• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Card Boy

Banned
Rekubot said:
Any word on splitscreen co-op? Or is it online only?

Splitscreen co-op is consoles only (along with regular online co-op), PC version only has online co-op (no splitscreen). We where begging for it in the news thread but no word from Tina besides a 'I will pass it on'

Dunan

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does this game actually have some left-handed protagonists (Andriel and the archer)?

Aaron

Dunan said:
Are my eyes deceiving me, or does this game actually have some left-handed protagonists (Andriel and the archer)?
Don't worry. I'm sure that'll be flipped in the Wii version.

Winnie the Pimp said:
yeah this is the game where i read something like you can ONLY play with 3 players but not 2 players... did they fix this meanwhile?
Any players you don't use are controlled by AI. So always three on screen, no matter how many actual people are playing.

Lord Phol

Great OP, glad someone made it.
Have been longing for a snowlind game this whole generation, can't wait!

Will be playing this on the PS3, got it preordered and all.
Says it will be released 9/11 here in Sweden though D:.

Aaron said:
Don't worry. I'm sure that'll be flipped in the Wii version.

Any players you don't use are controlled by AI. So always three on screen, no matter how many actual people are playing.

ahh yeah that's what it was hmmm

well what if i don't WANT a stupid bot on screen? :(

Tizoc

Maximum Level is 40?
What would be the highest level I ca reach in my first playthrough?
May get this since a friend recommended it to me.

.la1n

This looks good actually, haven't played a LoTR title since the gamecube days. I think it's about time to jump back in :)
Nice OT by the way.

Have this game preordered and paid in full (along with Uncharted 3). Buying this blindly, based only on the Snowblind's reputation - loved their Champions of Norrath game on PS2.

Kinda nervous, because the game media doesn't sell War in the North as a Diablo-clone (which I'd love it to be). Couldn't care less for the setting, but LotR stuff is okay, I guess. Just make it a fun loot-collecting game please. :( Dungeon Siege III was atrocious and I have nothing to scratch my Diablo itch with since Dungeon Hunter: Alliance.

witness

Heavy said:
Personally I'm skipping out on COD and BF this year because I'm burnt out on military shooters... just wanted something totally different and War in the North looks like the answer. The loot system and online co-op sealed the deal.

Same thing for me. I'm just tired of them at the end of the year and having a game like this come out is really refreshing. The fact that there's new game + and new game ++ along with horde style arena's for co op so you can keep getting loot is fantastic. Along with the fact that each character has 3 different talent trees for distinctive styles of play....I will be playing this for a long long time.

Day 1 and I hope there's DLC.

FGMPR

Banned
Looks great, but between BF3, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, LA Noire and maybe the Old Republic, its going to have to take a back-seat until January or February for me.

This game has very little LOTR feel and atmosphere, at least for me.

Elfs that use magic like wizards, too much blood...it's more like a standard fantasy setting.

Principe Nero said:
This game has very little LOTR feel and atmosphere, at least for me.

Elfs that use magic like wizards,
Magic like healing and protective shields? Does it even contradict "the lore"? And what magic did wizards (you mean Istari, right? or all Ring wearers?) use in LotR?

Principe Nero said:
too much blood...
The Tolkien books are gory as well, even "The Hobbit". How can a war not have too much blood? And this is a game about war (in the North).

Principe Nero said:
it's more like a standard fantasy setting.
Right, and it was made standard thanks to Tolkien books. :)

zatara

Cornbread78 said:
It's a shame this is another game that will get compeltely lost in the fall shuffle...

It won't get lost in my shuffle, day one for me. The loot whore in me is jonsein for this.

Rekubot

Gez said:
Splitscreen co-op is consoles only (along with regular online co-op), PC version only has online co-op (no splitscreen). We where begging for it in the news thread but no word from Tina besides a 'I will pass it on'
That sucks, but it's not unexpected. Guess I'll get the 360 version.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Magic like healing and protective shields? Does it even contradict "the lore"? And what magic did wizards (you mean Istari, right? or all Ring wearers?) use in LotR?

Yes i thought about Istari, weren't them the only able to use magic?

This elf character is presented as a scholar who has learnt magic from Elrond, but, if i remember well, Talkien's magic is more subtle, not a thing taht can be teach or learned, a force connected to nature.
Trowhing rapid fireball with that frequency is not very LOTR...

Principe Nero said:

This elf character is presented as a scholar who has learnt magic from Elrond, but, if i remember well, Talkien's magic is more subtle, not a thing taht can be teach or learned, a force connected to nature.
Yes, I agree - fireballs don't really fit in.

Still, let's give the game the benefit of the doubt. :) Maybe aside from a few (forced?) deviations the game is all about the LotR atmosphere? I promise I'll post my impressions here as soon as I get the game.

Xena

So it isn't a MMO huh? I might pick it up then, when I can afford it. Thanks for sharing, to be honest I don't even follow LotR games because I think of the MMO... XD

Principe Nero said:

As with most video games, it's just for game sake. Lot of very non LOTR elements in the various games put out for the franchise, especially in stuff like LOTR Online where magic there also seems a bit much compared to the books.

Magic users just would not be as fun in a game if they were like the books with how people are used to magic users in other settings.

Xena said:
So it isn't a MMO huh? I might pick it up then, when I can afford it. Thanks for sharing, to be honest I don't even follow LotR games because I think of the MMO... XD
Lol it's crazy how little people knew about the game just a few days from release. I was out of the loop too... had no idea what kind of game/genre it was till a couple weeks ago.

Part of the reason for this is probably due to the license and us thinking it's just another LotR game or part of the MMO like you said. Another reason could be most of the gaming press focusing on the big blockbusters like COD and Batman while leaving PR scraps for the rest, so unless you actively seek out info on the game you prob won't know much about it.

ironcreed

Banned
I was going to just wait and buy this later, but I am going to go ahead and try and rent it from Gamefly next week. I would like to be able to play it before Skyrim because there is no telling how long it will be before I get around to it after that. Beings games like Uncharted 3 are coming out, I probably stand a decent chance of getting it.

Unity2012

Nice OT, Thank you.

I saw this game at E3 this year and it looked beautiful, played smooth and fun. My question is,

How does it play when soloed? Co-op as an option is great. My only concern is that I feel limited when a game is built with co-op in mind and it does not play the same when one play solo.

I am waiting for some impressions or reviews, this is definitely one of the best seasons for gamers; however a tough one for gamer's wallets.

Yack...another gimped PC version. Hate when they take out splitscreen on the PC. Especially for this type of game it just work so well in person.

ironcreed

Banned
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Nice OT, Heavy. Most insane November ever? I'm thinking yes.

Indeed, it is ridiculously packed this year. I would love to see some of these games get spaced out a bit more. Do publishers not realize that with how jam packed this year is with blockbusters, that potentially great under the radar gems like this could only benefit if given a date with more exposure? Of course 2012 is looking nearly just as packed, but I still think this game would fare much better in about a mid January-early Feb window.

DoubleTap

Skilletor said:
It plays like Champions of Norrath or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

Thanks. My experience with western RPG's are limited to those 2 titles I mentioned. I dabbled with Baldur's Gate on the GBA, so I'm going to assume it's a "hack n slash" but with loot. I'm going to pencil this in on my target sale list for next week.

Decado

Skilletor said:
It plays like Champions of Norrath or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.
Nothing I've seen or read makes that statement seem true to me. Looks like a 3rd person action game and not a top-down hack n' slash. Hell, coop even has to be split screen.

I'd really like to see another major top-down hack n' slash ala BGDA before this gen ends. The few we've seen haven't been very good.

Skilletor

Decado said:
Nothing I've seen or read makes that statement seem true to me. Looks like a 3rd person action game and not a top-down hack n' slash. Hell, coop even has to be split screen.

I'd really like to see another major top-down hack n' slash ala BGDA before this gen ends. The few we've seen haven't been very good.

Everything I've seen and read makes it seem like that. A change in perspective and adding some shooting doesn't change the core gameplay.

ironcreed

Banned
Decado said:

I recently enjoyed Dungeon Siege III. Did not think I would dig it based on the demo, but got it from Gamefly and actually had a great time. Very fun game, with some nice environments.

Aguirre

those screenshots lack a HUD. anyone got a picture of the HUD?

please dont be distracting and clunky, please dont be distracting and clunky

Famassu

Decado said:
The camera angle is different, but otherwise it plays much the same as any of their previous hack 'n slash games.

Aguirre said:
those screenshots lack a HUD. anyone got a picture of the HUD?

please dont be distracting and clunky, please dont be distracting and clunky
This is all I could find... it's a screencap of one of the videos from their Youtube channel:

capturebu4q.jpg

Another one:
capturepu32.jpg

Also saw a spider boss with a red health bar

Akkad

Banned
If only it didn't release on the same day as Uncharted 3, besides having played Dark Souls I'm kinda tired of the fantasy setting and want to kill people with guns.

Skilletor

Famassu said:
The camera angle is different, but otherwise it plays much the same as any of their previous hack 'n slash games.

Yeah. That's one reason I'm looking forward to it. They had some awesome character models and armor in Norrath. I always wanted to zoom in a bit closer while playing.

nyong

Banned
Oh wow. For some reason I thought this was turn based. I've been jonesing for a lootwhore game and love Snowblind's previous stuff. Day 1. Terrible PR, btw...hopefully doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
nyong said:
Oh wow. For some reason I thought this was turn based. I've been jonesing for a lootwhore game and love Snowblind's previous stuff. Day 1. Terrible PR, btw...hopefully doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Aww, GAF is doing some of that PR pro-bono.

Liquid_Bike said:
Does anyone know if there will be controller support in the PC version?
Yes, it has the 'Games for Windows' logo on the box so that means it's required to support the 360 controller out of the box. Every game with the GFW (or GFWL) logo on it I've been able to just turn on my wireless 360 pad and it works right away so it should be fine.

Palmer_v1

Thanks for making an OT for this! I haven't played a really good beat em up loot-whore game since that champions of norrath one. I hope this game delivers!

Looks great! If the loot/skill system is actually decent I'll definitely pick it up. Love the dismemberment!

One thing that is a little iffy for me is the character selection. I personally don't want play as a little dwarf, and I'm not much for playing as the "sexy female" character. I guess I like to pretend the character is me; part of the fantasy. Probably why I almost always choose a human character first in any rpg.

Top Bottom