• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

thcsquad

That looks pretty cool. This product definitely seems more granular than most others.

I use Ganglia for our clusters.

This seems maybe better than Cacti. I was planning on building a Cacti server for just the master servers, but I may look into this.

I can +1 for Munin. We use Munin and Nagios for monitoring, and they are both pretty stellar. Nagios is more for 'watch and make sure nothing bad happens', which you didn't really mention in your post, but should be an integral part of any server 'dashboard'.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a VNC server going on my laptop (running Linux Mint 13) and tightvncserver only knows how to create VNC servers for separate desktops. i.e. run vncserver and it will make a new desktop that I can't see on the local machine, but the viewing client controls the new desktop.

Anyone know of any other VNC that will be essentially a remote desktop? Either that, or somehow configure tightvncserver to not make new desktops, or find a way to switch the view to the new desktops (different from workspaces that i can switch by hitting ctrl-alt left/right).

tfur

I can +1 for Munin. We use Munin and Nagios for monitoring, and they are both pretty stellar. Nagios is more for 'watch and make sure nothing bad happens', which you didn't really mention in your post, but should be an integral part of any server 'dashboard'.

Right after posting I built a cacti server anyhow. I still plan to check Munin, its just I wanted to work with the SNMP parts of cacti.

I also use Nagios as well. Great tool.

I also have a few Sensaphone IMS devices for environmentals, and dialing and paging. Its proprietary hardware, but worth every penny.

tfur

yup yup.

a few years ago a colleague suggested using fedora instead of centos. I musta flipped over like 4 magazine racks in the blind rage that followed.

After a while, you just want servers that you do not have to worry about. Also, I have not had a reason to switch to something else, as CentOS has been incredibly consistent for me.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a VNC server going on my laptop (running Linux Mint 13) and tightvncserver only knows how to create VNC servers for separate desktops. i.e. run vncserver and it will make a new desktop that I can't see on the local machine, but the viewing client controls the new desktop.

Anyone know of any other VNC that will be essentially a remote desktop? Either that, or somehow configure tightvncserver to not make new desktops, or find a way to switch the view to the new desktops (different from workspaces that i can switch by hitting ctrl-alt left/right).

It depends on your desktop environment. If you're using KDE or GNOME, it should have that capability built in or easily installable. In KDE, for instance, you can get to it by typing Desktop Sharing at the run dialog. Not sure about gnome.

Otherwise, I believe the package you want to look for is called "x11vnc".

zoku88

Hey guys,

So basically, you're asking for vncviewer, right?

There's probably a tightvncviewer.

Or, something like tiger-vnc will include vncviewer. I don't know the package names for them, though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What ever happened to that sort of low key hyped new desktop Elementary which supposedly was meh with their current release (Jupiter or Juno or something?) but people thought had some promise with Luna? Is this another one of those never to see the light of day FOSS projects?

So basically, you're asking for vncviewer, right?

There's probably a tightvncviewer.

Or, something like tiger-vnc will include vncviewer. I don't know the package names for them, though.

No no, i can view fine, but the vncserver creates a separate instance of a desktop and streams that instead of the desktop that I am currently using. Basically, when I connect to it via another computer, I get a brand new desktop that I can't see on the local machine.

It depends on your desktop environment. If you're using KDE or GNOME, it should have that capability built in or easily installable. In KDE, for instance, you can get to it by typing Desktop Sharing at the run dialog. Not sure about gnome.

Otherwise, I believe the package you want to look for is called "x11vnc".

I'm using MATE (which forked off of Gnome 2 I believe) on Linux Mint 13. I'll look into x11vnc though, thanks.

zoku88

No no, i can view fine, but the vncserver creates a separate instance of a desktop and streams that instead of the desktop that I am currently using. Basically, when I connect to it via another computer, I get a brand new desktop that I can't see on the local machine.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by remote desktop.

Since you're using MATE, (based on Gnome 2), gnome has something called vino. Or something like that. That's pretty much what you want, I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know what's sad? I know some *nix admins running the desktop versions with a GUI on their web servers. I told them they are begging for trouble but they won't listen.

What's wrong with that? >.>

Pctx

Banned
What's wrong with that? >.>

There are not enough hours in the day. Running a production machine with x11 drivers increases your surface area for attacks and exploits. It just gets my goat and I'm very particular about my web servers.

So I got x11vnc and the server starts fine, but I can't connect to it with another computer because I guess the ports are blocked... The strange thing is that I can use TightVNC server on my win7 machine and view it from my linux laptop, but the reverse doesn't work. The only way I can view my linux desktop is via. listening mode... which is kind of annoying if I want to actually access it remotely.

I checked the firewall configuration on my linux machine and the firewall is off, but it is still refusing connections. Conversely, I do have a firewall on my win7 machine and I am able to connect to it from my linux machine no problem. Does this have something to do with my router blocking ports? It doesn't make sense that it's only blocking the ports on my linux machine but not my win7 machine.

argh =(

Massa

So I got x11vnc and the server starts fine, but I can't connect to it with another computer because I guess the ports are blocked... The strange thing is that I can use TightVNC server on my win7 machine and view it from my linux laptop, but the reverse doesn't work. The only way I can view my linux desktop is via. listening mode... which is kind of annoying if I want to actually access it remotely.

I checked the firewall configuration on my linux machine and the firewall is off, but it is still refusing connections. Conversely, I do have a firewall on my win7 machine and I am able to connect to it from my linux machine no problem. Does this have something to do with my router blocking ports? It doesn't make sense that it's only blocking the ports on my linux machine but not my win7 machine.

argh =(

Can you run the vnc viewer on the same machine that's running the server? That should rule out network issues.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'm running VMWare Workstation on my home machine and ESXi at work blows it out of the water in terms of options, SAN, backups and pretty much everything else. I've actually been thinking about taking my desktop at home and loading it up with CentOS and run ESXi on top of it at home for movie, music and storage etc. At the very least I would recommend to pony up the dough and buy workstation since it has snapshots and more options than player.

One major difference between the ESXi "Free" hypervisor and the paid one (which is what I use at work) is the fact that we get VMH (H for Host) software that controls the VMH servers. With the "Free" ESXi it is handled through a web interface.

Do you have vMotion? Freaking awesome eh? (When you don't forget to activate it of course)

and HA is god as hell.

orry, I misunderstood what you meant by remote desktop.

Since you're using MATE, (based on Gnome 2), gnome has something called vino. Or something like that. That's pretty much what you want, I think.

vinagre

but I don't think Mate uses it.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wait, vino isn't a part of GNOME?

EDIT: Oh, I see. vino is a vnc server and vinagre is a vnc client.

Yep, always get them mixed up!

I still don't understand thye logic between them. Vino is wine. Vinagre is vinegar. Vine turns to vinegar if left to rot (general talking, blablabla). The vnc client is the vnc server after a long time? Seriously, fire the guy which put names on apps.

Between that and gigolo, which "mounts what it's told to"Im baffled that people don't take the linux desktop more seriously :)

Now, regarding that, Vino/vinagre are part of gnome but I didn't see them in Mate when I tried it. Maybe they are under a different name?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best place to start on learning Linux/Redhat so I understand fully on why Linux is used for server and network administration and the benefits with it. I am coming from a Windows server networking and desktop background and I want to see the other side of this OS and what advantages it does with the former enviroment. Thanks ahead guys.

itxaka

Defeatist
What's the best place to start on learning Linux/Redhat so I understand fully on why Linux is used for server and network administration and the benefits with it. I am coming from a Windows server networking and desktop background and I want to see the other side of this OS and what advantages it does with the former enviroment. Thanks ahead guys.

Get some Virtual software (workstation is great but you have to pay, virtualbox is free), download CentOS (Which is Red Hat but free) and experiment with it.

For a full heads on I would recommend the official Red Hat documentation http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/index.html

For beginners there is an online guide which covers the basics http://www.1a-centosserver.com/

You also have the Centos wiki http://wiki.centos.org/

In any case I would recommend first start with a desktop distro if you know nothing about linux before jumping directly into server. That way you will have a better understanding about the innard working of linux before jumping to the difficult side :D

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Get some Virtual software (workstation is great but you have to pay, virtualbox is free), download CentOS (Which is Red Hat but free) and experiment with it.

For a full heads on I would recommend the official Red Hat documentation http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/index.html

For beginners there is an online guide which covers the basics http://www.1a-centosserver.com/

You also have the Centos wiki http://wiki.centos.org/

In any case I would recommend first start with a desktop distro if you know nothing about linux before jumping directly into server. That way you will have a better understanding about the innard working of linux before jumping to the difficult side :D

Thanks matey :D

jdub03

I have a toshiba Qosmio x775 with geforece gtx 560m. The laptop supports hybrid graphics. I've installed ubuntu on it. It sucks my batter down because either both gpus are running at the same time, the fan continuously runs or it runs the nvidia all the time. I'm not sure. Is there a fix for this. I can't use linux as my main if my battery last for an hour.

tfur

Update on the cacti vs munin.

I installed and configured Cacti, but found out that snmp seems to fail to report proper disk sizes above 2-4TB. There may be some workarounds for using different MIBS, but it is not worth it for the time being. So, Cacti is currently no longer polling.

Installed and configured Munin. Fairly easy install on CentOS, using EPEL and RPMforge. Configured/linked additional ib0 network devices in the plugins. Very easy. Everything is working fine, and testing on a small group of servers.

+1 Munin

itxaka

Defeatist
I have a toshiba Qosmio x775 with geforece gtx 560m. The laptop supports hybrid graphics. I've installed ubuntu on it. It sucks my batter down because either both gpus are running at the same time, the fan continuously runs or it runs the nvidia all the time. I'm not sure. Is there a fix for this. I can't use linux as my main if my battery last for an hour.

Bumblebee -> http://bumblebee-project.org/

Tworak

there's also RHQ (aka Jopr) for monitoring if you feel like throwing away a lot of system resources for no good reason.

*hides*

JBoss tsk tsk tsk

jdub03

when i do sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable I get these error messages:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Then when I try to install with sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia I get this message:

E: Unable to locate package bumblebee
E: Unable to locate package bumblebee-nvidia

itxaka

Defeatist
when i do sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable I get these error messages:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bumblebee/stable/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Then when I try to install with sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia I get this message:

E: Unable to locate package bumblebee
E: Unable to locate package bumblebee-nvidia

You are using ubuntu 12.10 and it's not supported :)

You will have to download the code and compile it yourself.

Insaniac

hey guys, not sure where to post this but:

I am working towards being a Linux system administrator, and i've been studying the LPIC-1 currently. I was wondering if anyone here is a sys admin or has worked as one and could offer me advice tips etc.

zoku88

Oh okay. Is that simple to do?

I haven't compiled that particular package before, but usually compiling is just a matter of getting the relevant development libraries, doing './configure & make'

Sometimes, the people who make the package put a command in for Ubuntu users to get all of the necessary build dependencies in the README.

goomba

Banned
Hey so I dunno if this is the place to ask but...

I work for the NZ government. We deploy public internet PC's and wifi to 145 libraries throughout the country.

Currently the PC's all run Windows XP and we use Faronic's "deep freeze" and "anti executable" software to have the PC's restore their hard drive images upon reboot and prevent non approved programs from running. Some libraries also have a booking system so users get 30 minutes sessions.

We are looking at Windows 7 licencing (because users complain about xp). The licencing costs are horrendous.

Would it be feasible to use a linux distro?, would it be possible to have them restore an image upon reboot and control which programs could run and allow bookable sessions?.

Nilaul

Guys how do I install Mint Cinnamon Distro when I allready have a Ubintu installed on it, without having access to a dvd?

Pctx

Banned
Update on the cacti vs munin.

I installed and configured Cacti, but found out that snmp seems to fail to report proper disk sizes above 2-4TB. There may be some workarounds for using different MIBS, but it is not worth it for the time being. So, Cacti is currently no longer polling.

Installed and configured Munin. Fairly easy install on CentOS, using EPEL and RPMforge. Configured/linked additional ib0 network devices in the plugins. Very easy. Everything is working fine, and testing on a small group of servers.

+1 Munin
Good to know, thanks for the update.

peakish

How do it a bootable usb stick? I'm such a noob. I'm using ubintu
There's probably an installation guide on the Mint homepage guiding you through the necessary steps. I'd wager you'll need to install unetbootin, either through the Software Center or writing
Code:
sudo apt-get install unetbootin
in a terminal. Then in that program, select the Mint iso you've downloaded to create the USB. Hope that puts you in the general direction, if not, ask!

Edit: For completeness, unetbootin is the program most people use to create bootable USB drives in Linux (except perhaps dd). Also, take any opportunity to read up on uncertain steps (like the sudo and apt-get commands if you use them and aren't familiar with them yet). It's the best way to improve :)

pab

Would it be feasible to use a linux distro?, would it be possible to have them restore an image upon reboot and control which programs could run and allow bookable sessions?.

Feasible, sure. Some sort of kiosk type arrangement would work well.

Example:
http://foss.in/2008/register/slides/Anatomy_of_Fedora_Kiosk_Mode_572.pdf

Bookable sessions could be done via script polling a booking db that does something when a booking is near (warns user that booking is approaching and will log the user out). Shouldn't be difficult to setup with a fair amount of Linux sysadmin experience.

Massa

Hey so I dunno if this is the place to ask but...

I work for the NZ government. We deploy public internet PC's and wifi to 145 libraries throughout the country.

Currently the PC's all run Windows XP and we use Faronic's "deep freeze" and "anti executable" software to have the PC's restore their hard drive images upon reboot and prevent non approved programs from running. Some libraries also have a booking system so users get 30 minutes sessions.

We are looking at Windows 7 licencing (because users complain about xp). The licencing costs are horrendous.

You wouldn't have to reinstall an image every time the system boots, that's a solution to a Windows XP problem that doesn't exist on Linux.

But yeah, it's super easy to have a kiosk type of setup based on Linux. Check out Red Hat's Desktop Deployment Guide that details some of the options you'll use. I suggest you start by playing around with CentOS 6 on a spare computer.

itxaka

Defeatist
hey guys, not sure where to post this but:

I am working towards being a Linux system administrator, and i've been studying the LPIC-1 currently. I was wondering if anyone here is a sys admin or has worked as one and could offer me advice tips etc.

What tips do you need? the LPIC-1 is pretty easy, you just need to practice and practice with linux.

As I can see this are the requirements:

Work at the Linux command line
Perform easy maintenance tasks: help users, add users to a larger system, backup and restore, shutdown and reboot
Install and configure a workstation (including X) and connect it to a LAN, or a standalone PC to the Internet.

That sounds pretty close to an Arch installation LOL

In fact, I think that could be the best way to learn, get Archlinux and install on a computer. Use the archlinux wiki for any help, the guides are pretty good and they cover the LPIC1 perfectly.

The Arch install makes you work with command line, add users, configure X, connect it to the internet and such so it should give you a pretty good insigth into the requirements. Then you can jump to learning from books or other mediums.

In fact, some time ago there were some VMs which were broken in order to help people troubleshoot them and find out what was wrong and fix it.

Umm I wonder where the hell those VMs are...I guess I could make my own and share them but how I am supposed to host them..I guess sourceforge?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nilaul

There's probably an installation guide on the Mint homepage guiding you through the necessary steps. I'd wager you'll need to install unetbootin, either through the Software Center or writing
Code:
sudo apt-get install unetbootin
in a terminal. Then in that program, select the Mint iso you've downloaded to create the USB. Hope that puts you in the general direction, if not, ask!

Edit: For completeness, unetbootin is the program most people use to create bootable USB drives in Linux (except perhaps dd). Also, take any opportunity to read up on uncertain steps (like the sudo and apt-get commands if you use them and aren't familiar with them yet). It's the best way to improve :)

Thankyou,

You wouldn't have to reinstall an image every time the system boots, that's a solution to a Windows XP problem that doesn't exist on Linux.

What's the preferred way of making a system where you have fairly free reign of application use but where the user environment is reset on reboot? I was thinking either deleting and recreating the home directories during bootup (which is easy but possibly a little less safe) or mounting /home to a ramdisk.

But yeah, it's super easy to have a kiosk type of setup based on Linux. Check out Red Hat's Desktop Deployment Guide that details some of the options you'll use. I suggest you start by playing around with CentOS 6 on a spare computer.

It's super-easy to really customise the desktop. If the only thing you want people to use is, say, the web, you can set it up with a barebones window manager that launches the web browser and restarts when the web browser is exited*.

Actually, what about using Chromium OS in that case? Has anybody here used that? That's the Google variant of Linux that essentially runs only Google Chrome (all applications are web apps).

* read; when it crashes. I mean, when doesn't a web browser crash these days? ;)

Massa

What's the preferred way of making a system where you have fairly free reign of application use but where the user environment is reset on reboot? I was thinking either deleting and recreating the home directories during bootup (which is easy but possibly a little less safe) or mounting /home to a ramdisk.

There are tools that offer a "guest" section - basically starts a fresh session on each login, and takes care of cleaning it up when the user logs out. You can also completely lock down the session if you want users to share the same one (no logging in/out) and you don't want a funny kid removing the launcher menu, for example.

It's super-easy to really customise the desktop. If the only thing you want people to use is, say, the web, you can set it up with a barebones window manager that launches the web browser and restarts when the web browser is exited*.

Actually, what about using Chromium OS in that case? Has anybody here used that? That's the Google variant of Linux that essentially runs only Google Chrome (all applications are web apps).

It's certainly a possibility but ChromiumOS wasn't really designed for that. It would take considerably more work to use it in that scenario than an enterprise-level Linux distribution like RHEL (CentOS) or Debian Stable. Heck, I have trouble running it on my laptop due to poor hardware support.

Nilaul

Quick question... how to I reinstall windows only again?

(Im not going back to windows; just need to know)

I plug in windows usb, and it does not load while startup.

zoku88

Quick question... how to I reinstall windows only again?

(Im not going back to windows; just need to know)

I plug in windows usb, and it does not load while startup.
That just looks like you need to adjust the boot order in your bios?

Top Bottom