• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

survivor

Banned
Why don't you just
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sublime-text
?
Only reason I stayed away from doing this is because I read adding PPAs isn't safe. Honestly, I have no idea what are the security risks so I wasn't sure if adding the one for Sublime Text will cause any harm.

I think the problem is that ~/bin is not in your $PATH. Try running
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
and try again.

If it works it's not a permanent solution. You'd have to save the command in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile file.

The cleaner solution would of course be to import a repository and install the package for Sublime like Computer suggested.
When I did the export it worked fine. I tried running "source .profile" and that made it work as well. After some digging, it looked like I wasn't running my terminal as login shell so .profile file wasn't being called. After enabling login shell, I was able to run Sublime from the terminal although I'm not fully sure sure what other effects login shell has.

b0b

Neo Member
3.6 is rock solid, the best release of GNOME 3 so far.

can you (or someone) please try the following.

- start gnome 3
- start vlc
- play any video in vlc
- click on your username in the upper right corner and choose "Power Off" (VLC is still playing)
- just click on cancel

-> vlc is closing o_O

it looks like it's VLCs fault, because the rest of the programs I tried just stay open. On Gnome 3.4 I experienced the same shit for more programs, not just vlc... but no program opened again - ie the program was in this "i've got to shutdown"-kinda-of-mode and refused to open again (I had to logout and login again). I'm on Arch, but I saw this VLC-bug on Ubuntu 12.04 too.

weird stuff... and who to blame?
I find it just funny how all this stuff works :D

Only reason I stayed away from doing this is because I read adding PPAs isn't safe. Honestly, I have no idea what are the security risks so I wasn't sure if adding the one for Sublime Text will cause any harm.

it's considered as not safe, yes.

the software in your default repositories is considered as "safe" by the distributors. they test it, they have "trusted users" who are packaging all the stuff. You are or better have to trust(ing) them, otherwise you wouldn't use their distribution, right? An PPA is a repository made by someone. You have to decide yourself if you trust this person. Most ubuntu-users are simply adding various PPAs to their system without caring about it. So it's nearly the same attitude as the windows-users have by double-clicking every *.exe they see (because they know how to double-click...). This could be (better: will be) a problem if malware or viruses on linux become more popular and often in the future.

In this case (Sublime) I would say, just add the PPA.

I read the same about adding your $HOME/bin to the $PATH. ie it could be that your $HOME/bin is searched before /usr/bin or /bin - so theoretically someone having access to your home could "replace" some binaries... Of course he/she could just put some aliases to your .bashrc also, so "safe" or "unsafe" is depending only on the person sitting in front of the computer...
I don't have bin in my home-folder, if I need I use aliases and/or (self-created) desktop-files...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've gone all Linux with my personal stuff. I'm still dual booting with Windows 8, but I haven't had to boot into Windows in forever. So it's basically Ubuntu 12.10, Cr-48, and my HTC One X. I've made the switch to Linux full time you could say for my personal life. So far no complaints here! :)

Oh yeah and most of the programs I use on a daily basis for home use are all open source as well with Firefox, GIMP, VLC etc... aka basically everything but Spotify.

Polari

Sure, it's not strictly Linux, but Haiku Alpha 4 has been released.

The Haiku Project is excited to announce the availability of our fourth official alpha release. A year and four months have passed since the Alpha 3 and the Haiku Project has been busy. The main purpose of this release is to provide interested third party developers with a stable version for testing and development. To aid with that, Haiku includes a rich set of development tools.

This release features many improvements across the board, including:

Bugs – Over 1000 bugs have been fixed since the alpha 3 release.
Debugging – New native Debugger application. Ability to generate QR codes in KDL.
File System – BFS is more robust. Improved NTFS support. Better Blu-ray Disc support.
Hardware – Improved USB OHCI Drivers. Improved CPU identification.
Localization – Improved translations. New keymap switcher application.
Multimedia – New 10-band equalizer.
Networking – Improved network card drivers. New pcnet driver. Early IPv6 support.
OpenGL Kit – Mesa updated to 7.8.2 for gcc2, and 8.1.0-devel for gcc4.
System – Improved virtual memory settings and swap file creation logic.
Video – Support for most Radeon HD chips as well as Intel Extreme chipsets.
Wireless – WPA/WPA2 support. Improved wireless card drivers.
For more about R1 Alpha 4, visit www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/release-notes

Still plenty to do - the main feature to be completed before beta is package management - not to mention that as a developer release it's missing the polish you'd expect if it was targeted at end users, but overall it's an impressive piece of work.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So are Cinnamon and MATE about to get a lot more popular now that Gnome is ditching fall back mode? Or will people fork/update the previous version that does? What a mess...

Massa

can you (or someone) please try the following.

- start gnome 3
- start vlc
- play any video in vlc
- click on your username in the upper right corner and choose "Power Off" (VLC is still playing)
- just click on cancel

-> vlc is closing o_O

it looks like it's VLCs fault, because the rest of the programs I tried just stay open. On Gnome 3.4 I experienced the same shit for more programs, not just vlc... but no program opened again - ie the program was in this "i've got to shutdown"-kinda-of-mode and refused to open again (I had to logout and login again). I'm on Arch, but I saw this VLC-bug on Ubuntu 12.04 too.

weird stuff... and who to blame?
I find it just funny how all this stuff works :D

Sounds like a VLC bug, that's very weird indeed.

So are Cinnamon and MATE about to get a lot more popular now that Gnome is ditching fall back mode? Or will people fork/update the previous version that does? What a mess...

The fallback mode doesn't work all that well already, it's not very well maintained as it is. However, as part of dropping fall back mode the GNOME Shell developers are actually getting serious about creating and maintaining a "classic" mode for the Shell in 3.8 so we'll see how that goes.

MATE is a terrible idea of a project, I don't see it ever getting traction.

Vanillalite

At this point if you want Gnome 2.3X I don't see why people wouldn't just be running XFCE 4.10.

I hate the idea of keeping alive Mate anyways. I get you want the 2.3x Gnome Shell, but ffs there is no need to be maintaing 2.3. Just build it on top of Gnome 3 or use something like LXDE or XFCE instead.

12.10 is annoying me.

I tried to install the proprietary AMD graphic drivers but ran into an open bug--unity won't load on boot up. I tried about 10 different things, nothing worked. Had to reinstall.

And I still can't get audio over HDMI, which was working fine in all the previous versions (using the open source Radeon driver).

I do like the small changes though... just wish things would play nicer.

Krelian

Sure, it's not strictly Linux, but Haiku Alpha 4 has been released.

Still plenty to do - the main feature to be completed before beta is package management - not to mention that as a developer release it's missing the polish you'd expect if it was targeted at end users, but overall it's an impressive piece of work.

Thanks for the news! I'm very interested in Haiku's development. BeOS was a joy to use back in the day. Only problem is although I'm interested I don't see myself actually using Haiku outside a VM. Maybe I should pick up a cheap netbook or something for it.

So in my lab, people like to use different window managers and desktop environments. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a DM that works with all WMs/DEs when it comes to starting a new session from inside a locked session. I mean, they're supposed to, but every now and then I just come up to a situation where clicking the "New User" (or whatever) button simply doesn't work.

Is there any display manager that always has the login screen in a separate vtty that doesn't go away? Normally, the login screen's vtty becomes the logged in session, and when you spawn a new session, it's in a new vtty. But I'd like for the session spawning to happen on login, so I could tell users "Hey, just hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to always get to the login screen to switch users!"

Any way to do this?

Vanillalite

Went back to a more minimalist look... SOURCE!

screenshotfrom2012-11vfdks.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fuck this shit

I need to install Skype on Ubuntu 12.10

When I try to do it through repositories I get this:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

When I download Skype from the official site I get this:

Selecting previously unselected package skype.
(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
(Reading database ... 10%
(Reading database ... 15%
(Reading database ... 20%
(Reading database ... 25%
(Reading database ... 30%
(Reading database ... 35%
(Reading database ... 40%
(Reading database ... 45%
(Reading database ... 50%
(Reading database ... 55%
(Reading database ... 60%
(Reading database ... 65%
(Reading database ... 70%
(Reading database ... 75%
(Reading database ... 80%
(Reading database ... 85%
(Reading database ... 90%
(Reading database ... 95%
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 187512 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking skype (from .../skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.8-1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of skype:
skype depends on ia32-libs; however:
Package ia32-libs is not installed.

dpkg: error processing skype (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...

I need this app. What to do?

zoku88

fuck this shit

I need to install Skype on Ubuntu 12.10

When I try to do it through repositories I get this:

When I download Skype from the official site I get this:

I need this app. What to do?

You're missing ia32-libs (32 bit compatibility libraries.) You need to install it.

You should probably figure out why you aren't able to use the repos though. That error... isn't very verbose...

Vanillalite

is that... cinnamon?

Nope.

It's interesting though as I get that question asked a lot about my desktop. Not necessarly cinnamon persay, but just was general gui and I using. I think my minimalist desktop style really throws people for a loop, and I guess (though maybe I'm wrong here) that people are shocked when I say it's stock Ubuntu aka Gnone 3 + Unity.

Ah, wow, Archlinux is like the king of stuff randomly breaking after an update. I still loves it hard.

For reasons involving being in a federal disaster zone, I couldn't do a pacman -Syu for weeks. Now that I did it, sound devices are not recognized unless you're root. So I have no sound unless I go to a vtty, log in as root, and start a manual X11 session.

I tried a bunch of things, like removing config files for alsa and pulseaudio, killing pulseaudio and restarting it, removing pulseaudio entirely, and so on. I have not been able to change this. I'm thinking that maybe I could add my regular user to the "wheel" group, which is something that I think will not help. I think it's probable that I might be able to, er, go into /etc/something/udev.rules or something like that and make sure that the permissions to /dev/sound (or similarly named applicable devices) can be read by regular users. Are there any other ideas I could look into?

(edit)
Also, Mandriva's "urmpi" and Opensuse's "zypper" can handle both repository packages and manually downloaded packages, and this has been the case for the greater part of a decade. It's pretty silly that apt still can't just transparently call dpkg when it's called on a physical file to find dependencies then autohandle the dependencies and run dpkg again to install the deb file.
(editedit: this is a rant having to do with the above ia32-libs/skype issue)

peakish

Ah, wow, Archlinux is like the king of stuff randomly breaking after an update. I still loves it hard.

For reasons involving being in a federal disaster zone, I couldn't do a pacman -Syu for weeks. Now that I did it, sound devices are not recognized unless you're root. So I have no sound unless I go to a vtty, log in as root, and start a manual X11 session.

I tried a bunch of things, like removing config files for alsa and pulseaudio, killing pulseaudio and restarting it, removing pulseaudio entirely, and so on. I have not been able to change this. I'm thinking that maybe I could add my regular user to the "wheel" group, which is something that I think will not help. I think it's probable that I might be able to, er, go into /etc/something/udev.rules or something like that and make sure that the permissions to /dev/sound (or similarly named applicable devices) can be read by regular users. Are there any other ideas I could look into?
If you've used ConsoleKit, have you updated to logind as per this post? That could break some permissions stuff. Not sure if that's covered by "a few weeks" ...

If you've used ConsoleKit, have you updated to logind as per this post? That could break some permissions stuff. Not sure if that's covered by "a few weeks" ...

Hm, I guess I do.

Code:
$ pgrep -fl console
12258 console-kit-dae
$ pgrep -fl systemd
163 systemd-udevd

However,

Code:
$ sudo pacman -S systemd-logind
error: target not found: systemd-logind

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Ss logind
$

The specified package seems to not exist (even after forcing the repos to refresh).

subversus

Open up a terminal and try...

Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

again, judging from the link I posted it seems that the problem is known and it is being fixed.

This what I got:

Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

peakish

Hm, I guess I do.

Code:
$ pgrep -fl console
12258 console-kit-dae
$ pgrep -fl systemd
163 systemd-udevd

However,

Code:
$ sudo pacman -S systemd-logind
error: target not found: systemd-logind

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Ss logind
$

The specified package seems to not exist (even after forcing the repos to refresh).
I think it's just a part of the overall systemd package.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Consolekit#Replacing_ConsoleKit_with_systemd-logind
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

Ohh, okay. Yeah, I'm totally up to date with systemd. consolekit refuses to remove on account of hal requiring it.

Good gravy, those links are brainscratchers. I actually have no idea what exactly I'm supposed to do.

Let's see…

"An easy method to be able to remove ConsoleKit is to automatically log in to a virtual console and start X from there."

To do that,

"Create a new service file similar to getty@.service by copying it to
/etc/systemd/system/"

"Once created you can link the new autologin@.service to your chosen tty, e.g.
tty1,
tty2, [...]
tty8, etc., by specifying it as an alias in the
[Install] section of
the unit file. Accordingly, change the value of ExecStart in
autologin@.service"

This stuff is way more low level than any user, even an arch user, should have to expect to go!

peakish

Ohh, okay. Yeah, I'm totally up to date with systemd. consolekit refuses to remove on account of hal requiring it.

Good gravy, those links are brainscratchers. I actually have no idea what exactly I'm supposed to do.

Let's see…

"An easy method to be able to remove ConsoleKit is to automatically log in to a virtual console and start X from there."

To do that,

"Create a new service file similar to getty@.service by copying it to
/etc/systemd/system/"

"Once created you can link the new autologin@.service to your chosen tty, e.g.
tty1,
tty2, [...]
tty8, etc., by specifying it as an alias in the
[Install] section of
the unit file. Accordingly, change the value of ExecStart in
autologin@.service"

This stuff is way more low level than any user, even an arch user, should have to expect to go!
Seems very messy, I just removed it after the switch. But I haven't been running HAL since a few years back. I though it was obsolete at this point, replaced by udev?

Seems very messy, I just removed it after the switch. But I haven't been running HAL since a few years back. I though it was obsolete at this point, replaced by udev?

Wait, hal isn't necessary?

edit: oh, snap, nothing depends on it!

editedit: I just kind of assumed that it was critical. I mean, you know, computers sort of have to have a hardware abstraction layer!

peakish

editedit: I just kind of assumed that it was critical. I mean, you know, computers sort of have to have a hardware abstraction layer!
Haha, I remember being surprised about it missing during some reinstall, later hearing about the replacement. I wasn't sure if it was still used for something, but it's apparently been completely removed from the repositories.

Since then I've been better about reading the frontpage news and keeping up with changes in systems.

zoku88

The only things that I've found that requires hal are Amazon's video player and vmplayer, IIRC
Haha, I remember being surprised about it missing during some reinstall, later hearing about the replacement. I wasn't sure if it was still used for something, but it's apparently been completely removed from the repositories.

Since then I've been better about reading the frontpage news and keeping up with changes in systems.

Yea, it's only in the AUR now.

subversus

I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 and yes, Skype works there just fine.

I've to say that I'm very impressed with Ubuntu 12.10. It works much faster than 12.04 (at least it installs everything much faster). At least it does on my laptop. 12.04 chugs sometimes when I install something or something downloads very fast. But may be it's my HDD, I don't know really.

Also this was my third install and now I'm starting to get the hang of it. It isn't more complicated than Windows, you just have to know where some basic stuff is and a couple of commands for Terminal. If I had to run Windows for the first time I would have the same problems. I don't have them just because I have 20 years of practice (and even with this experience I have to research some basic sometimes).

Canonical needs better marketing and Windows 9-10 leaving Desktop out. Then Linux may take off into mainstream.

peakish

I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 and yes, Skype works there just fine.

I've to say that I'm very impressed with Ubuntu 12.10. It works much faster than 12.04 (at least it installs everything much faster). At least it does on my laptop. 12.04 chugs sometimes when I install something or something downloads very fast. But may be it's my HDD, I don't know really.

Also this was my third install and now I'm starting to get the hang of it. It isn't more complicated than Windows, you just have to know where some basic stuff is and a couple of commands for Terminal. If I had to run Windows for the first time I would have the same problems. I don't have them just because I have 20 years of practice (and even with this experience I have to research some basic sometimes).

Canonical needs better marketing and Windows 9-10 leaving Desktop out. Then Linux may take off into mainstream.
Nice that you got it to work and is enjoying it, but I'd say it needs to be more stable if you've had to downgrade to get a pretty big program to work correctly, hehe.

I like Canonical for what they're pushing with Linux For Masses, but in a lot of ways they seem to be throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks instead of working on the basics. It's a good, but a bit too unstable and sometimes weirdly experimental, user experience.

subversus

Well, they could've marked 12.10 as BETA, I wouldn't have downloaded it but I agree, they seem to miss some basic things to make this into user-friendly experience.

May be Valve will help them with that or they'll make some distro together.

zoku88

Well, they could've marked 12.10 as BETA, I wouldn't have downloaded it but I agree, they seem to miss some basic things to make this into user-friendly experience.

?

12.10 is the latest release. It isn't a beta release.

12.04 is the LTS (long-term support) release.

peakish

?

12.10 is the latest release. It isn't a beta release.

12.04 is the LTS (long-term support) release.
Yeah, 12.10 should be stable. I do think they should do a better job promoting their LTS releases as the ones for most users, and their non-LTS for those who want the latest stuff but are okay with less stability. Things breaking would be more okay then, as would early versions of new features.

Re: Valve, while I'm not expecting tons of games to get Linux binaries from their platform support I do think that it might bring enough new users to the table to get better driver support from manufacturers (the new Nvidia drivers already points to this) and higher expectations of stability.

zoku88

Yeah, 12.10 should be stable. I do think they should do a better job promoting their LTS releases as the ones for most users, and their non-LTS for those who want the latest stuff but are okay with less stability. Things breaking would be more okay then, as would early versions of new features.

Re: Valve, while I'm not expecting tons of games to get Linux binaries from their platform support I do think that it might bring enough new users to the table to get better driver support from manufacturers (the new Nvidia drivers already points to this) and higher expectations of stability.
It feels like someone really needs to create better error messages for aptitude. It feels like whenever someone posts about not being able to install a package in Ubuntu, the error message is always just " oops, couldn't install the package" and nothing else useful...

Massa

It feels like someone really needs to create better error messages for aptitude. It feels like whenever someone posts about not being able to install a package in Ubuntu, the error message is always just " oops, couldn't install the package" and nothing else useful...

People shouldn't be using APT/aptitude in the first place. The whole point of the software center is to get all that "just working", and if you double-click a .deb package from Nautilus it will open it with the software center as far as I know.

subversus

one of accessibility problems is that they let you download everything and it doesn't install. For example I downloaded new Nvidia drivers today and received Server X running error. So I went into Gnome and started doing everything through command line. I felt like I'm in DOS but without Norton Commander. And in the end I wasn't able to install it.

All I had to is to get it from current repository - one line in Terminal.

They need to do some closed down foolproof distro, something like Mac OS to get this thing going.

edit: or I could get it from Software center but I thought the driver there was outdated because there are two very old versions there. "Current" could mean anything.

zoku88

People shouldn't be using APT/aptitude in the first place. The whole point of the software center is to get all that "just working", and if you double-click a .deb package from Nautilus it will open it with the software center as far as I know.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I don't find GUI front-ends for package managers to be particularly useful (or even that easy) compared to their CLI counterparts, especially since most of the interaction is installing (one command), searching for installable packages (one command, maybe piped with less or something), removing (also one command) and seeing a list of installed packages (also one command, but I don't really do this.) I can see the last command maybe being more manageable in a GUI form (if you don't like less or something), but I don't see the other three being really easier or faster...

So, to me, it's understandable that someone would try to install a package using APT/aptitude. I don't really have much experience with APT/aptitude though (I don't even remember which is the frontend of which.)

I'm not sure if using Software Center would have helped him anyway, though. I actually think it would have spit out an error as well and IIRC, the errors from the Software Center weren't all that useful as well... At least, I remember having some trouble installing.. something... Can't remember though.
one of accessibility problems is that they let you download everything and it doesn't install. For example I downloaded new Nvidia drivers today and received Server X running error. So I went into Gnome and started doing everything through command line. I felt like I'm in DOS but without Norton Commander. And in the end I wasn't able to install it.

They need to do some closed down foolproof distro, something like Mac OS to get this thing going.

edit: or I could get it from Software center but I thought the driver there was outdated because there are two very old versions there. "Current" could mean anything.
I don't really think that's a good idea....

But yea, do you mean you downloaded them from nvidia and tried to install them? Never do that. I recommend against installing important things outside of your package manager. If something is important, but the official repos are lagging behind, you should probably look for a PPA to install from or something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

System76 devices are basically this except without the whole locked-down totalitarian part. Ubuntu is pretty great (Unity isn't, but it's probably fine for noobs) and the drivers are always impeccable on the parts System76 chooses.

Massa

That's kind of the problem. nVidia doesn't release drivers specifically for Ubuntu, and unless you really know what you're doing you will break your system if you try to install it from them. The correct approach is to either wait for Ubuntu to do some QA and integrate those drivers into their software repository or find a third party that did that themselves (in the Ubuntu world, that's what the PPA's are for). Basically, wait for a version of the software specifically packaged for Ubuntu.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I don't find GUI front-ends for package managers to be particularly useful (or even that easy) compared to their CLI counterparts, especially since most of the interaction is installing (one command), searching for installable packages (one command, maybe piped with less or something), removing (also one command) and seeing a list of installed packages (also one command, but I don't really do this.) I can see the last command maybe being more manageable in a GUI form (if you don't like less or something), but I don't see the other three being really easier or faster...

So, to me, it's understandable that someone would try to install a package using APT/aptitude. I don't really have much experience with APT/aptitude though (I don't even remember which is the frontend of which.)

I'm not sure if using Software Center would have helped him anyway, though. I actually think it would have spit out an error as well and IIRC, the errors from the Software Center weren't all that useful as well... At least, I remember having some trouble installing.. something... Can't remember though.

I don't really think that's a good idea....

But yea, do you mean you downloaded them from nvidia and tried to install them? Never do that. I recommend against installing important things outside of your package manager. If something is important, but the official repos are lagging behind, you should probably look for a PPA to install from or something.

APT is usually safe, but it's very easy to break a Debian/Ubuntu system using dpkg or doing things manually (like using the nVidia installer script which will overwrite files owned by the package manager).

APT is usually safe, but it's very easy to break a Debian/Ubuntu system using dpkg or doing things manually (like using the nVidia installer script which will overwrite files owned by the package manager).

I'm a bit confused about the matter. In my mind, aptitude and synaptic (as well as the equivalents on other distros) are "software centers". How does this Ubuntu Software Center differ exactly?

Hrm. Sound problem did not change after doing away with hal and consolekit (and rebooting). I'm adding my user to the "audio" group to see if access to the /dev/snd/ tree helps.

edit: Yep, that did it. Now I should really attend to all those scary red all your configs are deprecated, ha ha ha messages.

zoku88

I'm a bit confused about the matter. In my mind, aptitude and synaptic (as well as the equivalents on other distros) are "software centers". How does this Ubuntu Software Center differ exactly?

Hrm. Sound problem did not change after doing away with hal and consolekit (and rebooting). I'm adding my user to the "audio" group to see if access to the /dev/snd/ tree helps.

edit: Yep, that did it. Now I should really attend to all those scary red all your configs are deprecated, ha ha ha messages.

Oh, before the edit, I was going to suggest looking at alsamixer to make sure nothing was muted in there.

I've....been stuck on it before...

For your software center question, I think all of those are frontends for APT. But I think Ubuntu Software Center has other stuff included with it to allow you to actually buy software from companies on it? I think I remember there being at least World of Goo on it. Not sure if you can buy that just by using apt-get (?)

Vanillalite

I never thought I'd see the day. That project seemd forever stuck on Jupiter. So much so that they took down the links to download Jupiter because the dev team admitted it was hella old, and they just said please keep waiting for Luna.

Minimal desktop you say?

Suck it Brett. >:D

Hey I never said that didn't look good! It does!

I've just gotten several comments in other threads or pms asking about what gui I use. I think auto hiding the unity bar throws people for a loop and my top bar doesn't scream Gnome Shell like yours.

I like your wallpaper btw! *hugs* <3

subversus

Strange shit happens on 12.04.

When I installed 12.10 on my Asus with 520m card it had installed all necessary drivers right of the bat. Now perfomance in Blender is good, no screentearing in videos, etc.

But I have like 25 fps with a simple cube in Blender on GTX 670 and constant screentearing. What gives?

upd: it tears in VLC only. Hm... I need some free game to try out.

upd: it tears everywhere but it seems that it's Unity issue. No biggie, will try Xubuntu some day. I have Windows for entertainment, Ubuntu is a working environment for now.

Strange shit happens on 12.04.

When I installed 12.10 on my Asus with 520m card it had installed all necessary drivers right of the bat. Now perfomance in Blender is good, no screentearing in videos, etc.

But I have like 25 fps with a simple cube in Blender on GTX 670 and constant screentearing. What gives?

upd: it tears in VLC only. Hm... I need some free game to try out.

upd: it tears everywhere but it seems that it's Unity issue. No biggie, will try Xubuntu some day. I have Windows for entertainment, Ubuntu is a working environment for now.

Yeah, I was having tearing everywhere in ubuntu 12.04 with Nvidia and Composite enabled. If you want to get rid of tearing in 12.04, use Unity 2D, or install another DE like Cinnamon and run Cinnamon 2D.

In 12.10 with the new nvidia drivers composite works fantastic.

Top Bottom