• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 New Features Detailed (PS Blog, Create Tools)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Not a lot of LittleBigPlanet 3 talk amidst the rest of the Gamescom announcements and trailers, but this blog post reveals some interesting new features in (light) detail.

• Customizable Heroes

Our brave, brave new heroes – Oddsock, Swoop, and Toggle – all come with their own unique special abilities and physics but they’re capable of oh so much more! Each hero can be fully costumed up just like Sackboy but you can also tweak them all in Create Mode to completely change their handling and abilities for your own levels!

[*]The Blaster Handle

You have all seen his friends’ special abilities, but Sackboy has some brand new tricks too! Using the new Blaster Handle tool you can create your very own power-ups for Sackboy to use! Power-ups from goo-firing guns to magically enchanted staffs are now possible… The only limitation is your imagination!

[*]Dynamic Thermometer and Deep Layers

Using our brand new Dynamic Thermometer functionality, the LBP create thermometer is now more flexible than ever. This will allow for created levels to be massively bigger than ever before and even have much greater depth since a creator can now make use of up to 16 playable layers with some rather neat new gameplay objects to help our heroes transition between multiple layers instantaneously.

[*]Touch Create

We’re fully utilizing the unique features of the PlayStation 4 and using the DualShock 4’s new touch pad. You will now be able to use Touch Create to bring a whole new element to your level creation that just wasn’t possible until now!

[*]Create More Expansive Adventures

Using our new adventure creation tools, you can now make your very own Adventure Maps filled with levels containing fun and exciting quests that can be tracked across the entire Adventure using the new Organisertron quest tracker!

[*]The Sack Pocket

Whilst playing adventures and completing quests, you will be able to collect power-ups that Sackboy can add to his personal inventory, the Sack Pocket! Using the Sack Pocket, you can quickly equip and use these power-ups at any time during your home-made adventures!

[*]Create Anything!

That’s not all and we’re still just scraping the surface! If we had to sum up the new additions in the tastiest of nutshells, we can tell you that you will gain access to the following in LittleBigPlanet 3…

70 Brand New Tools
    29 Enhanced Tools from LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2
    10 Tools from LittleBigPlanet PS Vita arriving to home consoles for the first ever time!

If you combine that with all of the other tools that we’re bringing forward from LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2… That gives you an absolutely whopping 250 Create Tools to pour all your imagination and creativity into!

[*]Create & Share Trailers, Stream Gameplay and More!

It just wouldn’t be LittleBigPlanet if you couldn’t share your amazing creations and activity with the rest of the community! Using the PlayStation 4’s Share features, you will now be able to create trailer-style videos that you can attach to your published levels to give the rest of a community a personalised preview of your level.

We will also be adding full video integration to our LBP.me community site. You will be able to use the site to quickly find great new video content to watch and queue up new levels to play. Finding great content in LittleBigPlanet has never been easier!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/12/littlebigplanet-3-new-create-tools-and-features-detailed/

Hopefully we'll get a little more detail on things like the dynamic thermometer soon. And I'm very interested in those 70 new tools, as well as the ways in which LBP1 & 2's tools may have been revamped. It looks like they're adding a lot of features to enable players to create more sprawling adventure levels, which is great, since that was something I was trying to accomplish a lot in 2, with some difficulty.

H4H if old.

Zalman

I was sold when they said all the previous levels from 1 and 2 are playable. Everything else they add at this point is just extra for me.

VanWinkle

This game just looks so..."same-y"...like it just looks like such a standard iteration. I'm really disappointed as a day one buyer of LBP1, LBP2, and LBP Vita. I expected more. It literally looks like LBP2 running at a higher resolution.

slash3584

This game just looks so..."same-y"...like it just looks like such a standard iteration. I'm really disappointed as a day one buyer of LBP1, LBP2, and LBP Vita. I expected more. It literally looks like LBP2 running at a higher resolution.

To be honest I used to think that too, but after seing some more gameplay and these details I think this could be an improvement like LBP to LBP 2 was.

SerTapTap

What was that top-down airplane thing they showed?! How's that possible?

To be honest I used to think that too, but after seing some more gameplay and these details I think this could be an improvement like LBP to LBP 2 was.

16 layers alone is huge.

Wait, are these features in the PS3 version as well?

It sounds like specifically for PS4, but I thought this game will be cross-gen? Would be good if the PS4 create mode is not gimped.

Creaking

Same here. It's not quite the jump that the PS4 alone could offer, but I think it'll be a great outing for the series nonetheless. This is coming from someone who has been playing LittleBigPlanet since the private 2008 beta, and who felt a little depressed at how the game looked when it was revealed at E3 this year.

I think we're in for some of the best user made levels yet. I'm gonna spend days in that create mode.

What was that top-down airplane thing they showed?! How's that possible?

Probably pretty easily, although I'm not sure exactly what thing you're talking about. Top-down wasn't very hard to accomplish in 2.

still coming to ps3?

Yep.

Wait, are these features in the PS3 version as well?

It sounds like specifically for PS4, but I thought this game will be cross-gen? Would be good if the PS4 create mode is not gimped.

I'm hoping that the dynamic thermometer means that, as some were suggesting in an earlier thread, there's a threshold beyond which your level can only be played on PS4. If you want it to be available on PS3, you have to keep the thermo below that threshold, but if you want to go all-out, you can go all-out. Just speculation though.

OK, Im sold now. Changing handling sounds like you can change platforming physics. The only other thing is, a lot of levels that were emulating other games still felt manipulative with their physics and game logic (it was very much LBP hidden behind some creative ways to make new genres).

Im hoping the advanced tools allow for some real 1:1 emulation of those games people try so hard to emulate.

It'd be cool if some games had a save mode too, for those looking to create huge adventures. I remember something similar in LBP2, but can't recall how it worked.

SerTapTap

Probably pretty easily, although I'm not sure exactly what thing you're talking about. Top-down wasn't very hard to accomplish in 2.

But it was scrolling VERTICALLY, that doesn't seem possible in LBP. I think it was in their post-conf stream.

Creaking

It'd be cool if some games had a save mode too, for those looking to create huge adventures. I remember something similar in LBP2, but can't recall how it worked.

If I'm not mistaken, they added a save tool in LittleBigPlanet Vita, and the blog post mentions 10 tools from the Vita version (hopefully that's all of them that aren't specific to the controller) coming to 3 for the first time on consoles.

But it was scrolling VERTICALLY, that doesn't seem possible in LBP. I think it was in their post-conf stream.

I think I'll have to see what you're talking about to understand better. Never underestimate what is possible in LittleBigPlanet though!

slash3584

Grimløck;125068823 said:
somebody, please make the last guardian. it's the only way we'll ever play this game.

Imagine this:

TGS 2014 Sony finishing up the conference with the famous oh and one more thing...

Trico appears flying on screen feathers falling all over the place and then... Sackboy appears.

EXCLUSIVE TRICO DLC COSTUME FOR SWOOP*

*Japan PSN Preorder Only

Creaking

Imagine this:

TGS 2014 Sony finishing up the conference with the famous oh and one more thing...

Trico appears flying on screen feathers falling all over the place and then... Sackboy appears.

EXCLUSIVE TRICO DLC COSTUME FOR SWOOP*

*Japan PSN Preorder Only

057e77be1e13da95bed2664358011551.png

Gueth we'll have to make our own.

Looks like people will be able to create really expansive games and stories. Well the dream of a full blown LBRPG finally be realized?

Creaking

Looks like people will be able to create really expansive games and stories. Well the dream of a full blown LBRPG finally be realized?

I don't doubt it. The things that the community manages to make are amazing, even without official tools to enable them. I can't wait to get back on board myself with the two big levels I started in 2.

Creaking

Four hour bump?

How well do you think LBP3 will do? I feel like it hasn't generated quite as much press as 1 or 2, but then I also don't remember 2 getting a whole lot of press either, although it did have those awesome community events. I feel like it will still sell pretty well regardless, being a family friendly game in November, and the only big PS4 1st party game too.

I think they'd be wise to try and hold a closed or public beta for the game. We all know how buggy something as versatile as LittleBigPlanet can get, and how rough the netcode can be. Testing it beforehand always helps avoid unexpected issues for launch, and it's a good way to generate interest. Betas make for fantastic demos, and it might sell some people who aren't sure about the 'floaty' physics.

Which stream were you watching? I'm really curious to see what you were talking about.

Four hour bump?

How well do you think LBP3 will do? I feel like it hasn't generated quite as much press as 1 or 2, but then I also don't remember 2 getting a whole lot of press either, although it did have those awesome community events. I feel like it will still sell pretty well regardless, being a family friendly game in November, and the only big PS4 1st party game too.

I think they'd be wise to try and hold a closed or public beta for the game. We all know how buggy something as versatile as LittleBigPlanet can get, and how rough the netcode can be. Testing it beforehand always helps avoid unexpected issues for launch, and it's a good way to generate interest. Betas make for fantastic demos, and it might sell some people who aren't sure about the 'floaty' physics.

Which stream were you watching? I'm really curious to see what you were talking about.

Two systems, one of which is the hottest shit in town (15 mil install by end of the year very likely), kid friendly game without much competition, popular franchise among kids and hardcore, large dedicated fanbase, history of multi-million sales. I bet it will end up between LBP and LBP2, probably finishing around 3 million.

Creaking

Two systems, one of which is the hottest shit in town (15 mil install by end of the year very likely), kid friendly game without much competition, popular franchise among kids and hardcore, large dedicated fanbase, history of multi-million sales. I bet it will end up between LBP and LBP2, probably finishing around 3 million.

Well, you certainly drove the point home. I suppose there's nothing to worry about then.

In other news, I found out a little more about the Dynamic Thermometer's function from the LittleBigPlanet Central forums:

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sh...ermo-Spotted&p=1178686&viewfull=1#post1178686

StevenI said:
Using the new Dynamic Thermometer functionality (available on both PS3 and PS4), the thermometer now represents only a portion of the level, specifically only the portions of the level that are currently loaded into the game for gameplay.

What this means is that you can make your levels much larger and the thermometer now focuses more on the active elements of the level, rather than the entire thing.

Sounds smart. I hope it's compatible with the way I've designed my big levels up to this point (lots of emitter tricks).

SerTapTap

24:30 here, gameplay starts at 25:20, top-down segments start at 28:20. I don't know what they're doing, but I've seen some really amazing stuff in LBP2 and Vita, but I dont' think that's possible in standard LBP tools, so I wonder what changes make that possible.

BTW is it just me or do Oddsock's physics look a lot tighter than Sackboy's? There's a long segment of Oddsock playing a normal level at 25:20.

mclem

In other news, I found out a little more about the Dynamic Thermometer's function from the LittleBigPlanet Central forums:

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sh...ermo-Spotted&p=1178686&viewfull=1#post1178686

Using the new Dynamic Thermometer functionality (available on both PS3 and PS4), the thermometer now represents only a portion of the level, specifically only the portions of the level that are currently loaded into the game for gameplay.

What this means is that you can make your levels much larger and the thermometer now focuses more on the active elements of the level, rather than the entire thing.

Sounds smart. I hope it's compatible with the way I've designed my big levels up to this point (lots of emitter tricks).

On paper that's good, but I do wonder how they're determining what entities should be 'asleep'; it strikes me that you can't necessarily assume that 'range from the player' is an adequate metric.

I do wonder if they'll allow the leeway to make a level that fits on PS4 but is too big on PS3. I suspect not, but we'll see.

24:30 here, gameplay starts at 25:20, top-down segments start at 28:20. I don't know what they're doing, but I've seen some really amazing stuff in LBP2 and Vita, but I dont' think that's possible in standard LBP tools, so I wonder what changes make that possible.

BTW is it just me or do Oddsock's physics look a lot tighter than Sackboy's? There's a long segment of Oddsock playing a normal level at 25:20.

I don't see anything in that top down segment that can't be done in LBP2, aside from the extra layers and new tool stuff.

Each hero can be fully costumed up just like Sackboy but you can also tweak them all in Create Mode to completely change their handling and abilities for your own levels!

The end of floaty physics?!

Honestly though; what else would you expect? They're adding loads of extra new creation tools, tweaking the gameplay, introducing three new characters with unique abilities and carrying over all compatability from the previous three games. Not to mention the visual style is so unique and distinct that it's going to be hard to make it seem particularly different from its predecessors.

How well do you think LBP3 will do?

Neogaf will ignore LBP3 like SCEA ignores Vita.

Look at this shit, thread on LBP3 has ONE PAGE ONLY. There is no interest for this game in Neogaf.

...Probably because this is casual game. Its going to do well among casual people, so at least thats a good thing. Funny enough, Ive read some people commenting outside Neogaf that PS3 version is also a good thing.

...Oh? Why is LBP3 ignored? Jumping physics. Im not even joking. 90% of LBP threads are physics complaining.

Creaking

That looks very possible in LittleBigPlanet 2. You just build a level using the side of the materials that are always facing you as the 'ground'. From there, it's just controlinators and movement tools. Maybe a bit of logic.

You ought to see my crazy top down sprite-based level that will never be finished in 2. It's nowhere near complete, but the stuff I've done with multitudes of logic (so much logic that it slows the games framerate like mad) might surprise you quite a bit.

The end of floaty physics?!

Well, they've already tweaked the physics a bit for this outing in response to player complaints, and in two, you could essentially use sackbots or gravity to make your own non-floaty physics, but this sounds a lot easier and more direct.

Neogaf will ignore LBP3 like SCEA ignores Vita.

Look at this shit, thread on LBP3 has ONE PAGE ONLY. There is no interest for this game in Neogaf.

...Probably because this is casual game. Its going to do well among casual people, so at least thats a good thing. Funny enough, Ive read some people commenting outside Neogaf that PS3 version is also a good thing.

...Oh? Why is LBP3 ignored? Jumping physics. Im not even joking. 90% of LBP threads are physics complaining.

It's a shame though. With the creative tools in this game, there's a lot of potential for great community projects, and I know GAF has worked together on such things in the past. But I see so little talk of LittleBigPlanet 3. LBP2 does have a fairly meaty OT, but even that is dead now.

SerTapTap

That looks very possible in LittleBigPlanet 2. You just build a level using the side of the materials that are always facing you as the 'ground'. From there, it's just controlinators and movement tools. Maybe a bit of logic.

You ought to see my crazy top down sprite-based level that will never be finished in 2. It's nowhere near complete, but the stuff I've done with multitudes of logic (so much logic that it slows the games framerate like mad) might surprise you quite a bit.

I guess I that'd thought of just moving the camera up instead of "forward" along the Z axis, I guess that is possible. I never really went beyond basic 2D stuff in Create mode...or got my Create trophy...RIP platinum

Creaking

I guess I that'd thought of just moving the camera up instead of "forward" along the Z axis, I guess that is possible. I never really went beyond basic 2D stuff in Create mode...or got my Create trophy...RIP platinum

I never got the platinum for 2 either, even though I got the arguably more difficult trophy in 1. Completed all of the Single Player stuff to 100% and played a couple of community levels, but I was quickly sucked into create mode and never wanted to do much else. I'm sure I have several days, maybe even a weeks' worth of time clocked into create mode.

Agree. So long as they want to keep compatibility with the millions of previously created levels in the old games they will never be able to significantly change the game or how it plays. It'll still have to mainly control the same and be based on the 2d with 3 layers concept.

Creaking

Agree. So long as they want to keep compatibility with the millions of previously created levels in the old games they will never be able to significantly change the game or how it plays. It'll still have to mainly control the same and be based on the 2d with 3 layers concept.

I feel like that's become LittleBigPlanet's identity though. Media Molecules big PS4 project is what will take the Play/Create/Share deal to new heights. LittleBigPlanet will advance LittleBigPlanet.

Also, they've got 16 layers now.

I really want to get into LBP, but every time, i don't finish the tutorial (vita version)

There are some total sweet user levels too.

Just let me play. Ill figure it out myself.

Creaking

You could do that in lbp2, people just didn't know much about it.

Yeah, plus you couldn't count on user made levels having it. It was best for making your own levels, and it seems to me like those who can't get with the game because of the floaty physics aren't that into creating levels either.

Still, the devs themselves have tweaked the basic physics for Sackboy, hopefully that will sate those looking for less floaty physics.

I also think that the demographic, at least on Gaf that would be most into this game are typically Nintendo only Gamers.

Make No mistake. If Nintendo came up with this concept (and with Mario game maker, they are looking into something similar) It would be heralded as the best thing since sliced bread.

LBP is pretty much the infinite game, you can never run out of levels to play. Even if you hate platformers this is one that should be in your library. 9 million user levels is an insane of content.

But because of Jumping physics (which you can tweak in your own levels) its shit on from a great height.

It always bugged me why minecraft is so popular, and this, a million times better, is at best, Sonys mid-tier franchise. With the DLC packs and User levels alone, it should be printing money.

It must be those shitty tutorials *sigh*

Creaking

It always bugged me why minecraft is so popular, and this, a million times better, is at best, Sonys mid-tier franchise.

Minecraft is a very different thing, and a lot of people stake great value in full 3-dimensional exploration on a wide open map. Plus it's self-generated, whereas everything in LBP is user generated. I like LittleBigPlanet more myself, but I don't think that the two games are all that apt for comparison.

Top Bottom