• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm back and better than ever with well more questions... LOL... sorry I pester you all so much Linux-GAF!!

22) When/Why do you need to setup a DNS server?

What would setting this up do for me? It never says you need to do this to SSH into your server so it makes me wonder why you'd need to.

23) How do you update wordpress?

Wordpress usually tells you when the next update is available and lets you update through the admin control panel. If your self hosting on your own server though does it work like this? Do you have to wait for the update to come into the repositories? Does it update through say aptitude instead?

24) Anything you can do to help stop say DDOS or Flooding?

Anything I can do to stop shit like that from happening on my server? Just hope I'm obscure enough? Should I even worry about something like this?

Brettison said:
22) When/Why do you need to setup a DNS server?

It is not necessary. You just use public DNS servers (unless you have custom machine names that you want machines on the network to know about, or if you want to more tightly monitor or control where people on your network are going). However, your web browsing can speed up a little if you install one locally, because it means your computer won't be asking some further-away machine to translate a hostname to an IP address every time you go on a website. Every time I need to visit google.com, my local DNS server rapidly tells the computer (because it remembers from last time the computer wanted it) that it's 72.14.204.147, so it can start grabbing data from that server immediately. Otherwise, there would be a delay while the computer contacts some other machine to do the same thing.

ninja edit: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are google's public DNS servers. They have served me well, even when I use a caching DNS server locally (pdnsd).

itxaka suggested fail2ban a while back. I haven't used it, but it and similar tools will add bad IP addresses to the internal firewall. fail2ban blocks IP addresses that fail multiple times at password attempts.

I've seen this suggested elsewhere: http://deflate.medialayer.com/
I know nothing about it, but it blocks based on how many concurrent connection a single IP makes to your server.

Jerk

Banned
GameplayWhore said:
...vim has menus? I'm out of the loop.

gvim does, and some plugins can add menu-type things to the original.

Brettison said:
23) How do you update wordpress?

Wordpress usually tells you when the next update is available and lets you update through the admin control panel. If your self hosting on your own server though does it work like this? Do you have to wait for the update to come into the repositories? Does it update through say aptitude instead?

Anything I can do to stop shit like that from happening on my server? Just hope I'm obscure enough? Should I even worry about something like this?

I suggest that you continue to use the admin panel to update Wordpress; that is the best way to keep it up to date as far as I know.

As for DDoS flooding, fail2ban works beautifully (as in right of the box).

Jerk

Banned
Anyone else using Gnome3?

I started to do so 2 weeks ago, and I am finding it to easily be one of the best desktop experiences in years.

All I need now are Widgets and a better way to customize the look and I will be in desktop heaven.

peakish

Jerk said:

I started to do so 2 weeks ago, and I am finding it to easily be one of the best desktop experiences in years.

All I need now are Widgets and a better way to customize the look and I will be in desktop heaven.
I love Gnome 3 with Shell. It looks great, has some neat integration of messaging, and the focus on workspaces instead of an ever-present task bar has taught and encouraged me to manage my work better than ever.

About customisation: Sadly, if I'm reading the mailing lists correctly theming and a lot of other similar stuff might be power user-only features moving on, never being integrated into standard Gnome. If that is true I can see the point behind it and installing the third-party Tweak Tool isn't a big deal for advanced users but removing that stuff does feel like a new direction for Linux projects. At least they're adding a nice solution for installing extensions through a web interface.

Anyway, can't wait for 3.2 which should make this excellent DE even better.

Jerk

Banned
peakish said:
I love Gnome 3 with Shell. It looks great, has some neat integration of messaging, and the focus on workspaces instead of an ever-present task bar has taught and encouraged me to manage my work better than ever.

About customisation: Sadly, if I'm reading the mailing lists correctly theming and a lot of other similar stuff might be power user-only features moving on, never being integrated into standard Gnome. If that is true I can see the point behind it and installing the third-party Tweak Tool isn't a big deal for advanced users but removing that stuff does feel like a new direction for Linux projects. At least they're adding a nice solution for installing extensions through a web interface.

Anyway, can't wait for 3.2 which should make this excellent DE even better.

Well, even the tweak tool is limited.

I suppose their logic is that they have little need to introduce many of those features themselves as the community usually does their own thing anyway.

Not a fan, but I understand.

peakish

Jerk said:
Well, even the tweak tool is limited.

I suppose their logic is that they have little need to introduce many of those features themselves as the community usually does their own thing anyway.

Not a fan, but I understand.
I think it's them wanting to push a specific visual identity for Gnome 3.

Gnome OS will be a step even further in that direction I guess.

angelfly

Jerk said:

I used it briefly and I didn't really like it. For me it put to much in the way that I didn't need. I really liked Gnome 2 even though I haven't been using it lately but 3 just doesn't work for me but I can see what some people like about it. I'd probably enjoy it more if spent more time with it and learned the keybindings, tweaks, etc.

Another GNOME 3 lover here. At first I was cautious, but it works very well for multitasking. On my laptop I find myself using alt+tab and alt+~ a lot, and it's lovely, though with a real mouse I use the "hot corner".

It's happened to me a few times already that I booted Windows and tried to flick my cursor to the top left.

Sew

^ Hehe :D

Anyhoo, help request. I'm having some strange performance issues with a brand new Xubuntu 11.04 install on an Asus Nova P20. It's never been a powerhouse of a machine, but I've run a heap of distros on it and this one of all should be running smoothly. Something's amiss.

Apps are really slow to start, menus are laggy and the mouse occasionally stalls or stutters. Just a minute ago it took about 30sec to recover from the screensaver! (video driver issue?) I've got System Monitor open to watch for CPU spikes, and I'm seeing some processes hit 10-15% here and there but I'm not really seeing a smoking gun.

Obviously I need to provide more information to get help with this, but I'm not sure where to look. Any pointers or requests? :)

Jerk

Banned
Suitcase Test said:
Another GNOME 3 lover here. At first I was cautious, but it works very well for multitasking. On my laptop I find myself using alt+tab and alt+~ a lot, and it's lovely, though with a real mouse I use the "hot corner".

It's happened to me a few times already that I booted Windows and tried to flick my cursor to the top left.

Same here.

Unfortunately, the Catalyst drivers for the higher end ATI cards are very glitchy with Gnome3, so I have unfortunately been unable to run it on my home PC, but I am quickly finding out that KDE 4.6 can be customized to actually beat gnome 3 at its own game. I now have six hot edges.

Sew said:
^ Hehe :D

Anyhoo, help request. I'm having some strange performance issues with a brand new Xubuntu 11.04 install on an Asus Nova P20. It's never been a powerhouse of a machine, but I've run a heap of distros on it and this one of all should be running smoothly. Something's amiss.

Apps are really slow to start, menus are laggy and the mouse occasionally stalls or stutters. Just a minute ago it took about 30sec to recover from the screensaver! (video driver issue?) I've got System Monitor open to watch for CPU spikes, and I'm seeing some processes hit 10-15% here and there but I'm not really seeing a smoking gun.

Obviously I need to provide more information to get help with this, but I'm not sure where to look. Any pointers or requests? :)

The problem is between Xorg, your driver and your environment. Not sure about the documentation for Ubuntu, but try to see if you can find some sort of tweak guide for your driver.

Vanillalite

Soooooo "supposedly" the power regression deal in the 2.6.38 is some conflict between the kernel and laptop bios' with regards to pci-e. It's working as intended, but there is a "fix" which makes me wonder if there is a "fix" is it really "working as intended". What do I know though!

Vanillalite

Anyone tried the 2nd Oneiric Ocelot alpha yet? I always stay away from the 1st alpha especially since the previous release is still new. By 2nd alpha sometimes I want to jump in and try out a live cd, but whenever I do I always come off going grrr shit is janky.

Think I'm just gonna wait it out for the beta this time.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Brettison said:
Anyone tried the 2nd Oneiric Ocelot alpha yet? I always stay away from the 1st alpha especially since the previous release is still new. By 2nd alpha sometimes I want to jump in and try out a live cd, but whenever I do I always come off going grrr shit is janky.

Think I'm just gonna wait it out for the beta this time.

I use it on my sandy bridge laptop since 11.04 locked up a lot on it because of the old kernel etc and so far it seems to be pretty stable. I have some issues with the sound menu and nautilus crashes a lot but I do most of my file work in a terminal anyway so I can live with that.

It's way more stable than 11.04 beta 1 was so it seems that 11.10 will be really nice once it's released.

Ok, I have been working in the terminal and I have no idea how to install celtx. The wiki I found explaining how to install it don't make much sense when I start going through file directories and trying to get the application working. Any ideas how I can get this program running?

itxaka

Defeatist
Benjillion said:
Ok, I have been working in the terminal and I have no idea how to install celtx. The wiki I found explaining how to install it don't make much sense when I start going through file directories and trying to get the application working. Any ideas how I can get this program running?

seems simple enough. Unpack and run.

tar xvf nameofthefile

cd extracteddirectory

sudo ./celtx

A bit more of info would be helpful here. Did you extract the package? did you cd into the directory which contains the celtx executable? did you used sudo to launch it?

Centos 6.0 finally making his way to the mirrors!
http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/105

Jerk

Banned
itxaka said:
seems simple enough. Unpack and run.

tar xvf nameofthefile

cd extracteddirectory

sudo ./celtx

A bit more of info would be helpful here. Did you extract the package? did you cd into the directory which contains the celtx executable? did you used sudo to launch it?

Centos 6.0 finally making his way to the mirrors!
http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/105

Very good.

Of course, my place of employment will probably not move from 5.6 for at least 6-8 more months hence, so I will not get to tinker with it professionally for a while.

itxaka

Defeatist
Elfforkusu said:
\o/

Took them long enough, geez.

Best part is, RedHat 6.1 is already on beta so it will be released shortly. Which means that Centos 6 is already insecure lol. You are better of with centos 5.6

I guess they will take less time from now on as they needed to prepare a 6.0 environment.

Anyone using ATi card in Linux? How is gaming with wine? I thought about installing Ubuntu and fooling around for a bit, but won't bother if I can't play anything with 5850... A few years ago I had a 8800 GT and it was great really, hopefully ATi have improved over the years

Vanillalite

Melhisedek said:
Anyone using ATi card in Linux? How is gaming with wine? I thought about installing Ubuntu and fooling around for a bit, but won't bother if I can't play anything with 5850... A few years ago I had a 8800 GT and it was great really, hopefully ATi have improved over the years

I have a 4XXX series card, but I don't use wine for gaming. I just either play a few native linux games or browser stuff like Quake Live or Revenge of the Titans. Then again I have two hdds with Win 7 on one and Ubuntu on the other (along with a small extra partition for ubuntu server to learn from). Setup works great for me. Plus team speak, ventrilo, and mumbler all have linux compatible clients or else a 3rd party client that works. So if I just want to hang and chat with my friends I still can even if I'm not in Windows to play steam shit.

peakish

A preview of (some?) changes in Gnome Shell 3.2 has been posted: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/news-from-gnome-shell-land/

- Integrated chat and messaging
- Notification counters
- Persistent workspace switcher
- Pretty window picker
- New login dialogs
- Typing notifications
- Clocks for multiple time zones
- User menu improvements
- Google Calendar integration
- Easier window resizing
- Pretty rounded window corners
- Integrated on-screen keyboard
- Hot plug hotness
- Performance improvements
A lot of small stuff that should be nice to have but no large changes or any Zeitgeist integration spotted. Maybe they're not ready to show that yet?

Pctx

Banned
I am so punch drunk in love with XFCE that everything else now seems.... bloated and boring. I'll tell you what though... Unity was a rushed POS of which I hope is fixed by the next Ubuntu release. Utter garbage that should have never been a major release.

panda21

peakish said:
A preview of (some?) changes in Gnome Shell 3.2 has been posted: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/news-from-gnome-shell-land/

A lot of small stuff that should be nice to have but no large changes or any Zeitgeist integration spotted. Maybe they're not ready to show that yet?

sounds cool. i liked gnome 3 a lot, but it just doesnt seem quite finished yet. I ran it on a machine that stays on 24/7 and after a while gnome-shell was using ~1.4GB of RAM. I switched back to xmonad and its amazing how much faster terminals launch etc. xmonad+xmobar+dmenu is a pretty great combo for work, although i wouldnt use it for a general desktop.

Pctx said:
I am so punch drunk in love with XFCE that everything else now seems.... bloated and boring. I'll tell you what though... Unity was a rushed POS of which I hope is fixed by the next Ubuntu release. Utter garbage that should have never been a major release.

Pfft, next to ratpoison, xfce is windows vista in terms of bloat. ;P

But more seriously, have you tried lxde? It's fast, like xfce, but it's a tiny bit more feature packed and configurable.

Blackface

Banned
So I have never used Jolicloud, and decided to install it on an old laptop. However, I am having a problem.

I boot it up off the CD I burned. And I choose to install. The Jolicloud logo pops up with the clouds flowing across the screens on the logo. Then nothing happens. It just hangs there, showing the icon, and not booting into the install. I left it 6 hours last night, never went past that part.

Anyone know WTF the problem is?

Vanillalite

Blackface said:
So I have never used Jolicloud, and decided to install it on an old laptop. However, I am having a problem.

I boot it up off the CD I burned. And I choose to install. The Jolicloud logo pops up with the clouds flowing across the screens on the logo. Then nothing happens. It just hangs there, showing the icon, and not booting into the install. I left it 6 hours last night, never went past that part.

Anyone know WTF the problem is?

I DOUBT this is the problem, BUT maybe it was a bad cd burn or a bad .iso? IDK... if you have a usb stick try checking the .iso and making a bootable usb. Then see if you get the exact same problem. Could be some weird hardware combo to or something....

Blackface

Banned
Brettison said:
I DOUBT this is the problem, BUT maybe it was a bad cd burn or a bad .iso? IDK... if you have a usb stick try checking the .iso and making a bootable usb. Then see if you get the exact same problem. Could be some weird hardware combo to or something....

I burned it three times, and tried all three CD"s on two different laptops. Nothing worked.

I instead made a multi-boot USB (with puppy linux on it also). That worked.

Vanillalite

Blackface said:
I burned it three times, and tried all three CD"s on two different laptops. Nothing worked.

I instead made a multi-boot USB (with puppy linux on it also). That worked.

Weird as fuck that the usb worked and the cd didn't.... maybe it was the usb boot loader... idk... weird...

qwerty2k

Anyone help/advise any way of getting my headless Ubuntu server (its running desktop edition not server) to automagically rip a dvd films when inserted and then spit the dvd abck out when done? (even better if it can some how name and organise it all).

angelfly

Brettison said:
Google Music now has a Linux client for those that care! :p
Ugh I see absolutely no reason to force us to use clients. Amazon does the exact same thing client-free. I guess my GM account will remain unused.

angelfly said:
Ugh I see absolutely no reason to force us to use clients. Amazon does the exact same thing client-free. I guess my GM account will remain unused.

Did I miss something? I just went to google music (for the first time) and did some random clicking, and it's playing stuff via flash. Perhaps having a client is just an alternative that adds features over the web-only version, not a requirement to use the service. You know, kind of like how you can use maps.google.com whenever you want, but they also have the downloadable Google Earth program.

There's no forcing involved.

angelfly

GameplayWhore said:
Did I miss something? I just went to google music (for the first time) and did some random clicking, and it's playing stuff via flash. Perhaps having a client is just an alternative that adds features over the web-only version, not a requirement to use the service. You know, kind of like how you can use maps.google.com whenever you want, but they also have the downloadable Google Earth program.

There's no forcing involved.
The accounts come with music already on them however in order to upload your own music you have to use a client (or an Android device). They won't let you upload your files from the browser.

angelfly said:
They won't let you upload your files from the browser.

Those MONSTERS!
Your complaint makes sense now and is reasonable.

qwerty2k said:
Anyone help/advise any way of getting my headless Ubuntu server (its running desktop edition not server) to automagically rip a dvd films when inserted and then spit the dvd abck out when done? (even better if it can some how name and organise it all).

I was looking for some magic solution where udev could trigger an arbitrary program upon disc insert, but it seems pretty unweildy. So here's a perl script that just continuously monitors /dev/cdrom:
(originally from here)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $err = !sysopen(CD, "/dev/cdrom", 00 | 04000);
if ($err) { print "ERR_DEVOPEN\n"; return; }
my $tochdr = "";
do {
 do { sleep(1); $err = !ioctl(CD, 0x5305, $tochdr); } while ($err);
 print "Found a disk\n";
 close(CD);
 `/usr/bin/dvdbackup -M -i/dev/cdrom -o /home/qwerty2k`;
 `eject /dev/cdrom`;
 } while (1);

I don't have a music dvd to check and see if dvdbackup is working. But when I run this (you have to have both perl and dvdbackup -- or an equivalent ripping program -- installed), it automatically starts the dvdbackup program, complains about my suse install cd not having a VIDEO_TS.IFO file, and ejects the disc.

Anyway, change that "/home/qwerty2k" to some useful directory. You might need to do some magic so that the directory name is different each time you pop in a new disc. You can run this script manually, or there are various ways to have it run in the background, but if you're already running a headless server, I'm guessing that you can work out that part.

Vanillalite

angelfly said:

Actually this is false. It doesn't do the EXACT same thing. It's similar, but not the same. With the client GMusic will auto watch your music folder so it auto syncs for you when you add new stuff without ever having to dick with it. Amazon can't do that because it's browser based. That means I have to manually upload if I want to add music.

Ideally they would allow you to upload via the browser, AND have the client available if you want to go that route. Considering they have a client for Win, Mac, and OSX it isn't a big deal now though.

qwerty2k

thanks for your perl suggestion, and its something i will look at, been looking at http://www.phillomath.com/node/4 which ive tried out but when trying to manually run the script i get the error: /usr/bin/ripdvd.sh : 13: Syntax error "(" unexpected, now ive had a look over the script (i copied and pasted it into the sh file) and it seems to be fine from my limited knowledge? perhaps someone could advise?

zoku88 said:
Why does google insist of distributing everything as a deb or rpm package?

Almost every distro can trace its roots to this, or in the case of rpm can be traced TO its roots (like rpm to txz, though rpms are generally compatible with Slackware anyway). Its in their best interest to at least provide packages for the most commonly used distros and those 2 formats cover damn near everything.

qwerty2k said:
get the error: /usr/bin/ripdvd.sh : 13: Syntax error "(" unexpected

line 13 looks like a beep command with no parens at all (but I'm reading the page on a pretty horrible winphone). Could you paste lines 12, 13 and 14 as they appear in your file?

qwerty2k

Code:
function beep_success() {
    beep -f 750 -l 80 -r 5 -D 20

I've commented out the beep -f 750 -l 80 -r 5 -D 20 as well as the other beep command in the script and still get the same error.

qwerty2k said:
Code:
function beep_success() {
    beep -f 750 -l 80 -r 5 -D 20

I've commented out the beep -f 750 -l 80 -r 5 -D 20 as well as the other beep command in the script and still get the same error.

Hmm. It looks fine, and when I paste it into a file here I only get complaints about the beep command (because my computer doesn't have that installed) and being unable to write to the log file because its directory doesn't exist (which is a correct error).

So I have nothing. I could only guess that it's a transcription error somehow. The only was I was able to reproduce that error was by forcing "function" to be spelled incorrectly. If that's not it .... for what it's worth, you could try changing that "sh" on the first line to "bash" so that it uses an interpreter that might give you a little more detail about syntax errors.

DirtRiver

Hey guys, I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop and I am actually pretty stoked about it because it works all very well, which was surprising because I was coming into this with a mindset that I was going to have to spend a lot of time searching for deep technical answers to actually have a working computer.

I am having a trouble though, whenever I am watching a video, my laptop starts making a shit load of noise and it gets really hot. I think it may have to do with the Flash player, as seeing videos on VLC, to my recollection, doesn't seem to make this occur.

Anybody had this occur to you? Have you solved it? How?

qwerty2k

Unfortunately from my experience Flash absolutely sucks on any platform other than windows (even then it still sucks), not a lot you can do about it from my experience, other people may be able to advise though.

Jerk

Banned
DirtRiver said:
Hey guys, I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop and I am actually pretty stoked about it because it works all very well, which was surprising because I was coming into this with a mindset that I was going to have to spend a lot of time searching for deep technical answers to actually have a working computer.

I am having a trouble though, whenever I am watching a video, my laptop starts making a shit load of noise and it gets really hot. I think it may have to do with the Flash player, as seeing videos on VLC, to my recollection, doesn't seem to make this occur.

Anybody had this occur to you? Have you solved it? How?

Which flash version are you using? From what I remember, there is both a community and a non-free version.

Try the opposite to see if you fare better.

Jerk said:
Which flash version are you using? From what I remember, there is both a community and a non-free version.

Try the opposite to see if you fare better.

Beta 11 just came out a little bit ago, so it might work better than the current version.

The "community version", I'm guessing is gnash. It's very limited. I think it can play youtube videos and the like, but it can't handle many games and other types of flash animation. Still very good work for such a complex format, though.

Polari

I just upgraded my root drive to an Agility 3 SSD and wow! Even LibreOffice loads within 1-2 seconds. Definitely a highly recommended upgrade, especially considering you can just put your root drive on it and use your existing HDD for your /home under Linux.

Vanillalite

Polari said:
I just upgraded my root drive to an Agility 3 SSD and wow! Even LibreOffice loads within 1-2 seconds. Definitely a highly recommended upgrade, especially considering you can just put your root drive on it and use your existing HDD for your /home under Linux.

I've wanted an SSD for a while now, but IDK... I keep telling myself to wait till like 2012 or 2013 when they size to price ratio gets better.

Top Bottom