• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

I find myself in no hurry at all to upgrade my OS. I just don't see the benefit-- the OS is pretty darned stable for me and does what I want already.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I'm debating on if I'm gonna go to my closest Linux Festival. I've always wanted to go to one of these things, and mingle with the fellow Linux nerds. At the same point though I'm not a hardcore stringent FOSS guy, and my computer skills aren't that great. I feel like I'd be a fish out of water at one of these things. They are holding South East Linux Fest in Spartanburg SC in mid June, and I could drive there just for one of the 3 days. They also are supposedly holding an UbuCon there as well on Friday and Sunday which piqued my interest.

I'm probably gonna puss out and not go though. Sorry Linux GAF I just don't feel I meet the requirements to go to something like this. :/

angelfly

I've gone to Linux World, LinuxCon, LibrePlanet, and a few others along with local events like installfest and local LUG meetings. The crowd is always varied across the board (although not so much at LibrePlanet). You should definitely go if you can since they're always fun and most of the time you'll learn a lot from the talks. It's not like anyone is going to point at you and say "LOOK it's a newbie!" or tell you to "RTFM" for not knowing something. You'll find plenty of people there in the same position as you.

Vanillalite

angelfly said:
I've gone to Linux World, LinuxCon, LibrePlanet, and a few others along with local events like installfest and local LUG meetings. The crowd is always varied across the board (although not so much at LibrePlanet). You should definitely go if you can since they're always fun and most of the time you'll learn a lot from the talks. It's not like anyone is going to point at you and say "LOOK it's a newbie!" or tell you to "RTFM" for not knowing something. You'll find plenty of people there in the same position as you.

Yeah IDK.... LOL... I know they wouldn't scream "look the newb" but I'm not connected in anyway other than my curiosity and intrigue into GNU/Linux and such so I wouldn't feel like I'd have a reason to be there or know anyone else going...

Maybe I could convince a buddy to go I'd go hmmm....

I agree, just go and have fun Brettison. :)

All the open source peeps I've met have been amazingly friendly. Sure, the conversations will be geeky but either you'll know what they're talking about or you'll learn something new. It's great to talk with people who like the same things when most of your friends and family just aren't that interested. I'm not a super geek either (and far from an actual developer) but I never felt out of place.

(That isn't to say there aren't any bad apples, I'm sure there are some, especially since many geeks aren't social butterflies. But that's their problem, not yours. Again, I've never met anyone at a conference that wasn't welcoming and friendly to me.)

//Edit: also, the fact that not many people use Linux can be an advantage. Most people there will probably be excited you're into Linux at all. The hardest thing for me was talking to random people, because I'm generally quite shy. It may be helpful to meet up with someone else, even if you don't know them that well.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wow, Mint is getting fucking stronger in the last 6 months.

From distrowatch hits per page in the last 6 months:

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Ubuntu 2137
2 Mint 1932
3 Fedora 1492
4 Debian 1411
5 openSUSE 1294
6 Arch 904
7 Sabayon 845

If you go back 6 months, mint is much much lower than Ubuntu.

Will we have a fight between ubuntu and mint in popularity?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
itxaka said:

The Unity debacle is bringing many Ubuntu users to try Mint, because of its large similarities with Ubuntu and focus on ease of use and general appeal for the "normal" desktop user.

-KRS-

Brettison said:
Yeah IDK.... LOL... I know they wouldn't scream "look the newb" but I'm not connected in anyway other than my curiosity and intrigue into GNU/Linux and such so I wouldn't feel like I'd have a reason to be there or know anyone else going...

Maybe I could convince a buddy to go I'd go hmmm....

That's what I thought when I was going to attend a demoscene party for the first time. I'd never been to a demoparty before, didn't know anyone there and I didn't have a demo to show off. So I thought I would be an outcast there but I had a blast anyway and met a lot of new cool folks.

I was pretty nervous because there were a couple of "famous" chiptune musicians there, like Nullsleep and Random for example. But I asked them some questions about their NES Powerpak that they use to run their demos and after that it was cool :)

A good icebreaker is to just ask relevant questions and they'll mostly be happy to answer them, unless they're busy or something. Then you have a reason to keep talking and you can segway into other topics from there.

itxaka said:

Yeah, but that's distrowatch. It counts people who visit distrowatch, which is hardly representative.

(Nothing against Linux Mint btw, I wish those guys all the best.)

itxaka said:

As someone said that's distrowatch's poll. Doesn't Ubuntu compromise 50% of the Linux userbase?

itxaka

Defeatist
Suitcase Test said:
Yeah, but that's distrowatch. It counts people who visit distrowatch, which is hardly representative.

(Nothing against Linux Mint btw, I wish those guys all the best.)

As someone said that's distrowatch's poll. Doesn't Ubuntu compromise 50% of the Linux userbase?

Yes, it's only distrowatch. Im unaware of any other methods of gathering distro stats. Do you guys have any webpages that do this? Im really interested into looking at distro stats but I don't think is reported anywhere.

itxaka said:
Yes, it's only distrowatch. Im unaware of any other methods of gathering distro stats. Do you guys have any webpages that do this? Im really interested into looking at distro stats but I don't think is reported anywhere.
Not that I know of, no. :(

I know Fedora has some statistics here, but no idea how reliable those are. And Canonical has always been closelipped when it comes to Ubuntu numbers.

Okay so for some reason I turned on my computer and and the panel at the top is different. My name and the power button are gone. The option to turn off the computer is now under System, which I have seen in other Linux Distros but I liked the way ubuntu 10.10 had it.

Did this happen to anybody else or did I just accidently change some option that made this happen?

I included a picture of how my setup used to look and how it looks now.

Sew

ghostofsparta said:
Okay so for some reason I turned on my computer and and the panel at the top is different. My name and the power button are gone. The option to turn off the computer is now under System, which I have seen in other Linux Distros but I liked the way ubuntu 10.10 had it.

Did this happen to anybody else or did I just accidently change some option that made this happen?

I included a picture of how my setup used to look and how it looks now.

http://imgur.com/AVjCE
I've had this happen mysteriously too. Start the fast-user-switch-applet to restore it. (Hit Alt-F2 and paste that in). Make sure your session is saved on next logout and it should stay there.

Sew said:
I've had this happen mysteriously too. Start the fast-user-switch-applet to restore it. (Hit Alt-F2 and paste that in). Make sure your session is saved on next logout and it should stay there.

It appears as of fast-user-switch-applet is no longer available. I tried to copy and paste it into run but it couldn't find the applet so I tried to get it through the terminal and got this message

sudo apt-get install fast-user-switch-applet
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package fast-user-switch-applet is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
gdm indicator-applet-session

E: Package 'fast-user-switch-applet' has no installation candidate

So the next obvious thing to do is try and get indicator-applet-session. However it seems as if I already have that, so I tried to run it but it also can't find it.

I admit, I don't know what's going on :eek:

benjipwns

Banned
When I've seen that before one thing I did was pick a different theme and then pick the original theme again. Then either logout/in and restart.

Massa

ghostofsparta said:
Unfortunately that didn't work. :[ Thanks though.

You can reset your panel configuration to the default with the following command:
Code:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Finally giving Linux a real chance, and I'm liking it. There are annoying quirks here and there, but so far Ubuntu has been not bad. Learning a lot of new stuff with using terminal and i think Unity isn't too bad so far. I might try other distros after getting used to this more.

panda21

is it possible to change your wallpaper in gnome 3? according to the arch wiki you can do it by running some gconf command in the terminal but that seems crazy. surely there must be some way to change it from the UI??

peakish

panda21 said:
is it possible to change your wallpaper in gnome 3? according to the arch wiki you can do it by running some gconf command in the terminal but that seems crazy. surely there must be some way to change it from the UI??
It's an option in the System Settings, it's just about the only customizable thing right now though.

panda21

cool, thanks. I couldn't see any way to change start up items.. i have a bunch left over from gnome2 that i dont want anymore that i dont know how to get rid of since I cant see the option in system settings

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
BTW would you guys and gals like a Fedora 15 thread similar to my Ubuntu 11.04 thread at the end of this month?

Yep.

|OT| Of Fedora 15 with Gnome 3. When developers become UI designers.

It's an option in the System Settings, it's just about the only customizable thing right now though.

We can change themes also! It's a pain in the ass but oh well :(

MQstzl.jpg

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/orta-and-drakfire-caffe-amazing-new.html

peakish

panda21 said:
cool, thanks. I couldn't see any way to change start up items.. i have a bunch left over from gnome2 that i dont want anymore that i dont know how to get rid of since I cant see the option in system settings
IIRC correctly the session manager is available in Fallback mode, try booting into that and removing stuff there. Haven't tried this myself though.

itxaka said:
We can change themes also! It's a pain in the ass but oh well :(
Well in an OOTB GUI at least :p I've seen some great looking G3 skins available but I'm waiting a bit before trying them out.

Polari

itxaka said:
Yep.

|OT| Of Fedora 15 with Gnome 3. When developers become UI designers.

Really? I think GNOME 3 kicks ass, and it's only going to get better once Zeitgeist and Telepathy/Web Services are integrated into the dash. The Super key is your friend.

I've finally managed to get my Fedora 15 beta back from the depths of software doom (it wouldn't boot, couldn't get to runlevel 1, SELinux nonsense, etc). I've been using a mix of Ubuntu and Fedora recently and it's time to switch to one or the other, because going back and forth with files, passwords and downloads has gotten very annoying (especially since I've got these two plus Windows 7 and Vista on this tiny 200GB laptop).

I think I'm going with Fedora and GNOME 3. It's not I don't like Unity (in fact there are certain things I like better on Ubuntu) but GNOME 3 is pretty damn nice and I like the GNOME developers. :)

itxaka

Defeatist
Polari said:
Really? I think GNOME 3 kicks ass, and it's only going to get better once Zeitgeist and Telepathy/Web Services are integrated into the dash. The Super key is your friend.

Not that I don't like gnome 3, I love it but they are clearly not UI genius. There is way to many problems with the actual UI. Gnome 3.2 is the defenitive version.

Vanillalite

itxaka said:
Not that I don't like gnome 3, I love it but they are clearly not UI genius. There is way to many problems with the actual UI. Gnome 3.2 is the defenitive version.

What's puzzled me about this is compared to Unity which was tied to Canonical having to push it with the set Ubuntu 6 month release schedule (in phases at least), Gnome could take as long as they wanted. So why the rush to push out Gnome 3 as is verses taking say another 6 months, and having it more polished for the fall?

Massa

Brettison said:
What's puzzled me about this is compared to Unity which was tied to Canonical having to push it with the set Ubuntu 6 month release schedule (in phases at least), Gnome could take as long as they wanted. So why the rush to push out Gnome 3 as is verses taking say another 6 months, and having it more polished for the fall?

Ubuntu and GNOME both have a 6 month schedule. It's something Ubuntu kind of inhereted from GNOME, with the idea that each Ubuntu released would be synched to a new GNOME release.

GNOME 3.0 is far more polished than Unity anyway, at least imo. Unity feels like an amateur dock, like awn or cairo-dock.

Vanillalite

Massa said:
Ubuntu and GNOME both have a 6 month schedule. It's something Ubuntu kind of inhereted from GNOME, with the idea that each Ubuntu released would be synched to a new GNOME release.

GNOME 3.0 is far more polished than Unity anyway, at least imo. Unity feels like an amateur dock, like awn or cairo-dock.

They didn't have to push out Gnome 3 though. They could have just kept on with bug fixing 2.3X until Gnome 3 was ready though.

So far GNOME 3 feels like when KDE4 came out: nice to look at, somewhat improved but in dire need of refinement before it's ready for prime time. Granted, it's more polished than KDE4 was for its time, but KDE4 was such a mess initially I couldn't stand to use it until around KDE4.3.

Vanillalite

hikarutilmitt said:
So far GNOME 3 feels like when KDE4 came out: nice to look at, somewhat improved but in dire need of refinement before it's ready for prime time. Granted, it's more polished than KDE4 was for its time, but KDE4 was such a mess initially I couldn't stand to use it until around KDE4.3.

I sort of had the same logic, but didn't want to post that as I fell it's at least usable now unlike KDE 4.0. It's a solid base of ideas to build on though for sure.

PS: Unity isn't perfect either, but for me personally it's been less buggy.

Filth

i always wanted to try linux. i have no idea where to start.. i downloaded ubuntu and my laptop is ready. any advice? or just jump in?

Vanillalite

Philooch said:
i always wanted to try linux. i have no idea where to start.. i downloaded ubuntu and my laptop is ready. any advice? or just jump in?

Did you install it yet or not? If not I'd suggest either using one of the usb tools or burning the .iso to a disc and running it as a LIVE CD. This will just run the OS without an install so you can check things out as it may. It's not as fast or as nice as a real install, but you don't have to worry about hating it and having it already installed either.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Philooch said:

I just did that the other day and I'm actually enjoying the new Ubuntu release and Unity. Since we're new to Linux in general, there are annoying quirks here and there, but there should be fixes you can look up.

Filth

Brettison said:
Did you install it yet or not? If not I'd suggest either using one of the usb tools or burning the .iso to a disc and running it as a LIVE CD. This will just run the OS without an install so you can check things out as it may. It's not as fast or as nice as a real install, but you don't have to worry about hating it and having it already installed either.

oh sweet, i didnt install yet. i need to go look for my usb stick because i ran out of cd's. i have the usb loader program. but thanks for that info.

Sew

Gah, having such a bad run with Gnome 3. The first two machines I tried it on lacked proper GPU so it dumped me to fallback mode. Finally I tried Fedora 15 beta on my killer new laptop, and I couldn't get it to load/recognise ATI drivers. So I gave up and installed Xubuntu 11.04 (very nice).

From here I was able to install my ATI drivers along with Gnome 3. But starting a Gnome 3 session gives me a sparse, broken desktop. The top panel is there, I can access Applications, but it all seems empty and broken. And brown (?). I tried to take a screenshot but the gnome screenshot utility failed. Very funny.

Vanillalite

HOLY SHIT!!!

I'm trying out Xubuntu and ZOMG... this is FUCKING AMAZING!

IDK if it's because I haven't used Xubuntu in forever, XFCE in forever, or XFCE 4.8 is just THAT good. Shiiiitttt this is fucking A to the WESOME though. If you want an old school like interface that still feels modern and runs like a beast I'd highly recommend checking out Xubuntu!

This is the only big release distro that is running 4.8 though so I can't say if it's the release as a whole or XFCE 4.8. Still try out the live cd. I dare anyone to try and hate on this!

kamspy

My friend at work is well versed in DOS-WinXp. He needs an OS, and doesn't have any money. I put the Ubuntu install on a flash drive. is he gonna have any trouble?

Sew

+1 Brettison :)

Xubuntu has always been a little nicer than a vanilla XFCE4 desktop, but the Xubuntu 11.04 + XFCE4.8 combo takes it to the next level. It's all the small things: New Thunar features (network browser and eject buttons to name two), better desktop customisation, the default greybird (*cough*osx) theme, it all flows together into something utterly lovely.

@kampspy - If he's comfortable with computers, I think he'll be fine.

Brettison said:
HOLY SHIT!!!

I'm trying out Xubuntu and ZOMG... this is FUCKING AMAZING!

IDK if it's because I haven't used Xubuntu in forever, XFCE in forever, or XFCE 4.8 is just THAT good. Shiiiitttt this is fucking A to the WESOME though. If you want an old school like interface that still feels modern and runs like a beast I'd highly recommend checking out Xubuntu!

This is the only big release distro that is running 4.8 though so I can't say if it's the release as a whole or XFCE 4.8. Still try out the live cd. I dare anyone to try and hate on this!
Welcome to the dark side, my Xubuntu brother. *brofist*

Vanillalite

If Xubuntu had the notification system that regular Ubuntu does for stuff like say IMs and shit it would be virtually perfect IMO.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
If Xubuntu had the notification system that regular Ubuntu does for stuff like say IMs and shit it would be virtually perfect IMO.

Doesn't it? I remember testing it on xubuntu with notify-send

They didn't have to push out Gnome 3 though. They could have just kept on with bug fixing 2.3X until Gnome 3 was ready though.

After all the time working on it, the delays, the need of other projects to have a stable gtk3 framework and the unity "confrontation" they had to do it. Sucks but hey, I can't remember the latest big version of any software in linux that didn't suck (well actually kernel 2.6 but that is a different story)

Top Bottom