• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Looking Ahead] 2010 Oscar Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eastwood and Morgan Freeman teaming up for a Mandela bio-pic? Sign me up.

I doubt Avatar, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Watchmen or Edge of Darkness will get nominated no matter how good they are. The Academy has shown where its views lie with the total disinterest they displayed towards Children of Men. Gritty speculative fiction can be safely ignored, apparently.

Tarantino is a long shot, but the script is good enough for a nomination I feel.

master15

Timber said:
The lovely bones sounds so... lovely! ive been waiting for peter jackson to do something a bit more heavenly creatures (which i love so much) and less lotr/king kong.

Agreed, I have high hopes for the Lovely Bones. Unfortunately Jackson's mis-steps with Kong was endless flaunted but I like you supremely love Heavenly Creatures and hoping he can rediscover some of his mojo with this one.

Cheebs

Banana Kid said:
If it all turns out to be as good as some are saying, I think Watchmen might have a chance. Now that The Dark Knight has softened the public up and gotten them to accept the superhero genre as legitimate films, Watchmen has a chance to be the ROTK of superhero movies.
Based on the critical reception? Not a chance. A lot of the traditional media are giving Watchmen pretty weak reviews.

carey_mulligan_an_education_movie_image1.jpg

Sally Sparrow snubs Doctor Who for a small-scale English bildungsroman? The Who fans must be fuming! :lol

But I love you MikeWorks.

Anyway you'll all thank me for keeping AVATAR permenantly on your radars for the past couple years once it comes out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Scullibundo said:
But I love you MikeWorks.

Anyway you'll all thank me for keeping AVATAR permenantly on your radars for the past couple years once it comes out.
You make it sound like without your help no one will know about it come December. :lol

Ninja Scooter said:
i like how people can hype up "Oscar" type movies in advance, and then once the Oscars actually roll around people complain about how the Oscars are so predictable and only reward the same old kind of films year after year.
Someone gets it.

I'll go further. I like how people believe Oscar type movies are generally good. I for one, am damn tired of lame period flicks, biopics and/or films that exist solely to push a performance for awards consideration with actors on the screen shouting "I'm acting, I'm acting!" Consequently we suffer through shit like Sean Penn's "is that my daughter in there" and Angelina Jolie's "I just want my son back." Awful Oscar bait.

Dan said:
You make it sound like without your help no one will know about it come December. :lol

Someone gets it.

I'll go further. I like how people believe Oscar type movies are generally good. I for one, am damn tired of lame period flicks, biopics and/or films that exist solely to push a performance for awards consideration with actors on the screen shouting "I'm acting, I'm acting!" Consequently we suffer through shit like Sean Penn's "is that my daughter in there" and Angelina Jolie's "I just want my son back." Awful Oscar bait.

I have a feeling The Soloist is going to be just like that.

Eric WK

Dan said:

There's a huge fucking difference between Oscar bait and great films that AMPAS is smart enough to recognize.

Solo said:
I cant take The Soloist seriously. Jamie Foxx just looks too ridiculous.

I loved Atonement, so I'm hoping it's atleast a bit good, but I just laugh during the trailer :lol

beelzebozo said:
this feels like an exercise in futility

but at least it's a list of cool movies i know i should see eventually

Yeah, that's what I meant it as.

Stage On

If Coraline isn't at least nominated for Best animated then something will be really rotten.

That movie is a underraprecaited gem, a diamond in the rough amoung all the slock that's running at the moment

Solo

Eric WK said:
There's a huge fucking difference between Oscar bait and great films that AMPAS is smart enough to recognize.

Agreed. And we've seen a shit ton from each category over the years.

bud

if heat is anything to go by, then i don't see public enemies getting nominated either. maybe for stuff like best costume design or whatever, but i doubt it.

Mobius 1

Viggo will probably draw attention for his portrait of the Man in The Road.

Of course... can't really say until the movie actually is released. :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Eric WK said:
Maybe, but those other films that slip in are rarely discussed as Oscar contenders until the end of the year, after a bunch of the Oscar bait has flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom