• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

hitsugi

Even Google and Valve use Ubuntu. Why would you need something more complicated?

Google uses Debian now.

The thing about Ubuntu and the reason people would suggest against it in order to "learn" Linux is because there is more or less no reason at all to use the command line with it. Everything works so well out of the box that you don't have to configure or really.. do anything with it.

Now, COULD you use the command line with ubuntu? Sure. It uses a great package manager as well.

After doing a few myself, I always recommend someone go ahead and do a Debian net install or get an Arch / Slack / Gentoo box up and running. Then go ahead and use whatever you want.

Young Magus

I'm trying to connect my ipod to my computer (running Linux Mint 15) and it shows up in the computer section. Problem is that it can not be mounted nor ejected. It does not show up in Banshee and I can't read anything from it. Any way to fix this?

LaneDS

Figuring out how to get an external hard drive's LVM mounted today was a fun little learning experience.

Anyone have advice on tracking issues with ypbind? Having intermittent time out issues with one workstation that is in turn slowing other processes down tremendously (sometimes) and I believe it's a temporary ypbind hiccup, but can't necessarily prove it yet.

NotBacon

Okay is this supposed to be happening? gnome-settings- has been using 100% cpu for a while now, I was wondering why my fan wouldn't turn off.

jbhBKQRBX3faUo.png

NotBacon

I couldn't kill it, and I'm not using Gnome, so I just rebooted :/

EDIT: After a google it seems this is a known bug and I found one fix, I'll just have to wait for it to happen again

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LinuxGAF, help me choose.

b50293ad-f360aae586be5599b05c5de5.png

System76 Sable Complete - $1148
- 21.5" 1080p non-touchscreen
- Intel Core i7, 3.1 GHz CPU
- Intel HD 4000 GPU
- 500 GB HDD
- 16 GB DDR3 RAM
- 6x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, 1x SD
- 1.3mp webcam

desktop-inspiron-2330-mag-965-features-module-2.jpg

Dell Inspiron One 23 - $1100
- 23" 1080p touchscreen
- Intel Core i5, 3.2 GHz CPU
- AMD Radeon HD 7650 (1GB DDR3) GPU
- 1 TB HDD
- 8 GB DDR3 RAM
- 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI
- "HD" webcam
+ CD/DVD Tray, Mouse, Keyboard

I like the Dell's design more, but I don't care that it forces you to have a CD/DVD tray. Also, you can't get an SSD for the Dell while it's an option on the Sable (although it drives the price up by a couple hundred for any decent amount.)

The System76 has higher spec options for CPU and RAM, which I really dig. And the PPI is better since it's a slightly smaller screen. And well, it's S76, meaning Ubuntu works flawlessly out of the box (although I'll be wiping and installing Gnome Remix first thing, it should all Just Work™.) The Dell has one more higher tier, at $1300, which includes an i7 but is still locked at 8 GB of RAM, which is pretty lame. In fact, aside from the i7 it's pretty much the same as the $1100 model I've listed. $200 for a CPU bump? No thanks...

The Dell is a better option for gaming with an actual graphics card, although I've decided to finally ditch Windows completely at home and go Linux full-time (after using it on my S76 work laptop for over a year now.) Which isn't even so bad for gaming, I actually have something of a Steam-Linux backlog now, and for those games I'm sure either one would be more than enough (they're either indie games or old ones, like Braid, Psychonauts and HL2.) Dolphin is cross-platform, too.

What I really wish the Dell didn't have is a touchscreen. There are non-touch models, but the CPU and RAM options are even worse for those (dropping down to a generic "Pentium" and maxing out at 4 GB.)

It's true that the Sable is more barebones by default, with built-in Wi-Fi, and keyboard/mouse being "optional," but at the high end it just seems like a better buy. Core i7 + 16 GB RAM? Yes please.

I think I'm going to go with the Sable. If anyone wants to chime in before I trigger though, I implore you to do so.

(No matter what, I'm getting an all-in-one, even though I know that most techies hate them. Either one of these will be more than powerful enough for me to use for years to come -- I'm still using my current desktop PC fine, even though it has barely 3 GB of RAM and a Core Duo CPU. Hey, I got it in 2007!)

peakish

Some googling gives that the Sable has user upgradeable RAM and HDD at least. I'd smack an SSD in it. On the other hand, I know Dell hasthe ability to create good screens and 23" is better than 21.5" (although I know nothing about the quality in this one, or how it compares to the Sable).

Then again if I was looking for an AIO I'd get one of those small VESA-mountable cases and a good >=27" screen to get it onto. Would probably end up more expensive though lol.

Edit: More googling reveals that the Dell also has user replaceable parts (with some work). I dunno. If it wasn't for the slightly bigger screen I'd def go for the system76.

Running Elementary OS 64bit on my PC.

I'm new to Linux and have a few questions about how to perform some pretty basic tasks and what applications are best to perform those tasks.

First and foremost I want to know the best program to decrypt/rip DVD's and the best program to compress them. I'm used to using DVD Decrypt and Handbrake in Windows. Are there any other programs of similar quality for Linux?

Second, what about for CDs? Want to rip CDs into MP3/FLAC.

Third, what about music playback? I see VLC is here so that covers me for video but what about for playing audio. Is the stock Elementary application any good or should I venture elsewhere?

peakish

Running Elementary OS 64bit on my PC.

I'm new to Linux and have a few questions about how to perform some pretty basic tasks and what applications are best to perform those tasks.

First and foremost I want to know the best program to decrypt/rip DVD's and the best program to compress them. I'm used to using DVD Decrypt and Handbrake in Windows. Are there any other programs of similar quality for Linux?

Second, what about for CDs? Want to rip CDs into MP3/FLAC.

Third, what about music playback? I see VLC is here so that covers me for video but what about for playing audio. Is the stock Elementary application any good or should I venture elsewhere?
To rip CD's I've just used whatever, as long as the interface is simple and you can select output format plus quality. I think Sound Juicer is the one I've used.

For playback, do you have any specific requirements that the Elementary player doesn't fulfil? Besides Spotify I use Audacious for local files, it has a small and simple interface and all right integration with GTK themes. Also includes basic library support, although I'd prefer the search to be more Gnome 3 style than it is.

If you want something more full featured, there are huge programs like Banshee, Clementine or Songbird that are built around libraries and fetches tons of information for you. Of those three I preferred Banshee back when I was looking for that, it just had a tiny edge in polish and default skin for me (I dislike any window chrome not part of the desktop theming, DIAF Steam/Spotify)

http://audacious-media-player.org/
http://banshee.fm/
http://www.clementine-player.org/
http://www.getsongbird.com/

What about installing Flash? I want to be able to watch flash based content but when I navigate to the flash page it gives me the option to download three files that, when I click them, opens their contents as opposed to installing.

peakish

What about installing Flash? I want to be able to watch flash based content but when I navigate to the flash page it gives me the option to download three files that, when I click them, opens their contents as opposed to installing.
Search for 'flashplugin' or just 'flash' in the Software Center, IIRC it should be installable from there.

This is due to different Linux distributions using different package (or install) managers, all of which use different formats. Elementary is based on Ubuntu and thus directly reads .deb installation files, another common is .rpm, used by YUM (Fedora, OpenSUSE, ...).

The neutral option for packages is a tarball (.tar.gz or variants) which is just a collection of installation files and/or source code. If you opened a file like that there should be a file called INSTALL containing installation instructions, to be fed through a command line. Whenever possible I'd recommend using the Software Center though - makes for easy install, uninstall, and updates.

peakish

:/

It's been applying changes for the last half hour or so.

This isn't exactly what I'd call intuitive...
I think the idea (to try a new app, just search and install directly from one center) is very intuitive, hence why it has become the standard method for most modern devices. That's of course useless if the crap doesn't work :p

Reboot and try again. If it still doesn't work I'd be interested in knowing where it hangs, so open up a terminal and try from there:
Code:
sudo apt-get update # Updates the list of available packages
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer # Installs flash

Does anyone know a good alternative to file-roller except for peazip or at least how I can change the compression level in file-roller? I read that I should use gconf-editor but I don't see apps\file-roller in that list? On one side you can fine tune everything but in the compression app leaving out the options to set a compression level so beginners are not confused is somehow stupid.

I use 64Bit version of LMDE. Peazip would be great but no matter what I try I always get "Warning non-fatal error: some files missing or locked". Well that text document is still there and not in use.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LinuxGAF, help me choose.

b50293ad-f360aae586be5599b05c5de5.png

System76 Sable Complete - $1148
- 21.5" 1080p non-touchscreen
- Intel Core i7, 3.1 GHz CPU
- Intel HD 4000 GPU
- 500 GB HDD
- 16 GB DDR3 RAM
- 6x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, 1x SD
- 1.3mp webcam

desktop-inspiron-2330-mag-965-features-module-2.jpg

Dell Inspiron One 23 - $1100
- 23" 1080p touchscreen
- Intel Core i5, 3.2 GHz CPU
- AMD Radeon HD 7650 (1GB DDR3) GPU
- 1 TB HDD
- 8 GB DDR3 RAM
- 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI
- "HD" webcam
+ CD/DVD Tray, Mouse, Keyboard

I like the Dell's design more, but I don't care that it forces you to have a CD/DVD tray. Also, you can't get an SSD for the Dell while it's an option on the Sable (although it drives the price up by a couple hundred for any decent amount.)

The System76 has higher spec options for CPU and RAM, which I really dig. And the PPI is better since it's a slightly smaller screen. And well, it's S76, meaning Ubuntu works flawlessly out of the box (although I'll be wiping and installing Gnome Remix first thing, it should all Just Work™.) The Dell has one more higher tier, at $1300, which includes an i7 but is still locked at 8 GB of RAM, which is pretty lame. In fact, aside from the i7 it's pretty much the same as the $1100 model I've listed. $200 for a CPU bump? No thanks...

The Dell is a better option for gaming with an actual graphics card, although I've decided to finally ditch Windows completely at home and go Linux full-time (after using it on my S76 work laptop for over a year now.) Which isn't even so bad for gaming, I actually have something of a Steam-Linux backlog now, and for those games I'm sure either one would be more than enough (they're either indie games or old ones, like Braid, Psychonauts and HL2.) Dolphin is cross-platform, too.

What I really wish the Dell didn't have is a touchscreen. There are non-touch models, but the CPU and RAM options are even worse for those (dropping down to a generic "Pentium" and maxing out at 4 GB.)

It's true that the Sable is more barebones by default, with built-in Wi-Fi, and keyboard/mouse being "optional," but at the high end it just seems like a better buy. Core i7 + 16 GB RAM? Yes please.

I think I'm going to go with the Sable. If anyone wants to chime in before I trigger though, I implore you to do so.

(No matter what, I'm getting an all-in-one, even though I know that most techies hate them. Either one of these will be more than powerful enough for me to use for years to come -- I'm still using my current desktop PC fine, even though it has barely 3 GB of RAM and a Core Duo CPU. Hey, I got it in 2007!)

Neither. Wait until System 76 comes out with a haswell model.

Andrex I don't know why you would want something that has an AMD GPU in it for Linux. My 7950 on Windows is pretty borked from drivers so I can only imagine the headache that would result on the Linux side.

Massa

While Intel is definitely the way to go, as of kernel 3.11 I'm really happy with AMD on Linux. Power saving and video acceleration are both supported with the open source drivers, and performance has been dramatically improved.

While Intel is definitely the way to go, as of kernel 3.11 I'm really happy with AMD on Linux. Power saving and video acceleration are both supported with the open source drivers, and performance has been dramatically improved.

Does your audio skip every couple of seconds? AMD's driver for Windows skips audio regardless of what's going on if it's not a 3D application. It's been an annoying bug it work out...

phoenixyz

as of kernel 3.11 I'm really happy with AMD on Linux.
For some reason my notebook does not boot with 3.10 oder 3.11. It just freezes after displaying the "loading initial ramdisk" message. Sadly thats not very helpful when it comes to finding out what is causing the problem.

Massa

The first beta for GNOME 3.10 is out, some nifty changes ahead. Looks like Wayland is coming along quite nicely too.

For some reason my notebook does not boot with 3.10 oder 3.11. It just freezes after displaying the "loading initial ramdisk" message. Sadly thats not very helpful when it comes to finding out what is causing the problem.

I think I read something about some RAID issues with 3.10.

zoku88

Well, I am not using RAID. Is there some boot parameter to make the kernel write debug logs to /boot?

Not sure about this specific question, but I have some questions for you:

1) What is your partition setup? Like, are /usr and / different partitions? I believe that can cause initram problems.

2) Have you tried booting without an initram?

phoenixyz

Not sure about this specific question, but I have some questions for you:

1) What is your partition setup? Like, are /usr and / different partitions? I believe that can cause initram problems.

2) Have you tried booting without an initram?

1) Besides /boot I have a / partition, a /home partition and a swap partition. All of them (except boot of course) are encrypted (LUKS/dm-crypt). 2) That's why I need an initram :/

Tried Luna 2.0. Didn't care for it. Much happier with Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Is there a way to map functions to mouse buttons? I want the middle click to enable mouse scrolling. Like... the little arrow and when you move the mouse up and down the page scrolls.

linkboy

I've been wanting to give Linux a shot for a while now and I just decided to say fuck it and go all in.

Went with Mint and I've got everything working except for my audio. It works with something plugged into the headphone jack, but not without it.

So far, I'm loving it. I've been using OSX/Windows and it's a breath of fresh air to actually sit down and learn something new.

A neighbor was about to throw out an old P4 desktop. I took it for something to play with. I have lubuntu up and running on it. ...and running faster than I expected...

Loving the newest Elementary OS.

Problem, though: on video sites such as Youtube, the sound plays, but no video is displayed. Is this a known issue?

Madtown_

Problem, though: on video sites such as Youtube, the sound plays, but no video is displayed. Is this a known issue?

This soudns like an issue with your computer/software more than a general elementary issue. I put elementary in a VM last night and sound and video worked just fine.

Massa

Can you play videos that have been downloaded to your computer? What web browser are you using? If you right click the video, does the submenu show HTML5 or Flash options?

Ok, so I'm trying Linux on my old AMD laptop again. I downloaded the drivers from AMD, but I'm not sure which to use as there are four in tha pack. Here's a quote from the readme... I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with a Turion64 X2. Ubuntu is running slow as hell and says the CPUs are constantly maxxed out.... but Ubuntu is running just fine on a MUCH weaker laptop next to it.

This tar file contains the Linux CPU frequency driver
for AMD Athlon64 / Opteron processors.

The driver obtains data as to supported frequencies
and voltages for the processor from the BIOS.

Version 1.00.xx of the driver uses a BIOS table called
the PSB, which is not supported by all BIOSs. Included
driver versions are:
1.00.09 - versions of the driver for both 2.4 and 2.6
kernels. The driver is dependent on the
cpufreq driver, which is available as a patch
for 2.4 kernels, and is built into 2.6 kernels.
1.00.12 - the latest version of the driver, for 2.6
only, that includes sample code to hardcode a
PSB table to bypass BIOSs that do not offer
the support.

Version 1.39.xx of the driver can use either the
PSB table or ACPI objects, dependent on whether
the kernel is configured to include ACPI support or
not. The driver version included is 1.39.04, for
the 2.6 kernel only. This driver supports SMP
frequency management and dual-core processors. It
will not load on an SMP or dual-core system unless
the ACPI objects are available. It will work on
all 2.6 kernels, but the 1.50.03 driver (below)
is preferred for kernels 2.6.10 and later.

Version 1.60.xx of the driver can use either the
PSB table of the ACPI objects. It supports Opteron,
Athlon 64 processors, in both single and dual core
versions, for all of the 754, 939, 940, and 1207
pin packages. This driver supports SMP frequency
management but will not work on SMP or dual core
systems unless the ACPI powerstate objects are
available. It will only work on 2.6.10 and later
kernels. This driver is distributed with the
2.6.13 and later kernels.

The powernow-k8.c and powernow-k8.h files should be
placed in the arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq directory.
The kernel will then need to be rebuilt and the system
rebooted. Builds of the 64-bit arch/x86_64 kernel use
the same source files.

Massa

Ok, so I'm trying Linux on my old AMD laptop again. I downloaded the drivers from AMD, but I'm not sure which to use as there are four in tha pack. Here's a quote from the readme... I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with a Turion64 X2. Ubuntu is running slow as hell and says the CPUs are constantly maxxed out.... but Ubuntu is running just fine on a MUCH weaker laptop next to it.

Don't download drivers from AMD, get them from Ubuntu itself. There should be an application called "Restricted drivers" that allows you to easily install them.

Don't download drivers from AMD, get them from Ubuntu itself. There should be an application called "Restricted drivers" that allows you to easily install them.

I ran the "additional drivers" program,,, It says "No proprietary drivers in use on this system." and gives me no option to download any. The last time i tried to put Ubuntu on this PC it did say there were additional drivers but always froze while trying to install them.

freddy

Banned
I ran the "additional drivers" program,,, It says "No proprietary drivers in use on this system." and gives me no option to download any. The last time i tried to put Ubuntu on this PC it did say there were additional drivers but always froze while trying to install them.

Kernels from around that release period just don't play nice with some hardware. Keep that in mind before you give up on Linux for that machine.

So.....I think Crunchbang may have deleted my BIOS. I installed it in March and always thought it was weird that my keyboard wouldn't work on the grub screen but now I've been trying to use the Toshiba supplied keys for BIOS access and nothing is happening. Is there a way to reinstall it in Linux? Toshiba has a BIOS for download but it requires Windows I believe.

Top Bottom