• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Hieberrr

I ended up installing 12.04 and then replacing it with Elementary OS Beta 1. eOS works like a charm and it's blazing fast without any bloatware (that Ubuntu comes with). The only downsides are that the desktop is pretty useless (it's there to look pretty) and there's no minimize button (but I've set up a hot corner for that).

markot

Banned
Alsooooooooooooooo

Why does firefox have such an ugly default theme for ubuntu >_< even the stupid home icon is awfully.

Also, how do I make the text bigger just in neogaf? Its the only website thats just weird.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Can't you just press CTRL + = [the key with = and +] to make text larger?

I ended up installing 12.04 and then replacing it with Elementary OS Beta 1. eOS works like a charm and it's blazing fast without any bloatware (that Ubuntu comes with). The only downsides are that the desktop is pretty useless (it's there to look pretty) and there's no minimize button (but I've set up a hot corner for that).
That looks nice. As an alternative to Ubuntu, I'd probably just go with Debian or Mint, but eOS looks really nice.

I recently installed Sabayon on a VM, since I couldn't install Gentoo. I think it feels alright so far, but also a little odd having to use equo instead of portage for their packages.

markot

Banned
Ty

Um...

So with steam, I tried out trine just to see how it ran, and its ok. Buuut, if I run in full screen mode it takes up both my screens >_< how do I make it go full screen in just one?!

Doesnt happen in TF2 at least. Although maxing out one of the mxaa thingys made it abit buggy, but when I toned it down it was super smooth... almost weirdly so...

Hieberrr

What a thing of beauty!
oiKn4C1.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of exploring outside of Unity, but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I've never used Gnome before but I know it's popular here - I've always been okay with Unity but lately it's been buggy on me (running 12.10).

Any tutorials available for navigating around Gnome? Would appreciate it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thinking of exploring outside of Unity, but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I've never used Gnome before but I know it's popular here - I've always been okay with Unity but lately it's been buggy on me (running 12.10).

I would just install Gnome Shell and play around with it. It doesn't take a lot to figure out, the only adjustment to your thinking you might have to make is getting used to Overview mode, which is where you launch apps and manage workspaces.

Otherwise it should mostly be self explanatory. :)

injurai

Banned

Cinnamon then never look back.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I think I have the Gnome shell already installed. Sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm still relatively new to Linux despite using it for almost 2 yrs), but you're talking about the Gnome environment you select when you're on the login screen correct?

I've been interested in Linux Mint and I did install Cinnamon on Ubuntu but wasn't a fan TBH. It looked really nice but didn't click with me.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Gnome 3 is really slick. I've got to get used to the different short cuts and navigation, but it's pretty awesome :D.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Glad you like it! Here's some keyboard shortcuts I use multiple times a day:

Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down = Switch workspaces
Super+M = Message tray
Super = Overview mode (lol)
Super, then start typing = search apps (then Enter to launch)
Super+Left/Right = Snap current window to that part of the screen
Alt+Tab = Switch between running apps
Alt+` = Switch between windows of the same app
Ctrl+Click app in the dock = Open new instance of that app

Here's some other ones but they're probably not as relevant.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Glad you like it! Here's some keyboard shortcuts I use multiple times a day:

Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down = Switch workspaces
Super+M = Message tray
Super = Overview mode (lol)
Super, then start typing = search apps (then Enter to launch)
Super+Left/Right = Snap current window to that part of the screen
Alt+Tab = Switch between running apps
Alt+` = Switch between windows of the same app
Ctrl+Click app in the dock = Open new instance of that app

Here's some other ones but they're probably not as relevant.

Thanks for that! It'll take a few days to get used to some of those, but a lot are similar to Unity.

Also I was wondering if there's a comparison video on anything between Gnome and Unity, or a beginners guide to Gnome? I looked on YouTube but I haven't found what I'm looking for.

injurai

Banned
I'll be honest I haven't really tried Gnome 3 much at all. I'm not really a purest in terms of the unix world. More of a windows guy so thats why I like Cinnamon. Unity was fine for me too for the most part.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can I install it in Mint easily? Or should I just try out a Fedora distro or something of the likes?

Pretty sure Mint actually ships with Gnome 3, just a customized version.

Ah yeah:

Linux Mint 12 comes with a brand new desktop, built with Gnome 3 and MGSE.

"MGSE" (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions) is a desktop layer on top of Gnome 3 that makes it possible for you to use Gnome 3 in a traditional way. You can disable all components within MGSE to get a pure Gnome 3 experience, or you can enable all of them to get a Gnome 3 desktop that is similar to what you&#8217;ve been using before. Of course you can also pick and only enable the components you like to design your own desktop.

So I would try disabling MGSE I suppose?

Edit- Taken out in Mint 14.

This link might help: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/install-gnome-shell-36-and-gnome-shell.html

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center
sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

Or something like that. Not liable if this breaks. :p Via here.

Choosing GDM over MDM gives you the gorgeous new lock/login screen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Andrex, I was wondering if you know how to set up the menu UI for folders like in the WebUpd8 video you linked me? Looks pretty snazzy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ya...

I'll be re-installing mint tomorrow... good thing nothing important was stored on it... I hope grub doesn't give me a problem.

Did I really kill your system?! O_O

I am so sorry!

Hey Andrex, I was wondering if you know how to set up the menu UI for folders like in the WebUpd8 video you linked me? Looks pretty snazzy.

You mean the new file manager (Nautilus)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yup. That's the one!

I actually don't have it installed yet either, so let's see...

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-to-install-nautilus-36-or-patched.html

Web Upd8 is usually legit, uhh... try not to fry your system, I couldn't take the guilt. :p

ehh I killed it, after receiving a warning. But it is wrecked. I save all my files on my Windows partition anyways so only a few make files that I had were lost. no big deal.

What did it?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thanks for that.

Right now I'm following this http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-to-get-complete-gnome-3-desktop-in.html but I don't know what the result will be. lol.

If it fails I'll try the link you provided as well.

Post screenshots if it goes through, I wanna see the juicy new Nautilus in action.

Yeah I just need to reformat. Though hopefully that wont remove grub since that is whats booting windows currently...

anyways im going to bed and will fix this tomorrow.

Good luck.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Worked out pretty well for the most part ... but uh, I can't right click my desktop and I don't see icons on my desktop anymore.

I'm freaking out. Did I somehow mess this up real bad?

Edit: I fixed it, went into dconf-editor and then org > gnome > desktop > background and I checked the "show desktop icons" box, right click works again and I see my icons.

peakish

Worked out pretty well for the most part ... but uh, I can't right click my desktop and I don't see icons on my desktop anymore.

I'm freaking out. Did I somehow mess this up real bad?

Edit: I fixed it, went into dconf-editor and then org > gnome > desktop > background and I checked the "show desktop icons" box, right click works again and I see my icons.
Eww, desktop icons.

:)

Just remember to use those workspaces, that's what makes Gnome satisfying to me. Don't minimise programs, move them. Find comfortable layouts for your most used software and navigate to them quickly using the keyboard shortcuts. Right now I usually keep a "terminal/work view" a work space above my browser and my email and music one or two below depending on my mood. Switching work spaces is quick enough that one or two extra taps barely adds anything if I'm unsure of where I put it down below, as long as I have my direction clear.

markot

Banned
Gnome 3 is much better than Unity.

But its still got some weird choices. (No minimise! No tabs on top for multiple opened kachiggas!)

peakish

Gnome 3 is much better than Unity.

But its still got some weird choices. (No minimise! No tabs on top for multiple opened kachiggas!)
It actually has minimise, but since their design doesn't work well with it and instead suggests another way to accomplish the same thing (move it to another workspace) it's not visible in the top bar. For 3.8 they will rename it to "Hide" and give it the shortcut Super+H since that's more in line with what it does in the environment.

Top Bottom