• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Polari

Finally the realisation of well implemented Search! Basically what the Shell has been leading up to since conception.

I don't think it's a full search though unfortunately, although I would love to be corrected on this, which means there's a trade-off between this and something like Spotlight (one of the advantages though I guess is that it means Documents files in the cloud for example can be a part of the search). It's probably the right direction to take considering the emphasis on applications like Documents, Music, Contacts etc. in GNOME though.

Massa

New update on Gnome 3.8: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/taking-gnome-3-to-the-next-level-again/

Better application browsing, my biggest pet peeve since 3.0!

Updated window view!

Finally the realisation of well implemented Search! Basically what the Shell has been leading up to since conception.

Bonus: 56 bugs fixed under the Every Detail Matters project, pure polish.

Can't wait.

Looks amazing. Gnome is on a whole different level.

I don't think it's a full search though unfortunately, although I would love to be corrected on this, which means there's a trade-off between this and something like Spotlight (one of the advantages though I guess is that it means Documents files in the cloud for example can be a part of the search). It's probably the right direction to take considering the emphasis on applications like Documents, Music, Contacts etc. in GNOME though.

This works just like Spotlight.

Polari

This works just like Spotlight.

Does it use Tracker to grep pretty much every piece of data on the system though? I don't think it does. I'm under the assumption specific applications provide data rather than this being a file system level thing.

Massa

Does it use Tracker to grep pretty much every piece of data on the system though? I don't think it does. I'm under the assumption specific applications provide data rather than this being a file system level thing.

'Files' provides the results for other types using tracker.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gnome Shell putting others in their place.
p0QHO.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I would try out the new Gnome Shell when it fully hits, but then you would all accuse me of distro hopping again! :p

PS: Not that I want to switch. I'm really happy with Crunch now that I got it setup sort of the way I want it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can try Gnome without distro hopping!

Besides your distro hopping is a quirky trait, like my slight Google affection. It's why we love ya Brett. <3

zoku88

Gnome shell does look better than what it was when I last used it.

Still not enough for me to actually go back to it. Kinda done with these bulky DEs.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I recently switched over from Ubuntu to Linux Mint Cinnamon and have been really liking it.

I had been using Ubuntu on a variety of devices since 2004 and was pretty optimistic on the new UI initially. But after I upgraded to the latest release and found it to be pretty sluggish and very intrusive with the Amazon referral results, I decided to try something else.

I wish I could spend more time in Linux, but I primarily use my machine to game now, which leaves me already in Windows most of the time.

TheNatural

My Member!
You can try Gnome without distro hopping!

Besides your distro hopping is a quirky trait, like my slight Google affection. It's why we love ya Brett. <3

I don't understand what changing distros actually accomplishes.

For example, I downloaded Ubuntu, didn't like Unity too much, so put the Cinnamon on it.

I could have just changed to Linux Mint, which uses Cinnamon by default. What is really the major difference between using Ubuntu and putting Cinnamon on it and downloading the closed extras that comes with Mint, or just changing to Mint?

Madtown_

I could have just changed to Linux Mint, which uses Cinnamon by default. What is really the major difference between using Ubuntu and putting Cinnamon on it and downloading the closed extras that comes with Mint, or just changing to Mint?

I did the same. In this case, the majority of the differences are some theme elements, some default applications, and other, relatively small things (at least afaik, I've done the Cinnamon w/ Ubuntu as well as the plain old Mint).

TheNatural

My Member!
I did the same. In this case, the majority of the differences are some theme elements, some default applications, and other, relatively small things (at least afaik, I've done the Cinnamon w/ Ubuntu as well as the plain old Mint).

Sounds about right. It's kind of misleading, it makes the Linux OS seem like there are 5,450,304 different distros - which I guess is "technically" true - but only so far as true as running a version of Windows and setting your own defaults, browser, and Aero settings.

Everyone has a different thing going if you look at in these sort of ways.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Madtown_

You don't drag it, and it's in the Overview mode, and it now takes into account mouse acceleration in 3.8...?

Being able to have a conversation right from the message tray is god-like, no other DE or OS comes close to that functionality.

From my limited experience with it, I had to move the mouse to the bottom of the screen and wait some amount of time, and then the bar would pop up or roll up, or something.

As god like as that may be, alt-tabbing to my conversation window works fantastically well. To each their own.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Super+M still brought it up instantly, and it was always available in overview mode.

But they changed the behavior in 3.8 to take into account mouse acceleration so you shouldn't need to wait now.

zoku88

The message thing is the one thing I kinda miss from gnome shell. Then again, I can switch workspaces a lot faster than I can move my mouse to the bottom of the screen.

Leucrota

Yeah they've done a good job honing down the speed with elementary. That being said while I like Midori it only lasted a day until I installed something else instead and used Midori as my backup.

Ah, yea I installed Chromium. Mostly because the close app button is so close to the close tab button on the first tab and because the close tab buttons are on right side instead of left. There were a few minor bugs as well.

Krelian

For example, I downloaded Ubuntu, didn't like Unity too much, so put the Cinnamon on it.

Mint and Ubuntu are bad examples because Mint is based on Ubuntu. If you switch to something like Arch though, you have 1) a different package manager with other/more packages and optionally 2) bleeding-edge packages for the newest features and the newest bugs. 3) It's a rolling-release distro, so you're always on the newest version.

If you look at different distros it's true that the main difference you'll notice are different themes and different default programs, but there are some other differences you may or may not care about.

In theory every distro can run any program and look like any other distro, but in practice it's sometimes easier to do certain things with other distros. For example it's easiest to use Steam on Ubuntu but it's possible to use it on any distro.

Mint is quite similar to Ubuntu (it is based on it, as Krelian said, but there also exists a Debian-based version of Mint called LMDE) so you won't find as many differences as, for instance, Ubuntu and Arch Linux. However, Mint has a different software manager than Ubuntu, it directly installs proprietary codecs and drivers, and has more/different programs out of the box compared with Ubuntu, and it has Cinnamon by default. I also have the impression that Mint has less random error messages than Ubuntu, so I prefer Mint for all those reasons.

Making a new Linux distro is as easy as changing the default theme and slapping on a new name.

OK, I really really want to get into Linux

My Computer has an AMD FX8150 Bulldozer CPU with 8gb of RAM, and a Nvidia GTX570 GPU, running Windows off an SSD, and also having a WD 1tb Disk drive that I'd like devote a nice chunk of to Linux.

I need support for dual monitors and an onscreen keyboard (as I'm disabled and type with a mouse, so it's important, and predictive text + an expandable dictionary would be nice)

I was tempted by Ubuntu, but then read it's having lots of problems specifically with Nvidia cards and Dual monitors, so now I'm confused.

Anybody got an advice or recommendations?

My Computer has an AMD FX8150 Bulldozer CPU with 8gb of RAM, and a Nvidia GTX570 GPU, running Windows off an SSD, and also having a WD 1tb Disk drive that I'd like devote a nice chunk of to Linux.

I need support for dual monitors and an onscreen keyboard (as I'm disabled and type with a mouse, so it's important, and predictive text + an expandable dictionary would be nice)

I was tempted by Ubuntu, but then read it's having lots of problems specifically with Nvidia cards and Dual monitors, so now I'm confused.

Anybody got an advice or recommendations?.
If you think Linux has problems with Nvidia cards, try using it with an AMD card. You'll change your mind quickly.

Massa

From my limited experience with it, I had to move the mouse to the bottom of the screen and wait some amount of time, and then the bar would pop up or roll up, or something.

As god like as that may be, alt-tabbing to my conversation window works fantastically well. To each their own.

There was a method for activating the notification bar in 3.0-3.4, and a new one in 3.6.

The first was problematic because you could easily hit it by accident. The second method fixed that issue but introduced the small delay, as you mentioned, so not optimal either.

For 3.8 they finally implemented the intended design for it, which takes the best of the two approaches and was only made possible with the new Xorg that released this week. The notification bar pops up instantly when you want it, but never by accident. You should give it a try, it works perfectly now.

(note that 3.8 will fallback the same method as 3.6 if you have an older Xorg).

-KRS-

If you think Linux has problems with Nvidia cards, try using it with an AMD card. You'll change your mind quickly.

Yeah and I'm not sure how the situation is today since I don't use Nvidia cards anymore, but when I had my Geforce 4 Ti4200 I used a dual monitor setup just fine. At first I had to make a custom xorg.conf to get it to work, but then their drivers became better and you could just do it in the Nvidia Control Panel. It should be as easy today unless they fucked something up.

Madtown_

There was a method for activating the notification bar in 3.0-3.4, and a new one in 3.6.

The first was problematic because you could easily hit it by accident. The second method fixed that issue but introduced the small delay, as you mentioned, so not optimal either.

For 3.8 they finally implemented the intended design for it, which takes the best of the two approaches and was only made possible with the new Xorg that released this week. The notification bar pops up instantly when you want it, but never by accident. You should give it a try, it works perfectly now.

(note that 3.8 will fallback the same method as 3.6 if you have an older Xorg).

That's good. Two other gnome questions:

1. Can you get pidgin installed as the default chat client (to work with the message tray)? I wasn't able to get Empathy working w/ 2-step authentication.
2. Does alt-tab behaviour still switch between apps? That really ruins my workflow.

-KRS-

For the first one I had to install a plugin for gnome-shell to get pidgin integration. After that it works very well.

The second one I can't answer as I haven't upgraded, but I would assume it does. But is it really that hard to press alt+tilde when switching between app windows? It's right there over the Tab key. Either way, I'm sure that again there is some plugin you could install to get the behavior you want.

Massa

That's good. Two other gnome questions:

1. Can you get pidgin installed as the default chat client (to work with the message tray)? I wasn't able to get Empathy working w/ 2-step authentication.
2. Does alt-tab behaviour still switch between apps? That really ruins my workflow.

Here's one, though it sounds like it also disables the alt-` switching instead of only modifying alt-tab, in case missing that might bother you.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/

Another change in GNOME 3.8 is that the Shell now has native support for the three different switching shortcuts people are used to: between applications, between windows of the current application, and between all windows. Last time I checked the default keys will be Super+Tab, Super+"key above tab" and Alt+Tab, and you can easily redefine those keys in Settings.

zoku88

Yeah and I'm not sure how the situation is today since I don't use Nvidia cards anymore, but when I had my Geforce 4 Ti4200 I used a dual monitor setup just fine. At first I had to make a custom xorg.conf to get it to work, but then their drivers became better and you could just do it in the Nvidia Control Panel. It should be as easy today unless they fucked something up.

I've heard that Ubuntu (maybe Unity?) just has problems with Nvidia.

I've never really had (non-Xen) related problems with Nvidia. Then again, I don't use dual monitors anymore, but that's pretty much changed to using xrandr (even for nvidia since 302. Does anyone use xinerama anymore?)

Polari

Going to do a reinstall as I have to put Windows on here for work. Seriously tempted to plump for Crunchbang. Any reason why I shouldn't?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've heard that Ubuntu (maybe Unity?) just has problems with Nvidia.

It's definitely a Unity problem over an Ubuntu problem, I think. I could never get my two monitors to work on my Ubuntu install, but Linux Mint recognized them right away once I installed the Nvidia drivers.

Anybody got an advice or recommendations?

I'll look into how easy the install process would be using the onscreen keyboard, as well as what the adaptive technology is like later tonight for you.

Slavik81

It's definitely a Unity problem over an Ubuntu problem, I think. I could never get my two monitors to work on my Ubuntu install, but Linux Mint recognized them right away once I installed the Nvidia drivers.
Yeah, the real problems are all compiz/Unity. If you use a different compositor/window manager, all will be well. Mint should be fine.

peakish

Another change in GNOME 3.8 is that the Shell now has native support for the three different switching shortcuts people are used to: between applications, between windows of the current application, and between all windows. Last time I checked the default keys will be Super+Tab, Super+"key above tab" and Alt+Tab, and you can easily redefine those keys in Settings.
Awesome addition.

Vanillalite

Going to do a reinstall as I have to put Windows on here for work. Seriously tempted to plump for Crunchbang. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Provided you go with the version based off of Wheezy and not Squeeze no reason not to run Crunch. Squeeze is just a no go as a base at this point though.

Vanillalite

One thing I'll say is I wish OpenBox had support for the side by side "snap" feature that a lot modern window managers provide.

zoku88

One thing I'll say is I wish OpenBox had support for the side by side "snap" feature that a lot modern window managers provide.

You should use a tiling window manager. Everything is side by side "snapped". Or side by side by side, kukuku..

You could also set things to floating mode since most "tiling" window managers are actually dynamic window managers.

I've had a bad day with Linux. I reinstalled my system and I don't know what to do anymore.

• Unity: Doesn't load at all after installing the proprietary drivers, all I have is the wallpaper
  • Cinnamon: Screenshots don't work as intended and Steam always crashes. Also I had a couple freezes
  • MATE: I won't use it without Compiz but it's impossible to set it up without breaking the whole desktop
  • Gnome Classic: See MATE
  • Gnome Shell: What the hell is this. Even if it has no bugs I will never use that unintuitive piece of shit.
  • KDE: See Gnome Shell

Also, I don't like my desktop being slow and I want to play some games so sticking to the open-source drivers is not an option. I'm sick of wasting my time so I'm considering buying a Mac in the future and, for the time being, I'll stick Windows and running Linux Mint from VirtualBox. I don't mind spending more for something that just works.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you're dissin' Gnome Shell I feel bad for you son, I got good taste but you got none.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dumb question, I have Ubuntu 12.10 - does the default graphics packages it installs cover Intel HD 4000 drivers?

I've looked for a clear answer, it seems that it is, I couldn't find any other packages in Synaptic. Intel doesn't provide driver downloads on its page, instead referring to it just provides them to the open source community. I'm guessing it would have already been downloaded just doing the regular updates through the Ubuntu software center, correct?

Massa

I've had a bad day with Linux. I reinstalled my system and I don't know what to do anymore.

• Unity: Doesn't load at all after installing the proprietary drivers, all I have is the wallpaper
  • Cinnamon: Screenshots don't work as intended and Steam always crashes. Also I had a couple freezes
  • MATE: I won't use it without Compiz but it's impossible to set it up without breaking the whole desktop
  • Gnome Classic: See MATE
  • Gnome Shell: What the hell is this. Even if it has no bugs I will never use that unintuitive piece of shit.
  • KDE: See Gnome Shell

Also, I don't like my desktop being slow and I want to play some games so sticking to the open-source drivers is not an option. I'm sick of wasting my time so I'm considering buying a Mac in the future and, for the time being, I'll stick Windows and running Linux Mint from VirtualBox. I don't mind spending more for something that just works.

If you find Gnome Shell an unintuitive piece of shit you will most definitely hate Mac OS X, since Gnome is like a better and improved version of that. :p

It seems like you want some stability in your Linux experience. My advice? Stop messing with these no-name distributions. Compiz is crap. Get something a little less bleeding edge like Debian wheezy and stick to its defaults.

Dumb question, I have Ubuntu 12.10 - does the default graphics packages it installs cover Intel HD 4000 drivers?

I've looked for a clear answer, it seems that it is, I couldn't find any other packages in Synaptic. Intel doesn't provide driver downloads on its page, instead referring to it just provides them to the open source community. I'm guessing it would have already been downloaded just doing the regular updates through the Ubuntu software center, correct?

Intel contributes directly to the open source graphics stack - if you're running a Linux distribution on an Intel system you're using their drivers.

Top Bottom