• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Massa

Could you guys give me link where i can read more about Elementary Luna?

www.elementaryos.org. Luna is the next release, currently in beta. I believe it is based on Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS), with a custom desktop environment based on GNOME 3.

Guys, I have question to all of you guys.

Whats the best version of Linux to install on an old Intel Pentium 3 Server... I was going to install Ubuntu on it... Bu then I was thinking of going with Red Hat. What do you guys recommend. Its an ancient server, but its going to be used for Data Storage.

Thank you in advance. :)

Try CentOS 5, 5.9 being the latest release.

Is there anything better than Linux Mint atm? People are hyping Elementary but I don't trust a beta; for now.

Mint appears to have trouble, especially since every now and then it'd install a broken package by accident or I dunno and I'd boot up my computer the next day to find an unpleasant surprise of troubleshooting.

Something much like Ubuntu would be awesome but I'm content with Mint if there isn't anything better currently.

flowsnake

Guys, I have question to all of you guys.

Whats the best version of Linux to install on an old Intel Pentium 3 Server... I was going to install Ubuntu on it... Bu then I was thinking of going with Red Hat. What do you guys recommend. Its an ancient server, but its going to be used for Data Storage.

Thank you in advance. :)

From my knowledge I would recommend a minimal installation of Debian, but you probably can't really go wrong with a minimal installation CentOS or most other distros.

Different distros have different system requirements so make sure you check.

For example:

Ubuntu Server (CLI) Installation

300 MHz x86 processor
128 MiB of system memory (RAM)
1 GB of disk space
Graphics card and monitor capable of 640x480
CD drive

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Elementary's best ideas are just copied from Gnome Shell wholesale anyways.

I've been out of the Linux game for awhile (Last distro I checked out was Redhat)
Is it worth jumping back into? If so, what distro do most people recommend?

Ubuntu 12.10 + Gnome Shell 3.6

Pctx

Banned
I really do hate desktop linux. Server linux tho... you so sexy!
3AQmK.gif

Pctx

Banned
Gnome Shell >>> Windows 8 and OS X combined

yes yes we know. GNOME does do a nice thing of not getting in the way like the other UI's.

I actually just watched a TED talk where they were discussing how the UI is the OS. Thought that was pretty profound and something that people don't really think about these days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
yes yes we know. GNOME does do a nice thing of not getting in the way like the other UI's.

I actually just watched a TED talk where they were discussing how the UI is the OS. Thought that was pretty profound and something that people don't really think about these days.

Link me baby!

Victarion

Anyone knows how can I change neogaf's font size on chromium? It's extremely small and painful to read. Every other website is fine on my browser, it's just neogaf.

I tried using chromium's font size setting but nope, nothing changes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone knows how can I change neogaf's font size on chromium? It's extremely small and painful to read. Every other website is fine on my browser, it's just neogaf.

I tried using chromium's font size setting but nope, nothing changes.

Install mscorefonts.

hitsugi

Thanks~

When were you juniored?

Install Gnome Shell.

You may be the biggest promoter of Gnome Shell that I've seen..

a while back, maybe a year ago, I recall Gnome Shell receiving a lot of hate.

What is so great about it now? I fluctuate, but currently use cinnamon and have no qualms with it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Polari and me are kinda the Gnome Knights here on GAF, lol.

It's just... across what I've used (Windows XP/Vista/7, OS X, Gnome 2, and Unity) it's definitely the most fluid and cohesive desktop operating system and it gets better all the time. 3.6 is incredibly amazing, with better notifications, beautiful lock screen, Adwaita Dark becoming included by default, fantastically redesigned Nautilus, etc. etc. It has the absolute best workspace management I've ever seen, its use of hot corners (especially for activities) is subtle and intuitive...

I'm a vain computer user and from my vantage point, Gnome Shell is the most beautiful I've ever seen an OS look. That would be enough on its own, but each new release refines things even further and makes it even more robust and powerful.

injurai

Banned

What is so great about it now? I fluctuate, but currently use cinnamon and have no qualms with it.

Gnome has never really clicked with me. Cinnamon is much preferred, I even prefer Unity over all this Gnome3 stuff.

Hieberrr

God, is there any way to get rid of that bar? I absolutely despise the taskbar thing in ubuntu (left side thing)
You can hide it, but the only other option is to install another desktop environment.

Is there a way to remove the icon on the taskbar in gnome (when the application is running?. I hate the faded icon look. It's probably the only thing keeping me from using it.

Still rock'n Luna as my daily default desktop.
How is it running? Can you double click to open stuff noe or is it still limited to single click?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gnome has never really clicked with me. Cinnamon is much preferred, I even prefer Unity over all this Gnome3 stuff.

Blasphemy.

Double blasphemy.
You still rocking Chrome OS too though, right?

You can hide it, but the only other option is to install another desktop environment.

Is there a way to remove the icon on the taskbar in gnome (when the application is running?. I hate the faded icon look. It's probably the only thing keeping me from using it.

What do you mean? Faded icon...? You mean the white tray-ish effect on running programs?

peakish

Well it's not much greater now than at release, though quite a bit more polished as things are coming together. I'd wager most users who hated it back then still do, they've just moved on to other environments, better suited for their uses. Or come to like it after the initial shock. Who knows.

The application menu, often only containing "Quit" (ie. this: http://www.abload.de/img/application-menubeous.png)? The plan is to move more options to it, some (I guess mostly Gnome) applications have already begun, so I don't think removing it is recommended, hehe. I do agree about it looking a bit out of place, the rest of the top bar has such a unified look which it breaks.

Jzero

whys it so hard to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu...?
Because Windows 8 uses a different type of booting ('Fast Startup') and which is why it boots so damn fast.

Turn off Fast Startup if you want it to be easier to dualboot.

I really hope they don't change it too much when the stable build is released because right now Luna is my favorite version of linux.

injurai

Banned
Okay guys I need a good command line text editor that has good syntax highlighting for C.

Vim is okay, but I hate navigation through code (don't preach to me about it, I like it enough)
Emacs is the bane of my existence, but has been handy at times...

Honestly Nano is the best I've used via command line, but I'm having trouble with highlighting my works. Looking for advice.

Hieberrr

The application menu, often only containing "Quit" (ie. this: http://www.abload.de/img/application-menubeous.png)? The plan is to move more options to it, some (I guess mostly Gnome) applications have already begun, so I don't think removing it is recommended, hehe. I do agree about it looking a bit out of place, the rest of the top bar has such a unified look which it breaks.
Iono, I just want to remove the icon. I'm fine with everything else.

Angry Fork

Not sure if this is the best thread to post it in but am having problems trying to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 7. The issue is there's no option when you turn on the computer to pick either ubuntu or Win 7, it just goes straight to Windows.

I've tried ubuntu with wubi before and it has worked properly but I've heard wubi is mainly for testing it out and you should install the proper partition way if you plan on using ubuntu for good. I'm new to it btw so have no clue how to use it really, no clue about the terminal and so on beyond what i copy paste from google results.

Okay so I burn ubuntu to a disc, install it, during installation i select install alongside win 7. It restarts but it just goes straight into Windows. I check drive manager and the new partition is there so I'm annoyed wondering why it isn't working.

So I google and this says to try boot repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I burn secure remix 64 bit, boot it, select 'try it', then go to boot repair and it says it was done successfully. I restarted the computer but it's still the same, no option to select ubuntu. What do I do? Thanks.

injurai

Banned
Not sure if this is the best thread to post it in but am having problems trying to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 7. The issue is there's no option when you turn on the computer to pick either ubuntu or Win 7, it just goes straight to Windows.

I've tried ubuntu with wubi before and it has worked properly but I've heard wubi is mainly for testing it out and you should install the proper partition way if you plan on using ubuntu for good. I'm new to it btw so have no clue how to use it really, no clue about the terminal and so on beyond what i copy paste from google results.

Okay so I burn ubuntu to a disc, install it, during installation i select install alongside win 7. It restarts but it just goes straight into Windows. I check drive manager and the new partition is there so I'm annoyed wondering why it isn't working.

So I google and this says to try boot repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I burn secure remix 64 bit, boot it, select 'try it', then go to boot repair and it says it was done successfully. I restarted the computer but it's still the same, no option to select ubuntu. What do I do? Thanks.

If this is UEFI It's because you didn't set up your partition correctly within the GUID Partition Table. Assuming thats the case you would have to reformat everything to get the boot table set up correctly (at least from what I went through when I had the same issue) I'm not using legacy mode with a GRUB boot loader.

However to give you some hope, I jumped into dealing with UEFI before I know everything I needed to, even though I had done my research. Anyways It would have required a factory reset to fix and I opted for legacy bios. I'm assuming its UEFI related based on the link and nature of the issue.

Angry Fork

If this is UEFI It's because you didn't set up your partition correctly within the GUID Partition Table. Assuming thats the case you would have to reformat everything to get the boot table set up correctly (at least from what I went through when I had the same issue) I'm not using legacy mode with a GRUB boot loader.

However to give you some hope, I jumped into dealing with UEFI before I know everything I needed to, even though I had done my research. Anyways It would have required a factory reset to fix and I opted for legacy bios. I'm assuming its UEFI related based on the link and nature of the issue.

I had a feeling it was something like this based on forum posts on other linux forums but I have no clue what any of this is. I don't know what UEFI is or anything linux-related but I'm interested. I'm just scared of doing damage to my win 7 partition/boot settings.

I've deleted the partitioned space before and then it just says 'free space'. Then when I googled I saw responses on how to install ubuntu on free space via 'somethingelse' option during installation but it required adding some swap partition and other various complex stuff that I have no clue if I'd be doing it correctly or not.

So if I can't do this properly is my free space essentially gone now or something? Can I still use it via wubi? There has to be a way to install again using that partitioned space just a different way isn't there?

injurai

Banned
I had a feeling it was something like this based on forum posts on other linux forums but I have no clue what any of this is. I don't know what UEFI is or anything linux-related but I'm interested. I'm just scared of doing damage to my win 7 partition/boot settings.

I've deleted the partitioned space before and then it just says 'free space'. Then when I googled I saw responses on how to install ubuntu on free space via 'somethingelse' option during installation but it required adding some swap partition and other various complex stuff that I have no clue if I'd be doing it correctly or not.

So if I can't do this properly is my free space essentially gone now or something? Can I still use it via wubi? There has to be a way to install again using that partitioned space just a different way isn't there?

From what I can see is that it's a conflict with the GUID Partition Table and how UEFI works. If that space was defined in WUBI then you can just uninstall Ubuntu and you will get it back. If you partitioned it yourself then it may be possible to integrate that part back into your windows partion from inside of windows. Otherwise you could perhaps trying repairing things with gParted on a live linux cd.

But essentially in my case I had to actually reformat everything, with out the Guid Partition table their, and use legacy bios that my system had the option of using.

I have a Sony Vaio S btw, and I read over a huge owners forum and even then I managed to fuck everything to shit. In otherwords fuck UEFI, it's poorly documented and hardware manufacturers don't like you tinkering.

Angry Fork

The wubi installation was way back a long time ago not during this installation so that doesn't affect this. But yea all these terms are going way over my head since I don't know what they are. By reformat do you mean the entire drive including Win 7 or just the partitioned space created for ubuntu?

Hopefully someone can give me a step by step on what to do =( Going to google more but it seems like I'll have to do something with bios or change some allocation settings during a new installation which I have no clue how to do so maybe I'll just end up deleting the info on the partitioned space and then see if I can use wubi with that. But while googling some people have said wubi lags more or something and shouldn't be used as a long term solution so idk.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay guys I need a good command line text editor that has good syntax highlighting for C.

Vim is okay, but I hate navigation through code (don't preach to me about it, I like it enough)

Honestly Nano is the best I've used via command line, but I'm having trouble with highlighting my works. Looking for advice.

I would suggest Nano, but you already said that. Maybe try just plan old Gedit or Kate?

thcsquad

Those are the only three command line text editors I've ever heard of. If command-line is a must, then I thnk you'll just have to pick one of the three and learn to do what you want to do with it. I personally prefer vi but I'm sure all of them are plenty capable of highlighting

Hieberrr

So guys, should I go with 12.04 or 12.10?

I'd like to update to 13.04 when it comes out and I want the update to be seamless. I tried 12.10, but I had some issues with performance (it runs noticeably slower than W7) and Flash videos are playing way too fast.

EDIT: Just found out that my ATI HD 5450 doesn't play nice with 12.10. Balls.

markot

Banned
I have uefi but not secure boot >_<

Is wubi much 'worse' then a proper install?

I dont like how it has to 'double' boot to get into ubuntu. But I dont want to turn off fast boot!

Pctx

Banned
So guys, should I go with 12.04 or 12.10?

I'd like to update to 13.04 when it comes out and I want the update to be seamless. I tried 12.10, but I had some issues with performance (it runs noticeably slower than W7) and Flash videos are playing way too fast.

EDIT: Just found out that my ATI HD 5450 doesn't play nice with 12.10. Balls.

Always LTS. If there's one thing I've learned if you have to use Ubuntu is you stick with the LTS versions.

Top Bottom