• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

zoku88

OS's break. Ubuntu is known for having some quirky bugs every release.

Read up on your motherboard's options to be sure, but that sounds like secure boot in hiding. As far as I understand it, Ubuntu is the only distribution that works with it because of Canonical's efforts. You could keep it and dig through why it's not working, limiting you to Ubuntu's community, or disable it and work fine like every other Linux distro.

It is. My ASUS mobo basically has the exact same language for Secure Boot.

Any alternatives to Google Drive? I can't believe there isn't an official client available yet. Already have Dropbox but I wouldn't mind having another service I could rely on that's cross-platform across Windows, OSX, and Linux.

ricki42

OS's break. Ubuntu is known for having some quirky bugs every release.

Read up on your motherboard's options to be sure, but that sounds like secure boot in hiding. As far as I understand it, Ubuntu is the only distribution that works with it because of Canonical's efforts. You could keep it and dig through why it's not working, limiting you to Ubuntu's community, or disable it and work fine like every other Linux distro.

I actually tried upgrading again yesterday, and this time it worked without a hitch. I didn't change anything in the BIOS. Weird.
But thanks for your help anyway, I read up a bit on Secure Boot, always good to know!

Any alternatives to Google Drive? I can't believe there isn't an official client available yet. Already have Dropbox but I wouldn't mind having another service I could rely on that's cross-platform across Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I've never used it, but Copy works for pretty much every popular platform out there at a price. Spider Oak is free, but you only get 2GB.

itxaka

Defeatist
I've never used it, but Copy works for pretty much every popular platform out there at a price. Spider Oak is free, but you only get 2GB.

I can vouch for copy. Its awesome, they gave you 5Gbs extra for each referral, if you share a folder with someone the total space used is divided between you both so you each get half of it counting to your total instead of you getting the whole thing.

Damn, since I moved to my new pc (i7, 16Gb, gtx760, z97 mobo) I have never experienced so many issues on linux.

Rigth now, its totally unusable. Usually there is a couple of fixes to be done but this time it wont even boot. It gets stuck on loading the kernel into ram and I dont even get an error message.

Freaking thing will happen for 3 days after a week of no problems, then fix itself (or reinstall, look! linux is catching up to windows!) then stay again for a week and broke again.

Damn, what I bad luck this time. Sound does not work unless I install kernel 3.18. But then Nvidia drivers wont work in 3.18 because they broke them. Wireless wont work unless I compile a kernel mod. Which breaks every 2 to 3 hours.

Ugh. It reminds me of 2000 or so, nothing but problems. Boot windows, install linux on a vm. Full screen in both monitors. Fixed. :p

Hm, 15GB of free space sounds good but I've never heard of Copy. What's their reputation like?
I can vouch for copy. Its awesome, they gave you 5Gbs extra for each referral, if you share a folder with someone the total space used is divided between you both so you each get half of it counting to your total instead of you getting the whole thing.
They're owned by Barracuda which does quite a bit of enterprise-level business. You'll probably be fine.

itxaka, "Linux" is pretty broad. Arch has been nothing but smooth for me. What are you running?

itxaka

Defeatist
They're owned by Barracuda which does quite a bit of enterprise-level business. You'll probably be fine.

itxaka, "Linux" is pretty broad. Arch has been nothing but smooth for me. What are you running?

Youp, sorry. Ubuntu, then Debian. Now moved to Fedora as again is not booting. Not even passing the loading kernel to ram so I cant even troubleshoot it.

Did a ram check, hdd test. All ok. Ah gawd.

ricki42

Youp, sorry. Ubuntu, then Debian. Now moved to Fedora as again is not booting. Not even passing the loading kernel to ram so I cant even troubleshoot it.

Did a ram check, hdd test. All ok. Ah gawd.

I have a similar PC (i7-4790k, Asus Z97-A, 16 GB RAM, GTX 770) running Xubuntu, and apart from the issue with Secure Boot (that magically disappeared...) it's been running smoothly. I'm using the proprietary nvidia drivers, but it worked with nouveau as well before I installed the proprietary drivers. Kernel is 3.16.0-28.
What's your motherboard?

itxaka

Defeatist
I have a similar PC (i7-4790k, Asus Z97-A, 16 GB RAM, GTX 770) running Xubuntu, and apart from the issue with Secure Boot (that magically disappeared...) it's been running smoothly. I'm using the proprietary nvidia drivers, but it worked with nouveau as well before I installed the proprietary drivers. Kernel is 3.16.0-28.
What's your motherboard?

Gigabyte Z97-SLI. So same chipset. Dont you have issues with the sound card or are you on kernel >= 3.18?

Prepare for the worst :/

Then come to Arch :)

Actually is playing nicely. Everything working pretty well. I forgot how bad SELinux is for a Desktop but oh well.

Im way passed the Arch madness.I did rock it for a few months but the madness of having to check the official page every week to fix constant issues (renamed packages for example which would break the system until a manual fix is done) make me stop using it.

ITs probably the most usefull distro out there, all that customization is awesome and never run that fast on any other distro. But I use linux to work so I cant allow any sudden downtime :/

ricki42

Gigabyte Z97-SLI. So same chipset. Dont you have issues with the sound card or are you on kernel >= 3.18?

I'm on kernel 3.16 and don't have problems with sound.
But I just checked, and my motherboard actually has the older Realtek ALC892 while yours has the new ALC1150.
Since you say sound works in kernel 3.18, I found this bug report which was supposedly fixed in 3.18. There's a solution how to fix it in previous kernel versions if you want to go back to an older kernel.

Im way passed the Arch madness.I did rock it for a few months but the madness of having to check the official page every week to fix constant issues (renamed packages for example which would break the system until a manual fix is done) make me stop using it.

ITs probably the most usefull distro out there, all that customization is awesome and never run that fast on any other distro. But I use linux to work so I cant allow any sudden downtime :/

What packages were you using that were constantly breaking? I've been using it for close to a year now and I've never run into a critical bug/package. Part of the reason I'm on it is because of how stable it is.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'm on kernel 3.16 and don't have problems with sound.
But I just checked, and my motherboard actually has the older Realtek ALC892 while yours has the new ALC1150.
Since you say sound works in kernel 3.18, I found this bug report which was supposedly fixed in 3.18. There's a solution how to fix it in previous kernel versions if you want to go back to an older kernel.

Yeah, Im in 3.18.1 so that is fixed. Works great!

What packages were you using that were constantly breaking? I've been using it for close to a year now and I've never run into a critical bug/package. Part of the reason I'm on it is because of how stable it is.

Just check the latest news on Arch homepage, there is several manual actions required because packages change things all around. I mean, I get it is a rolling release, but I dont have the time now to take care of that and hope for no breaks after an update. That is the reason I stayed on Ubuntu 10.04 up to 3 months ago as my work distro. I need something stable that does not break, for I may need to use it suddenly for work :)

Yeah, the exact reason I use linux at all (I want a computer that reliably works exactly how I expect from the moment I configure it to the moment I tear it down and start over 5 years later) is sabotaged by Arch's creedo.

No thanks.

*shrug* I guess I feel like it's not bad because when they do make changes they give you a rundown of exactly what's happening and what to do for the new configuration. I've never spent more than ten minutes on an official change.

peakish

Having to keep on top of important changes is a consequence of a rolling release system. I'm rolling with it myself since I enjoy the benefits too much but there's a ton of reasons for someone to stay on a "stable" distro instead.

One thing to note is that interventions are announced on the arch-announce mailing list so you don't actually have to keep on top of the web site to run it. I also subscribe to the devel mailing list to give me an even bigger heads up on upcoming changes. (Not that I have to intervene that much since I'm running a very vanilla system.)

I have a need to run a linux OS installed on a USB flash drive on multiple computers for my work. What distro is best for this purpose? I'm guessing Ubuntu based on my initial research. Anyone ever do this? I've never tried running linux from a UBS flash drive before.

NotBacon

I have a need to run a linux OS installed on a USB flash drive on multiple computers for my work. What distro is best for this purpose? I'm guessing Ubuntu based on my initial research. Anyone ever do this? I've never tried running linux from a UBS flash drive before.

It's very easy. Grab the .iso and burn it with dd or unetbootin. And something lightweight and Ubuntu based is probably your best bet.

I installed Ubuntu on an external drive. It worked, but I would suggest USB 3.0. Using 2.0 makes everything sluggish.

-KRS-

I installed Emacs the other day to try and learn how to use it just for fun, and after configuring it a bunch and getting used to how it works I have to say I really like it. I can't believe I never really tried it much before.

What distro is best for this purpose? I'm guessing Ubuntu based on my initial research.

Depends on what you want to do, but if it's just for general usage Ubuntu is probably good yes. If it's for system recovery there's System Rescue CD. If it's for security & penetration testing there's Backtrack.

Knoppix used to be recommended as the best live-cd distro for general usage, but I'm not sure if it's good anymore.

-KRS-

Haha I knew someone would say something like that. :D
Vim is probably just as good and fully-featured, if not out of the box then at least with plugins etc. I actually tried to learn Vim years ago but I gave up for some reason. I'll probably give it another chance one of these days for a proper comparison.

tuffy

I got a lot of mileage out of Practical Vim for learning how best to use it. It's a very powerful and efficient editor once you get the hang of it.

Emacs is similarly powerful and org-mode is too awesome to give up. It's easier to extend since it's chock full of self-documenting Lisp, but one's liable to miss Vim's editing features. That's why Evil is a popular add-on since it combines features from both editors.

NotBacon

I probably should get better at vim, I only know the basics of navigating, editing, and saving. It's more than enough to get the job done, but I'm not wizard status yet :p

Many thanks for the replies to my question.

One more question... I used the USB Pen Drive installer to install Linux to a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive. I chose Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. But I cannot install any apps. I need to use the Private Internet Access VPN (traveling to a foreign country) network manager but I'm unable to install it. Do I need to install the Ubuntu to be able to install apps?

Edit:
Nevermind. I figured it out.

this_guy

Any one have any opinions on opensuse 13.2? I'm used to KDE desktop and used it with Fedora 20. On Fedora I've had a few kernel updates that wouldn't boot properly and I always had to roll it back. That's probably partly because Fedora tries to be bleeding edge and I also had to do a few hacks to get AMD catalyst drivers to work, although this go around ill just stick with the open source drivers.

injurai

Banned
I personally dislike opensuse kde. It's probably most broken out to UI a linux distro has ever become. Which some people really like.

Danj

I wonder if you guys can help me? I'm looking for a Linux distro which can:

• Run from a USB stick.
  • Allows easy network configuration from outside the OS, e.g. a text config file that can be edited in Windows.
  • Allows easy user account configuration from outside the OS, or has some sort of default user account set up.
  • Mount ext4 partitions on hard disks on the computer it's being used on.

Basically a combination rescue slash remote access type thing, so I can try and diagnose what's going on with my Linux box at my mum's house from several hundred miles away. We tried Boot Repair and that did not help.

What is a good Linux Distro for programming? I haven't used Linux OSs much, but I heard of Ubuntu, Elementary and Mint.

I have a very high end Desktop with 980.

injurai

Banned
What is a good Linux Distro for programming? I haven't used Linux OSs much, but I heard of Ubuntu, Elementary and Mint.

The major differences between distro lineages are their package manager, and their official package repositories? Do you know what those are?

The then those distro families usually are further divided by employing different window managers. Those would be the graphical interfaces. Gnome/Unity/Cinnamon/Mate/KDE/Elementary/XFCE/LXDE.

Your beginning out right? So I'd probably go with a debian based distro for now. Ubuntu has a debian lineage. Ubuntu based systems are probably the easiest for beginners and I use them still just because I don't like getting caught up in admin stuff usually.

Your machine seems powerful so you could try installing a bunch in VirtualBox to test them out. Distro Hopping is something I would encourage anyone interested in linux to do once.

Cinnamon/Mate go Mint.
Unity is stock Ubuntu
XFCE is Xubuntu (what I use)
LXDE is Lubuntu
KDE is Kubuntu
There is a Gnome Ubuntu
Pantheon is Elementary
Open Box is another favorite. CrunchBang is the Debian distro for that.

This paradigm is mimicked across each major distro lineage. You'll probably first like the looks of particular window managers. Try to learn some of their shortcuts, like switching between workspaces. Look at the settings they have. That will really tell you if you'll like the work flow.

NotBacon

They're all very much the same once you open a bash shell, so grab something simple like Xubuntu or Ubuntu and have fun poking around.

LaneDS

Has anyone ever run into an issue where you see a version mismatch between, say, bash depending on whether you do the following?

bash --version

or

rpm -qa | grep bash

The former returns bash 3.2.25 whereas the rpm query gives me 3.2-33, and I see dependency errors when trying to do rpm installations related to this. Happening with at least python too, on one of my systems.

Any insights as to what may be going on there?

ricki42

Has anyone ever run into an issue where you see a version mismatch between, say, bash depending on whether you do the following?

bash --version

or

rpm -qa | grep bash

The former returns bash 3.2.25 whereas the rpm query gives me 3.2-33, and I see dependency errors when trying to do rpm installations related to this. Happening with at least python too, on one of my systems.

Any insights as to what may be going on there?

That is weird. What distro are you running? Can you get any additional information with
$ rpm -qi bash
? Also, does
$ rpm -V bash
(verify package) show anything?
Did you install anything from other repositories?

Nesotenso

does anyone know if there is a terminal command option for man which brings up the contents of a section or at least summarizes a section?

LaneDS

That is weird. What distro are you running? Can you get any additional information with
$ rpm -qi bash
? Also, does
$ rpm -V bash
(verify package) show anything?
Did you install anything from other repositories?

I had done some rpm -qi comparisons and not found anything that really clues me into the version mismatch. It persists whether you're root or any other account I've tested. Seems to be the case on every RHEL5 system I check too, whereas on RHEL6 systems I don't see the same problem.

With rpm -V bash (or any other package) what are you looking for? I just run that command and it has no output and brings me back to the prompt. I'm assuming if the package shows any corruption it'll say something?

Thanks all the same for the feedback.

Massa

You can use yum to verify database problems, in particular the package-cleanup command.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your bash install. Bash used to to be distributed in major new versions (bash-3.2), and minor updates were released only as patches. Looks like RHEL5 is using patch 25 applied on top of bash 3.2, which is where the mismatch comes from. rpm packages usually match the version with the source tarball they're using, in this case bash-3.2.tar.gz.

LaneDS

You can use yum to verify database problems, in particular the package-cleanup command.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your bash install. Bash used to to be distributed in major new versions (bash-3.2), and minor updates were released only as patches. Looks like RHEL5 is using patch 25 applied on top of bash 3.2, which is where the mismatch comes from. rpm packages usually match the version with the source tarball they're using, in this case bash-3.2.tar.gz.

Thank you. I saw someone online post something similar and am now willing to accept what both of you are saying as what's probably happening in this case.

Okay, is there a linux distro that can allow me to easily configure a wifi hotspot from my laptop (which is connected with a LAN cable) ?

I can do it really easily on Windows 7, 8.1, but I just can't do it on Ubuntu 14.10. It just doesn't work at all, I can't change the SSID, I can't set whatever encryption I want, I can't change the MAC adress of the virtual router.

I'm open to whatever distro that would allow me to do this, thanks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay, is there a linux distro that can allow me to easily configure a wifi hotspot from my laptop (which is connected with a LAN cable) ?

I can do it really easily on Windows 7, 8.1, but I just can't do it on Ubuntu 14.10. It just doesn't work at all, I can't change the SSID, I can't set whatever encryption I want, I can't change the MAC adress of the virtual router.

I'm open to whatever distro that would allow me to do this, thanks.

Keep Ubuntu

Download the package Ap-Hotspot

Just search the web for the 3rd party PPA.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I might as well...

Recently I've upgraded Linux Mint from 16 to 17.1 on my laptop that has a GeForce 660M and an Intel Graphics 3000 card. In the past, I've been having trouble switching between the two because my battery life with Mint has been horrible due to constantly running with the 660M on. However, when I upgraded to 17.1, Mint is now stuck running in Software Rendering Mode and I have no idea how to switch it back.

I've searched online to see if I can find a solution but have had no luck so far. Mint is able to find both graphics cards using lspci and my 660M is even labeled under Driver Manager, but when I uninstalled my NVidia drivers and tried to install the latest drivers from NVidia, it wouldn't download because it says that I don't have compatible hardware. Is there a way to disable Software Rendering mode and get my NVidia drivers working again?

ricki42

Recently I've upgraded Linux Mint from 16 to 17.1 on my laptop that has a GeForce 660M and an Intel Graphics 3000 card. In the past, I've been having trouble switching between the two because my battery life with Mint has been horrible due to constantly running with the 660M on. However, when I upgraded to 17.1, Mint is now stuck running in Software Rendering Mode and I have no idea how to switch it back.

I've searched online to see if I can find a solution but have had no luck so far. Mint is able to find both graphics cards using lspci and my 660M is even labeled under Driver Manager, but when I uninstalled my NVidia drivers and tried to install the latest drivers from NVidia, it wouldn't download because it says that I don't have compatible hardware. Is there a way to disable Software Rendering mode and get my NVidia drivers working again?

I don't understand what you mean by 'it wouldn't download'; are you using the package manager, or are you downloading the latest driver from geforce.com/drivers ? Can you load the nvidia drm module? Do you have nvidia-settings installed to let it configure your xorg.conf? For my GTX770, the relevant xorg.conf part looks like this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GTX 770"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Stereo" "0"
Option "metamodes" "1920x1080_120 +0+0"
Option "SLI" "Off"
Option "MultiGPU" "Off"
Option "BaseMosaic" "off"
Option "CoolBits" "28"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Milchmann

Follow these instructions, should fix your problems: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1687

I already had bumblebee installed (which didn't work in 16) and I am able to access nvidia settings and have set it so that it can edit the config files. Here's what it currently looks like (under /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia)

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AutoAddGPU" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "DiscreteNvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "UseEDID" "false"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
EndSection

Even after reinstalling the drivers and updating bumblebee, I am still stuck in software rendering mode.

EDIT: For a better understanding of my problem, it's similar to this, except that I'm not running Mint in a Virtual Machine.

Tenebrous

Hey folks.

I'm looking for distribution suggestions. After messing about over the past year or so with a couple of the more popular distros, I've often been deterred by the lack of systems that come with things I don't want as standard. I know I can remove such things more often than not, but that's hassle I would rather do with out.

What do I want?

Firefox.
Basic system tools.
Software center.

And that's it. I don't want an office suite, crapware games, IM programs, email software or any social networking fluff. Just a fast, enjoyable experience that offers me the things I want without anything else getting in the way.

Top Bottom