• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Try Gnome Tweak tool, I think there's an option for it there.
I'll have a look at that. Thanks.
Eww, desktop icons.

:)

Just remember to use those workspaces, that's what makes Gnome satisfying to me. Don't minimise programs, move them. Find comfortable layouts for your most used software and navigate to them quickly using the keyboard shortcuts. Right now I usually keep a "terminal/work view" a work space above my browser and my email and music one or two below depending on my mood. Switching work spaces is quick enough that one or two extra taps barely adds anything if I'm unsure of where I put it down below, as long as I have my direction clear.

I agree! I only noticed because I took that screen shot and saved it on the desktop, only to find nothing there lol.

I usually try to divide it up by programs I'm using. I almost always have my music app dedicated on it's own desktop and have LibreOffice on it's own as well, while Chrome has it's own workspace.

pants

I cant get my HDMI out audio to work with Linux Mint 32 (cinnamon). I have it selected as the output device but no go :(

-KRS-

It actually has minimise, but since their design doesn't work well with it and instead suggests another way to accomplish the same thing (move it to another workspace) it's not visible in the top bar. For 3.8 they will rename it to "Hide" and give it the shortcut Super+H since that's more in line with what it does in the environment.

Is that the middle-click-on-Title-Bar "command"? That's what I always do when I want to get rid of a window but don't want to move it or close it. But it would be nice with an actual button for it.

itxaka

Defeatist
Not really. Just means features come when ready instead of meeting deadlines.

And because canonical has a proven record of introducing features with no bugs we should be happy.

:D

Also, rolling release means more bugs. Just try arch. It's inevitable that those things happen in a rr distribution. Plus add the Ubuntu patches on top and that's more bugs.

I don't care, I rather have a rr distribution but I feel that is gonna backfire with more casual users which have not the knowledge nor the patience to fix thing up when they go wrong. 6 months was a really good release schedule.

injurai

Banned
Oh god, I just fucked up grub...

My windows partition is stil fine but it's unbootable... Mint save me plz!!! Don't fuck this up!!!

injurai

Banned
Few it worked...

there has to be a way to install grub on a separate partition. I don't like how it's in with my Linux partition which is mainly there to mess around with and screw up for the sake of learning...

injurai

Banned
I just noticed Mint doesn't have an x-terminal...

strange seeing that Ubuntu does... anyone know what the right package to dl is?

itxaka

Defeatist
I just noticed Mint doesn't have an x-terminal...

strange seeing that Ubuntu does... anyone know what the right package to dl is?

terminal-emulator maybe?

Maybe they haven't changed the name of it yet so it shoudl be gnome-terminal in that case.

It's really strange that it doesnt come out with a terminal.

peakish

Is that the middle-click-on-Title-Bar "command"? That's what I always do when I want to get rid of a window but don't want to move it or close it. But it would be nice with an actual button for it.
Ah no, it's the actual minimise command. Since the dash isn't visible from the main desktop view it's equivalent of "hiding" the window, which pops up in the Overview again.

I'd love to know if there's a shortcut for the send-to-bottom command though :)

pants

Strange issue with xrdp. When I RDP into my mint boxes from Windows, pressing "d" minimizes all windows in every context. I cant even type sudo, i have to su cntrl+v o lol

Anyone know where I can configure xrdp's keys?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to change the look of LibreOffice? In Word I usually use the black colour theme, I was hoping there's one similar to LibreOffice.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I know close to nothing about anything Linux related, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to either install it on a partition of my iMac's hd, or on my external?

In the distant future when I build a computer, I am not looking forward to using Windows. I will google this of course, but can anyone give me a run down on what I would gain or lose by using Ubuntu primarily?

Thanks.

Edit:

I just went through the websites tour. I can't contain my drool, it feels so much like osx. Hopefully this becomes a positive experience, and I don't have to give Microsoft any more money.

peakish

I know close to nothing about anything Linux related, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to either install it on a partition of my iMac's hd, or on my external?

In the distant future when I build a computer, I am not looking forward to using Windows. I will google this of course, but can anyone give me a run down on what I would gain or lose by using Ubuntu primarily?

Thanks.
Re: Imac, I'm not sure how good Ubuntu's installer is at setting up UEFI configurations, it all seems a bit shaky at the moment (other people in this thread have had problems getting it properly recognised on Windows machines, and Apple uses a modified version which rules out a few tools). If someone else in this thread hasn't tried it I'd suggest googling your model year and Ubuntu to see if there are known problems with it.

As for pros and cons... cons are that some things might be shaky. My experiences with Ubuntu (though out-of-date) are generally pretty good, but compared to running Windows 7 I seem to have run into more minor annoyances (do note that I've spent a lot more time running Linux overall since 2006 so running into more problems, especially in more self-service distributions, should be normal, and it's all purely anecdotal of course). Also consider that Linux has low priority for most services, so you may need to use substitutes or workarounds for things like Netflix and whatnot.

On the pro side you might prefer the desktop environments to what Apple and Microsoft offers. Or free upgrades to new releases. Some of the great available software. The freedom to replace the standard configuration or appearance to something more suited to your needs.

Edit: You could try setting up a virtual machine and install Ubuntu in that to take a look around, or put things on a USB stick and boot that without installing - though that obviously won't save anything you do :p

http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/27/install-run-ubuntu-linux-virtualbox/

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Select the Adwaita Dark theme from Gnome Tweak Tool, see if it gets applied.

Don't see a Dark Theme for Adwaita anywhere, but I did select enable dark theme for all applications.

In any case, I still like the layout of Adwaita anyway.

j54k2CD0jAZh2.png

jFMx60h0CNFY3.png

Edit:

Managed to download the dark theme but it doesn't change all apps that I use (Chromium, Skype, LibreOffice, etc) :(.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Thanks for the help,

I am in Ubuntu in a Virtual Box right now. So far, the only complaint I have is that the resolution in full screen is way too small, and everything seems to move very very slowly. Not in launch speed, but in general there is a delay with mouse speed, and moving windows around.

Any help is appreciated. Enjoying this so far.

Massa

Don't see a Dark Theme for Adwaita anywhere, but I did select enable dark theme for all applications.

In any case, I still like the layout of Adwaita anyway.

Edit:

Managed to download the dark theme but it doesn't change all apps that I use (Chromium, Skype, LibreOffice, etc) :(.

That's because the dark theme only applies to modern (gtk3) apps. Chromium and Libreoffice are still using gtk2.

There are dark themes available for Chromium on Google's web store. Not sure about Libreoffice.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Tried running CS1.6 on Ubuntu (natively). Works pretty well, I would hope so considering how old the game is. Haven't played CS in forever, feel so lost.

Dineren

Banned
Has Nvidia said anything recently about Optimus support in their Linux drivers? I haven't heard anything since they originally announced they would be working on it. I know about the Bumblebee project, I'm just curious if there had ever been any updates.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Eh, getting sick of running this in virtual box. I need to try this out on an actual partition. This low res thing is killing me.
Try enabling any visualization optimizations your CPU may have (typically Intel).

I've run VMs before, and I've never been bothered by the resolution. Did you install the VB Additions?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tried running CS1.6 on Ubuntu (natively). Works pretty well, I would hope so considering how old the game is. Haven't played CS in forever, feel so lost.

I fired up Half Life 1 last night and at 1080p it doesn't look too bad. Animations are slightly off but much better than what I was used to from other FPS's of the era.

Plays really solid too, considering it's a beta.

thcsquad

And because canonical has a proven record of introducing features with no bugs we should be happy.

This is ignoring the point. The point is that Ubuntu's bug problem stems from trying to rush features to hit a 'release' because otherwise they have to wait six months.

Ubuntu's rolling release might end up being buggy, but it also might be the only way to fix their current bug problem. Personally, I think the 6 month schedule wastes a lot of time. I remember looking at their release roadmap and being shocked that they ever got anything done, what with two months of real development time followed by four months of various phases of freezing.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I fired up Half Life 1 last night and at 1080p it doesn't look too bad. Animations are slightly off but much better than what I was used to from other FPS's of the era.

Plays really solid too, considering it's a beta.

Yeah I was pretty happy with the result. Hopefully the future of Steam and Linux will continue to grow :D.

By the way, is there any dock that people would recommend? Should I even bother considering Gnome has one already (although, not on the main desktop)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think I heard Linus recommend Docky(?) but TBH there isn't much use for it in Gnome IMO.

Slavik81

Okay so I can't watch netflix on Mint... this is some bullshit.
I'm not sure if that's Netflix having a philosophical objection to Linux, or if they're bound by a business deal, but it's clearly not a technical problem. They've released clients on several Linux-based platforms already.

injurai

Banned
I'm not sure if that's Netflix having a philosophical objection to Linux, or if they're bound by a business deal, but it's clearly not a technical problem. They've released clients on several Linux-based platforms already.

Silverlight is the most apparent issue.

hom3land

Trying to create a partition on my win7 pc to install Linux (tired of vm and live cds) but there's an immovable file preventing me from using the empty 200 gigs. Tried several suggestions I found online but nothings worked. I'm assuming I can't be running windows in order to move the files. Can this be done through a live cd? I have puppy but could get whatever is needed

injurai

Banned
Trying to create a partition on my win7 pc to install Linux (tired of vm and live cds) but there's an immovable file preventing me from using the empty 200 gigs. Tried several suggestions I found online but nothings worked. I'm assuming I can't be running windows in order to move the files. Can this be done through a live cd? I have puppy but could get whatever is needed

Live CD, run gparted.

Schlep

No, it requires Silverlight DRM, which is a Microsoft proprietary technology.

There's a hack to get it working on Ubuntu, which probably will work with mint too. A Google search will turn up the details.
Right. I was asking because I have it running on Ubuntu. Just search for Netflix Desktop Ubuntu and it should be the first result.

I think I heard Linus recommend Docky(?) but TBH there isn't much use for it in Gnome IMO.
XFCE + Docky is pretty okay.

Docky crashes often (like every dock... apparently unit testing is hard? I don't know), but it's unobtrusive and you can just restart it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Try enabling any visualization optimizations your CPU may have (typically Intel).

I've run VMs before, and I've never been bothered by the resolution. Did you install the VB Additions?

I read about this.

I was planning on it, but at this point, I would much rather just boot into it than use Virtual Box.

markot

Banned
Whys the fontage look funky in xfce and kubuntu >.<?

(From ubuntu base)

Gnome 3 is best though.

Also, tearing in videos... is this my video card >.>?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've noticed a lot of tearing lately too... YouTube vids, Half Life... and I have a System 76 so I dunno.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
According to the System 76 website, "Intel HD Graphics 4000." How do I find the driver?

Dineren

Banned
According to the System 76 website, "Intel HD Graphics 4000." How do I find the driver?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Intel only provides the source for the drivers and expects distros to provide binaries. You'd have to wait until Ubuntu updates the driver which I assume would be in the next release in April.

Top Bottom