• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Quick Important Info:
  • Developer: Snowblind Studios & published by Warner Bros. Interactive
  • Platforms: 360 / PS3 / PC (Steamworks)
  • M-Rated
  • RELEASE DATES:
    - US/Canada/Mexico – November 1, 2011
    - France – November 3, 2011
    - EU not stated elsewhere - November 4, 2011
    - Africa - November 4, 2011
    - Middle East - November 4, 2011
    - Russia - November 4, 2011
    - Brazil – November 4, 2011
    - South America – November 4, 2011
    - Nordics – November 8, 2011
    - Aus/NZ – November 16, 2011
    - UK - England/Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales - November 25, 2011
    - Asia - TBA

Quick Intro & Info:
My experience with Lord of the Rings games has been average at best. I had no interest in the movie games as they just seemed like your typical 6-8 hour licensed single-player title. I thought the RTS (Battle for Middle Earth) was decent, nothing special or memorable. I gave the MMO a shot but am just not into the grind and gameplay sacrifices that come with that genre.

So why be interested in this LotR game? I enjoyed the movies but am not a hardcore LotR fan or anything. So why is War in the North different? Here's a bullet-point list of the key features, since I have a feeling more people will read a list rather than another paragraph:

Key Gameplay Info (definitely read this stuff):
  • Developed by Snowblind who made Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
  • Deep action-RPG with up to 3-player online co-op and also split-screen (consoles only for now)
  • Story takes place during the journey for the Ring but in the North
  • Customization with tons and tons of LOOT allowing you to customize your character with all sorts of equipment and weapons of different rarities (including epics). Loot gets better and better in your subsequent play-throughs in higher difficulties and New Game+
  • 3 different heroes/classes with detailed skill trees that have 3 paths for each class
  • Stat attributes and points to spend when leveling up
  • ~15 hour campaign with incentive for multiple play-throughs due to the loot system and New Game+
  • "Challenge Maps" - basically an arena horde mode (currently 2 maps) that also gives you XP and item drops that you can carry over to your campaign
  • Level cap of 40 (takes about 3 full play-throughs to reach the cap)
  • Brutal combat with gore and dismemberment (did my best to avoid dropping the "visceral" bomb here, wasn't easy)
  • Each of the 3 heroes has a story that branches off, giving you further incentive to replay the game
  • Visuals look really nice and the score is by Inon Zur who composed the Crysis soundtrack among 40 other game OSTs
  • Town hubs like Bree or Rivendell, where you can interact with NPC's, vendors, side quests, and other activities.

CQdNK.jpg

MEET THE HEROES:

Eradan: Dúnedain Ranger

dunedain01.jpg

One of the Rangers of the North, secret protectors of the lands once ruled by their ancestors. The life of a Ranger is a hard one; to survive he has mastered many skills. Always outnumbered, he has learned evasion tactics, allowing him to take enemies by surprise or to escape from a tight spot. He is a master archer, able to bring down foes from afar. And when stealth and archery are of no avail, he is more than capable with weapon and shield, dual-weapons or two-handed swords.

Andriel: Loremaster of Rivendell

elf01.jpg

An Elven Loremaster, schooled in ancient wisdom by Elrond himself; yet she is no meek scholar. In her hands a simple staff becomes a deadly weapon, not only because she wields it with Elven-skill, but also because she can use it to focus her power, striking down enemies near and far. But as capable as she is in combat, Andriel’s true strength lies in her power to preserve and protect her allies, and with her arts she can create shields of light which heal and restore those within.

Farin: Champion of Erebor

dwarf01.jpg

A Champion of the Dwarf-realm of Erebor. From his first taste of war at the Battle of Five Armies, he has been one of the foremost defenders of his homeland. A true son of a warlike race, Farin is skilled in the use of all melee weapons and adept with a crossbow as well. While he strikes punishing blows, his greatest strength lies in his ability to endure harm. In battle, Farin is an unyielding rock upon which waves of enemies break. The sound of his fierce war-cry bolsters his allies, even as it strikes fear into the hearts of his enemies.

CLICK ON THESE PORTRAITS FOR THEIR FULL LORE AND BACKSTORIES:

DAT LOOT (definitely read this too):

Official loot FAQ: LINK

Quick summary:
  • Adds a ton of replayability and longevity to the game because you get better and rarer loot in higher difficulties and NG+, which gives you incentive to play through the game multiple times. This is awesome. The loot is also randomized.
  • Loot sources include: chests, breakables (crates, barrels, urns, etc.), loot piles, fallen enemies
  • How loot works during co-op: Each player gets their own version of the loot, so there's no mad rush for it like with Diablo
  • Trading system to trade your loot with friends and other co-op players
  • You carry your equip over from campaign to co-op so you can show off your phat loot to whoever you want
  • 3 tiers of armor/equip which each have different looks and feel: Standard, High, and Masterwork. (Yes, your hero changes appearance when equipping the gear)

WEAPONS FAQ (and this, sorry lol):

Official Weapons FAQ: LINK

Quick summary:
  • Five basic weapon types: one-handed weapons, two-handed weapons, staves, bows and crossbows. Within those broader categories are many more specific weapon types, including one-handed swords, axes, maces and hammers, as well as two-handed great swords, battle axes, great hammers and war maces.
  • Class-specific weapons are in: 1H and 2H Staves = Elf. Crossbows, 2H battle axes, 2H war maces, 2H great hammers = Dwarf. Bows = Human/Ranger.
  • Rare stones that can be socketed into weapons for various effects including elemental effects, damage upgrades, other stuff not revealed yet.
  • Lots of uniques. Also "ultra-rares"
  • Arrows and crossbow bolts are at a premium in the game and can't be spammed
  • Artists and sound designers/engineers spent a lot of time on the weapons to make them look and feel great

OTHER IMPORTANT INFO:
PC SYSTEM REQS
LOCATIONS (might be spoilerish)
ALLIES
ENEMIES
SKILL TREES

TRAILERS & VIDEOS
E3 CINEMATIC TRAILER
THE FELLOWSHIP TRAILER
BRUTAL COMBAT VIDEO
POWER OF THREE TRAILER
GAMEPLAY VIDEO OF SNOWY MOUNT GUNABAD
HEROES WILL RISE TRAILER
UNTOLD STORY TRAILER
THE BLACK NUMENOREAN TRAILER
OFFICIAL YOUTUBE CHANNEL (lots more vids, including dev commentary and behind the scenes)

SCREENSHOTS:

webrelaunch06.jpg
bn_ss_01.jpg

ettenmoors14.jpg
e3_ss_06.jpg

e3_ss_08.jpg
ettenmoors12.jpg

e3_ss_07.jpg
e32011_ss_057j5z.jpg

COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS:

NORTH AMERICA:
OQ5cs.jpg
Bu0u1.jpg
I8npf.jpg

AWESOME EUROPEAN CE WITH A BADASS SNOW TROLL STATUE THAT NA ISN'T GETTING :(
(click for huge 3k resolution pic)

First game OT... hope it's decent. I tried not to make it look like a PR brochure (don't have the skills for that anyway lol as you can see) and just list important info in a (hopefully) easy to read format that's informative and relevant.

Took a few hours which was way longer than I expected. The game has a lot of depth and features to explain but wow. Time for bed...

This game is gonna be awesome! Give it a shot

Bear

I'm looking forward to seeing how this game turns out, it actually looks and sounds pretty interesting. I usually don't care for licensed but this has managed to get me cautiously anticipated.

Didnt even know this game existed, but I generally avoid lotr stuff.

If the 3 player coop is good I will buy it for sure though, I love a good coop action rpg.

Ridley327

I'm still amazed that we're actually getting a hard M-rated LOTR game.

Definitely can't fit this into my budget this year, but a loot-heavy Snowblind game will always be a game I need to get at some point.

Why is there always one person that goes "looks great but bomba because released along with AAA." Honestly stop pointing out what the mainstream deems obvious...

Some people such as myself truly aren't interested in the huge game's for whatever reason and would rather give something like this a go.

...Just something on my mind that always bothers me....

Anyway like I said, I plan on getting this game soon-ish.

Yeah, this time of year is jam-packed with great games. I really hope they do well as Snowblind is a good studio. Personally I'm skipping out on COD and BF this year because I'm burnt out on military shooters... just wanted something totally different and War in the North looks like the answer. The loot system and online co-op sealed the deal.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ridley327 said:
I'm still amazed that we're actually getting a hard M-rated LOTR game.
Because when reading or watching Lord of the Rings, I always thought, "this was okay, but what it really needs is to be more gory."

Daigoro

excellent OT (and i rarely praise OT's). i appreciate that it doesnt look like an add.

this game looks and sounds really cool.

Ridley327

Htown said:
Because when reading or watching Lord of the Rings, I always thought, "this was okay, but what it really needs is to be more gory."
It's not really that; I just would have thought with the large younger audience fanbase that the films and books have, they wouldn't do a gory hack and slash ever.

Yet here we are!

I need a coop loot game on my 360, it's been a while since Sacred 2. Passed on Dungeon Siege 3 because of the silly co-op system where you don't get to keep your stuff in co-op, so this game is it, pre-ordered.

mjc

Waitwaitwaitwait...

This has randomized loot that gets better as you play NG+, has 3 player online co-op, and has a trading system?

I wasn't planning on getting this right away but DAMN this looks good. I'm a sucker for LOTR games too.

scorpscarx said:
Why is there always one person that goes "looks great but bomba because released along with AAA." Honestly stop pointing out what the mainstream deems obvious...

Some people such as myself truly aren't interested in the huge game's for whatever reason and would rather give something like this a go.

...Just something on my mind that always bothers me....

Anyway like I said, I plan on getting this game soon-ish.

I'm interested as well. I was just commenting on the folly of releasing a quality game around this time when it has little chance to gain mindshare. Hopefully I'm wrong, but with Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, and the looming Diablo III it will be tough for a fantasy game to gain traction, not to mention all the other titles coming out.

Sorry for wasting your internet space

I've been keeping one eye out for this, but just to make sure: this has local co-op on one Xbox, with all characters played being saved?

odin toelust said:
Sorry for wasting your internet space

Lol... Sorry I've just read that classic statement soo many times over the years.

I hope this game is kick ass, if so it will be the only game I plan on buying since Red Orchestra 2 and before Diablo 3..

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Those images look pretty good. Fuck, if this game turns out good and I got to buy yet ANOTHER game in November...

irishcow

I am 100% buying this I love lotr and this looks excellent. Hopefully a lot of people are playing on PC for Co op action!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nice OT, OP.

Game wasn't on my radar but it's now looking pretty tempting. Too bad November is a bitch.

Dead Man

This actually looks pretty good. Can't afford this and Skyrim in the same month though, this will need to wait for a bit.

Salazar

Dead Man said:
This actually looks pretty good. Can't afford this and Skyrim in the same month though, this will need to wait for a bit.

When does Australia get it ?

Quite hyped, really. Going to dwarf it up first time through.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
When does Australia get it ?

Quite hyped, really. Going to dwarf it up first time through.
I presume when the UK does. At least, that would be when we can import it easiest ;)

Aaron

Last Hearth said:
Pre-order on Amazon and you'll get $20 game credit. So you can get it for about $36. No reason to wait.
Yes. I couldn't pass up this deal either. After the underwhelming Hunted, I'm eager for fantasy co-op action.

inky

Cautiously optimistic about this game. The release date means I'll wait for a deal, probably next year tho.

Tagg9

Very nice OT. I'm cautiously optimistic, but will wait to see what reviewers think. I'd love to play local co-op with a few friends.

Giolon

I was really hyped on this game back when it was announced, but the recent trailers I've seen have soured me on it a bit. The animations look kind of janky, and the textures are blurry. That doesn't mean it'll be a bad game, but it's usually not a good sign.

I'll watch this with tempered optimism. Definitely not a day one purchase.

ironcreed

Banned
I am still really excited for it, but it will have to wait. Skyrim is right around the corner and I have other games to play as well. Bad timing on this release for me, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Oh, this is an action rpg? Thought it was a continuation of the RTS line. Hmm, interested now. Seeing that it is Steamplay I'll check the cdkey-selling sites.

The UK launch bothers me. By the time we get it the rest of the world will have had it for a month. If it wanted to build a thriving community and simultaneous launch would have been the way to go. If this had been out before Skyrim I would have been there day 1, sadly, in the UK it isn't so it'll have to wait. Looks good though.

Top Bottom