• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

I love Xubuntu and all, but I need to come clean about something:

The installer is a complete dumpster file. It's trash. It simply doesn't work half the time.

I know that when I get a system gets installed, it'll be rock solid, but I don't see how I can recommend this shit... at least until amnesia kicks in, and I forget what a pain in the ass it was to install last time.

JohnChang

Banned
I love Xubuntu and all, but I need to come clean about something:

The installer is a complete dumpster file. It's trash. It simply doesn't work half the time.

I know that when I get a system gets installed, it'll be rock solid, but I don't see how I can recommend this shit... at least until amnesia kicks in, and I forget what a pain in the ass it was to install last time.

Which part did you have issues with?

The only trick part I can think of is the partitioning portion, if it doesn't properly pickup you have a windows partition and makes room for itself trouble but otherwise its worked good for me and after that partitioning portion its just wait for it to finish installing.

I tried the Debian installer recently, that was a step back to the old days when i first tried Linux and didn't use it because I didn't understand what was happening.

Basically, it's like this:

Disable full drive encryption checkbox -> everything works
Enable full drive encryption checkbox -> everything goes to hell

I ran into a problem with installing packages from "cd" (actually USB), ran into one where it failed for no discernible reason (just said it was done about 5 seconds after it started... not a good sign), and ran into one where it said it had succeeded, and then I got a bizarre initrfs (or whatever) terminal on every boot.

However... It just worked! All hail Xubuntu!

Tried out Freya Beta. It looks great, but once I tried to start any program it all crashed :(

Anybody tried doing the bounty bug fixes? Is it pretty difficult stuff or something a college CS student could get done?

Zapages

My Ubuntu 14.04 is not booting up at all.

I was trying to make one of the 3 TB hard drives to show up on left hand side menu via disk utility. Also it was not allowing me to add folders after it showed. Hence I rebooted the Operating system.

Unfortunately after rebooting it: I receive the following error and Ubuntu does not boot up at all. (Bio-Linux 8 - Ubuntu 14.04)

Code:
[ 2.739463] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: initialization failed.
[ 3.044955] EXT4-fs (sdb1): Unrecognized mount option x-gvfs-show or missing value

Ubuntu is not booting at all.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

zoku88

My Ubuntu 14.04 is not booting up at all.

I was trying to make one of the 3 TB hard drives to show up on left hand side menu via disk utility. Also it was not allowing me to add folders after it showed. Hence I rebooted the Operating system.

Unfortunately after rebooting it: I receive the following error and Ubuntu does not boot up at all. (Bio-Linux 8 - Ubuntu 14.04)

Code:
[ 2.739463] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: initialization failed.
[ 3.044955] EXT4-fs (sdb1): Unrecognized mount option x-gvfs-show or missing value

Ubuntu is not booting at all.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.
I'm guessing there's something wrong with the /etc/fstab

So look at that and see if the bad mount option is in there.

Zapages

I'm guessing there's something wrong with the /etc/fstab

So look at that and see if the bad mount option is in there.

I went into recovery (last time it failed). This time it worked, I was able to skip the mount by having it on automatic Mount options to "On". Now I am able to access Ubuntu.

The problem that I am facing now is how do you are able to create new files, folders or anything in the new hard drive? The option is shaded right now, which is strange/interesting.

At the same time, I can make the new folders on the default OS partition which is 20 GB.

EDIT: If I do it in terminal, I am told that I don't have permission, which is strange as I am admin.

PS: Its a brand new machine.

EDIT2: If I do sudo in terminal, it works, but not in Ubuntu itself. Strange.

zoku88

I went into recovery (last time it failed). This time it worked, I was able to skip the mount by having it on automatic Mount options to "On". Now I am able to access Ubuntu.

The problem that I am facing now is how do you are able to create new files, folders or anything in the new hard drive? The option is shaded right now, which is strange/interesting.

At the same time, I can make the new folders on the default OS partition which is 20 GB.

EDIT: If I do it in terminal, I am told that I don't have permission, which is strange as I am admin.

PS: Its a brand new machine.

EDIT2: If I do sudo in terminal, it works, but not in Ubuntu itself. Strange.
I'm not sure what you mean when you said "you are admin". If you're using Ubuntu, you're most likely not logging in root as that is disabled by default. So by default, you'd probably need root permissions to read or write.

Do an ls -l on the mount location and see what permissions there are.

How are you mounting this drive?

EDIT there's nothing stopping you from doing a chmod to change the permissions. On phone, so you'll have to search for examples,but it's pretty easy.

Zapages

I'm not sure what you mean when you said "you are admin". If you're using Ubuntu, you're most likely not logging in root as that is disabled by default. So by default, you'd probably need root permissions to read or write.

Do an ls -l on the mount location and see what permissions there are.

How are you mounting this drive?

EDIT there's nothing stopping you from doing a chmod to change the permissions. On phone, so you'll have to search for examples,but it's pretty easy.

I am mounting the drive in the Ubuntu's Disk Utility - selecting the drive and stating it to be mounted and appear on the side.

Also I am able to get create folder/copy/paste/etc option in the new 3 TB internal hard drive by

using sudo nautilus in terminal allows me this option.

I was wondering I was able to give this option to all users for the particular hard drive.

Also, visudo gives me Permission denied after working before, which is strange. I did not edit the file either.

zoku88

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu tools. Do you run disk utility as Root? (did you have to type in a password to do something with it?)

Type mount in the terminal. That will show you the mount path of whatever you have mounted.

Then do ls -l on the mount directory to check out the permissions.

Zapages

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu tools. Do you run disk utility as Root? (did you have to type in a password to do something with it?)

Type mount in the terminal. That will show you the mount path of whatever you have mounted.

Then do ls -l on the mount directory to check out the permissions.

I ran Disk Utility via the GUI within Ubuntu.

I think I found what happened: its known bug in Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/271516/is-there-a-program-to-mount-all-of-my-drives-automatically and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/1012081

would something like this work though:

sudo chmod 777 /media/1c1eba21-fc77-45f5-86f2-2c9fa22e0031

Thank you again for the help. :)

Nesotenso

I am having a stupid issue with virtual box and installing xubuntu. I installed xubuntu and then openvswitch and mininet. When I power off the machine and turn it on again, virtual box asks me to install xubuntu again.

Anyone call help me? why the hell is it asking me to install xubuntu again and again?

LaneDS

I am having a stupid issue with virtual box and installing xubuntu. I installed xubuntu and then openvswitch and mininet. When I power off the machine and turn it on again, virtual box asks me to install xubuntu again.

Anyone call help me? why the hell is it asking me to install xubuntu again and again?

Haven't used virtualbox, but if it's anything like VMware, you can opt to your (virtual) optical disc drives pointed at the disc or ISO of the install media. Maybe you've still got it set to look at that?

Nesotenso

Haven't used virtualbox, but if it's anything like VMware, you can opt to your (virtual) optical disc drives pointed at the disc or ISO of the install media. Maybe you've still got it set to look at that?

for initial installation I mounted the iso image for xubuntu and had the boot option from CD/DVD. should I unmount it after I install and reboot?

Zapages

I have a question that has been bugging me with Ubuntu Linux.

What is the best option to have multiple Ubuntu user accounts access one workstation via the same network (school) and one that goes through internet (maybe on this option for now due to school IT department).

I know of teamviewer (over the internet) where one user can basically take over the workstation and use it like if they are there themselves. I have used it as well. The limit is that one person can use teamviewer to do everything and the workstation is not usable at that time.

I was wondering if there was a method to have multiple users to have GUI (Ubuntu) interface to access all the software that we are providing.

I have thought of using FreeNx, but I have not used in the past. What about any SSH options guys that could recommend?

The best would be multiple users using the same set of applications at the same time. Also them being able to save them in their respective folders.

The hierarchy that my mentor and I trying to establish is the following:

1) Admin - Mentor and I - we can see all work that being done
2) Users/Professors. - Standard users in Ubuntu

Also would recommend using what this video recommends:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdBSyy4xcM for one users
2) Multiple users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOMBFX8P9E
3) XDRP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=gFdBSyy4xcM&v=sDZ6zmuYsho

Thank you in advance guys. :)

EDIT: Can do the same for folks who use Mac OSX laptops?

EDIT2: Thank you zoku88, I will try it on Monday. :)

EDIT3: Is there any tool to automatically distribute the number of threads (cores x 2) and amount of ram for each remote user or standard user? The admin will set the number resources available for the remote user or for the standard user. These resources will become available for the workstation after the user ends their remote session or logs off. Is there any resource management tool for Ubuntu Linux? Thank you in advance. :)

Seanbob11

Hey guys. I'm looking at setting up an old PC that I got from work with Ubuntu server and making it into a git server for my dev projects.

I don't really have much experience with servers so is there a good tutorial online showing me the steps?

LaneDS

I have a question that has been bugging me with Ubuntu Linux.

What is the best option to have multiple Ubuntu user accounts access one workstation via the same network (school) and one that goes through internet (maybe on this option for now due to school IT department).

I know of teamviewer (over the internet) where one user can basically take over the workstation and use it like if they are there themselves. I have used it as well. The limit is that one person can use teamviewer to do everything and the workstation is not usable at that time.

I was wondering if there was a method to have multiple users to have GUI (Ubuntu) interface to access all the software that we are providing.

I have thought of using FreeNx, but I have not used in the past. What about any SSH options guys that could recommend?

The best would be multiple users using the same set of applications at the same time. Also them being able to save them in their respective folders.

The hierarchy that my mentor and I trying to establish is the following:

1) Admin - Mentor and I - we can see all work that being done
2) Users/Professors. - Standard users in Ubuntu

Also would recommend using what this video recommends:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdBSyy4xcM for one users
2) Multiple users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOMBFX8P9E
3) XDRP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=gFdBSyy4xcM&v=sDZ6zmuYsho

Thank you in advance guys. :)

EDIT: Can do the same for folks who use Mac OSX laptops?

EDIT2: Thank you zoku88, I will try it on Monday. :)

EDIT3: Is there any tool to automatically distribute the number of threads (cores x 2) and amount of ram for each remote user or standard user? The admin will set the number resources available for the remote user or for the standard user. These resources will become available for the workstation after the user ends their remote session or logs off. Is there any resource management tool for Ubuntu Linux? Thank you in advance. :)

So you want them to all have separate accounts and access one system remotely? At first I wasn't sure if you were looking to have them all collaborate in one session (which I haven't done) but it seems like you just want to:

a) Create local accounts for your users on the workstation

and

b) Configure XRDP (and maybe SSH) along with possibly updating your iptables rules to allow for it.

Not sure based on your edits if this was all laid out for you already but hey, maybe it's helpful! Also not sure on the resource sharing edit 3 question but am curious to hear what you get back.

Zapages

So you want them to all have separate accounts and access one system remotely? At first I wasn't sure if you were looking to have them all collaborate in one session (which I haven't done) but it seems like you just want to:

a) Create local accounts for your users on the workstation

and

b) Configure XRDP (and maybe SSH) along with possibly updating your iptables rules to allow for it.

Not sure based on your edits if this was all laid out for you already but hey, maybe it's helpful! Also not sure on the resource sharing edit 3 question but am curious to hear what you get back.

Sorry for the confusion with edits.

I am hoping to have separate accounts for everyone and to have them access one workstation remotely. The workstation has tools that will allow everyone to use. They are not collaborating in one session, but working independently.

What configurations or settings would you recommend with XRDP, SSH, and IPTables(firewall).

http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=5305 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2218088&page=2

The only worrisome part is that if multiple users are logged in at the same time is that they will be using the whole a lot of ram and resources to be used at the same time. Hence, my third edit.

The other question is a long shot on how to do this. I wondering was there any method for standard users who remote access into the workstation can only use a specific amount of RAM and threads (CPU cores x 2) for their tasks. These resources are specified by the Admin. Then when they log off, these resources are sent back into the main resources of the workstation for the other users or the admins to use.

I hope this clarifies my questions. Also I am using Ubuntu 14 with BioLinux.

Thank you again for the help.

Zapages

I think I will have to talk with the university's IT for the access for online from them for their special firewalls and everything (even on the same network).

My MacBook can't communicate with the workstation for some odd reason it does not connect. I am using Microsoft's Remote Desktop on my Macbook Pro OSX Mountain Lion.

Anyway, I installed two applications. Anyway, at least one of them worked, while other one gave me this error:

I was following this: http://docs.flowjo.com/vx/installation/flowjo-linux/

Any ideas on how to fix this and to get it work on Ubuntu 14.04.

Code:
user@BioLinux301[flowjoLinux] chmod gou+x flowjo.sh                   [ 4:49PM]
user@BioLinux301[flowjoLinux] ./flowjo.sh                                                                                                [ 4:50PM]
ERROR: Uncaught Exception: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at com.bric.swing.QDialog.createOKButton(Unknown Source)
    at com.bric.swing.QDialog.createDialogFooter(Unknown Source)
    at com.bric.swing.QDialog.showDialog(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.lib.dialogs.SDialogs.notify(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.flowjo.main.Main.javaCheck(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.flowjo.main.Main.initMain(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.flowjo.main.Main.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.treestar.lib.FJCommand.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    ... 10 more

Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"
user@BioLinux301[flowjoLinux] sudo ./flowjo.sh                                                                                           [ 4:50PM]
[sudo] password for user: 
No protocol specified
ERROR: Uncaught Exception: java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:65)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:110)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:74)
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:191)
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:102)
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:81)
    at javax.swing.RepaintManager.<clinit>(RepaintManager.java:212)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.repaint(JComponent.java:4784)
    at java.awt.Component.repaint(Component.java:3297)
    at javax.swing.text.JTextComponent.setEditable(JTextComponent.java:1807)
    at javax.swing.text.JTextComponent.<init>(JTextComponent.java:319)
    at javax.swing.JTextArea.<init>(JTextArea.java:204)
    at javax.swing.JTextArea.<init>(JTextArea.java:150)
    at com.bric.swing.FixedWidthTextArea.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.bric.swing.QDialog.createContentPanel(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.flowjo.main.Main.javaCheck(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.flowjo.main.Main.initMain(Unknown Source)
    at com.treestar.flowjo.main.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"
user@BioLinux301[flowjoLinux]

injurai

Banned
I got to distro hopping again.

Unity on Ubuntu 14.10 isn't awful in VMs anymore, but It can't be restored from saving the session state... lame!

Manjaro Net + XFCE is super nice and light weight. Way easier to install than Arch. BUT I found it maintains different repos and as a result there is a bunch of bullshit involved in installing certain things. They also do away with pkgfile... i don't even...

openSUSE 13.2, this is my first experience of KDE actually. Omg does it feel over-designed. In some ways I was impressed just how much functionality was broken out to my finger tips. But at the same time I could see it becoming a prison. If you learn -nix this way you won't have much reason to learn the terminal way of doing things nearly as often.

elementary Freya, Is like the opposite of KDE. It's simple in all the ways it needs to be, and the terminal is your mistress. Plus it has the ubuntu software center.

Xubuntu is still my goto. It's a shame nothing QT feels as good and remains as light weight as XFCE. Throw in compton and you have a match made in heaven.

I think I might try Arch one more time, but I can't motivate myself to relearn how to install it.

New Scientific linux is a pretty nice GNOME3 distro. Though other than maybe playing around with R, it's clearly made by Fermi for Fermi.

LaneDS

Is there a fundamental difference in the following two commands?

lvextend +L +1G /dev/mapper/testsystem-var

and

lvextend +L +1G /dev/testsystem/var

and then the corresponding resize2fs that would follow? I've done them both and both seem to work fundamentally the same way but don't fully understand the idea behind a device mapper I guess.

LaneDS

I think those are exact same thing.

They might even be symlinked? I forget

Ha, I thought the same thing and earlier did an ls -al /dev/mapper/testsystem-var and didn't see a symlink, but stupidly did not do the same for /dev/testsystem/var... which totally is a symlink.

I feel better about what I did earlier in any case, so thanks for the response.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I built a new PC earlier this week (my first attempt at building a PC and it worked!) and I was having a hell of a time creating a bootable Windows USB since all I had to work with was a Mac. So after two days of wrestling with it I decided to instead create an Ubuntu boot drive and installed Ubuntu on my PC. I then proceeded to download WinUSB in Ubuntu and create a bootable Windows USB, which I used to erase Ubuntu and install Windows 8.

This painful experience of trying to get Mac to do something it just wouldn't let me do, followed by the seamless experience of doing it quickly and efficiently on Ubuntu, has sparked my interest in trying out Linux. I got even more interested in Linux when I realized that my fresh Windows install wouldn't let me use my ethernet port without installing LAN drivers, whereas I was literally online within seconds of installing Ubuntu. I'm considering creating a partition on my new PC (I have a 1TB hard drive, so maybe allocating 50-100GB) on which I can play around with Linux and see how I like it.

Anyway, question time:

1. If I were to do this, what would be a good distro to start with? I know next to nothing about Linux or using Terminal commands, so I want a distro that has a nice, easy to navigate GUI to fall back on. However the whole point of trying out Linux is to learn how to do things in Terminal, so I definitely want the ability to play around with that and customize the system to my liking.

2. What is the best way to learn how to use Terminal? When I was trying to install things yesterday I was literally just copy-pasting commands without knowing what they did, which is a fantastic way to execute commands that may end up completely wrecking my PC. I want to understand what I'm typing in rather than just relying on other people to supply me with these commands. How do I do that?

3. Other than being more flexible and lightweight than Windows, what is Linux's main appeal? Why do you guys prefer it to other OS'es?

Thanks!

LaneDS

Anyway, question time:

1. If I were to do this, what would be a good distro to start with? I know next to nothing about Linux or using Terminal commands, so I want a distro that has a nice, easy to navigate GUI to fall back on. However the whole point of trying out Linux is to learn how to do things in Terminal, so I definitely want the ability to play around with that and customize the system to my liking.

2. What is the best way to learn how to use Terminal? When I was trying to install things yesterday I was literally just copy-pasting commands without knowing what they did, which is a fantastic way to execute commands that may end up completely wrecking my PC. I want to understand what I'm typing in rather than just relying on other people to supply me with these commands. How do I do that?

1. I think Ubuntu is probably a safe choice for a distro to start with that has what you're looking for (a nice GUI plus you can still use the terminal). I personally use Red Hat Enterprise Linux at work and rely on the terminal daily, so if you want a less pretty, more established distro you can get CentOS which is the consumer version essentially of RHEL. Or Fedora. Those are all RPM based whereas Ubuntu is Debian based.

Pretty much picking any of the more well known distros will be fine for what you're getting at.

2. Best way to get good at using the terminal is probably not having a GUI to use. You can set the system into a lower run level where you don't have access to the X11 windowing system. You can accomplish quite a bit that way and it is, in my opinion, the best way to get familiar with command line interface stuff.

That only answers part of your question though, because it doesn't address that "what am I doing?" feeling. Others will have different answers, but even though "linux" is in my job title I still often find myself asking that question. The good news is that there are enough resources out there in the form of websites, books, classes, and "man pages" that you can usually figure out what is what. I don't have a great jumping off point for you but do encourage you to read up on things as you come up with questions and you will learn from there slowly but surely (maybe not even slowly).

Also "man pages". If you had a binary package, like "ls", "top", or "less", you might type "man ls" in a terminal window which will (usually) bring up a wealth of knowledge about what ls does. Oftentimes in way more detail than you might actually want. It'll let you know what the options do and many other useful things.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. I was considering Ubuntu, since it's really popular, as well as Mint, since I've read it's beginner friendly. I don't think I'm ready to jump into a GUI-less environment just yet haha, but maybe I'll ease my way into it over time.

Man pages are interesting, I didn't realize that was a thing haha.

One more question: if I decide I don't like Linux, would I be able to "reclaim" that partition for Windows? Or will that partition forever remain separate until I reformat the entire hard drive and reinstall Windows?

ricki42

Since you already have Ubuntu, you might as well give that a try. I'm currently running Xubuntu on my gaming PC and Fedora (also Xfce) on my laptop. Both are easy to use. I started out with Mandriva, which was really noob-friendly I thought, but doesn't really exist anymore. I don't know if Mageia (forked from Mandriva) is similarly easy to use.

What I did was mainly just google for what I wanted to do and then read up on that a bit. Like if there is any task you have to do repeatedly, try writing loop or a shell script. Just start doing things like listing, copying and renaming files from the command line. Maybe not the most efficient way, but so far it has worked for me and I haven't put any special effort into it.

3. Other than being more flexible and lightweight than Windows, what is Linux's main appeal? Why do you guys prefer it to other OS'es?

I can do what I want with it. I can play around and customize as much or as little as I want. It works without much hassle, but if I want something different, I can do that. I can choose a distro I like with whatever desktop I want. Instead of 'one size fits all' it's just 'assemble your own thing' while leaving you the 'one size fits all' option if you don't want to bother with customization. When I was still using Windows, I often felt like I had to do things the way the OS wanted me to do things, because that's how someone somewhere at MS thought it should be done. With Linux, I can use whatever works best for me.
Plus, I like using the command line. Scripts and aliases make life so much easier! I also have to do quite a bit of coding and compiling for work, and again, it's so much easier on Linux to install compilers and libraries from the package manager.

Thanks. I was considering Ubuntu, since it's really popular, as well as Mint, since I've read it's beginner friendly. I don't think I'm ready to jump into a GUI-less environment just yet haha, but maybe I'll ease my way into it over time.

Man pages are interesting, I didn't realize that was a thing haha.

One more question: if I decide I don't like Linux, would I be able to "reclaim" that partition for Windows? Or will that partition forever remain separate until I reformat the entire hard drive and reinstall Windows?

The Gnome environment (Gnome Ubuntu) is also popular. I like it because it feels incredibly unique from Mac and Windows, yet still easy to understand.

You could reclaim that part of the drive from Windows' hard drive partition utility so you don't have to worry about that.

As for the terminal, I installed Crunchbang on my laptop and accidently pressed the option to erase the whole drive which left me with no other choice. Crunchbang uses the Openbox window manager which heavily prioritizes the terminal for anything useful. That option sucks, but it was really useful for teaching me terminal commands. (Plus Openbox is a great window manager!)

phoenixyz

I'm considering creating a partition on my new PC (I have a 1TB hard drive, so maybe allocating 50-100GB) on which I can play around with Linux and see how I like it.

Naw man, don't do that. Install it in a VM instead. So you can distro hop and not worry about breaking things terribly.

Slavik81

1. I think Ubuntu is probably a safe choice for a distro to start with that has what you're looking for (a nice GUI plus you can still use the terminal). I personally use Red Hat Enterprise Linux at work and rely on the terminal daily, so if you want a less pretty, more established distro you can get CentOS which is the consumer version essentially of RHEL. Or Fedora. Those are all RPM based whereas Ubuntu is Debian based.
CentOS is short for Community Enterprise Operating System. Since it still has 'enterprise' in the name, I probably wouldn't call it the consumer version. 'The free version' is probably more accurate. That said, if you want a system that never changes aside from getting security updates and bug-fixes, it's fine to use it even as a consumer. It'll last you a solid decade.

www.explainshell.com is a nice place to paste those commands. It's not perfect, and it basically just searches through man pages and presents them in a nice way, but I still like it as a first-step to understanding a complex command.

Aside from that, read the man pages, search google. Write scripts and learn as you go.

Package management. For most programs I can learn about its existance and install it from the command line in a few seconds. No searching google for a download link, or looking for legit download links on pages covered in ads. No clicking through 'next' in the installer. The vast majority of software is installed and updated with the same handful of commands.

File systems. It's much nicer when dealing with files on Linux. You don't need to worry about files being open when you delete them. Applications that have the file open will still be able to access the file, but it will be gone for everyone else.

A command line that doesn't suck. When putting together a guide on how to do something, the Windows version is usually like 20 screenshots of menus you need to navigate to find the right button to hit. On Linux it's typically just a command for you to copy/paste.

I have mixed Windows / Linux network at home, and while I have had success with Samba to share the Linux file server with my Windows stations, I'm trying to set up NFS to share the drives among the Linux machines.

I seem to be running in trouble though, I'm not sure what I missed, but I keep getting "access denied by server while mounting". I'll cover what I did:

1) On the file server (LUbuntu) I installed the NFS server (sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server).

2) I added a simple share to the /etc/exports file:

/media/oracledragon/datadrive/backup 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro)

3) Restart the NFS server (service nfs-kernel-server restart)

4) Even though the restart indicates it udpates the export, I did it again anyways (exportfs -a).

5) On the client machine (XUbuntu) I install the NFS client tools (apt-get install nfs-common).

6) I check what is being offered by the remote machine and it indicates the export is ok:

showmount -e 192.168.1.100

/media/oracledragon/datadrive/backup 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

7) Finally, I try and mount the remote share, not in fstab, just in the shell for the time being:

mount 192.168.1.100:/media/oracledragon/datadrive/backup ~/Backup

(the ~/Backup directory exists on my client machine).

8) This fails:

"mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.100:/media/oracledragon/datadrive/backup"

Has anyone set up an NFS share before? I feel like I'm probably missing something basic, but so far aside from the above steps I have not seen anything extra on the various articles and Ubuntu community postings, etc., that I have read.

LaneDS

Try the basic stuff like make sure iptables isn't running on either machine to rule that out. Also, is SELinux enabled on either system? If so, try with it disabled.

You might need to specify additional options on your mount command, like -t nfs, but I doubt that's it. Anything else in /var/log/messages that gives additional clues?

Overall though, to your last point, that's pretty much the process for setting up NFS shares. I don't see anything major that you missed, thus the shot in the dark guesses suggested above.

Hi!
I've inherited a Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 server (at work) with a strange repository setup (about 800 of the 1400 installed packages come from openSUSE 11.4 repositories, the rest being from assorted SLES repos, the situation is similar to what's described in this thread). In its current state, the machine is kind of borked (all repositories are out of date) and I've got a couple of questions:
1. What's the best way for me to upgrade the machine to SLES 11 SP3? I really don't want to break things, since this is a production machine. Further complicating matters, SLES runs virtualized on VMware.
2. Are there any packages that are in the openSUSE-11.4-OSS repository that are not in the SLES repositories? That is, if I remove the openSUSE repos, would any packages not be updated at all anymore? Also, if yes, is there a way for me to check if there are any installed packages that would be impacted by removing a repository?

Here's my 'zypper repos -d' output:
http://pastebin.com/U17ZFqBg

I've posted the same thing in the official Suse forums but I haven't gotten a reply in a few days, maybe someone can help me here. I wish I could just install Ubunutu on that machine, would make everything a lot easier.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you just inherited it I'd do a couple of things.

1) Do NOT let this issue linger

First of SP1 is really out of date, and that's really bad for a production machine in terms of security as well as bug fixes

Secondly the longer you wait the more it's on you to fix and less of an "inherited" problem.

2) Ask your boss or whomever if you can try and get a 2nd machine up and running in parallel and either just roll with Suse 12 since that hit a month ago or else switch to Debian/Ubuntu or RHEL/Cent depending upon your comfort and needs.

Then you can try and basically mirror the production machine before you do a switch out.

3) Quite franly with all of the SUSE buy outs I'd probably just ditch. Either way you can stay with this half backed machine. Just read the similar comments in that thread you linked.

Your boss has to decide whether to revert to the original SLES, or to
switch to openSUSE 11.4, and then upgrade in about a month to 13.1, as
11.4 goes out of support.

You can not stay midway.

Honestly you are probably gonna break SOMETHING, but the sooner you do break shit the less it'll be on you and the more it's just shitty management from whomever formerly ran this server.

If you just inherited it I'd do a couple of things.

1) Do NOT let this issue linger

First of SP1 is really out of date, and that's really bad for a production machine in terms of security as well as bug fixes

Secondly the longer you wait the more it's on you to fix and less of an "inherited" problem.

2) Ask your boss or whomever if you can try and get a 2nd machine up and running in parallel and either just roll with Suse 12 since that hit a month ago or else switch to Debian/Ubuntu or RHEL/Cent depending upon your comfort and needs.

Then you can try and basically mirror the production machine before you do a switch out.

3) Quite franly with all of the SUSE buy outs I'd probably just ditch. Either way you can stay with this half backed machine. Just read the similar comments in that thread you linked.

Honestly you are probably gonna break SOMETHING, but the sooner you do break shit the less it'll be on you and the more it's just shitty management from whomever formerly ran this server.

Thanks for the answer. Sadly, switching distribution is not an option currently because the last time they did that (I wasn't with the company then) the server was basically unavailable for a week and my boss doesn't want this to happen again. I've read that thread and I'm aware it's quite urgent at this point. I wish I could just use Ubuntu LTS because I don't really like Zypper.
I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it and then deal with the potential problems. (I'm actually employed as a software tester, not a sysop but I noticed that there was a problem with the server when I tried to update Firefox and it wouldn't install a recent version)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Alright, so my server situation is now as follows.. I asked IT for a copy of the build server (it's running in a VM, so they just had to create a snapshot and put it online). I then tried to put the server into a consistent state but it just seems like the whole thing is completely fucked. I removed the OpenSUSE repos and tried to put everything on the SLES repositories by doing zypper dup, but that somehow managed to make both zypper and rpm unusable because they couldn't find a shared library file. Running ldconfig fixed that problem, luckily.
Next, I tried to install all of the SLES SP1 patches, which didn't work because rpm was crashing with segmentation faults (?!?) at a certain point every time I ran that. As far as I'm concerned, the server is completely borked. It's a really shitty situation because no one in this company (+ our parent company that manages the IT) knows SLES and we're stuck with this awful server. Looks like I'll have to convince some people to move to a different distribution.

ricki42

Bumping this because I would like to upgrade but don't want to run into this Secure Boot Violation again.

So last night I tried to upgrade from Xubuntu 14.04 to 14.10. I used the update-manager, and it all seemed to go well. But when I rebooted, I got this:

I have no clue what went wrong there. I reinstalled 14.10 from USB, but same result. So I installed 14.04 again. Red error screen gone, but still didn't boot. I also noticed that the mouse no longer worked in the BIOS. I removed the motherboard battery and cleared the CMOS. BIOS was OK again, but still no boot. I ended up reinstalling 14.04 yet again, and that finally worked.

So now I'm basically back where I was, minus a bunch of modified configuration files.
Does anyone know what went wrong here and how I can fix that? The motherboard is an Asus Z97-A. I flashed a newer BIOS version a while back, but 14.04 doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Also, is there (or has there ever been) a Linux gaming thread?

Bumping this because I would like to upgrade but don't want to run into this Secure Boot Violation again.

Also, is there (or has there ever been) a Linux gaming thread?
Is there a reason you don't want to disable secure boot or have you already done that?

And no, there has not.

ricki42

Is there a reason you don't want to disable secure boot or have you already done that?

No reason other than I didn't know I could. When I googled the error message I mostly just found answers referring to dual-boot systems, which doesn't help.
I just checked the BIOS, and it doesn't seem to have the option to simply disable Secure Boot, but there is an option to change the 'OS Type' from 'Windows UEFI mode' to 'Other OS'. I guess I could give that a try, sounds like it basically disables secure boot.
I'm still puzzled though that it works with 14.04 but not with 14.10. Should I have cleared the keys in BIOS?

No reason other than I didn't know I could. When I googled the error message I mostly just found answers referring to dual-boot systems, which doesn't help.
I just checked the BIOS, and it doesn't seem to have the option to simply disable Secure Boot, but there is an option to change the 'OS Type' from 'Windows UEFI mode' to 'Other OS'. I guess I could give that a try, sounds like it basically disables secure boot.
I'm still puzzled though that it works with 14.04 but not with 14.10. Should I have cleared the keys in BIOS?
OS's break. Ubuntu is known for having some quirky bugs every release.

Read up on your motherboard's options to be sure, but that sounds like secure boot in hiding. As far as I understand it, Ubuntu is the only distribution that works with it because of Canonical's efforts. You could keep it and dig through why it's not working, limiting you to Ubuntu's community, or disable it and work fine like every other Linux distro.

Top Bottom