• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still think some of the other all in ones have better specs. That Vizio has a much better integrated intel GPU compared to the Vizio. It would be hard for me to spend roughly $800+ on a system with an intel 2500 GPU. That being said supposedly you can get the 4000 series gpu in the System 76 system if you upgrade. That thing is pricey though when you factor in all of the "upgrades" like wireless and a larger HDD and such compared some other all in ones that comes with that stuff standard.

That being said the one great thing about the System76 pc is you know it's all Linux compatible driver wise from the get go with no issues.

EDIT: Looking at it that Dell has most everything I'd want in a System 76 computer already in the standard price. Sure the CPU might not be AS good, but it's more than fine since it's a 2nd gen Core i3 clocked at 3.3ghz. Plus you get a 1TB HDD, 8 gigs of RAM, 4000 series GPU, build in wireless network, and a wireless mouse and keyboard.

PS: Happy UDS Eve! Viva La Valve!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only thing I don't like about the Dell, other than is uses a second-gen i3 instead of a third-gen i5/7, is that it doesn't have an SSD option like the System 76. I know they're pricier and don't have a ton of storage, but I do a lot in the cloud and I prefer the speed of solid state. And also the RAM tops out at 8 GB instead of 16 like the System 76.

Do you know what kind of games I could run on the Dell/4000? Gaming isn't a priority but I would like to play sometimes.

Massa

Like I mentioned a few posts above I personally hate all in ones. You're committing yourself to an average monitor coupled with so-so spec and no possibility of upgrades.

If you don't have a place to hide a traditional desktop have you considered a Mac mini-like computer? Or even just using a monitor+keyboard+mouse with laptop. That's my current setup at the moment, I plug a 24" monitor to my 11" laptop and it works just fine when I'm in my home office. I was going to build a PC but I've been postponing that forever.

Now of course, all in ones work just fine for some people and you could be one of them. I'm merely suggesting some alternatives.

Vanillalite

The only thing I don't like about the Dell, other than is uses a second-gen i3 instead of a third-gen i5/7, is that it doesn't have an SSD option like the System 76. I know they're pricier and don't have a ton of storage, but I do a lot in the cloud and I prefer the speed of solid state. And also the RAM tops out at 8 GB instead of 16 like the System 76.

Do you know what kind of games I could run on the Dell/4000? Gaming isn't a priority but I would like to play sometimes.

It's more the fact that the system itself would be just in general faster with the 4000 GPU. Video playback would be smoother. Web browsing that allows for GPU acceleration would be better. Supposedly Gimp is adding in GPU acceleration. Things like this will just allow better performance.

Also as far as games considering Torchlight has a netbook mode I'd assume you'd be able to run that in some form or fashion, and the latest humble indie bundle for games gave us Linux users a native version of Torchlight. So that's something you could play. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Like I mentioned a few posts above I personally hate all in ones. You're committing yourself to an average monitor coupled with so-so spec and no possibility of upgrades.

If you don't have a place to hide a traditional desktop have you considered a Mac mini-like computer? Or even just using a monitor+keyboard+mouse with laptop. That's my current setup at the moment, I plug a 24" monitor to my 11" laptop and it works just fine when I'm in my home office. I was going to build a PC but I've been postponing that forever.

Now of course, all in ones work just fine for some people and you could be one of them. I'm merely suggesting some alternatives.

If I went with a laptop that would also be so-so specs and no-upgrade-city.

The laptop+accessories route is what I would have gone with if I could make a Chromebook my main PC at this point, but I can't yet. Not only that, no matter what laptop, the redundancy would be just as annoying as a desktop PC (keyboard, and mouse, and speakers, and monitor, and webcam...) that there would be virtually no benefit to not going with an actual tower.

I've only upgraded my PC once or twice and it was nice, yeah, but it isn't a killer feature for me. Space is the name of the game.

Kikarian

How do I dual Boot Windows 7 with Arch Linux?

I currently have windows 7 installed and want to dual boot Arch. I already have a partiton...
I have looked at the Wiki, but not sure as to what I put on the GRUB Bootloader too allow me to Dual boot.

Massa

If I went with a laptop that would also be so-so specs and no-upgrade-city.

The laptop+accessories route is what I would have gone with if I could make a Chromebook my main PC at this point, but I can't yet. Not only that, no matter what laptop, the redundancy would be just as annoying as a desktop PC (keyboard, and mouse, and speakers, and monitor, and webcam...) that there would be virtually no benefit to not going with an actual tower.

I've only upgraded my PC once or twice and it was nice, yeah, but it isn't a killer feature for me. Space is the name of the game.

Even if you never upgrade your PC you might just want to buy a new one but keep your monitor, as they don't age nearly as fast.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think that will be the case, especially with the retina-ization of everything. By the time I want to upgrade, 23 inchers with retina displays at a decent price will probably be common. Even now I'm somewhat hesitant of getting something that's "just" 1080p...

And I think I can use the all in one as an extra monitor anyways...

zoku88

I currently have windows 7 installed and want to dual boot Arch. I already have a partiton...
I have looked at the Wiki, but not sure as to what I put on the GRUB Bootloader too allow me to Dual boot.

In the GRUB Arch wiki page, it basically tells you how to edit the additional grub.conf file to chainload into the Windows bootloader.

EDIT: Oh, apparently you don't actually need to chainload anymore.

For BIOS-MBR
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Boot_Microsoft_Windows_installed_in_BIOS-MBR_mode

For EFI GPT
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Chainload_Microsoft_Windows_x86_64_UEFI-GPT
--For this one, it tells you to edit the main cfg file. I don't think that's necessary or advisable. I think it's better to just edit those custom conf files.

Simplest case: Install the os-prober and let that do the work for you as per the wiki.

Or..or... you could do that, I guess! I-if, you want to be uncool about it.... >.>

I jest. :p

peakish

Simplest case: Install the os-prober and let that do the work for you as per the wiki.

Or..or... you could do that, I guess! I-if, you want to be uncool about it.... >.>

I jest. :p
I edited out some more advanced configuration stuff since you covered that. I'd go for them myself
at least until it's 2 AM and the god damn shit still won't boot and I remember how nice the prober works in Ubuntu.

thcsquad

I think the Vizio all-in-one looks pretty sexy compared to any competitor.

vizio-pc12q2-aio-CA2724-main-lg.jpg

System76 is great though (I have had two laptops from them and I'll probably continue), so go for it if it has the specs you want.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not really an all-in-one considering the box, but yeah, it *looks* good. Reviews have been middling though. But at least you can replace he keyboard, unlike with their laptops.

Vanillalite

For some reason I got bored last night and upgraded to the pre alpha. IDK why I did it as it's just going to cause like a month of headache as they get things to a stable alpha point. LOL

Massa

I don't think that will be the case, especially with the retina-ization of everything. By the time I want to upgrade, 23 inchers with retina displays at a decent price will probably be common. Even now I'm somewhat hesitant of getting something that's "just" 1080p...

And I think I can use the all in one as an extra monitor anyways...

I think I see an All in One in your future. :)

For some reason I got bored last night and upgraded to the pre alpha. IDK why I did it as it's just going to cause like a month of headache as they get things to a stable alpha point. LOL

I'd recommend GNOME users do not update or try the upcoming 3.7.1 pre-release. The improvements they made to the Shell overview make it incredibly hard to go back to the previous versions.

I actually backported the patches to 3.6 and I'm running that on my work system right now.

nan0

Can anyone recommend me a stable yet somewhat up-to-date rolling release distro? I've used Arch for two years now, but basically at every bigger update (recently Gnome 3.4 to 3.6) something breaks and I have to spend at least one or two hours to fix everything up.
I considered going back to LMDE or Debian Testing, but thinking that I have to go back to and maintain a list of PPAs for everything that is not in the default repos turns me a bit off.

Vanillalite

Can anyone recommend me a stable yet somewhat up-to-date rolling release distro? I've used Arch for two years now, but basically at every bigger update (recently Gnome 3.4 to 3.6) something breaks and I have to spend at least one or two hours to fix everything up.
I considered going back to LMDE or Debian Testing, but thinking that I have to go back to and maintain a list of PPAs for everything that is not in the default repos turns me a bit off.

That's the problem with rolling release distros. They by their very nature tend to not be totally stable.

That being said I'd suggest maybe idk Crunchbang if that counts for a rolling release? Normally I'd say Arch, but that's what you are already on. LOL

Maybe Gentoo? Though I heard that's more of a pain in the ass than Arch.

nan0

Yeah, I know that rolling-releases tend to be not as stable as a Debian stable installation :) That being said, I don't use Linux as my main system (and run it on my Thinkpad) and don't mind fixing a problem or two, but recently things nearly broke on a weekly basis: Fn-keys, Hibernation, suddenly reduced battery runtime. Which is why I want to go back to something more stable, but I think I'll wait for the new LM release in november.

I was a Gentoo user before using Arch, but geez, that was even worse. It was nice for learning, tinkering and bleeding-edge stuff, but I don't have anymore time for in-depth configuration and error research.

Any distro with a reputation of doing reasonably clean point release upgrades that carry over your programs and user data are pretty much what you're asking for. That's, I imagine, most distros. I do this at work now with Opensuse. I'm thinking of taking a look at Mageia, given its popularity level on Distrowatch as well as its particular ancestry (at its peak, Mandrake was unbeatable, a stone wall of protection when every other distro had bizarre hardware and library issues all the time).

Massa

I use Fedora on my laptop for a "bleeding edge" system. The main advantage over a rolling distribution is that I know exactly when to expect things to break (aka the new release, every 6 months). With a rolling release any upgrade could potentially break something.

Messed about with Windows 8, but I'm going back to Linux.
For me I think 8 is made for tablets than it is Desktop.

Can't you tweak a few settings to bring back the old-style desktop interface?

…not that I'm trying to push you billways.

edit: Hey, out of curiosity, it PROGMAN.EXE still somewhere in the system? It's still pretty cool that you can run the Windows 3.1 DE from 1993 on Windows XP from 2003 in nearly 2013.

Also, you can still install other shells in Windows if you really want to stay old school, right?

Massa

Can't you tweak a few settings to bring back the old-style desktop interface?

…not that I'm trying to push you billways.

Not really, you have to constantly switch back and forth.

Edit: although I guess you could avoid the Metro mode if you pin all the apps you use to the taskbar. Meh.

Hieberrr

Wow, I am officially a supporter of Kubuntu. The distro is clean, lightweight, and easy to use. I absolutely love it with a few exceptions. The default icon set is pretty ugly (but I guess I can change that), and I am not too fond of the bottom launcher bar (as it won't let me minimize applications to it). Overall, it looks great and runs great. It is not as well polished (aesthetically) as Ubuntu, but it's pretty close.

EDIT: Xubuntu

-KRS-

For icons I like the Faenza icon theme. I like square icons for some reason. There is a KDE version available. I think it's simply called kfaenza.

Hieberrr

-KRS-

Since XFCE also uses GTK, just like Gnome, the regular Faenza icon theme should work just fine with that. I'm using it with LXDE on one computer for instance.

Edit: Oh and btw, if you want the theme regular Ubuntu uses I think they use the "Tango" icon theme. It used to be my favorite until I found faenza.

Edit2: v No problem :)

Vanillalite

Wow, I am officially a supporter of Kubuntu. The distro is clean, lightweight, and easy to use. I absolutely love it with a few exceptions. The default icon set is pretty ugly (but I guess I can change that), and I am not too fond of the bottom launcher bar (as it won't let me minimize applications to it). Overall, it looks great and runs great. It is not as well polished (aesthetically) as Ubuntu, but it's pretty close.

Ever since XFCE 4.8 hit in Xubuntu a release or so ago it's gotten a lot of great praise. It's fairly easy to use, and stays up to date. Plus it's not trying to do anything crazy new paradigm wise which might piss people off. It's very much like a light weight Gnome 2.X honestly.

nan0

Allright, it seems that a rolling release distro is out-of-question for me at the moment.
So, I have tried the latest Mageia, Kubuntu, Mepis and Ubuntu distributions. I currently want something that works out of the box as much as possible with minimal fiddling involved.

Mageia: I haven't used KDE in a long time, but I actually liked it quite much. Too bad that it wouldn't let me install Chrome due to unresolvable dependency issues. Found the problem a couple of times in various forums, but there no solutions other than "This can't be because it works on my machine". Also their repositories are kinda lacking. Unless something went totally wrong on my installation, I couldn't find programs as basic as nano, although I enabled both the nonfree and tainted repos. Next.

Kubuntu: Refused to properly detect the correct size of the newly created and formatted /home partition and couldn't complete the installation. Next.

Mepis: Horrible font face, even with AA and hinting enabled. Hibernate didn't work, took several restarts until it changed the locale from en_US to de_DE. Next.

Ubuntu: I figured that I would have the least problems, since it is probably the most mainstream and polished distro available. The install went smoothly, and after removing the Amazon stuff, I think I'll stay with it for a while. But who the hell thought it was a good idea to disable hibernation by default and let the user it enable by completely unintuitive means.

Kudos to anyone who can use Linux as their main system, I don't think I have the patience for it anymore.

peakish

Ubuntu: I figured that I would have the least problems, since it is probably the most mainstream and polished distro available. The install went smoothly, and after removing the Amazon stuff, I think I'll stay with it for a while. But who the hell thought it was a good idea to disable hibernation by default and let the user it enable by completely unintuitive means.
Well in that link it does say that hibernate is broken for many systems and that is why they've hidden it away. I'd guess most users are comfortable using suspend only (franky I don't think most users know the difference between them and are mostly confused by having two unfamiliar options).

nan0

Well in that link it does say that hibernate is broken for many systems and that is why they've hidden it away. I'd guess most users are comfortable using suspend only (franky I don't think most users know the difference between them and are mostly confused by having two unfamiliar options).

Then don't hide it away, but provide it as an option with a warning. It's not like hibernation is some obscure option nobody uses. Suspend is not an option on many portable devices since it drains battery.

peakish

Then don't hide it away, but provide it as an option with a warning. It's not like hibernation is some obscure option nobody uses. Suspend is not an option on many portable devices since it drains battery.
I don't think it's very unreasonable to keep dangerous options away from simple options screens. Also not that more advanced users, as in those knowing precisely what they want or with specific use cases, can google the option and get a page (with the warning) and simple instructions on how to enable it. Then again I'm a Gnome user, so... You obviously disagree, but hey.

Ubuntu is built for novice users - users who might be iffed if they by accident or mistake enable a dangerous option (even if marked) which stops their computer from functioning properly. I think even now that it's too unstable for what it's trying to be, heh. It sucks for you that your use case with hibernate isn't favored, don't know what else I can say about that.

Bruiserk

Hey guys, I have a problem. I tried installing Sublime Text 2, that went fine. When I tried to install the package manager, something screwed up. Now, I can't open ST2, so I figured I should get a fresh install. WHen I try and delete the folder in usr/lib, it says permission denied. I used:

rmdir
rm -rf

Help?

Bruiserk

It's usually better to use "sudo apt-get remove application-name" instead of removing files manually.

I try that, but it says it can't find what I'm searching for. Even though it is in: usr/lib/Sublime\ Text\ 2/
am I trying to search for the executable file? My exact terminal:

sudo apt-get remove sublime_text

zoku88

I try that, but it says it can't find what I'm searching for. Even though it is in: usr/lib/Sublime\ Text\ 2/
am I trying to search for the executable file? My exact terminal:

sudo apt-get remove sublime_text

Hmm, try installing it again, and then remove it. When you install it again, it should (hopefully) create whatever file you are missing.

That error is weird to me, though. I didn't think the package manager would fail when trying to remove something just because a file isn't present.

EDIT: If you're saying the file IS actually there, then I have no clue. Maybe whatever it uses to find files doesn't handle spaces well? What's the exact error message?

Bruiserk

The error message when I try and run ST2:

Unable to run package setup:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./PackageSetup.py", line 165, in upgrade
upgradePackage(pkg, pristinedir, datadir, backupdir)
File "./PackageSetup.py", line 158, in upgradePackage
os.path.join(backupdir, base), inhibitOverwrite)
File "./PackageSetup.py", line 113, in upgradeArchive
shutil.copy(src, dst)
File ".\shutil.py", line 88, in copy
File ".\shutil.py", line 53, in copyfile
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'/home/steve/.config/sublime-text-2/Pristine Packages/Language - English.sublime-package'

EDIT: I got everything to work out. Apparently the sublime-text-2 folder had root permissions. Changed that through chown and it worked.

markot

Banned
Whenever I install the new version of ubuntu, it doesnt detect the ati graphics card or install their drivers, and I cant do it myself cause it doesnt detect them >_<

What upppppp?!

Yeah, the bottom launcher bar is garbagio. I use Docky instead. (cairo or awn will also work... they all crash too much, but at least Docky is unobtrusive when it crashes)

Whenever I install the new version of ubuntu, it doesnt detect the ati graphics card or install their drivers, and I cant do it myself cause it doesnt detect them >_<

What upppppp?!
So... are you saying the "hardware drivers" window can't find anything? You can run it in the terminal with jockey-gtk (e: jockey-kde if you're using kde?) if you can't find it on the menu.

If it doesn't tell you anything, copy+paste "lspci | grep Radeon" into the terminal, and report the results back.

Vanillalite

What upppppp?!

What card? I have an idea about this, but I need to know your card.

Top Bottom