernel (or something like that), I would have to do it all again.

I can't even try other distros because of this.

But, some months ago when valve released steam, it worked flawlessly. :(

phoenixyz

My mobo is an Asrock Z77 Pro4 and the onboard LAN adapter is a RTL8111E/8168B. For some reason, all distros end up installing the driver for RTL8169, so I have no connection. I was able to fix this in Ubuntu, but then learned that everytime I updated the kernel (or something like that), I would have to do it all again.

I am no expert, but shouldn't the generic kernel contain this module? Can you enable it via modprobe or via /etc/module?

zoku88

I'm having a weird problem with all the distros I tried.

I can't even try other distros because of this.

But, some months ago when valve released steam, it worked flawlessly. :(

Uhm, are you sure the driver for 8169 and 8168 aren't the same?

I had a glance at the linux kernel config options and it looks like they're actually the same... (there is no separate 8168 module) I also see that other people are using 8169 for this adapter just fine. (Actually, I'm decently sure one of my computers uses this.)

Are you sure your problem isn't something else? Like something in userland?

Actually, as I was typing this, I just realized that my laptop that I hardly use has this same adapter (I think it's pretty popular?) And it is using the r8169 driver.

So, I doubt the driver is bad. I think it's something in userland? Although, weird that you would see it in all distros that you tried (unless they all are Ubuntu based.)

My laptop uses Arch Linux. Try out a live usb of that. You should have internet connected (might have to launch dhcpd yourself, don't remember.)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question about Chrome/Chromium in Ubuntu 13.04.

I've noticed that even when I close either browser completely, processes still linger when I check the System Monitor. Any idea why this is? I know Chrome/Chromium handle tabs and extensions as individual processes, but why do the processes remain, while they don't when you use something like FireFox?

It's kind of annoying to have all those processes running in the background when I'm not using the program.

nan0

I've noticed that even when I close either browser completely, processes still linger when I check the System Monitor. Any idea why this is? I know Chrome/Chromium handle tabs and extensions as individual processes, but why do the processes remain, while they don't when you use something like FireFox?

It's kind of annoying to have all those processes running in the background when I'm not using the program.

There should be a setting like "Leave Chrome open in background" or something. It's meant for a faster start and stuff like desktop notifications, I have it turned off in Windows.

IceCold

Someone told me to try out Elementary OS yesterday, and I'm impressed. I'm running it using a vm and I think it's the first time that everything works fine out of the box (especially considering it's virtualized). The animations (no graphics drivers issues) work and the track pad works (even the my thinkpad's nipple) being the main ones for me. Although It's running a bit slow...I should have allocated more cpu/ram to it.

Oh yeah, and it's still in beta.

Madtown_

As mentioned, there should be a setting. I think a lot of extensions have the ability to stay running all the time.

Someone told me to try out Elementary OS yesterday, and I'm impressed. I'm running it using a vm and I think it's the first time that everything works fine out of the box (especially considering it's virtualized). The animations (no graphics drivers issues) work and the track pad works (even the my thinkpad's nipple) being the main ones for me. Although It's running a bit slow...I should have allocated more cpu/ram to it.

This OS is sparking my interest, might try it out. How much CPU/RAM did you allocate?

IceCold

This OS is sparking my interest, might try it out. How much CPU/RAM did you allocate?

1 processor (I have an i5) and 1g of ram. It's the compiz animations that are making it a bit slow. I have a shitty graphics card too, but I know it would run fine if I was dual booting it.

Anybody else get the email about Ubuntu forums getting hacked? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. Fortunately I was in the process of changing all my passwords anyways but it sucks for anybody that had an account there.

phoenixyz

Anybody else get the email about Ubuntu forums getting hacked? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. Fortunately I was in the process of changing all my passwords anyways but it sucks for anybody that had an account there.

It has.

Looks like ubuntuforums.org has been hacked into with names, emails and encrypted passwords that have been stolen.

Apparently the passwords were salted and hashed with SHA512. If your password is decently strong you shouldn't be too concerned of it being broken very fast. Of course, changing it is still a good idea.

injurai

Banned

I have to say I really loved a lot about this OS when I tried in virtualbox. Probably the most amazing console emulator ever.

My issues though is that not nearly as many features are broken out into the UI like what you would have in Ubuntu/Mint. That was a bit of a deal breaker for me, because I care more about functionality then always playing around with the terminal.

I know it's in beta, so hopefully a lot of these things are added.

NotBacon

I've really been enjoying Elementary OS for the past month. Animations are fluid/natural and I love how minimalist it is whilst still having full control from the terminal.

The ONLY issue I had was a constant complete system freeze where I had to do a hard shut down every time. I figured out I was on linux kernel 3.2 and promptly upgraded to 3.8, now no more freezing and even better performance. Why they are using 3.2 I don't know...

Milchmann

I've really been enjoying Elementary OS for the past month. Animations are fluid/natural and I love how minimalist it is whilst still having full control from the terminal.

The ONLY issue I had was a constant complete system freeze where I had to do a hard shut down every time. I figured out I was on linux kernel 3.2 and promptly upgraded to 3.8, now no more freezing and even better performance. Why they are using 3.2 I don't know...

Elementary OS is based on Ubuntu 12.04, therefore it uses the same kernel.

Vanillalite

On a side note it is great to be on Crunchbang Waldorf. Seeing as that is based on the latest Debian stable I don't have near the bugs or the updates to install. Shit just works!

What are some good reasons to upgrade the kernel? I've been doing a little informal reading and it seems that it just adds extra features or becomes a little more efficient? I've never upgraded a kernel before and it's kind of daunting. Is it worth it if I'm on 3.2?

phoenixyz

What are some good reasons to upgrade the kernel? I've been doing a little informal reading and it seems that it just adds extra features or becomes a little more efficient? I've never upgraded a kernel before and it's kind of daunting. Is it worth it if I'm on 3.2?
If you don't need the new features and performance enhancements (and you are not one those people, who always need to be on the bleeding edge) it's perfectly fine staying on a longterm support Kernel imho, as all (or most?) security patches get backported. Which distribution are you using?

Vanillalite

If you don't need the new features and performance enhancements (and you are not one those people, who always need to be on the bleeding edge) it's perfectly fine staying on a longterm support Kernel imho, as all (or most?) security patches get backported. Which distribution are you using?

This! Most security flaws get backported fixes. Plus for things like Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable the point is to go with an older stable kernel, and just release updates for it. For most people this is completely fine to be honest.

Eventually you'll get the Kernel bump when the distro as a whole bumps to a new version. No need to rush things, and there are things like Debian Testing and Debian Unstable or the current not LTS versions of Ubuntu or Mint to use if you want to be more up to date.

I'm on Crunchbang Waldorf 64 bit (base is Debian Wheezy). You're right in that I don't need the latest features but I'm willing to take the plunge for (1) greater efficiency (2) more knowledge about the platform and OS.

Kernel.org has the latest stable at 3.10 and I keep most of my files on Google Drive. Not worth it?

phoenixyz

I'm on Crunchbang Waldorf 64 bit (base is Debian Wheezy). You're right in that I don't need the latest features but I'm willing to take the plunge for (1) greater efficiency (2) more knowledge about the platform and OS.

Kernel.org has the latest stable at 3.10 and I keep most of my files on Google Drive. Not worth it?

It's not that big a deal as you might think. If it doesn't boot you can restart and select the stock kernel in grub. If you compile the kernel as a package (make deb-pkg) installation is mostly trivial on Debian-based distros.

Anybody using Elementary find that the terminal doesn't always open when you use the keyboard shortcut? On a related note, how do I change the shortcut (I couldn't see it in the preferences anywhere, but I probably just missed something)?

Tacitus_

Are there any distros that play nice with a hybrid machine? Mine's a Samsung Ativ 500T to be precise. I got an itch to try Linux since it's been a while, but I'm not going to install it on my gaming desktop.

Massa

Are there any distros that play nice with a hybrid machine? Mine's a Samsung Ativ 500T to be precise. I got an itch to try Linux since it's been a while, but I'm not going to install it on my gaming desktop.

Fedora is your best bet thanks to the work of Matthew Garrett.

Top Bottom