• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

phoenixyz

Honestly, you might want to give Elementary OS a try. It's Ubuntu with a lightweight UI that feels like Mac OS X.

The newer version should be out soon, but Luna (current release) will have everything you need, be lighter on resources than plain Ubuntu, and feel somewhat familiar if you've ever used a Mac. Might be easier to get in to if you're worried about a learning curve.

But on the current Elementary version everything is outdated and the fact that the 14.04 based version is still not out doesn't fill me with confidence :/

But on the current Elementary version everything is outdated and the fact that the 14.04 based version is still not out doesn't fill me with confidence :/

Havent they basically been releasing them once a year? The Freya beta is out now so that would keep them on track. Ive been using Luna on my desktop and while it doesnt feel complete, it is rock solid and beautiful. The 3.15 kernel will be an incredibly welcome improvement though.

phoenixyz

Havent they basically been releasing them once a year? The Freya beta is out now so that would keep them on track. Ive been using Luna on my desktop and while it doesnt feel complete, it is rock solid and beautiful. The 3.15 kernel will be an incredibly welcome improvement though.

Yes, but the releases are always based on old (sometimes ancient) Ubuntu versions:
  • October 2012 - Jupiter (Ubuntu 10.10 based)
  • August 2013 - Luna (Ubuntu 12.04 based)
  • late 2014/early 2015 - Freya (Ubuntu 14.04 based)
If they released a month later (like Mint for example) it would be okay. But getting software which is outdated by nearly a year on release?

Prez

Honestly, you might want to give Elementary OS a try. It's Ubuntu with a lightweight UI that feels like Mac OS X.

The newer version should be out soon, but Luna (current release) will have everything you need, be lighter on resources than plain Ubuntu, and feel somewhat familiar if you've ever used a Mac. Might be easier to get in to if you're worried about a learning curve.

Never used a Mac. Wouldn't Ubuntu still be the best option? I did some googling and it should run very smooth with an AMD 5150, 4GB RAM and an SSD.

phoenixyz

Never used a Mac. Wouldn't Ubuntu still be the best option? I did some googling and it should run very smooth with an AMD 5150, 4GB RAM and an SSD.
I would also recommend Ubuntu. But you should try the different flavors (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome) via Live CD/USB drive before deciding.

ricki42

I think you could run pretty much any distro on your hardware. If you want to stick with Ubuntu but go a bit more lightweight, try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. They are still Ubuntu, just with Lxde and Xfce respectively. But you get all the normal updates same as default Unity Ubuntu. You could also try Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu and also a bit lighter (I think, never tried it myself).

Prez

I think you could run pretty much any distro on your hardware. If you want to stick with Ubuntu but go a bit more lightweight, try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. They are still Ubuntu, just with Lxde and Xfce respectively. But you get all the normal updates same as default Unity Ubuntu. You could also try Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu and also a bit lighter (I think, never tried it myself).

I'm getting really confused now. Which one would be most suited for someone who's used to Windows and knows nothing about Linux? Any good comparisons between Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu for dummies? The differences are hard to discern for someone with no knowledge of Linux.

Dicer

Banned
I'm getting really confused now. Which one would be most suited for someone who's used to Windows and knows nothing about Linux? Any good comparisons between Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu for dummies? The differences are hard to discern for someone with no knowledge of Linux.

Under the hood it's all the same, the only thing that is different is the user interface aka the WM(window manager)

Again if you want the easiest transition from Windows, use Cinnamon or MATE...you might want to look at Mint as opposed to Ubuntu as well, they are pretty much the same thing, just seems MINT is a bit more noob friendly IMHO

Prez

Under the hood it's all the same, the only thing that is different is the user interface aka the WM(window manager)

Again if you want the easiest transition from Windows, use Cinnamon or MATE...you might want to look at Mint as opposed to Ubuntu as well, they are pretty much the same thing, just seems MINT is a bit more noob friendly IMHO

Thanks, I'll try out Mint with Cinnamon. Looks really good, makes me wonder why I've never considered Linux before.

Yes, but the releases are always based on old (sometimes ancient) Ubuntu versions:
  • October 2012 - Jupiter (Ubuntu 10.10 based)
  • August 2013 - Luna (Ubuntu 12.04 based)
  • late 2014/early 2015 - Freya (Ubuntu 14.04 based)
If they released a month later (like Mint for example) it would be okay. But getting software which is outdated by nearly a year on release?
Well, they are a small team so it's kind of hard to have a stable base and release in a quick fashion. I think it's perfectly fine to base the release on the LTS's though (Jupiter is an obvious exception). I'm bummed that 12.04 is under the hood now, but once I can get 14.04 then that's enough for me knowing I'll have the latest patches and a stable set of software to come back to. It's nice to have some software sanity after using Arch all the time ;)

Sorry for the confusion! We all agree that you should get Ubuntu. What we're discussing is the flavor of Ubuntu you should get. As people have mentioned, for someone that is new this basically just means they have user interface differences. However, those user interfaces can be more resource intensive than others or they can be more confusing or distracting than others.

Some popular flavors of Ubuntu are Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Gnome Ubuntu, Mint (which has its own flavors in the Cinnamon and MATE variants), and Elementary OS. If this is overwhelming, then just go with Ubuntu. However, know that there are different flavors out there if you like it...but maybe don't quite like it.

Dicer

Banned
Thanks, I'll try out Mint with Cinnamon. Looks really good, makes me wonder why I've never considered Linux before.

It can be daunting esp for those that aren't terribly computer savvy...it's really not all that hard though, not like it used to be, holy mother of Linus....the early days were hard lol.

Mint is rock solid and cinnamon/MATE are similar again it's down to personal preference, I am running MATE right now...I was runnin cinnamon for a while but then I swapped over

Prez

It can be daunting esp for those that aren't terribly computer savvy...it's really not all that hard though, not like it used to be, holy mother of Linus....the early days were hard lol.

Mint is rock solid and cinnamon/MATE are similar again it's down to personal preference, I am running MATE right now...I was runnin cinnamon for a while but then I swapped over

Just installed it, took about an hour to get everything set up and I love it! I'm very impressed with everything it has to offer.

If I want to switch to MATE, can I easily do that or do I have to re-install Mint?

edit: checking out Unity screenshots now, looks far more appealing to me, so I'm gonna give that a try as well.

Prez

Trying to open Spotify now with Wine but I get "Please install Spotify using a normal account instead of an administrator account". Any help?

ricki42

That's only for Debian it seems? I don't even know what Debian is... Either way when I type in the command on the Spotify website, I get "No command deb found".

Debian is another distro, Ubuntu is based on Debian (and Mint is based on Ubuntu).
Try these instructions here. Seems to work under Ubuntu, though I don't have a spotify account, so I can only test up until starting the app.

phoenixyz

Well, they are a small team so it's kind of hard to have a stable base and release in a quick fashion. I think it's perfectly fine to base the release on the LTS's though (Jupiter is an obvious exception). I'm bummed that 12.04 is under the hood now, but once I can get 14.04 then that's enough for me knowing I'll have the latest patches and a stable set of software to come back to. It's nice to have some software sanity after using Arch all the time ;)
Yep, of course it's fine to base on LTS. But it's a big shame that it will be outdated on release.
I am probably going to give it a try anyway...

Prez

This is just great. Anything that requires to type in my password no longer opens. Software manager, users & groups,... asks me to type in password but after I do nothing happens.

I am probably going to give it a try anyway...
The sign of a true Linux user. If they get Calendar to sync with Google Calendar then all their work is worth it for me.
Wish Geary was ready too :(

This is just great. Anything that requires to type in my password no longer opens. Software manager, users & groups,... asks me to type in password but after I do nothing happens.
What did you do before this? Was there a software update? Were you changing certain files? A detailed retracing of your steps can help us help you.

ricki42

In addition to what Treechopper said, since you mention users & groups, did you change your groups? when typing 'groups' in a terminal, does it list 'sudo'? (Unless you already added your username using visudo, in which case the group doesn't matter anymore).

Prez

I have no idea what I did wrong but I finally fixed it in the root account. Spotify is working well after reinstalling too.

Thanks for being willing to help, guys. That makes me more confident to go with Linux as my main OS.

NotBacon

Yeah the cool thing about Linux is you can almost always recover yourself even when you think all hope is lost.

Tip for the future:
Whenever you want to install or tweak something on anything Ubuntu-based, just Google 'Ubuntu (insert thing here)'

Yeah the cool thing about Linux is you can almost always recover yourself even when you think all hope is lost.

Yeah, I've said it here before, but I deleted my window manager on accident once and one of the members here was able to help me recover everything without reinstalling.

Prez, when you start getting the hang of things then I'll start pushing you toward Arch :)

Prez

So I'm trying out Unity now and I definitely prefer this over Cinnamon. I'd like to have the launcher icons on the bottom of the screen instead of left though. Looks like Xubuntu does allow that?

I'll give MATE and Xubuntu a try tomorrow.

Dicer

Banned
So I'm trying out Unity now and I definitely prefer this over Cinnamon. I'd like to have the launcher icons on the bottom of the screen instead of left though. Looks like Xubuntu does allow that?

We can no longer be friends...

J/k Whatever works for you

You could install a dock application (there are a few in the software centre to try from) to get a launcher like that at the bottom of the screen. MATE or XFCE (Xubuntu has XFCE by default) could work well with a dock at the bottom.

Tried Gnome Shell? :)

I bought a macbook air the other day to put linux on it, and it's been interesting times. It's working now but there are some wifi problems. Wifi can have trouble connecting until I turn the wifi on and off a few times, and it slows down dramatically at other times. A minute ago it was at 0.76 Mbps, while other devices on the same wifi network were fine. Then after restarting it was 2.xx Mbps. It's back to about 13 Mbps, which is what the os x partition showed (which I checked in case it was a hardware issue, now that it's back to 13 Mbps on linux I don't know if it is).

It's been dramatic times, getting this working. :)

Also, I called Apple's support with setting up partitions (I overcomplicated things in my mind after just not seeing the Partitions tab on the upper level of Disk Utility and was panicking and regretting my purchase!). They asked what it was for and I said linux (thinking uh oh they will refuse to support me even though I was framing it as disk partitioning within OS X). But they helped me and later in the assistance they asked if I wanted to dual boot or just have linux. So 10/10 to Apple's support. :)

Though I'm not sure how to have linux only on a macbook air as the instructions online involve going back into os x after installing linux on another partition in order to install rEFIt.

g7XI2AJ.gif

Prez

You could install a dock application (there are a few in the software centre to try from) to get a launcher like that at the bottom of the screen. MATE or XFCE (Xubuntu has XFCE by default) could work well with a dock at the bottom.

Is Gnome Shell kind of like a theme you can download in the software manager in Ubuntu? Trying to figure out what it is, I feel a bit dumb trying to understand the descriptions.

Is Gnome Shell kind of like a theme you can download in the software manager in Ubuntu? Trying to figure out what it is, I feel a bit dumb trying to understand the descriptions.
Gnome Shell is a different interface, like how Unity and Cinnamon are different interfaces. It can, like many others, be installed through Ubuntu Software Centre (and then selected to be active by clicking on the little icon when signing in next). It can also be installed with it all set up if instead of putting (eg) Ubuntu on your computer, you put (eg) Ubuntu Gnome on it. Ubuntu Gnome is like Xubuntu, except it comes with Gnome Shell.

This is an old video of a much earlier version of Gnome Shell but it's the best video I found that shows the general idea of what it does. http://youtu.be/SSGfS6K7pI0

Prez

Gnome Shell is a different interface, like how Unity and Cinnamon are different interfaces. It can, like many others, be installed through Ubuntu Software Centre (and then selected to be active by clicking on the little icon when signing in next). It can also be installed with it all set up if instead of putting (eg) Ubuntu on your computer, you put (eg) Ubuntu Gnome on it. Ubuntu Gnome is like Xubuntu, except it comes with Gnome Shell.

This is an old video of a much earlier version of Gnome Shell but it's the best video I found that shows the general idea of what it does. http://youtu.be/SSGfS6K7pI0

Looks good, is it more or less CPU intensive than Unity though?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Did I mention I got bored and updated to the 14.10 beta? Still running Xubuntu as my setup.

They fucking changed the highlight color to fucking pinkish purple to stick with the unicorn theme better. Shit is fucking hillarious! LoL

Dicer

Banned
Did I mention I got bored and updated to the 14.10 beta? Still running Xubuntu as my setup.

They fucking changed the highlight color to fucking pinkish purple to stick with the unicorn theme better. Shit is fucking hillarious! LoL

I was about to upgrade but then it wants o remove all desktops that aren't Unity, lol

Anyway to exclude those?

Edit: upon closer inspection, it's going to re-install or update some of that stuff not remove it, lol

That's only memory consumption though. Doesn't really matter with 4GB RAM (not for what I'm doing at least).
Oh, right, sorry. The hardware side of things isn't my strong suit.

I wasn't able to find a CPU comparison and so someone else would be more help. Though I installed Unity to compare on my "Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4" computer if this helps. Both versions are what you can have with Ubuntu 14.04.

Gnome Shell 3.10
tos6eCG.jpg

Unity 7.2.2
Jrvo1Gn.png

That's only memory consumption though. Doesn't really matter with 4GB RAM (not for what I'm doing at least).

I run Gnome Shell (on top of Arch, not Ubuntu) with a mobile i3 processor and Intel's integrated graphics chip. It's smooth as butter, even when I'm connected to my 1920 x 1200 monitor. Your 5150 will run it just fine.

Prez

Oh, right, sorry. The hardware side of things isn't my strong suit.

I wasn't able to find a CPU comparison and so someone else would be more help. Though I installed Unity to compare on my "Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4" computer if this helps. Both versions are what you can have with Ubuntu 14.04.

The difference looks pretty negligible. Thanks.

I run Gnome Shell (on top of Arch, not Ubuntu) with a mobile i3 processor and Intel's integrated graphics chip. It's smooth as butter, even when I'm connected to my 1920 x 1200 monitor. Your 5150 will run it just fine.

Doesn't your mobile i3 run at a much higher clockspeed? 5150 is only 1.6Ghz.

Firefox runs on multiple cores. It's comparable to Chromium/Chrome for me on both Arch and Elementary.

EDIT: I may have lied. Several sites seem to suggest Servo is already out, but nobody seems to be reporting on its inclusion yet.

Dicer

Banned
Ubuntu 14.10 got everything back to normal except VLC, which is kinda important.

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 vlc : Depends: libgles1-mesa (>= 7.8.1) but it is not going to be installed or
                libgles1
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I can't find any discussion anywhere, help is appreciated.

NotBacon

Ubuntu 14.10 got everything back to normal except VLC, which is kinda important.

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 vlc : Depends: libgles1-mesa (>= 7.8.1) but it is not going to be installed or
                libgles1
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I can't find any discussion anywhere, help is appreciated.

Have you tried using aptitude instead of apt-get? It gives up less easily when trying to resolve issues such as these.

Top Bottom