• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

-KRS-

Yes Firefox will let the site set the font by default, so if you have the msfonts installed they should be used automatically.

just install ubuntu on my old laptop.

1. how do I install drivers for a amd mobility radeon 4250

2. my sound is giving off a weird hissing noise

3. The most important question of all...... why can't i install wine. I have been searching all night and nothing is working.
Screenshot_from_2012_11_04_07_48_13.png

zoku88

Did you try the software center instead?

Isn't software center just a front-end for apt? I'd imagine that he would get the same problems.
3. The most important question of all...... why can't i install wine. I have been searching all night and nothing is working.

For the second command, I see that you manually typed in the version number?

Are the results before that for when you didn't type in the version number?

b0b

Neo Member
updated my Arch-Desktop yesterday, so I'm on Gnome 3.6 now.

what can I say... :D:D:D

well... it's not that bad. it's usable and I like the design of the desktop. It is a great looking desktop.

it also brought some annoying "features" for me:
- my video files don't show as thumbnails in nautilus anymore (it's fine for pictures/pdf but it stopped working for video files... still looking for a solution)
- no "restore last session" in epiphany (web). well it's not the browser I use most anyway
- "applications overview" in the "activities" moved at the bottom of the application-dock - if you are using just the mouse without the keyboard the overall mouse-moving-distances are even longer than before... I can live with it as I use the keyboard most of the time anyway, it's still not a good decission.
- choosing a wallpaper. yeah you have to confirm your selection now... there are no "arrangement" options now like center, fit, scale etc. why not? too confusing? :D
- pc boots up, X is starting, I'm getting some broken pictures and colors and flashes for 1-2 seconds, then I can see the old GDM3.4 background for a time glimpse, then finally the GDM 3.6 one. I login, it flashes weirdly, changes to the default gnome-wallpaper (that ugly xml-based-one) then back to my own wallpaper. it looks like crap. transitions are too hard for designers?

Some pages ago someone asked why Lennart Poettering gets so much hate in the Linux/BSD community. He might be a very good programmer, but that doesn't mean, he is doing the things he is doing in the right way.
Why exactly do you need Systemd for Gnome3? Why do you have to start nearly the full Gnome-Desktop for GDM? The Gnome-Networkmanager? These completly idiotic "Universal Access Thingies"? I'm not disabled in any way so I don't need this stuff on MY computer.

I'm still laughing at the Gnome-Developers - these guys are idiots. They are arguing about very stupid problems. For example in the new Nautilus the "Connect to server" dialog changed. Like everything in Gnome it tries to mimic OSX as much as possible. So there are no dropdown-menus - there is nothing besides of an textarea and a list of recently used servers (but you cannot add some yourself). In this textarea you have to put in your server-address. As an example it shows "smb://something". I needed webdav, so I put "https://" (well OSX wants it this way) - it doesn't work. "http://" -> same. "webdav://" - nope. "afp://" for Appletalk isn't recognised as well. Googled it and found a disscussion on the Gnome-Bug-Tracker if they should add some more examples and explanations in the help-page. After all it's not needed to point out because the normal user would simply get the link by mail or something and can simply copy&paste the servers address in the textarea. And the dudes who are good with computers will figure it out somehow anyway...
so yeah the right one for https-webdav is "davs://" and "dav://" for http-webdav... Is stuff like this too confusing for beginners in the HELP PAGES - why not mentioning it?

I mean - Gnome 3 is good. But also a little annoying.
at least I have an WM besides of Gnome as a fallback...

Massa

updated my Arch-Desktop yesterday, so I'm on Gnome 3.6 now.

what can I say... :D:D:D

well... it's not that bad. it's usable and I like the design of the desktop. It is a great looking desktop.

it also brought some annoying "features" for me:
- my video files don't show as thumbnails in nautilus anymore (it's fine for pictures/pdf but it stopped working for video files... still looking for a solution)

Make sure you have the video codecs for Gstreamer 1.0 installed.

- no "restore last session" in epiphany (web). well it's not the browser I use most anyway

Epiphany restores your session automatically.

- "applications overview" in the "activities" moved at the bottom of the application-dock - if you are using just the mouse without the keyboard the overall mouse-moving-distances are even longer than before... I can live with it as I use the keyboard most of the time anyway, it's still not a good decission.

Technically it's easier to travel your mouse pointer to the new location as you can just slide it over the left side of the screen (see Fitt's law), while the old button you had to carefully aim in both axis.

- choosing a wallpaper. yeah you have to confirm your selection now... there are no "arrangement" options now like center, fit, scale etc. why not? too confusing? :D

Actually they ran out of time while implementing the new background selection panel.

- pc boots up, X is starting, I'm getting some broken pictures and colors and flashes for 1-2 seconds, then I can see the old GDM3.4 background for a time glimpse, then finally the GDM 3.6 one. I login, it flashes weirdly, changes to the default gnome-wallpaper (that ugly xml-based-one) then back to my own wallpaper. it looks like crap. transitions are too hard for designers?.

The most difficult problem with transitions has nothing to do with designers, and more to do with how broken the display system is on Linux right now. That said, the flashes you're getting shouldn't really be normal, I'd file a bug with Arch Linux packagers.

Transitions from boot to login will look perfect once we get Wayland by default. Should be a while still. :(

Emitan

Sound isn't working in Ubuntu after the login menu. I don't know if it was ever working though >_>

EDIT: 'killall pulseaudio' fixed it

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend me a stable yet somewhat up-to-date rolling release distro? I've used Arch for two years now, but basically at every bigger update (recently Gnome 3.4 to 3.6) something breaks and I have to spend at least one or two hours to fix everything up.
I considered going back to LMDE or Debian Testing, but thinking that I have to go back to and maintain a list of PPAs for everything that is not in the default repos turns me a bit off.

Maybe try slackware-current. I heard Slackware was known for its stability.

zoku88

I tried to update my graphics drivers to make Guild Wars 2 run better. Now I boot into a terminal ;~;

Did you remember to reboot?

There's probably an error like : "Graphics driver mismatch: Current driver version is Blah, but kernel something blah2"

you could also do something like
Code:
modprobe -r nvidia
modprobe -a nvidia
starx

Assuming nvidia is the driver.

Emitan

Did you remember to reboot?

There's probably an error like : "Graphics driver mismatch: Current driver version is Blah, but kernel something blah2"

you could also do something like
Code:
modprobe -r nvidia
modprobe -a nvidia
starx

Assuming nvidia is the driver.

'modprobe -r nvidia' didn't work

Ran 'modprobe -a nvidia' and 'startx' and got

zoku88

Somehow I need to get the kernal and driver to be the same version but I don't know how...

the modprobe -r nvidia was meant to remove the current running nvidia driver. Why didn't it work?

You basically need to restart the driver somehow. Either by reboot or by unloading the driver and loading it again.

EDIT: There could be another problem. You could have recently upgraded the kernel without reinstalling the driver? In that case, you would need to reinstall the driver.

itxaka

Defeatist
Somehow I need to get the kernal and driver to be the same version but I don't know how...

Do you have internet via wifi or ethernet?

If it's ethernet just purge the packages and reinstall them

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

sudo apt-get install nvidia-common

if not you can try with

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-common

Emitan

Do you have internet via wifi or ethernet?

If it's ethernet just purge the packages and reinstall them

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

if not you can try with

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-common
i have Ethernet. I can try that after work (on lunch break right now)

b0b

Neo Member
Make sure you have the video codecs for Gstreamer 1.0 installed.

yeah, thanks, i forgot they moved over to the new framework. anyway, it's still jerky. it works but i have to invalidate the cache - by moving or temporary renaming files manually.

Epiphany restores your session automatically.

thats fine

Technically it's easier to travel your mouse pointer to the new location as you can just slide it over the left side of the screen (see Fitt's law), while the old button you had to carefully aim in both axis.

maybe... but it's still annoying to move your mouse from one corner to another
activities -> workspace -> activities -> program menu
i know there are things like drag&drop support in the activities overview but for me it doesn't seem to work anytime like it should, so it's unreliable

Actually they ran out of time while implementing the new background selection panel.

this should be an excuse. i'm on gnome 3.6.1 now and it's still not fixed. or is it planed to fix this in 3.8? it shouldn't have been released unfinished in first place. it can't be that hard

The most difficult problem with transitions has nothing to do with designers, and more to do with how broken the display system is on Linux right now. That said, the flashes you're getting shouldn't really be normal, I'd file a bug with Arch Linux packagers.

Transitions from boot to login will look perfect once we get Wayland by default. Should be a while still. :(

I know that X11 sucks. But it doesn't mean it sucks by design through. I am excited for Wayland, but I don't think it will change everything and make everything great. Is it still only one guy working on it most of the time? I think wayland will be just like OSX-aqua/quartz - which works great most of the time but has it's own downsides too. It's still a very loooong way for it to be usable and stable.

I read in the Valve@Linux thread that some guys here at GAF are running Arch-Linux with the "awesome"-wm. That's the one I'm using too. The main programmer of "awesome" blogged in the past about X11, Xlib, XCB and Wayland. He uses XCB in awesome, nearly everyone else is using the older Xlib. Very interesting stuff

zoku88

I know that X11 sucks. But it doesn't mean it sucks by design through. I am excited for Wayland, but I don't think it will change everything and make everything great. Is it still only one guy working on it most of the time? I think wayland will be just like OSX-aqua/quartz - which works great most of the time but has it's own downsides too. It's still a very loooong way for it to be usable and stable.

I'm pretty sure it's more than one guy, now.

I know the guy works for Intel now (not sure if he worked for them when starting the project.)

Looking at the commit logs, it looks to be about 15 regular people?

Massa

Your problem seems to be that you tried to install the nVidia drivers manually? You should never do that, always use the Ubuntu packages. :-/

I'd recommend looking at the instructions on how to remove them here, then also remove the Ubuntu packages for nVidia drivers. After that you should have a "clean" slate and be ready to install nVidia drivers from an Ubuntu repository.

Wayland isn't going to completely replace X at first. In fact, the next version of Xorg improves the XWayland server which will be used to run X apps under Wayland. That sort of setup should be usable on a daily basis within the next six months, and possibly the default in some distros a year from now.

zoku88

Wayland isn't going to completely replace X at first. In fact, the next version of Xorg improves the XWayland server which will be used to run X apps under Wayland. That sort of setup should be usable on a daily basis within the next six months, and possibly the default in some distros a year from now.

Can you use X drivers in that setup? XWayland running on Wayland, I mean.

Massa

Can you use X drivers in that setup? XWayland running on Wayland, I mean.

You do still need Xorg drivers, but the proprietary ones don't work. Those will need to support Wayland before you can get XWayland apps working under them.

thcsquad

Currently running Bodhi Linux on my laptop. It's a nice lightweight distro based on Ubuntu with the E17 window manager. E17 is by far the best slim window manager I've ever used. It's snappy and glossy. And it comes with a Tiling profile, which is actually pretty decent but not quite Xmonad.

Emitan

How do I install and update my nVidia drivers in Ubuntu 12.10?

Should I use this:

gqFxE.png

What I have done to this system
After installing Ubuntu 12.10 I ran

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

this fucked up everything so then I ran

Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current

Those are the only things I've done to my drivers.

zoku88

Should I use this:

gqFxE.png

Code:

Code:

I just looked it up. Nvidia-common.. isn't actually the driver.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-common

So, like

I'm not really familiar with Ubuntu packages, but search what nvidia related packages are available.

aptitude search nvidia

If you have any of these installed, I guess I would purge all of them.

I'm not sure why installing nvidia-current would mess things up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fedora 18's slipped into 2013 now, that's one hell of a delay.

Yes it is, but considering we hadn't heard much on that front it was obvious it was going to slip. Plus Fedora seems to really be in lock step with the Gnome releases, and Gnome 3.6 isn't exactly ready for primetime yet. It sucks for the Fedora community, and the Linux community at large, but IDK what else they could really do at this point.

Massa

Yes it is, but considering we hadn't heard much on that front it was obvious it was going to slip. Plus Fedora seems to really be in lock step with the Gnome releases, and Gnome 3.6 isn't exactly ready for primetime yet. It sucks for the Fedora community, and the Linux community at large, but IDK what else they could really do at this point.

3.6 is rock solid, the best release of GNOME 3 so far. Fedora's problem is exclusively in the installer, which is a complete rewrite for F18 and it's just not done yet.

While the installer is holding the release everything else is falling into place quite nicely. I've been using F18 for about a month and a half on my production laptop with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
3.6 is rock solid, the best release of GNOME 3 so far. Fedora's problem is exclusively in the installer, which is a complete rewrite for F18 and it's just not done yet.

While the installer is holding the release everything else is falling into place quite nicely. I've been using F18 for about a month and a half on my production laptop with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

My bad. I got my streams crossed late at night. I was thinking of Gnome 3.7 not 3.6. LOL

So guys... With the upgrade to 12.10 and the new Nvidia drivers, I no longer have problems using composite/compiz.

The steam linux beta having unity integration for quick menu thingies which is an easy way to launch the steam client if you're not in the beta without using the terminal has lead me to start using Unity a bit.

I think Unity is actually kinda alright.

Should I use this:

gqFxE.png

Code:

Code:

apt-get nvidia-updates

Also, add the x-updates PPA to your sources if you want to stay current with the latest stable nvidia driver releases.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just installed Steam in Linux via the OMGUbuntu tutorial.

I was wondering is there a way to launch it without having to type the code:
Code:
steam steam://open/games

Would make things a tad easier.

Polari

Code:

Depends on your desktop, but in LXDE you'd just make a shortcut by right-clicking on the desktop then typing that in the "Command" field. You can probably do the same thing in Nautilus for Ubuntu/GNOME.

zoku88

Code:

You could make an alias.

Or you could do what the poster suggested above and make a desktop file.

survivor

Banned
I'm trying to get Sublime Text 2 working from the terminal on Ubuntu following the instructions here (specifically the answers by Alex L and Mark Mikofski), but I can't get the symlink to work properly. I created bin directory in home and did what they said, but every time I try to run subl from the terminal, I keep getting command not found. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Edit: I should specify, I didn't move the ST2 folder to .local, but instead created a new directory called Apps in home and put it there.

I'm trying to get Sublime Text 2 working from the terminal on Ubuntu following the instructions here (specifically the answers by Alex L and Mark Mikofski), but I can't get the symlink to work properly. I created bin directory in home and did what they said, but every time I try to run subl from the terminal, I keep getting command not found. Any idea what might be causing the problem?
Why don't you just
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sublime-text
?

Krelian

Edit: I should specify, I didn't move the ST2 folder to .local, but instead created a new directory called Apps in home and put it there.
I think the problem is that ~/bin is not in your $PATH. Try running
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
and try again.

If it works it's not a permanent solution. You'd have to save the command in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile file.

The cleaner solution would of course be to import a repository and install the package for Sublime like Computer suggested.

Top Bottom