• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

itxaka

Defeatist
Ubuntu, are you kidding me?

PbQeY.png

It says that it can't install the program because is of bad quality.

The reasons it claims are laughable. It's freaking skype. Come on son.

Doesn't seem to be any way around it so you have to install it trough dpkg, which I don't think people would be happy to do. There isn't even a button "I understand the risk, let me install it".

So what, no more debs? Or this is just a strange issue?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
seb said:
New feature (lintian check, whatever it is), new bugs...
They're working on it apparently: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/712377

Thanks for the heads up! Good info to know in case I try this.

I'm debating if I should upgrade my Ubuntu 10.10 install to 11.04. Not sure how easy that will be.

PS: You guys should go into the Ubuntu Gloabl Jam channel on IRC and bring this bug up. Maybe we can fix it this weekend during the Jam!

peakish

Considering how big a change Unity is, maybe they should have made Natty 11.06 instead? Though that might soil the nice memory of Dapper ;)

Pctx

Banned
Brettison said:
Thanks for the heads up! Good info to know in case I try this.

I'm debating if I should upgrade my Ubuntu 10.10 install to 11.04. Not sure how easy that will be.

PS: You guys should go into the Ubuntu Gloabl Jam channel on IRC and bring this bug up. Maybe we can fix it this weekend during the Jam!
I'm debating the same thing. Almost thing I'm going to go with a clean install of 11.04 just to be on the safe side.

itxaka

Defeatist
Don't upgrade guys. If there is a really weak point in ubuntu is the upgrading process.

A clean install is much much better. Plus the only thing you'll need is your home directory and you should already had that as a separate partition for convenience.

One thing I noticed that I think is new, is that it doesn't ask you to install languages at the start as usual. You have to go to the language setting and then it asks. It also makes sure that your folders are localized if you change language so it automatically creates and sets as default the usual downloads, images, videos and such folders. It doesn't remove the old ones which is appreciated, but it should move everything from them IMO

That is a papercut for sure :D

itxaka said:
Don't upgrade guys. If there is a really weak point in ubuntu is the upgrading process.

A clean install is much much better. Plus the only thing you'll need is your home directory and you should already had that as a separate partition for convenience.
I haven't had major problems with upgrades from 8.04 onwards. Even so, a clean install is always going to be better. (this application is now included by default instead of this one. Congrats, you now have twice as much crap on your system)

However... I'm going to take issue with you (apparently) expecting upgrading to a beta to work. I don't care if Ubuntu says the beta upgrade should work, there's no way in hell I'd trust it to do the right thing. They just want people to try it so they can find the upgrade bugs. ;>

markot

Banned
I dont get Ubuntus thingy, it just seems like a crappier version of Gnome 3 >.>

Tried Ubuntus beta, and currently im trying Fedoras alpha, and Fedora just seems better with Gnome 3 than Ubuntu with its... winsows task bar on the side but less useful approach >.<

itxaka

Defeatist
Elfforkusu said:
I haven't had major problems with upgrades from 8.04 onwards. Even so, a clean install is always going to be better. (this application is now included by default instead of this one. Congrats, you now have twice as much crap on your system)

However... I'm going to take issue with you (apparently) expecting upgrading to a beta to work. I don't care if Ubuntu says the beta upgrade should work, there's no way in hell I'd trust it to do the right thing. They just want people to try it so they can find the upgrade bugs. ;>

Then you are lucky as hell. I had problems in each of the upgrades since 4.04 (holy shit, 7 years already? wtf).

It always seemed to go well until I saw screenshots of other systems and thought "wtf, my desktop doesn't look like that. I don't have that thing. That doesn't work on mine".

That is why I always recommend a separate home partition and a clean install with ubuntu. I guess it's an old habit :D

panda21

itxaka said:
It always seemed to go well until I saw screenshots of other systems and thought "wtf, my desktop doesn't look like that. I don't have that thing. That doesn't work on mine".

yeah i've definitely noticed that with ubuntu

Vanillalite

I decided fuck it and I'll wait. It's only a few weeks to the actual release anyways. I'll just roll with 10.10 for now and upgrade at release.

Vanillalite

So my favorite small distro got an update over the weekend. It's weird it's not huge number wise or feature wise, but it's got more upgrades and bug fixes than I originally thought. That being Puppy Linux which released 5.2.5!

This is the distro I always use if I ever need to fix shit. It's my go to live distro that I always have on hand, and I've used a shit ton of times to fix not only my own fucks ups but many others. I dare say that this might be *gasp* my favorite nix distro as crazy as that sounds. :p

Anyways I didn't realize it had updated till today. I'll update my version to keep on hand later when I get home.

angelfly

Brettison said:
So my favorite small distro got an update over the weekend. It's weird it's not huge number wise or feature wise, but it's got more upgrades and bug fixes than I originally thought. That being Puppy Linux which released 5.2.5!

This is the distro I always use if I ever need to fix shit. It's my go to live distro that I always have on hand, and I've used a shit ton of times to fix not only my own fucks ups but many others. I dare say that this might be *gasp* my favorite nix distro as crazy as that sounds. :p

Anyways I didn't realize it had updated till today. I'll update my version to keep on hand later when I get home.
Ever give System Rescue CD a try?

Vanillalite

angelfly said:
Ever give System Rescue CD a try?

Yeah I've actually used a couple of distros like this, but I tend to gravitate towards something that attempts to be a normal distro with a gui and all. Just light weight and works on most everything.

I just grabbed the new version, and IDK I swore I had 5.2 before, but I'm thinking now maybe I just had 5.1.1 or something. Anyways shit was extremely polished when I loaded up, and the way it auto detected my settings for my gpu and monitor seemed WAAAAYYY better than before. Also they've come along way with version 5 in general in terms of icons and stuff. Just looks much more up to date and clean. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I had a spin on Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 today. Yup, one year later, I still hate Unity. Once it becomes my main OS, first thing to do is go back to vanilla Gnome.

Schlep

Myke Greywolf said:
I had a spin on Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 today. Yup, one year later, I still hate Unity. Once it becomes my main OS, first thing to do is go back to vanilla Gnome.
You're making Ubuntu your main OS knowing that 11.04 is the last release to ship with Gnome?

Myke Greywolf said:
I have bad news for you about Gnome...

Come to the dark side! Join the XFCE un-revolution!

Vanillalite

tycoonheart said:
I use rhythmbox currently and to me, Banshee and Rhythmbox are identical. The Amazon Cloud integration is pretty nice.

They pretty much are extremely similar. Banshee is actively being worked on though in comparison to Rhythmbox so that's the main reason a lot of distros are switching over. Honestly I still Rhythmbox in Ubuntu as it does everything I need, and has the built in hooks. I'll make the switch with 11.04 to Banshee for similar reasons in that it's fine for my needs, already installed, and has the built in hooks.

Oooh, Banshee looks nice, especially with Amazon Cloud integration. I've been using Clementine rather than Rhythmbox on Fedora because it works better for what I want now. Might have to try out Banshee now.

itxaka

Defeatist
Goddamm. Do not try ubuntu 11.04 if you have an Intel card. Not stable at all. What a difference with my build at home with an nvidia card.

-KRS-

itxaka said:
Goddamm. Do not try ubuntu 11.04 if you have an Intel card. Not stable at all. What a difference with my build at home with an nvidia card.

That's odd. You'd think with Intel's drivers being open and all that, that they wouldn't have any issues.

I've had issues with intel hardware and ubuntu before though so maybe not so surprising. When I upgraded to 8.10 there was an issue with my intel wlan card that made the whole system crash. It wasn't fixed for like 3-4 months.

itxaka

Defeatist
synt4x said:
That's odd. You'd think with Intel's drivers being open and all that, that they wouldn't have any issues.

I've had issues with intel hardware and ubuntu before though so maybe not so surprising. When I upgraded to 8.10 there was an issue with my intel wlan card that made the whole system crash. It wasn't fixed for like 3-4 months.

Actually it seems to be with one of the intel cards (q45 or something like that) as I just installed 11.04 on my eeepc with an intel card and it works. Kind of. Much more inestable than with a nvidia card as I had a couple of hangs already but its nowhere as bad as with that strange q45 intel card.

Still, doesn't seems like the video driver for intel is really good this time. Usually they were the first ones to have everything (drm, kms) and the msot stable.

Had to fill up a couple of bugs. Unity shell is driving me crazy. I can't pin apps into the sidebar xD, anyone else with the same problem? I don't have this at home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6xzNRP1IU0

thcsquad

Banshee by default is awesome, but I'm either changing back to the Gnome classic desktop or jumping distros (Fedora maybe?)

Vanillalite

thcsquad said:
Banshee by default is awesome, but I'm either changing back to the Gnome classic desktop or jumping distros (Fedora maybe?)

Fedora will probably be THE desktop Gnome 3 distro when it goes stable in a month. That being said if they get meta packages done for Debian you could always default back to that even though it would be similar to sticking with Ubuntu and installing Gnome over top (though not exactly the same as Debian plans to support Gnome 3 unlike Ubuntu). I mean Gnome 2 isn't gonna be supported forever so Debian has to make the switch even though they are slow. :p

On the same note though honestly I'd probably just switch to mint. I just think it's an extremely user friendly desktop distro though. The hardcore probably might not like it, but I think it just works extremely well. Plus their GUI is heavily customized to be their own so I don't see Gnome or Unity or really anything effect them. They just take a base and modify the fuck out of it already anyways. (I always though Mint reminded me of Windows and KDE to an extent.)

itxaka

Defeatist
Decided, Im moving to Fedora.

Tried Fedora 15 alpha. It's not like I am in love with gnome 3, it can be better. Is not that is the fastest distro out there but goddam it runs much better on an eeepc than ubuntu. And now it doesn't look like mandrake 6 thanks to gnome 3.

And the best feature ever. Presto Delta. About fucking time.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Presto

Had to download 78Mb of updates just after installing the alpha. Thanks to delta it went down to 26Mb.

EDIT: CentOS 5.6 has finally being launched! SysAdmins get ready to upgrade!
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-April/017282.html

Maybe we will see Centos 6 sometime next year lol

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
Decided, Im moving to Fedora.

Tried Fedora 15 alpha. It's not like I am in love with gnome 3, it can be better. Is not that is the fastest distro out there but goddam it runs much better on an eeepc than ubuntu. And now it doesn't look like mandrake 6 thanks to gnome 3.

And the best feature ever. Presto Delta. About fucking time.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Presto

Had to download 78Mb of updates just after installing the alpha. Thanks to delta it went down to 26Mb.

EDIT: CentOS 5.6 has finally being launched! SysAdmins get ready to upgrade!
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-April/017282.html

Maybe we will see Centos 6 sometime next year lol

I'm surprised you're using either honestly with an eeepc. I figured you'd either run something like Jolicloud, just run an alternative spin running say XFCE or Lubuntu, or just run say DSL or Puppy instead.

Vanillalite

Okay so I got bored, and I'm using Crunchbang for the 1st time. The new version aka 10 is now straight debian based instead of Ubuntu.

IDK I am posting from the Live CD and simultaneously love the fuck out of this and hate the fuck out this. LOVE the minimalist style. LOVE the menu style. It's what I sort of wanted Bodhi and Enlightment to be, but you know actually GOOD!

On the same note... WTF is up with the keyboard settings? Fucking shit doesn't auto detect and therefore I had weird ass default keyboard layout. Also openbox seems light weight so wtf @ the distro being so large in file size. Also while I don't love synaptic it works fine, but wtf at programs installing, but not being added to the menu? I just wanted to install Empathy and Banshee, and when I installed Empathy it didn't get added to the menu. It's just in the usr/bin folder?

EDIT: Also how the fuck do you go about updating this shit? IDK I sort of love the idea of the openbox setup. I also like the icons and the fonts which I usually hate. It's like it wants to be a GUI though and yet make you do everything manually which confuses me. LOL

thcsquad

I might even switch to an alternate distro like that. It would be interesting to try without an applications menu panel at all. Here's how I would ideally start programs:

A dedicated one-line terminal 'window' on a panel somewhere, that's always in /usr/bin(Unity kind of has the right idea, but that thing is so freaking slow that it's pointless). Preserving tab completion is crucial here: When I want to start KDevelop, I should be able to type 'kdev TAB', hit enter immediately, and it opens. Also, this terminal line should have it's own *global* keyboard shortcut. You know how Ctrl+L always brings you to the bar you want in most browsers? I want that, but to search for programs to launch.

Is there any addon, widget, or distro that would allow me to do this? I'd switch to that in a second because program launching is quite possibly the most important usability factor for me on the distro level.

Just found out I have to build a Lamp Server for my company who is going to use it as a web server. I have 0 experience with Linux and two weeks to complete this task. Any suggestions where to start?

Massa

MWS Natural said:
Just found out I have to build a Lamp Server for my company who is going to use it as a web server. I have 0 experience with Linux and two weeks to complete this task. Any suggestions where to start?

That shouldn't be too hard. I'd recommend starting with the latest Debian stable release, easy enough to use with lots of documentation online.

dude

dude
I don't think I'd find Unity as objectionable if there were some themes to make it look less like ass.

Also, if it didn't have the annoying Mac-like panel at the top.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
I'm surprised you're using either honestly with an eeepc. I figured you'd either run something like Jolicloud, just run an alternative spin running say XFCE or Lubuntu, or just run say DSL or Puppy instead.

I need my tools, my command line and shit. Don't like either puppy nor DSL. I gre tired of LXDE/XFCE/Openbox/Awesome, etc..

I still have a small 5Gb partition with Arch on it + XFCE4 just in case. Still too much fiddling with XFCE to make a usb automount. I kid you not, 30k manuals about usb automount and they all fail to mention thunar-volman.

http://howtoforge.com/howtos/web-server

Sew

MWS Natural said:
I've just started down this path myself. I've got a book called Setting Up LAMP - Getting Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP Working Together. If you've got some PC smarts but little Linux knowledge, it's the ideal book. It's a little dated now (2004) but that doesn't really matter.

itxaka

Defeatist
OMG! I can't believe I missed this.

On unity one of my worst things was the inability to launch a second instance of the application. I work with several terminals open so it was a pain in the ass.

And just now I learned that middle-click on the sidebar will open another instance of the app.

They should bundle a small manual of unity with the 11.04 release because if not this shit is difficult to find about.

In other news, ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs have merged. One ntfs lib(?) to rule them all!

Vanillalite

In other news I got bored having to fuck with Crunchbang, booted into Ubuntu, was extremely tired, and just randomly typed in the update command... yeah I got lame and finally decided to just try the upgrade path to 11.04 beta 1 (why I didn't wait like 2 or 3 days for beta 2 IDK).

Honestly so far *FLAME SUIT ON!* it's working and way smoother than the alpha I tried that crashed on me all the time, and it's not nearly as offensive as initially thought. Dear I say I'm liking this better than my Gnome 3 trial run. I am digging no bottom panel by default. Gives you more usable space, and so far no big issues. Need more time to test obviously... *RUNS AND HIDES IN HIS BUNKER!

Red

How does Banshee compare to Guayadeque?

Just got Banshee 2.0. Amazon Cloud support elevates it above everything else IMO, but for some reason my songs are cutting off about fifteen seconds in? I can move the cursor to certain parts of the song, but Banshee stops playing after a short while. It doesn't say it's paused, but the timer stops moving. This only applies to Amazon Cloud music as far as I can tell.

Also, is there a lyrics resource?

Vanillalite

Crunched said:
How does Banshee compare to Guayadeque?

Just got Banshee 2.0. Amazon Cloud support elevates it above everything else IMO, but for some reason my songs are cutting off about fifteen seconds in? I can move the cursor to certain parts of the song, but Banshee stops playing after a short while. It doesn't say it's paused, but the timer stops moving. This only applies to Amazon Cloud music as far as I can tell.

Also, is there a lyrics resource?

There is a lyric's extension.

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
OMG! I can't believe I missed this.

On unity one of my worst things was the inability to launch a second instance of the application. I work with several terminals open so it was a pain in the ass.

And just now I learned that middle-click on the sidebar will open another instance of the app.

They should bundle a small manual of unity with the 11.04 release because if not this shit is difficult to find about.

In other news, ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs have merged. One ntfs lib(?) to rule them all!

They are constantly changing shit to. They just changed the default behavior for the launcher again.

That being said we got some good news today at least IMO. Chrom(e)/ium is now gonna roll with the default theme! So no more ugly orange bar that I hated.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
They are constantly changing shit to. They just changed the default behavior for the launcher again.

That being said we got some good news today at least IMO. Chrom(e)/ium is now gonna roll with the default theme! So no more ugly orange bar that I hated.

I thought that when entering beta there would be no more changes to features/behavior and it was bugfix time?

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
I thought that when entering beta there would be no more changes to features/behavior and it was bugfix time?

That's how it SHOULD be, but it's obvious they need as much time as they can get this release, but can't back off the every 6 months cycle Canonical is on with Ubuntu. I mean OMGUbuntu had the big article about getting a bunch of changes, and sure enough when I came home I had like 150 mbs of downloads for the beta.

peakish

I've really gotten used to Gnome Shell quickly. I worked on my W7 laptop today and constantly tried switching workspaces. Ended up swearing quite a bit under my breath about not being able to order all my software in workspaces.

And yeah, workspaces weren't created for Gnome Shell and I was basically forced to learn to use them now, but being really encouraged to do that along with being able to create this dynamically and stuff really helped my transition. I don't miss the task bar at all.

Huge applauds to the Gnome team from me. I was looking forward to Unity and will still try it but can't really feel excited about it after this.

Gosh I don't think I've been as excited about anything desktop-wise since I noticed that icons in the W7 taskbar changes colour to what the contained icon uses when the mouse hovers over it

norinrad

correct me if am wrong but why does Fedora claim you can install their live CD to the hard drive from scratch and yet when i try it i keep getting only the LIVE CD option with absolutely no option that allows me to wipe out my hard drive for a clean install of Fedora?

Top Bottom