• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Look at Windows Longhorn go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Che

Banned
Have you checked the requirements of the OS? I mean what the hell does it need the 1 gig of RAM?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Che said:
Have you checked the requirements of the OS? I mean what the hell does it need the 1 gig of RAM?

First off, its not expected for 2006.

The 1 gig of RAM is if you want to run it at the highest graphical setting.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'd like to see a daily life video.

Something where the guy surfs the web, talks on IM, and plays a video game or two.

Che

Banned
Lathentar said:
First off, its not expected for 2006.

The 1 gig of RAM is if you want to run it at the highest graphical setting.

But the highest graphical (3d desktop) is Longhorn's most advertised feature. And there's more. Someone plz check the requirements for CPU and HDD space cos I forgot them. They're quite ridiculously high.

Che

Banned
OMFG!!!!! I found the recommended specs of an average PC running Longhorn:

Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1581842,00.asp

SKluck

Banned
Looks, um, kinda gay. Flexibility is nice and all, but I really want to see what kind of cool shit people can do with this, not some stupid school organizational stuff.

neptunes

I like this one cause many teens my age could find this stuff useful.

It would be cool to enter this room where anybody in your class can join and help each other out.

I would actually use this in school.

Chrono

Banned
Ok I'm not a PC expert, but what I don't understand is that all of those demonstrations for health care and higher education are great but don't hospitals and universties use more specialized software then your regular OS? I mean would a hospital worth several hundred milllion dollars invest in an OS they can grab from newegg.com to magange their files/communications instead of investing into a more SPECIALIZED one just for their hospital that costs more but offers more efficiency using the hospital's servers/super computers?

Che said:

Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today.

o__O;

--__--

goodcow

xsarien said:
A reasoned, well-argued counter-point as to why Longhorn should be used instead of Tiger.

Well played.

Because the original poster made a strong point as to how Tiger was better than Longhorn, did he not? Oh wait, he didn't.

Well played.

Oh, yeah. I'll enjoy sucking Steve Job's cock while I'm using the next-gen Photoshop and InDesign Adobe is currently deeloping for Tiger. I've been a hardcore Windows user for all my life. I'm just a bit bored of it now, so I'm getting a Mac. OSX is a superior OS to XP and so far, it's giving Longhorn a run for it's money. I'm into image editing and video editing (I'm better at both than all you combined), so this new OSX and the G5s and the 30" display will be mine.

teiresias

It would be cool to enter this room where anybody in your class can join and help each other out.

This is what I don't get. Most universities I've visited and all of the ones I've attended already use a system that has this functionality, whether it be through the "Blackboard" system or another company's system. Granted it's not as "pretty" because it's basically a web-based system where every class has its own page, and they have class forums, class chat, assignment listings, etc. However, it is web-based, meaning you can access it anywhere you have a web-connection, and it obviously doesn't require dual CPU's and a gig of RAM.

And if you're on a research project of sufficient size (like going to Saturn for instance) that isn't related to a class, it's going to have its own funding and ways of communicating, whether it be a private web-server handled by the researcher or professor or something else. Yeah, I can see professors everywhere telling poor grad students, "Yeah, you need to buy a new $3k PC and run Longhorn in order to participate in this research." Puhlease!

goodcow

God's Hand said:
I'm into image editing and video editing (I'm better at both than all you combined), so this new OSX and the G5s and the 30" display will be mine.

Thanks for playing.

neptunes

teiresias, this just looks prettier ;)

But goodness gracious! if those specs are real I'll be staying on my XP for quite a while.

dem

neptunes said:
teiresias, this just looks prettier ;)

But goodness gracious! if those specs are real I'll be staying on my XP for quite a while.
You would be anyway... seeing as longhorn wont be out for a long long time. Wasnt it pushed back to like 07?08?

SKluck

Banned
neptunes said:

Yeah, maybe.

How many schools actually keep up to date computers though? They usually run at LEAST 2 year old hardware. Not to mention they don't tend to upgrade very often, so if this came out in 2006, they would probably just keep windows 2000 or xp until 2008 or longer until doing an upgrade.

Have you haters even seen what Tiger can do? It's got a built in search that will look through your entire drive as you type and bring up results in real time (like how iTunes searches through songs). The search even becomes context sensitive so if you have the system control panel up and select it in the search box and type "internet," for example, the screen will darken and all the icons in the control panel related to ineternet stuff will light up.

I just watched that Longhorn video and the stuff it's doing is really quite impressive, but there is one fundamental problem with it all. Who do you know who is actually going to take full advantage of all these bloated features? Just because you go through and spend the time associating documents with each other and work groups doesn't mean everybody else is going to. This kind of stuff is nothing but wasted potential because it'll never be used to it's full, amazing, function.

My university uses an online "blackboard" where teachers can post notes to students, keep track of assignments, etc and there are message boards for the students to talk about the class. First off, half the teachers don't even use it. Of the ones that do most of them only use it to post grades. The class message boards are empty with the possible exception of the "When's the test!?" post.

Longhorn has all these fantastic group dynamic ideas but the problem is that the group part is totally dependant on user interaction. Plus you've got to remember that everyone in the group is going to need Longhorn. What about the kid who's still on WinXP? He's boned.

Tiger is doing things on a user level. If you want to go into it's to Automater program and automate a task you can, it's all you. The same goes for the new search system (Spotlight). The features just seem a hell of a lot more usefull and useable than Longhorn's.

VPhys

Che said:

By the time Longhorn comes out 1GB of ram will be as common in the average PC as 256 is today.

Mason

Everything I've seen about Longhorn indicates two things:

1) It's very pretty. I like the way it looks. It's fancy. It's slick. All the advanced graphical features are really cool.

2) It's very cluttered. I don't like that hideous bar on the side of the screen, there are icons, text, etc etc EVERYWHERE. It's just a complete mess.

They need to focus on simplifying things. Less clutter.

Diablos

Che said:

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Hahaha. Your average consumer is not going to have that kind of PC by 2006. WE won't have that type of PC by 2006. In fact Intel is lowerling the clock speed and improving the instruction set for the next line of Pentiums coming out so they don't run as hot...

teiresias

Even on XP I set everything back so that it looks like Win2000. I've just never liked the new Start Menu and all the cluttered and convoluted stuff in XP, and the Longhorn stuff I've seen just looks worse.

Diablos

Umm, after watching the video, the OS does seem a little interesting... but it's not THAT flashy. If MS requires a 4 to 6GHz CPU they're out of their damn minds. Maybe at THIS POINT it runs better with really powerful hardware, but once everything's optimized, I don't think a 2GHz Athlon XP or 2.53GHz P4 with a decent graphics card and at least half a gig of memory will have serious issues with the OS...

maharg

idspispopd
Diablos said:
Hahaha. Your average consumer is not going to have that kind of PC by 2006. WE won't have that type of PC by 2006. In fact Intel is lowerling the clock speed and improving the instruction set for the next line of Pentiums coming out so they don't run as hot...

That doesn't mean the performance of the system will increase at a slower pace, it just means the approach is different.

I think people in this thread are vastly underestimating what happens in 2 years. I think people are also vastly overestimating the importance of 'recommended' specs.

golem

StrikerObi said:
Have you haters even seen what Tiger can do? It's got a built in search that will look through your entire drive as you type and bring up results in real time (like how iTunes searches through songs). The search even becomes context sensitive so if you have the system control panel up and select it in the search box and type "internet," for example, the screen will darken and all the icons in the control panel related to ineternet stuff will light up.

actually, one of my most anticipated features of Longhorn, WinFS (which may or may not make it to initial release) will enable awesome searching power for your computer, with its use of metadata and db like features

Diablos

maharg said:
That doesn't mean the performance of the system will increase at a slower pace, it just means the approach is different.

I think people in this thread are vastly underestimating what happens in 2 years. I think people are also vastly overestimating the importance of 'recommended' specs.

Yeah, just like the Athlon XP/64 CPU's. Intel is ripping off AMD once again; they already said they are going to stop going with how many gigahertz their CPU's are and give it a rating number like the AMD CPU's. Go figure.

"Vastly underestimating"? Come on dude, not that much is gonna change in two years... MS would be foolish to demand such top of the line system specs. And open your friggin' eyes. The OS looks good, but again, it looks like something a Radeon and decent CPU could handle. I think the system specs thing is a bit off. If my 2GHz CPU and 9800 Pro can play games like FarCry and UT2004 with 4x FSAA at 30-60FPS with high texture detail, then guess what, it will have no problem whatsoever with a bunch of icons representing people and folders floating around while an animation of some planet plays in the other window. Simple shit..

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
1 GB is a bit much.

I plan on buiding a system around then with 4 GB (2GB x 2) of DDR2 800 dual channel or whatever is out then. 1/4 for windows is crap. Even in XP with a GB I'm in performance mode.

What the hell is 1 GB for? Everything in speech for idiots that don't know how to use a keyboard? Fook that.

"Yeah, just like the Athlon XP/64 CPU's. Intel is ripping off AMD once again; they already said they are going to stop going with how many gigahertz their CPU's are and give it a rating number like the AMD CPU's. Go figure."

Wait a second? Intel is ripping off AMD because their copying AMDs number system, which is used to compare to intel processors?! Whatever.

maharg

idspispopd
Diablos said:
Yeah, just like the Athlon XP/64 CPU's. Intel is ripping off AMD once again; they already said they are going to stop going with how many gigahertz their CPU's are and give it a rating number like the AMD CPU's. Go figure.

"Vastly underestimating"? Come on dude, not that much is gonna change in two years... MS would be foolish to demand such top of the line system specs. And open your friggin' eyes. The OS looks good, but again, it looks like something a Radeon and decent CPU could handle. I think the system specs thing is a bit off. If my 2GHz CPU and 9800 Pro can play games like FarCry and UT2004 with 4x FSAA at 30-60FPS with high texture detail, then guess what, it will have no problem whatsoever with a bunch of icons representing people and folders floating around while an animation of some planet plays in the other window. Simple shit..

Keep reading. Remember the part where I said "vastly overestimating?" That was about recommended specs.

And 1GB being the norm for new machines in 2 years is absolutely believable. 2 years ago, 128MB was the norm, now 512 is getting into the mainstream hardware. If it suggested 10GB then I'd be right there with you, but 1GB? Why do you think there's a push for 64-bit chips right now? The top of the line is hitting the 2/4GB memory wall already, in two years the top of the line will be well beyond 4GB. The fact is, if it's viable for the big spenders to buy it now, it'll be viable for the moderate spenders to buy it in 2 years. It's as simple as that.

And who says they intend it to run on any old hardware? It's not like XP will cease to exist or people will be forced to upgrade at gunpoint. A sizeable portion of the computing population still uses win98 for christ's sake.

Point is, this is all a lot of much ado about nothin'. We're talking about speculative recommended specs on an unfinished operating system that is *at least* 2 years from release. AT LEAST. When was the last time MS released an OS on time?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I turned it off when the guy was making saliva noises while talking. What little I did see was at least more practicle than the Sun demo which had flipable windows (wtf cares?), I like the effort but I think the are relying a bit much on buzzwords and forced functionality.

Unless Suzie and her class mate (Astrodynamics seems a suspect course for a first year student btw) are trying to figure out the problem, it would probably be better if they could meet face to face or even talk on the phone and/or voice chat. Some things just cannot be communicated easily through text chat and e-mail.

Diablos

maharg said:
Keep reading. Remember the part where I said "vastly overestimating?" That was about recommended specs.

And 1GB being the norm for new machines in 2 years is absolutely believable. 2 years ago, 128MB was the norm, now 512 is getting into the mainstream hardware. If it suggested 10GB then I'd be right there with you, but 1GB? Why do you think there's a push for 64-bit chips right now? The top of the line is hitting the 2/4GB memory wall already, in two years the top of the line will be well beyond 4GB. The fact is, if it's viable for the big spenders to buy it now, it'll be viable for the moderate spenders to buy it in 2 years. It's as simple as that.

And who says they intend it to run on any old hardware? It's not like XP will cease to exist or people will be forced to upgrade at gunpoint. A sizeable portion of the computing population still uses win98 for christ's sake.

Point is, this is all a lot of much ado about nothin'. We're talking about speculative recommended specs on an unfinished operating system that is *at least* 2 years from release. AT LEAST. When was the last time MS released an OS on time?

Eh, two years ago 128MB was still considered pretty low... 256MB was what most people wanted. In 1998-99, my HP Pavilion came with 128MB. That was a lot THEN. A lot of Celeron-based systems came with 512MB and were very affordable, two years ago.

Now, your claim about memory is totally believable because memory is pretty cheap. However I still think people could get by with Longhorn using 512MB if you just turned some of the graphics detail down... the OS looks decent but it's not a beast. \

About CPU's; now that 3GHz processors are on the market, I guess a 4 to 6GHz CPU will be on the market in two years... but maybe not, considering how Intel is going to make CPU's like AMD now, and rate them higher than they really are. In this case they will probably suggest a 64-bit CPU OR a CPU using a specific type of architecture (for example Intel Longhorn chip or
AMD Athlon LP-64 :D).

I'd like to see more examples of how this OS is used, other than a bunch of nerds discussing planets inside of a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom