• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

ataboada

I had definitely forgotten about this game. This gaming season's just adding to my backlog. So much to play...

Day one nevertheless.

Here's the full release date list for every territory, added to the OP:

* US/Canada/Mexico – November 1, 2011
* France – November 3, 2011
* EU not stated elsewhere - November 4, 2011
* Africa - November 4, 2011
* Middle East - November 4, 2011
* Russia - November 4, 2011
* Brazil – November 4, 2011
* South America – November 4, 2011
* Nordics – November 8, 2011
* Aus/NZ – November 16, 2011
* UK - England/Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales - November 25, 2011
* Asia - TBA

Grisby

Nice OT. Waiting on gaffers reviews.

That community rep in the other thread seemed nice though. I always like it when a dev gets involved in GAF (like Capy).

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
I'm definitely still around, and happy to answer any questions. I just don't want to infringe on Heavy's excellent thread. :)

Nothing to infringe! :D It's not my OT or w/e, has nothing to do with me. It's all for the game! I'm sure everyone would appreciate a dev getting involved to answer questions and stuff like you did in the last thread.

Champions of Norrath was awesome. I'm getting this day one along with Uncharted. Amazon has a$20 promo offer on this game so that just seals the deal.

Darklord

Banned
Sadly, this will get buried. I'd be more interested if it came next like next March or April. A good off-season game. I'll probably get it cheap around then anyway.

SnowblindTina

lastplayed said:
Retail says the 16th, but Steam says Nov 2nd. Or is Steam going to pull the rug again.

To be honest, the date was 11/2 for all SKUs in AUS/NZ, but we just heard yesterday from the Australian office that the date was pushed back. I'm still investigating the delay, and whether Steam will be using the old date or the new date.

I hope to have more info by tomorrow from the AUS/NZ office.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The trailers I watched didn't look particularly great, I'm surprised it's a game they want to push like that with the bundles and all...

Unless I missed a really cool one, what's the best gameplay demonstration video?

Very much looking forward to playing this. I had intended to buy this, but don't have room in the budget. I'll be renting from Gamefly instead, 360 version.

In regards to online co-op, is there a "quick match" feature to join up with other players? If so, are you matched up based upon character levels?

The_Monk

Great OT!

I saw this on "now playing" in Gamespot but I was not paying 100% attention.

That CE really looks amazing, but I need some closer look on that statue, any bigger pictures of it?

Reluctant-Hero said:
Very much looking forward to playing this. I had intended to buy this, but don't have room in the budget. I'll be renting from Gamefly instead, 360 version.

In regards to online co-op, is there a "quick match" feature to join up with other players? If so, are you matched up based upon character levels?
Yeah I think there's some sort of match-making system for quick match

Monk here's higher res statue http://h4.abload.de/img/ps3_uk_collector-mock-1qx1.jpg

Bought this on Green Man as soon as it went up and was confirmed to be Steamworks. I've been really loving a bit of hack and slash lately, and LotR is freaking nerd crack.

SnowblindTina said:
I hope to have more info by tomorrow from the AUS/NZ office.

Fingers crossed! I'm really looking forward to this.

SnowblindTina

Dark Stalkers said:
Does the ai control the other characters or will you be solo in SP?

The three characters are always present. If you play Solo, AI will fill in the other two with some light management of the AI on your part. (such as giving new items to them for use, etc.)

SnowblindTina

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
For those that bought Batman and got the 30 dollar gaming credit, you get an extra 10 when buying LOTR.

Not only that, you get an extra $20 credit in the Kmart deal when you pick up War in the North. It was a really fantastic (but shortlived) offer.

SnowblindTina

Reluctant-Hero said:

Heavy is right, we will matchmake, and it will search for groups based on both your current skill and where you are in the story.

SnowblindTina

DevelopmentArrested said:
Thanks for the quick answers. Quick question and maybe a weird one but any split screen vids out there?

Not any produced by us. The reason was that split screen is only available on console (not available on PC), so marketing didn't want to put out videos with the vertical split screen before release, in case it confused PC users, and brought about incorrect expectations. (We focused on videos showing content from all Skus).

My guess is that you'll start to see quite a lot of the videos with the vertical split screen in upcoming press previews and reviews.

Akkad

Banned
SnowblindTina said:
Yes, there are hubs like Bree or Rivendell, where you can interact with NPC's, vendors, side quests, and other activities. :)

OK, this is getting more interesting.

Looks legitimately fun. A question about the older games that coincided with the movies:

Are they considered bad? Because I remember them being legitimately good and I don't recall hearing anything about them because I didn't read anything about video games when I played them.

Macmanus

The original EA LotR games were good for licensed games. But that's a damned low bar.

I love Snowblind console ARPG's so I'll love this no doubt.

I'm curious what engine is being used for this game. I guess I'm to assume it's Snowblind's own?

Bazhard

Banned
Why is it europe ALWAYS gets the badass editions? not just games, they get the best dvd/blu-ray sets as well.

we get what? a stupid ass arrow bag? anyways looking forward to the game but releasing it the same day as uncharted 3? terrible date, and with the other like 4 huge titles coming out in november i doubt ill touch this till jan-feb.

Salazar

Arlecchino said:
Looks legitimately fun. A question about the older games that coincided with the movies:

Are they considered bad? Because I remember them being legitimately good and I don't recall hearing anything about them because I didn't read anything about video games when I played them.

Return of the King was pretty awesome. Played it on a Mac. Ran splendidly. The Cirith Ungol bit was particularly awesome.

Heavy said:
Yes, it has the 'Games for Windows' logo on the box so that means it's required to support the 360 controller out of the box. Every game with the GFW (or GFWL) logo on it I've been able to just turn on my wireless 360 pad and it works right away so it should be fine.
Fuck. Well, not using my kmart coupon for it now.

Edit: well now I'm confused about branding. I've owned 4 gfw (gfwl? I don't know anymore.) games and not one has ever worked for me. Terrible crap.

Loxley

Arlecchino said:

Not at all, here's how I'd rank EA's LotR games:

#1 - Battle for Middle-Earth 1 & 2 - Legitimately good strategy games that covered events from the books that the movies never touched.
#2 - Return of the King tie-in - The co-op was fun as hell, and the game was also pretty challenging in some areas.
#3 - The Two Towers tie-in - While the Return of the King was a more polished experience and clearly had an increased budget compared to the Two Towers game tie-in, it was a fun hack n' slasher.
#4 - The Third Age - I'm a bit of an apologist for this game, it's certainly not as well realized as the other games mentioned, but I never thought it was bad.

LotR: Conquest (one of Pandemic's final games before going under) was a mess. It was EA's final LotR game and they rushed it out the door because they were about to lose the license to WB Interactive. It sounded interesting (Star Wars: Battlefront but with The Lord of the Rings) but felt about 70% complete, like a lot of Pandemic's games.

Overall I think for the most part EA made good use of the license, they implemented the film assets very well into the games, from the art direction to Howard Shore's score.

I actually still go back and play Return of the King every now and then. I have pretty fond memories of playing the co-op with my best friend over Christmas break way back in 2003 when I was 14, so it's a pure nostalgia trip for me. That's partially why I'm picking up the 360 version, I'm hoping to build on some of that nostalgia with the split-screen co-op in War in the North, looks like a blast.

domstah

Seeing as this is a Warner Bros. game is there any sort of Online Pass shenanigans?

I'm far more interested in this than the third Uncharted movie - love Snowblind's RPGs!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This game looks to be a contender for this year sleeper hit. It is like someone actually has the correct idea of what a LOTR rpg should be now let us see if they can actually pull it off.

ironcreed

Banned
domstah said:
Seeing as this is a Warner Bros. game is there any sort of Online Pass shenanigans?

I'm far more interested in this than the third Uncharted movie - love Snowblind's RPGs!

I have not heard of any of that going on with this one. I am going to try and Gamefly it next week, myself.

FredFish

According to their weekly flyer Best Buy in the US will be giving away a Snow Troll figure if you buy the game there ("Min. 4 per store"). Also their version has an exclusive "Elf Pack" which is a weapon and full set of armor. Doesn't say anything about having to pre-order to get either of them.

FredFish said:
According to their weekly flyer Best Buy in the US will be giving away a Snow Troll figure if you buy the game there ("Min. 4 per store"). Also their version has an exclusive "Elf Pack" which is a weapon and full set of armor. Doesn't say anything about having to pre-order to get either of them.
for the regular edition?

Ainaurdur

I have been having some internal conflict over the past month about whether to get this at launch or not.

Love everything about the source material, enjoyed Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on PS2, really enjoyed The Two Towers, Return of the King and The Third Age as well. Been wanting something new like War in the North.

I pre-ordered it on Amazon for PS3, but then cancelled it when I was thinking about my Christmas holiday budget. Gifts for family over gifts for me!

But being about 2 days away from launch, Steam taunted me, and I caved. My preload is almost complete. I am so very ready for Tuesday. Just not certain which character I will play first.

FredFish

Heavy said:
for the regular edition?

"Buy any version of The Lord of the Rings: War in the North and get a Snow Troll Figurine for FREE"

I pre-ordered on Amazon because of the $20 coupon (and since Amazon let's you link your Discover Cash Rewards now I kinda-sorta got the game for "free") but I semi-wish I had waited now.

Top Bottom