• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Look I understand everyone needs a little spice in their life but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Link

As you may recall, in December The Lookout reported on the Naga Viper and its initiation as the chili pepper with the most heat. But now there's a hotter ticket in town: the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.

Yes, the Butch T. outdistances the Naga Viper, barely, on the Scoville scale -- which rates spice power by tracking the presence of a chemical compound in chilis. The Australian Butch T. weighs in at 1.46 million heat units on the scale, while the British Naga Viper tops out at 1.38 million. For comparison, the average jalapeno pepper falls around 5,000.

"They're just severe, absolutely severe," Marcel de Wit, co-owner of the chili farm that produced the pepper, told Australian Geographic. "No wonder they start making crowd-control grenades now with chillies. It's just wicked." He added that the pepper is so potent, he and his his team have to wear protective gloves when handling the Butch T., lest their hands are left "pumping heat for two days later." Making salsa with the Butch T., he explained, involves wearing chemical masks and body suits to defend against fumes given off in the cooking heat.

Like those freaks who mix pure Capsaicin into their food. Where one little grain has to be picked up with tweezers and the second its placed in the chili in bubbles over like poison death. Seriously? Look, I understand some people like pain and all that but when you have to wear chemical suits when you're cooking FOOD it's time to stop imo.

I never understand why i should want to burn my mouth apart.

Amir0x said:
I never understand why i should want to burn my mouth apart.
I absolutely agree.
Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food from time to time, but I don't see the appeal of suffering just because you can.

Also, those can't be safe for anyone to eat. That's just crazy how intense they rank on the heat scale. I hope you have the local hospital standing by when you decide to put it on top of dinner.

While I sure enjoy my spicy sauces/curries, too much of them or ones that are very high on the Scoville scale will just ruin your taste buds over time.

Clydefrog

j1LiY.jpg

I have a bottle of Dave's Insanity, and it's fine occasionally, but that's as far as I'll go. You can still taste the flavor of this, although a pure drop will set my mouth on fire for about 15 minutes. I don't see the point of going hotter.

I also find that I can still appreciate tabasco even after using the hotter sauces for a while, although things like chocolate gelato with a hint of cayenne is lost on me. Can't feel the heat at all, although my friends can.

Jaffaboy

I've tried the Naga Viper sauce from the bottle, and literally had a tiny drop and it was pretty intense for about 10 minutes. It was quite a nice feeling though.

I'm from Mexico, where hot spice culture is prevalent, and I don't understand the reasoning behind hurting yourself while eating. People I know tell me that food doesn't taste the same anymore for them without hot stuff (probably because their tastebuds were burned a long time ago). I just steer clear from that stuff.

Leunam

I don't get it either. I never understand why people tell me they don't like some particular sauce because it's not spicy enough. I love spicy food, but I want it to have some damn flavor too.

Amir0x said:
Like those freaks who mix pure Capsaicin into their food. Where one little grain has to be picked up with tweezers and the second its placed in the chili in bubbles over like poison death. Seriously? Look, I understand some people like pain and all that but when you have to wear chemical suits when you're cooking FOOD it's time to stop imo.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

If I can't taste my food over the searing pain, it's not worth it.

edgefusion

I used to ear whole jars of jalapeños in one sitting but they'd give me the major shits afterward. How people could manage a sauce made from something so strong without a serious case of explosive diarrhoea afterward I'll never know. I guess they must have guts made from iron or something.

Drewsky

I tried a habanero one time and that was awful. I hate spicy food too. I just don't get it, why eat something that causes you pain?

Well... you kinda get used, and then you need more each time.

I live in Mexico (border with USA), and most of the food here is very spicy... well, since I was a kid, jalapenos and stuff were part of my daily diet.

But then, jalapeños are not spicy anymore. I literally eat most of my foods with some raw habaneros on the side.

It's like vice... you need more every day.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Nard Bagman said:
Like a fucking boss. I couldn't handle that as coolly as he did.
Yeah, but did you read the description:
Only downsides I see are that the peppers are so small and the grueling stomach pain. The stomach pain was pretty dreadful. Luckily it did not start till after the mouth burn subsided. I attempted to lie down on my kitchen floor to try and calm my stomach. It did not work.

:lol

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Drewsky said:
I tried a habanero one time and that was awful. I hate spicy food too. I just don't get it, why eat something that causes you pain?
Because it's biologically true that it causes pleasure. It's just a matter of finding the right level of spicyness.

I know it's nothing compared to what's out there, but the spiciest thing I've ever had were the Blazin' wings from Buffalo Wild Wings. Not doing that again.

I love spicy food though. Spent a summer in Chengdu, China, known for their spicy food. There was some intense stuff but they know how to balance flavors and heat in their meals. It's pretty awesome.

Kraftwerk

My boss LOVES spicy food. He has a little bottle of some insane chilly sause that he applies to everything. I once - foolishly - asked to try it.

All I'm gonna say is that, I peed molten lava. NEVER AGAIN.

Fuzzy said:
Just imagine the pain coming out.
I've never had anything that put me on the ground, but I've had hot sauces that hurt my mouth and then hurt my stomach a few minutes later, and I never had any problems with it coming out. When I was younger I'd get ass burn from spicy food, but not any more.

Burger

I like spice when it complements the dish and allows you to enjoy it, but have a good bit of heat along with it. I hate overpowering spicy foods where all you can taste is the burning from the peppers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
parrotbeak said:
I've never had anything that put me on the ground, but I've had hot sauces that hurt my mouth and then hurt my stomach a few minutes later, and I never had any problems with it coming out. When I was younger I'd get ass burn from spicy food, but not any more.
It's the only reason I don't eat super spicy foods any more. I could handle the spiciness in my mouth and it never hurt my stomach but the pain coming out is what made me stop. Any burning down there wasn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom