• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Look at Windows Longhorn go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Its a VERY feature bloated OS which is unfortunate because it will take people quite some time to get used to those features and these types of features only add time to the deployment of the OS. What Microsoft seems to be wanting to do here is change the dynamic by which you actually use the OS. They've integrated sooooo much stuff into the OS that in a sense its becoming a lot like OSX where you don't really need many 3rd party applications for your day to day operations.

I agree with the opinion that many of these features are like they welded Entourage's Project Center into the OS. As an avid user of the new Microsoft Office for OSX (which craps on the Office XP version something fierce), I think they are barking up the wrong tree. It takes an incredible amount of time to properly categorize and assign metadata to documents, conversations, etc. I don't think most people are going to really be able to appreciate this just like they couldn't with BeOS.

Outside of these things the OS appears to be 'standard' enough that it should run comfortably on todays CPUs just fine - so I'm somewhat confused by their system requirements. They don't make a lick of sense.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm into image editing and video editing (I'm better at both than all you combined),

dork-sphere.gif

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
dork-sphere.gif

And not only is he a dork, but you can see here that he secretly longs for some Longhorn. Still, I bet that G5 he's saving up for can render Photoshop filters faster than all you bitches...it just won't be playing many good games.

xsarien

daedsiluap
tedtropy said:
dork-sphere.gif

And not only is he a dork, but you can see here that he secretly longs for some Longhorn. Still, I bet that G5 he's saving up for can render Photoshop filters faster than all you bitches...it just won't be playing many good games.

And no games is the end of the world, right? :p

(Not like there's anything worth a damn coming out for the PC this year outside of HL2.)

tedtropy

xsarien said:
And no games is the end of the world, right? :p

(Not like there's anything worth a damn coming out for the PC this year outside of HL2.)

End of the world, no? Beginning of the Apocalpyse, yeah, probably. Most of us like for our over-priced high-performance computers to also be able to play some high-end games. If that helps it excel at video/photo editing, great, but I think a machine should be a jack of all trades...

xsarien

daedsiluap
tedtropy said:
End of the world, no? Beginning of the Apocalpyse, yeah, probably. Most of us like for our over-priced high-performance computers to also be able to play some high-end games. If that helps it excel at video/photo editing, great, but I think a machine should be a jack of all trades...

And those of us who don't really play games on the PC these days are chopped liver?

If someone wants a dual 2.5GHz G5 to rock the Photoshop and FCP, more power to 'em. It'll do a fantastic job.

tedtropy

Yeah, it will, and costs considerably less than the average G5 doing it in addition to being able to do other aforementioned things, should our hypothetical user wish to. I'm not bashing preference per say, just over-priced, over-hyped hardware. I think the G5's a beautiful piece of engineering. In fact, if Apple just sold their empty cases in an ATX-compatible form, I'd convert.

xsarien

daedsiluap
tedtropy said:
Yeah, it will, and costs considerably less than the average G5 doing it in addition to being able to do other aforementioned things, should our hypothetical user wish to. I'm not bashing preference per say, just over-priced, over-hyped hardware. I think the G5's a beautiful piece of engineering. In fact, if Apple just sold their empty cases in an ATX-compatible form, I'd convert.

Considerably overpriced if you build your shit, slightly if you like to order pre-built machines. Apple's not the only one guilty of saying "If you want pre-built, bleeding edge stuff, you're going to pay through the nose."

Everyone wave to Alienware and their ilk...

tedtropy

xsarien said:
Considerably overpriced if you build your shit, slightly if you like to order pre-built machines. Apple's not the only one guilty of saying "If you want pre-built, bleeding edge stuff, you're going to pay through the nose."

Everyone wave to Alienware and their ilk...

I agree completely, Alienware's systems (while nice) are rediculously overpriced. When they mentioned "financing available" in one of their commericals I couldn't help but think "no shit, 'cause you're gonna need it". Just build your systems. It's not difficult, you'll learn from it, save money, and at the risks of having things thrown at me, it's kind of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom