• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Duster

I installed Mint 17 on my old desktop, all went well.
I tried installing alongside Windows 7 and Mint 16 (which I was going to delete once I knew 17 was OK) on my laptop and it's doesn't appear on the grub boot menu thing at the start.
However looking at the partitions menu it seems to be there just without an option to load it.

Anybody know what do I do to fix it?
Or how to delete unwanted partitions when it comes to that?

I installed Mint 17 on my old desktop, all went well.
I tried installing alongside Windows 7 and Mint 16 (which I was going to delete once I knew 17 was OK) on my laptop and it's doesn't appear on the grub boot menu thing at the start.
However looking at the partitions menu it seems to be there just without an option to load it.

Anybody know what do I do to fix it?
Or how to delete unwanted partitions when it comes to that?

Have you configured GRUB after installing Windows so it knows that is a bootable partition? Are your Linux and Windows partitions both using UEFI or MBR?

I've got a PC running Mint, and I'm having some trouble with the printer, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm guessing it is driver related and I can do nothing, but you never know. I'm using a Samsung ML-1865 laser printer. It installs and is working with CUPS. However the problem is that I can't print more than one thing thing in a row. If I turn on the printer, I can print whatever document I want, it doesn't matter how large or small, and it works no problem.

However if I then try and print something else, anything else, the light on the printer flashes like it is receiving data and then does nothing. The workaround I use is to simply turn the print off, then back on, then I can print another document.

I don't print very much so this isn't a huge deal, but still an annoying problem that I would like to fix if I can.

Xisiqomelir

I'm trying out CentOS 7 too, and the MATE packages work great.

Some of the stuff I've been used to in Arch/Debian land isn't even at Repoforge though (Clementine, mcomix, mpv, compiz) so it's compiling time!

Hey there.
Does anyone know what's up with K/Ubuntu's Nvidia official proprietary drivers?
I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 X64 and have been stuck on the 331.38 drivers (released in January). When I was using openSUSE vga drivers were rolled out through the update centre almost as soon as they were released by nVidia.
I have added the following repository:
https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia
but looking at the additional drivers list, the newer drivers (340.xx) are all open source and those genereally don't work as well as proprietary drivers.
Does anyone know how I can safely upgrade my nvidia drivers without breaking anything?
Everything is working fine as is, but there are a few features which the latest nvidia drivers have added which I wouldn't mind having.

Milchmann

The drivers in the repository are proprietary ones. The open source drivers are called Nouveau and have a totally different version number (currently 1.0.10).

The drivers in the repository are proprietary ones. The open source drivers are called Nouveau and have a totally different version number (currently 1.0.10).

Excellent. Thanks.
Just one more question if I may.

U97A5kn.png

If I select the 1st or 2nd option from that list and Apply Changes, will anything go wrong?
Do I need to uninstall the driver that is currently in use?

Gallbaro

Banned
Excellent. Thanks.
Just one more question if I may.

U97A5kn.png

If I select the 1st or 2nd option from that list and Apply Changes, will anything go wrong?
Do I need to uninstall the driver that is currently in use?

I have done this before in CLI on a archlinux installation. I uninstalled the driver, installed nouveau, and restarted. xorg did not like the migration without a reboot.

I have done this before in CLI on a archlinux installation. I uninstalled the driver, installed nouveau, and restarted. xorg did not like the migration without a reboot.

I have updated graphic drivers on Ubuntu before, but I was using ATI and this was over a year ago and it broke the gui. I spent ages trying to fix it. I might experiment with clonezilla on the weekend and make a backup of my system then see if I can easily upgrade my vga drivers. If something breaks. Restore.

I'm getting close to my monthly Arch maintenance time and I want to get a head start on something before I even start digging.

When I start the system, I'll intermittently get an error saying it couldn't validate accounts and passwords (check systemctl shadow.service). However, it boots and runs just fine. Using 'systemctl status shadow' it always shows certain groups like avahi, colord, gdm, mysql as not existing.

The strange part is that it's not limited to just after system updates. Sometimes I update and the error never shows, sometimes it does. Sometimes it's three boots after an update, sometimes it's three after I've fixed the problem (by reinstalling the packages).

You guys have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Philippo

Guys i'd need your help, i'm running PeppermintOS on my crappy Aspire One A0751h and it works but i have some troubles, mostly with Flash and videos playback: all of YT videos struggle to run at 360p in Small-Size mode (so not even full screen), while downloaded videos badly lags with every player the moment i go fullscreen. I know this netbook isn't the ideal for watching videos but i can't believe this is the standard situation, there must be some problems here, maybe driver related?
Note that i'm a total noob with linux so i really don't know where to put my hands.

Help me!

Guys i'd need your help, i'm running PeppermintOS on my crappy Aspire One A0751h and it works but i have some troubles, mostly with Flash and videos playback: all of YT videos struggle to run at 360p in Small-Size mode (so not even full screen), while downloaded videos badly lags with every player the moment i go fullscreen. I know this netbook isn't the ideal for watching videos but i can't believe this is the standard situation, there must be some problems here, maybe driver related?
Note that i'm a total noob with linux so i really don't know where to put my hands.

Help me!

Hey Philippo! Sorry it took a day to respond. Have you ever installed drivers for your laptop or are you using the VESA drivers? Do you have MESA installed? This is Intel's graphics driver.

Philippo

Hey Philippo! Sorry it took a day to respond. Have you ever installed drivers for your laptop or are you using the VESA drivers? Do you have MESA installed? This is Intel's graphics driver.

Oh god i forgot to check this thread until now, sorry!
Anyway, no i never installed drivers by myself since i installed Peppermint so i guess no VESA, how do i check? And no i didn't installed MESA, should i?

Please note that i've got 0 knowledge with these things, so i'll probably need a lot of handholding ahahah.

Edit: Gave a look at MESA's website and that lead me to the Linux Graphic Installer page, tried to install it but it looks like my version (13.04) is not supported. Luckily Peppermint 5 came out last week, should i try to upgrade and then install the Graphic Installer? How do i upgrade my OS without losing all of my datas?

Oh god i forgot to check this thread until now, sorry!
Anyway, no i never installed drivers by myself since i installed Peppermint so i guess no VESA, how do i check? And no i didn't installed MESA, should i?

Please note that i've got 0 knowledge with these things, so i'll probably need a lot of handholding ahahah.

Edit: Gave a look at MESA's website and that lead me to the Linux Graphic Installer page, tried to install it but it looks like my version (13.04) is not supported. Luckily Peppermint 5 came out last week, should i try to upgrade and then install the Graphic Installer? How do i upgrade my OS without losing all of my datas?

Ok, this is going to fun lol.

Yes, you should upgrade for two reasons:
(1) Peppermint 5 is based on 14.04 which is an LTS release. Even if you never upgrade to Peppermint 6 you'll be golden because your release will still be receiving patches. The one you are currently on has already had its support dropped.
(2) Intel itself is no longer supplying graphics drivers for your version (as you found out). An LTS release guarantees they'll be supporting it for quite some time.

The bad news is there's no easy way to upgrade and save your data. It requires you backing up whatever you have and putting it back on once you've installed your new Peppermint release. Sorry :/

Once that has been done, you should install the Intel Graphics Installer. Since you said you have "0 knowledge of these things," I'm assuming you are not familiar with how to install .deb files. Well, it's simple. Open a terminal, enter "cd Downloads", and then "sudo dpkg -i intel-package-file-name". You can use "ls" after the first terminal command to find out the name of the package if you don't know it beforehand.

Once that's done, you should be able to find the program in whatever program folder you have. From there, install your drivers and see if your movies work again.

this_guy

Why are people installing a server OS Like Cent to use as a regular use with Gnome?

Centos can be used as a desktop and is supported for 10 years with security fixes. If all you do is browse the web it's nice not having to worry about upgrading the os every few years.

phoenixyz

I have a Ubuntu Server headless install in a VM on my Windows machine to be able to quickly do Linux stuff. Now I want to replace this one with Arch but for some reason it takes ages to boot (compared to the Ubuntu VM). What's the best way to find out what's wrong?

LaneDS

I have a Ubuntu Server headless install in a VM on my Windows machine to be able to quickly do Linux stuff. Now I want to replace this one with Arch but for some reason it takes ages to boot (compared to the Ubuntu VM). What's the best way to find out what's wrong?

When I hear "takes ages to startup" my mind usually goes to "DNS problem". When it boots up, can you see if a particular service (or services) is taking a long time? Try a different run level to see if it boots faster, or with certain services disabled with chkconfig or the Arch equivalent.

Shots in the dark, but maybe that'll help you.

Philippo

Ok, this is going to fun lol.

Yes, you should upgrade for two reasons:
(1) Peppermint 5 is based on 14.04 which is an LTS release. Even if you never upgrade to Peppermint 6 you'll be golden because your release will still be receiving patches. The one you are currently on has already had its support dropped.
(2) Intel itself is no longer supplying graphics drivers for your version (as you found out). An LTS release guarantees they'll be supporting it for quite some time.

The bad news is there's no easy way to upgrade and save your data. It requires you backing up whatever you have and putting it back on once you've installed your new Peppermint release. Sorry :/

Once that has been done, you should install the Intel Graphics Installer. Since you said you have "0 knowledge of these things," I'm assuming you are not familiar with how to install .deb files. Well, it's simple. Open a terminal, enter "cd Downloads", and then "sudo dpkg -i intel-package-file-name". You can use "ls" after the first terminal command to find out the name of the package if you don't know it beforehand.

Once that's done, you should be able to find the program in whatever program folder you have. From there, install your drivers and see if your movies work again.

Alright, i'll find a friend with an external HDD and then let you know how it goes!

phoenixyz

When I hear "takes ages to startup" my mind usually goes to "DNS problem". When it boots up, can you see if a particular service (or services) is taking a long time? Try a different run level to see if it boots faster, or with certain services disabled with chkconfig or the Arch equivalent.

Shots in the dark, but maybe that'll help you.

There aren't really any services running. DHCP, NTP, SSH, that's pretty much it.

The biggest gaps in dmesg are:

Code:
[    1.074145] ACPI: Interpreter enabled
[    1.074152] ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, While evaluating Sleep State [\_S2_] (20140424/hwxface-580)
[    1.074154] ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, While evaluating Sleep State [\_S3_] (20140424/hwxface-580)
[    1.074159] ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
[    1.074160] ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
[    1.074209] PCI: Using host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use "pci=nocrs" and report a bug
[   13.600451] ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (domain 0000 [bus 00-7f])
[   13.600456] acpi PNP0A03:00: _OSC: OS supports [ExtendedConfig ASPM ClockPM Segments MSI]
[   13.600572] acpi PNP0A03:00: _OSC: platform does not support [AER]
[   13.600691] acpi PNP0A03:00: _OSC: OS now controls [PCIeHotplug PME PCIeCapability]
[   20.062289] system 00:09: [io  0xfce0-0xfcff] has been reserved
[   20.062291] system 00:09: [mem 0xf0000000-0xf7ffffff] has been reserved
[   20.062292] system 00:09: [mem 0xfe800000-0xfe9fffff] has been reserved
[   20.062294] system 00:09: Plug and Play ACPI device, IDs PNP0c02 (active)
[   40.498617] pnp: PnP ACPI: found 10 devices
[   40.498622] ACPI: bus type PNP unregistered

phoenixyz

^ That is with arch?

Have you tried

Code:
systemd-analyze blame
?

Might help if the problem is with userland.

Yep with Arch.
Code:
Startup finished in 41.163s (kernel) + 8.380s (userspace) = 49.543s
3.825s man-db.service
3.283s ntpd.service
2.425s logrotate.service
1.259s systemd-vconsole-setup.service
 970ms systemd-logind.service
 790ms dhcpcd.service
 454ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
So the problem seems to be in the Kernel/initfs.

Philippo

So in the search for improving the media reproduction on my laptop, i finally installed PeppermintOs 5, but i'm already encountering some problems: i tried to use Intel graphic Installer, as suggested by another user, but i got "You don’t seem to have an Intel i915 chipset so no updates are needed" and "Checking if Intel graphics card available... Failed", what can i do about it?

Anything else i could do to improve my movie/flash reproduction quality?

Also, why does each of my media app acts weird? VLC is literally unwatchable, while the default Media Player goes at least 2x fast without me doing anything. How can i fix them?

edit: wth i tried to watch an anime on streaming and the audio was all over the place there too, what could it possibly be?

I'm a bit of a newb, so I'm in a bit of an issue that I don't know how to solve.

I have a Raspberry Pi B+, and need to run either Openelec or Raspbmc to build my Ambilight clone using Hyperion. I have a video grabber with an STK1160 chipset and I just ordered another which will hopefully have a USBTV007 chipset.

These two chipsets used to be supported in the kernels until 3.11+. I've read that some people have figured out how to compile what they need from the 3.10 kernel into 3.12, but that stuff is way over my head.

Basically, when I plug in either USB grabber, I should see /dev/video0, but of course it doesn't show up because it's missing the driver.

I'm sure this isn't a lot of information, and it super niche and specific. Should I just wait for more people to have this issue and for someone to fix it?

Resources:
Hyperion: https://github.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/wiki
Easycap/Grabber: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap
Github issue: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/660

phoenixyz

It's kinda stupid that you have to fake your User-Agent. Other distributions (including Ubuntu 14.10 Beta) probably already have the version of NSS required.

injurai

Banned
Yikes, the popular linux audio players are shit. Clementine, Amarok, Banshee, RhythmBox... attrocious.

I've really made the switch to using linux as my daily driver as opposed to just doing my school work on. Coming from windows Foobar2000 and MusicBee were my favorites, especially the later.

deadbeef
quod libet
quayadeque

These all seem really awesome. Deadbeef obviously needs some plugins to be usuable, but it feels like the foobar of linux. The later two I'm preferring right now, any thoughts on them?

phoenixyz

I stumbled over the solution: The kernel chokes on the memory-hot-add feature of VMware. Changing mem.hotadd = "TRUE" to "FALSE" (in the .vmx file of the VM) fixes it.

This has been spreading like wildfire all day but in case you haven't heard about it.
CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash

Patch your shit!
Thanks for the heads-up.

Prez

This is the most recent Linux thread I could find so I'll ask here. I'm considering switching to Ubuntu for my new desktop. I've never used Ubuntu before and I'm a bit scared that it's gonna be hard to figure out, so I have some questions:

1. Is there a big learning curve to using Ubuntu?
2. I'm not going to do much more than browsing and playing/ripping music. The set-up I have in mind is an AMD Sempron 3850 1.3Ghz quadcore CPU and 2GB RAM. How smooth will Ubuntu be on this?
3. How does Spotify run on Ubuntu?
4. Is it easy to install an external DVD drive?

Dicer

Banned
This is the most recent Linux thread I could find so I'll ask here. I'm considering switching to Ubuntu for my new desktop. I've never used Ubuntu before and I'm a bit scared that it's gonna be hard to figure out, so I have some questions:

1. Is there a big learning curve to using Ubuntu?
2. I'm not going to do much more than browsing and playing/ripping music. The set-up I have in mind is an AMD Sempron 3850 1.3Ghz quadcore CPU and 2GB RAM. How smooth will Ubuntu be on this?
3. How does Spotify run on Ubuntu?
4. Is it easy to install an external DVD drive?

1. There is just a slight learning curve these days 95% of what you'll do is gui, the other 5% is well documented and someone will be able to help you out...

2. You'll probably want to run a Lightweight variant rather than using stock w/Unity look around see what desktop appeal to you, I recommend Cinnamon or MATE, coming from Windows world those will be very comfortable to ease into.

3. Spotify runs perfectly

4. Plug and play

Prez

1. There is just a slight learning curve these days 95% of what you'll do is gui, the other 5% is well documented and someone will be able to help you out...

2. You'll probably want to run a Lightweight variant rather than using stock w/Unity look around see what desktop appeal to you, I recommend Cinnamon or MATE, coming from Windows world those will be very comfortable to ease into.

3. Spotify runs perfectly

4. Plug and play

Thanks. I'd prefer to use Ubuntu, would that be manageable if I go with a slightly better CPU and/or RAM? I'm thinking AMD 5150 1.6Ghz quadcore and 4GB RAM. If I'm fine with only 2GB RAM for what I need, I'd rather stick to that though.

Maybe even add an SSD.

Dicer

Banned
Thanks. I'd prefer to use Ubuntu, would that be manageable if I go with a slightly better CPU and/or RAM? I'm thinking AMD 5150 1.6Ghz quadcore and 4GB RAM. If I'm fine with only 2GB RAM for what I need, I'd rather stick to that though.

Maybe even add an SSD.

Straight Ubuntu will work, I'm just not sure on performance, but Unity...I mean give it a go and see if you like it...I've always went with another WM.

Prez

Straight Ubuntu will work, I'm just not sure on performance, but Unity...I mean give it a go and see if you like it...I've always went with another WM.

What's WM? I know that Windows 8 is pretty smooth on the AMD 5150, so Ubuntu should be as well, right?

Does 2 vs 4GB RAM really make a big difference for simple browsing and music in Ubuntu?

What I really like about this idea is that I can get a set-up that smooth, dead quiet and extremely power efficient (<30W) for less than €200, including an SSD.

Dicer

Banned
What's WM? I know that Windows 8 is pretty smooth on the AMD 5150, so Ubuntu should be as well, right?

Does 2 vs 4GB RAM really make a big difference for simple browsing and music in Ubuntu?

What I really like about this idea is that I can get a set-up that smooth, dead quiet and extremely power efficient (<30W) for less than €200, including an SSD.

WM=Window Manager Unity/Gnome/MATE and so on....some run with MUCH less resources leaving you more overhead for actual applications...

if you are really doing the bare bones, 2gb should be fine...

Prez

WM=Window Manager Unity/Gnome/MATE and so on....some run with MUCH less resources leaving you more overhead for actual applications...

if you are really doing the bare bones, 2gb should be fine...

So 4GB would be much better? It's only €15 more so I don't mind. Another €10 extra would get me an AMD 5850 2.05Ghz quadcore. It should run silky smooth then, right?

Dicer

Banned
So 4GB would be much better? It's only €15 more so I don't mind. Another €10 extra would get me an AMD 5850 2.05Ghz quadcore. It should run silky smooth then, right?

More ram is NEVER a bad idea...and yeah you should be fine with those specs, again you aren't doing fancy video editing or 3D rendering or anything crazy...If you have steam, you'll probably be able to run a lot of the indie stuff too assuming that you are into that sort of thing, lol...

When you burn a DVD or use the USB install you'll have the option to test drive as well, always nice to put around and make sure you like the feel of it before you commit...just be aware that performance is much worse than running it on the system, it's just for getting a feel

ricki42

WM is the window manager. You can have different window managers / desktop environments with the same distro. I'm using Fedora with Xfce on my laptop, and Xubuntu (that is Ubuntu with Xfce) on my PC. Default Ubuntu comes with Unity, which is more demanding. Xfce is more lightweight. Lxde is another one that is very light, but also has fewer customization options. KDE has more features, but is again bigger. I would recommend just downloading the LiveCD .iso for a few desktops and use a USB thumbdrive to just test them. That way, you can see what that desktop environment will roughly look like, so you can find something you like.

2 GB should be enough to run Ubuntu, I run Linux on some fairly old laptops with rather limited hardware.

Prez

Thanks, I'll try out Ubuntu on the old desktop I currently have. If I like it and I can get the drivers for my Tascam audio interface and D-Link USB wifi adapter to work, I'll be convinced.

Honestly, you might want to give Elementary OS a try. It's Ubuntu with a lightweight UI that feels like Mac OS X.

The newer version should be out soon, but Luna (current release) will have everything you need, be lighter on resources than plain Ubuntu, and feel somewhat familiar if you've ever used a Mac. Might be easier to get in to if you're worried about a learning curve.

Top Bottom