• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

NotBacon

Anybody using Elementary find that the terminal doesn't always open when you use the keyboard shortcut? On a related note, how do I change the shortcut (I couldn't see it in the preferences anywhere, but I probably just missed something)?

Yeah I've noticed it does that occasionally but then it works again after I've launched a few apps. Same thing happened for me on Linux Mint 15 me thinks.

Tacitus_

Oh sure, I focused more on your "itch to try" part since I know nothing about them hybrids :)

They're really nice! With the keyboard off, you can enjoy just surfing or reading like a tablet, but when it's time for work, pop the keyboard back in and away you go like you were on a 'proper' laptop.

peakish

I'm looking for some way to organise a ton of data for my work. Currently I just have a basic directory structure of year-month/data but what I'd really like is something tag-able so that I can mark either data type, date's, or whatnot. Would there be any ready solutions for that on Linux?

I'm playing with the thought about just touch'ing filenames to create tags and then have a simple script to find folders corresponding to one or several specified tags.

Edit: Heh, I got it. Praise the lords for bash.

Massa

I'm looking for some way to organise a ton of data for my work. Currently I just have a basic directory structure of year-month/data but what I'd really like is something tag-able so that I can mark either data type, date's, or whatnot. Would there be any ready solutions for that on Linux?

I'm playing with the thought about just touch'ing filenames to create tags and then have a simple script to find folders corresponding to one or several specified tags.

Edit: Heh, I got it. Praise the lords for bash.

tracker can tag your files. You can either tag them graphically with the Nautilus file manager or using the tracker-tag utility.

peakish

tracker can tag your files. You can either tag them graphically with the Nautilus file manager or using the tracker-tag utility.
Omg, I love tracker but didn't know the specifics of it having this support, especially the CLI interface and tracker-needle.

Honestly I was a bit proud of my ad-hoc solution :p In the end though I'll pick a well-supported and featured solution above it at all times.

swecide

Banned
Ok I need some help here. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if the installer is broken. I'm trying to install Linux Mint Debian Edition and configure it the same way I have my current set up (Linux Mint 15). So what I want to do is have / on my ssd and /home on my software raid (mdadm). I've migrated this array from various Linux Mint releases (the Ubuntu based ones) before without any trouble (install mdadm, assemble the array, start the GUI installer and you're good to go) but I really want to move away from the Ubuntu base. I'm afraid of losing the data on the array (well not that afraid, I mean it's a raid0, just time consuming to get it back) I'm trying to do this in a virtual environment before I do it for real.

Now the thing about the LMDE installer is that I can't progress past the point of where it tells me to edit the fstab, chroot and so on. I've done all of that but I can't click the "Forward" button. Is it supposed to become click able once all the steps are done (aka I've done something wrong) or is it just glitching out on me?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So Skype 4.1 stopped working, I can't log in. I log in and either it freezes or it just closes and I have to click open the application again.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall it and nothing happens.

I didn't even do anything to it, it just stopped working a few days ago.

Any ideas?

IISANDERII

How common are viruses on Linux? I'm using Ubuntu and I'm getting website redirects to a weird site [mitsubishiconfort.com]. I'm using Firefox and always stay up to date.

Massa

How common are viruses on Linux? I'm using Ubuntu and I'm getting website redirects to a weird site [mitsubishiconfort.com]. I'm using Firefox and always stay up to date.

Not common at all.

Try switching your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (that's from Google). You can do that by editing your connection settings.

IISANDERII

Not common at all.

Try switching your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (that's from Google). You can do that by editing your connection settings.
Thanks. Turns out it was my modem. I had to reset it to factory setting and start again.
Weird that it caused bad redirects, can modems get viruses?

Thanks. Turns out it was my modem. I had to reset it to factory setting and start again.

Sure, if they're Microsoft-branded.

fake edit: Man, I remember the good ol' days, when there was a warning going around not to open a certain email (I think it was with the title "Good Times"), because viewing the message would give your computer a virus!!!!! It was a total hoax, because it was expressly impossible for an email program to get infected just by viewing a message.

A year or two later, this one company made an email program which expressly did that. This program went on to dominate email until web mail really took off. It was a mind-gibberingly stupid thing to do, in both hindsight and foresight. I won't share the name of this company here, because I don't want to embarrass them. I'm sure they're much more responsible with security nowadays.

Massa

It must be possible but I haven't heard of it. Most likely it was some configuration issue routing you to the wrong web site.

Sure, if they're Microsoft-branded.

fake edit: Man, I remember the good ol' days, when there was a warning going around not to open a certain email (I think it was with the title "Good Times"), because viewing the message would give your computer a virus!!!!! It was a total hoax, because it was expressly impossible for an email program to get infected just by viewing a message.

A year or two later, this one company made an email program which expressly did that. This program went on to dominate email until web mail really took off. It was a mind-gibberingly stupid thing to do, in both hindsight and foresight. I won't share the name of this company here, because I don't want to embarrass them. I'm sure they're much more responsible with security nowadays.

People always choose ease of use over security.

Slavik81

I'm a little confused. What's "that" in "which expressly did that."?

ash_ag

Isn't this the official launch? I'm not sure if they were still in beta or not. It's been a while since I used it.
That seems to be the most popular theory, yeah! Luna is very stable at this point and although it still misses some core apps, it will certainly benefit from a commercially stable release in that more people will be inclined to use it, request features, report bugs and so on.

diaspora

I haven't really used linux much due to my dislike of having grub murk my mbr, but now that I've graduated and I have a desktop to do my media work on, I'm going to install crunchbang onto my laptop as my first serious distro. Am I going to have a bad time?

edit- I had elementary for about a year, but its absolute refusal to play nice with my wifi drivers drove me nuts prompting me to restore my mbr (win8) and axe my linux partition...

nan0

I haven't really used linux much due to my dislike of having grub murk my mbr, but now that I've graduated and I have a desktop to do my media work on, I'm going to install crunchbang onto my laptop as my first serious distro. Am I going to have a bad time?

I recently installed Crunchbang on my Thinkpad as well and was pleasantly surprised, since everything worked out-of-the-box, even hibernation (which I find super important and the reason I'm not touching anything *buntu anymore). Their forums are very friendly too, without the usual elitists.

diaspora

Another issue: every cpu for about 20 seconds slowing the entire machine down for the duration of this period where if I have terminal open I can see a bunch of:
Code:
Message from syslogd@crunchbang

Which is your WiFi card?

Code:
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Massa

Another issue: every cpu for about 20 seconds slowing the entire machine down for the duration of this period where if I have terminal open I can see a bunch of:
Code:
Message from syslogd@crunchbang

Code:
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Hum, that's weird.

Does your wireless card work using the Live CD for a Linux distribution with a more recent kernel? Crunchbang is more conservative so it's using kernel 3.2, it's possible that newer versions may have fixed your problem.

zoku88

Hum, that's weird.

Does your wireless card work using the Live CD for a Linux distribution with a more recent kernel? Crunchbang is more conservative so it's using kernel 3.2, it's possible that newer versions may have fixed your problem.
3.2? Isn't that like a year old?

Anyway, I feel like I have an atheros card in one of my computers. I'll check it out when I get home.

Also, I agree with the live CD recommendation.

Wi-Fi problems can also be user land related too, though. What were you using to get connected? I have no clue about crunchbang and what Wi-Fi user land stuff it comes with.

diaspora

Hum, that's weird.

It wasn't working with elementary, I haven't tried it with recent releases of ubuntu/mint.

peakish

It wasn't working with elementary, I haven't tried it with recent releases of ubuntu/mint.
I think Crunchbang is based on Arch Linux. You could try booting their latest installation media, which should run on a recent kernel, from a usb and connect to your wireless using wifi-menu.

http://https://www.archlinux.org/download/
http://https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide#Installation

There's a lot of troubleshooting information here if it doesn't work.
http://https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup

That said, network issues are the worst and I avoid them whenever I can.

Edit: Finally, for the cpu issue. Can you see if any messages appear in the SystemD journal corresponding to them? That's journalctl (or sudo journalctl for more stuff).

hitsugi

I think Crunchbang is based on Arch Linux. You could try booting their latest installation media, which should run on a recent kernel, from a usb and connect to your wireless using wifi-menu.

http://https://www.archlinux.org/download/
http://https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide#Installation

There's a lot of troubleshooting information here if it doesn't work.
http://https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup

That said, network issues are the worst and I avoid them whenever I can.

Edit: Finally, for the cpu issue. Can you see if any messages appear in the SystemD journal corresponding to them? That's journalctl (or sudo journalctl for more stuff).

ArchBang is based on Arch Linux. CrunchBang is based on Debian Testing.

freddy

Banned
I read quite a bit about Linux releases and various problems with them. 3.2 kernel seemed one of the more problematic releases for certain hardware and configurations.

So I have a laptop with a clean install of W'indows 8 Professional. It came stock with an OEM copy of W8 from Asus.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to dual boot Ubuntu 13.4. I've dual booted on my W7 machine.

What's up? It used to just give you the option to use both OS's. Trying to install using a live disc.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Started Linux class at my trade school last Wednesday. Its for the Linux+ cert but the instructor says the point of the class is for us to simply learn so the curriculum wont be focused around passing a test.

Never used linux in my life, we will be installing open suse and later taking a look at red hat. Are those good distros to learn linux? The instructor said ubuntu was too easy and wants us to do lots of command line stuff if we can.

I'm installing Elementary OS on Virtualbox. It's beautiful.

Edit: I love it and I think I'd enjoy it very much but I have no use for Linux so I'm not gonna dual-boot it. I'm sticking with Windows 8.

swecide

Banned
The instructor said ubuntu was too easy and wants us to do lots of command line stuff if we can.

Ubuntu is as easy or hard as you want it to be. Most of the time shit just works out of the box without much user interaction (a lot like Windows). Now if you want to learn things this might not be your best option. However the "command line stuff" is very similar regardless of your distro, there might be a file or two stored in a different default location or they use different software for accomplishing the same tasks but the basics are universal.

I meant 'I'm NOT gonna dual-boot it'.

I use Linux at work and I used to need it for the university but, at home, all my needs are covered by Windows (especially gaming).

Top Bottom