• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

I am excited for this game, Juliet is my betch!
iYy6KsrlTSkJa.gif

Played it at E3. Was fun as hell. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

And the Haruna costume is great and fitting since she's the only one among the cameos that actually use a chainsaw.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Played it at E3. Was fun as hell. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

And the Haruna costume is great and fitting since she's the only one among the cameos that actually use a chainsaw.

Don't forget about the Gamestop pre-order character, Ash from Evil Dead.

Still calling the soundtrack godly. It really has a late 80s/early 90s feel to it, which is exactly the tone the game seems to be going for. Loving the comic-book presentation, though as others have said the animations still look a bit rough. That won't bother me personally but it is noticeable from what I've seen. Akira did some wonderful in this game that's very different from his usual:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY6hiJcFJ1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qy-Er1-Ons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2yOncFWuw

I am seriously on the border of buying this day 1. To support grasshopper and because this looks really fun....but i know that price drop is weeks away

Dusk Golem

I am seriously on the border of buying this day 1. To support grasshopper and because this looks really fun....but i know that price drop is weeks away

This is a decision everyone has to go through, but my train of thought in this situation is, "Do I have the funds to buy this right now, and do I want to support this company and show I want more of this in the future?"

For me personally, I bought Shadows of the Damned day 1 and have no regrets about it. I want to see more of these type of games on the market, and I have a lot of respect for the studio which seems to live by the philosophy, "Fuck money, we're making video games."

This is a decision everyone has to go through, but my train of thought in this situation is, "Do I have the funds to buy this right now, and do I want to support this company and show I want more of this in the future?"

For me personally, I bought Shadows of the Damned day 1 and have no regrets about it. I want to see more of these type of games on the market, and I have a lot of respect for the studio which seems to live by the philosophy, "Fuck money, we're making video games."

Yah im getting it damn you lol. Grasshopper makes niche games but somehow im always in that niche. I hope an artbook gets released for this one day

If you would've thought about it you could've gotten it for $44.99 from Amazon...

Me buying a PS3 game new and almost full price is rare.

If you would've thought about it you could've gotten it for $44.99 from Amazon...

Me buying a PS3 game new and almost full price is rare.

Getting the Gamestop version for the Evil Dead outfit, plus that other outfit isn't so bad.

EDIT: Im buying a game for full price from Gamestop...now i feel dirty

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
needs the same subtitle as the SOTD thread

wasn't it something like "holy shit this is out? yes!"

Zekes!

This is what I'm stuck debating on. Right now, waiting for a price-drop is winning; I feel like I've supported my fair share of niche games, so me sitting out and being responsible with my money (...for once) is something I don't feel so bad about.

But I do really want to play this game...

Quick

Banned
Tempted to pick this up. Might go the Amazon route to avoid the awkwardness of the conversation that could transpire. :lol

Dusk Golem

About people who are talking about awkwardness, it really isn't that awkward at all. Surprisingly, I am finding most of the people I know who are interested in this game are females. One of my friends who work at Gamestop even is keeping the bloody pompoms for herself and has the game pre-ordered. My girlfriend understands why these games interest me, I'm a big dork who loves over-the-top games like this. This is the sort of deal that it isn't really awkward unless you make it awkward, though even my female friends interested in the game acknowledge sex appeal will probably help it sell.

Or a major possibility is that I just hang out with weird people, but I'm happy so whatever.

About people who are talking about awkwardness, it really isn't that awkward at all. Surprisingly, I am finding most of the people I know who are interested in this game are females. One of my friends who work at Gamestop even is keeping the bloody pompoms for herself and has the game pre-ordered. My girlfriend understands why these games interest me, I'm a big dork who loves over-the-top games like this. This is the sort of deal that it isn't really awkward unless you make it awkward, though even my female friends interested in the game acknowledge sex appeal will probably help it sell.

Or a major possibility is that I just hang out with weird people, but I'm happy so whatever.
The game looks trashy. Not to say that Suda51's other productions haven't been on the trashy side, but this seems to be the trashiest of them all.

DeVeAn

I loved No more Heroes and this looks dope. Problem is I was ignoring the game and now Amazon has it back at full price. I know (though I don't want it to) this will bomb. Gonna wait for it to drop. I feel bad but, not employed at the moment and I have plenty of backlog...

I've been sitting on the fence for a while, but this thread pushed me over the edge. +1 preorder on Amazon (had roughly $30 in credit as well).

Fuck that fence really hurt

Dusk Golem

The game looks trashy. Not to say that Suda51's other productions haven't been on the trashy side, but this seems to be the trashiest of them all.

Define trashy as I could see you mean a few different things. If you mean like slutty, then yes. How I view it was their last game, Shadows of the Damned, was mostly filled with dick jokes and lots of 'man' humor, while this is the opposite and is more focused on women sexual jokes. But then even with that, from what I've seen this game is far less cluttered with that than Shadows of the Damned was.

But if you mean trashy as in rough around the edges, I'm inclined to agree and disagree. On one hand, the animations are rough, but from what I've played and what I'm hearing across the board is that the game is actually pretty solid in terms of gameplay, though I've heard the combat at first may seem simple or you feel 'light', but I've also heard the further in the game you go you really start to realize how much deeper it is.

I can't say as I haven't played yet, but I do keep informed about my purchases and others impressions to keep in mind with my game values.

Define trashy as I could see you mean a few different things. If you mean like slutty, then yes. How I view it was their last game, Shadows of the Damned, was mostly filled with dick jokes and lots of 'man' humor, while this is the opposite and is more focused on women sexual jokes. But then even with that, from what I've seen this game is far less cluttered with that than Shadows of the Damned was.

But if you mean trashy as in rough around the edges, I'm inclined to agree and disagree. On one hand, the animations are rough, but from what I've played and what I'm hearing across the board is that the game is actually pretty solid in terms of gameplay, though I've heard the combat at first may seem simple or you feel 'light', but I've also heard the further in the game you go you really start to realize how much deeper it is.

I can't say as I haven't played yet, but I do keep informed about my purchases and others impressions to keep in mind with my game values.
I mean trashy in the sense of having a girl protagonist in a sexy outfit. I consider such pandering to be worse than dick jokes. I want to give this games the benefit of the doubt, though. Thinking about it, Hell Michigan is probably the trashiest thing he will ever do.

I mean trashy in the sense of having a girl protagonist in a sexy outfit. I consider such pandering to be worse than dick jokes. I want to give this games the benefit of the doubt, though.

Every Suda game like this has used pandering as a backdrop for social commentary. It isn't meant to give you a boner so much as it's meant to make you analyze stuff. Your looking at it from a very close minded stance.

Every Suda game like this has used pandering as a backdrop for social commentary. It isn't meant to give you a boner so much as it's meant to make you analyze stuff.
I know that, but there is a fine line. Once you cross it, you become what you are commenting on.
Your looking at it from a very close minded stance.
Don't pull that. I really enjoyed No More Heroes and Killer7. Suda51 isn't even directing this, which worries me.

I know that, but there is a fine line. Once you cross it, you become what you are commenting on.

I disagree. There is no line. Just look at Aristocrats jokes. Whether what you want to say is effective or not is up for debate, but that doesn't change the intent or several different interpretations.

Don't pull that. I really enjoyed No More Heroes and Killer7.

Neither of those had hyper-sexualized female characters as a playable character, something you seem to have a much bigger problem with than you should.

I disagree. There is no line. Just look at Aristocrats jokes. Whether what you want to say is effective or not is up for debate, but that doesn't change the intent or several different interpretations.
A joke is a joke. We are talking about a probably multi-million dollar product here.

Intent doesn't matter.

As far as clothes go the character is actually more covered up than most female characters in games....unless you change the outfit

Dusk Golem

I find I'm more innocent minded than many, but I don't really see Julia as an over-sexualized female. Is she sexualized? Yes, but I think to the same extent Garcia was. Obviously each person is welcome to feel how they feel, but I think part of what makes me say this is partly because her outfit (at least the default) doesn't really show much more than many other characters in other games out there. Is it skimpy? Yes, but it doesn't show cleavage and at the most it shows is pantyshots, and there are far more games even with less 'devious' natures that show far more than this game does.

In my eyes it's about the same as Garcia, who went shirtless and wore skin-tight lever running around and shooting enemies with Johnson who transforms into a big boner and repeated references to male sexual performance and the likes. But then there was a lot more to Garcia under that which actually made him a very likable character. Like Julia he was a bit dumb, but lovable out of his kind of child-like demeanor behind the badass and sometimes questioning the things around him, or even treating a lot of what was going on like a game at times. From calling traps from demons, 'cute,' to getting glee out of reading the storybooks (which he had difficulty doing, which added to his 'dumb charm' as I'm calling it).

Julia isn't exactly the same but similar. She also is a bit dumb (well, maybe more appropriately air-headed) but she also is committed to fighting for something and behind the sexualization there seems to be a very enjoyable character I am guessing I am going to end up loving.

We all feel with reason, but I don't really see how this game is being particularly sexist in context. It's more so not the fact that it isn't being a bit sexual towards women, but that it does the same to men. Equal opportunists you could say, but this game actually seems less driven by sexual jokes than Shadows of the Damned was, which is fine by me as a lot of my favorite jokes in Shadows of the Damned were not the sexual ones.

Hero

Hmm, a game that happens to have a sexually appealing female character and Femmeworth is already derailing the thread for it. Not surprised.

Anyway, still on the fence about it since it seems pretty short. Not sure if it'll scratch that No More Heroes itch.

Novid

Banned
this is a bit of a head scratcher. i think the like the premise but the whole "lets take a bit here and a bit there" doesnt fly with me. Suda is underrated as a social commentator i dont think this is the game he wanted to do one.

clockpunk

Fantastic OP. Can't wait to get this. Unlockable concept art? FUCK yes. Will the preorder outfits become available for sale at a later date?

The official twitter account replied to me this morning, saying they are preorder bonuses only - I did ask if they would be made more widely available. It is very non-committal, but take that for what you... Curse the ones behind the decision, if we in the UK have no opportunity to get the Evil Dead costume (outside of paying inflated prices over eBay... >.<)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The official twitter account replied to me this morning, saying they are preorder bonuses only - I did ask if they would be made more widely available. It is very non-committal, but take that for what you... Curse the ones behind the decision, if we in the UK have no opportunity to get the Evil Dead costume (outside of paying inflated prices over eBay... >.<)

It's distributed by Warner Interactive. History suggests they'll try and nickel and dime customers later with costume DLC. It would be unusual for them not to.

So when is this going to price drop bomba? I'm interested but not enough to pay full price. I ask because Shadows took forever to price drop.

TGMIII

So when is this going to price drop bomba? I'm interested but not enough to pay full price. I ask because Shadows took forever to price drop.

I assume SoTD had a limited print run which is what took it so long to drop but this might have some sort of decent print since it's been advertised a good bit by WB. The game is £30 everywhere in the UK, where as most new games are £40, is it $60 everywhere in the US?

I assume SoTD had a limited print run which is what took it so long to drop but this might have some sort of decent print since it's been advertised a good bit by WB. The game is £30 everywhere in the UK, where as most new games are £40, is it $60 everywhere in the US?

Seems full price everywhere I've looked.

clockpunk

It's distributed by Warner Interactive. History suggests they'll try and nickel and dime customers later with costume DLC. It would be unusual for them not to.

That was my line of thinking as well... but then again, I always thought the Brutal Legend and Ghostbuters dlc would similarly see release. Alas.

Mylene

finished the game in a day, felt pretty short :( was playing it on and off while taking breaks to do some work, eat, watch tv etc... i say the 4 hr playtime is about right, really wish it was longer and the stages had more freedom. game is pretty easy on normal mode, if there is any difficulty, it lies in some sloppy mechanics of the mini games or boss fights. that being said, i still found the game entertaining and will probably do a second run in nightmare mode to unlock costumes. just not sure if it's worth the full price, i would pickup dragon's dogma first if you haven't already.

Top Bottom