• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Aaron

Hmmm not very impressed with this game after the first hour. Feels so generic and uninspired, and the dialogue is pretty crap. Not really getting a LOTR vibe at all, and I don't see any gameplay mechanics that differentiate it from an other action RPG. Co-op would improve the experience but at this point I'm not going to get into to that.

Feels like one of those solid games you romp through if you have nothing better to play.
You're not going to enjoy playing a co-op game alone. It's like playing a multiplayer shooter with only bots.

Frostburn

started playing this on coop with my gf and one of my buddies. played for about 2 hours before i had to head to work.

game is way fun and well balanced. glad to add another fun coop rpg to play with the lady and my friend who games with us 90% of the time. :)

Yeah it is a lot of fun in Co-op. On chapter 4 with my girlfriend but we don't have time to play often. I smile every time she asks about playing though, we are a pretty good team considering she doesn't play many games. The AI for our third isn't very good but we still do pretty well with me playing the healer (Fully spec'd Sanctuary).

witness

Got this for christmas, surprise game from my wife, and I've put a few hours into it so far and I'm really enjoying it. This kind of dungeon crawling loot driven game scratches that loot whore itch I have. My wife will be playing this game with me soon enough, so far so good with it. I'm really digging playing as a dwarf. I will be playing some online co op as well, seems like the game would be a perfect for those kind of runs.

Befindlichkeit

Neo Member
I have a local co op question,

Can you join a save which is well into the game and take up the role of one of the other characters, and all the loot/experience they have collected? Or, do you have to start at lvl 1 with saving disabled?

legend166

Okay finally got it working.

Why are there exploding barrels in my Lord of the Rings game?

The conclusion me and another GAFfer came to was that no one actually played this game before it was released. So many things that make no sense.

overcast

Game is damn solid. Well worth the 20 that I got it for. Just been playing splitscreen co-op with my brother. Been looking for a loot game.

Echoplx

Horrible co-op support

In game voice chat can't be disabled and it sucks balls
Two of my friends who are in the same house can't join a match together

Why fuck up online in a game so heavily focused on co-op??

Card Boy

Banned
8.) The patch is delivered to Sony, Microsoft, and Steam for testing

Steam - #8. I'm awaiting a deployment date, but due to the Holidays, I'm not sure when I'll get one. I'm hoping that since they're in the office tomorrow, they'll have some info for me then. :)

So whats the status on this PC patch? I have seen Team Meat get a patch approved and uploaded in under an hour. Not to mention other Indie developers.

I got this game for my girlfriend and I was wondering if there's a way to hack in local co-op (PC, obviously)?

Seems like a huge oversight and rather than play it separately I'd like us to play it together. Cheers!

won't happen soon (ever) sadly :(

I keep playing the game and just want to say it's really great. There are a lot of moments where the details the dev put into are really awesome. The best so far is the snow glittering all over the place and laying on top of my shield just to fall off after a few seconds. That is some single snowflakes! It does look so amazing in 3D.

Great game all in all. I especially like the eagles. So beautifully shaped and well done. They really do look kinda real in 3D.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got this for $15 over at Green Man Gaming. I played for about 30 minutes, and think it's a lot of fun! Enjoyable action, but damn if it doesn't feel extremely unpolished. Doesn't look like this had much of a budget at all.

Zimbardo

its an alright game. combat is a little too simplistic for my tastes tho. and the skill tree special moves aren't all that special either.

decent graphics, decent production values, and a decent story tho, imo. just wish the combat was better.

Befindlichkeit

Neo Member
I don't know if anyone else has posted this but if you're having trouble with your save, like not being able to progress or you're getting stuck on the loading screen the I have a pro tip!

Pro tip:

1) Join an online game which is currently at an earlier stage than the one you are stuck at.

2) Play through the game until you pass the stage you were stuck at and have progressed to a later save point or chapter.

3) You should be able to quit the game (at a safe point) and carry on playing through the story at your leisure like nothing happened!

PS, you may also want to save in a new slot when you begin stage 1 but I don't think this is essential.

Hope this helps someone as I've been stuck twice now and I've managed to rescue my save by doing this.

Card Boy

Banned
Just had a play with the patch, the FPS slowdown i think is worse or just as bad as before. The shit is 60fps one memoment and goes down to single digit FPS.

Pretty bad they are waiting for AMD to release a driver update to fix this issue, it just screams of bad development. AMD haven't released a driver update or hotfix for the past 3 driver updates since this game got released.

Echoplx

Just saw this posted by SnowblindTina on the offical forums, what the fuck is wrong with these people

(in regards to disabling in game voice chat)
I don't want to lead you on.

This is not an option that is implemented in the patch, nor is it intended to be implemented in future patches.

Card Boy

Banned
Just saw this posted by SnowblindTina on the offical forums, what the fuck is wrong with these people

(in regards to disabling in game voice chat)

2 days late but wow!

Fuck up after fuck up with the PC release.

1) No voice chat (despite the consoles having it)
2) No local co-op (despite the consoles having it)
3) Stuttering like crazy, FPS going down to single digits on 5800 series and over ATI cards. Snowblind gave up and passed the buck to ATI when clearly its their problem.
4) Gamebreaking Bugs and glitches
5) Game release delay of up to 2 weeks for UK/Aussie users
6) Price gouging Aussies/New Zelanders of $73.99

I know the last 2 are Warner Bros fault, but yeah last time i support Snowblind on the first 4 points. I was one of the few in the news thread that was hyping this shit up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
2 days late but wow!

Fuck up after fuck up with the PC release.

1) No voice chat (despite the consoles having it)
2) No local co-op (despite the consoles having it)
3) Stuttering like crazy, FPS going down to single digits on 5800 series and over ATI cards. Snowblind gave up and passed the buck to ATI when clearly its their problem.
4) Gamebreaking Bugs and glitches
5) Game release delay of up to 2 weeks for UK/Aussie users
6) Price gouging Aussies/New Zelanders of $73.99

I know the last 2 are Warner Bros fault, but yeah last time i support Snowblind on the first 4 points. I was one of the few in the news thread that was hyping this shit up.

Yea this game is a colossal failure in every regard. Last Snowblind game I'll ever buy.

Twinduct

Gah, really enjoy the game. But just reached some terrible bug. PC version btw.
Whenever I load my savegame, I get a CTD.

I just got to Rivendell and saw that I didn't clear a mission for a quest at the downbarrows, so decided to travel to it. But then the game crashed (before even loading the level, basically it just reaches the loading 'view' then it CTDs).

Reading online the only way around this is A) Start over or B) Join a MP game to overwrite the save. Sadly option B didnt work for me.

So gonna go with Option A :<

Yea this game is a colossal failure in every regard. Last Snowblind game I'll ever buy.

I was under the impression Warner hit them with a bunch of layoffs, so that may not be a problem.

I've been pretty irritated with Snowblind over how long this patch took to get implemented and made available, but I still feel like this is ultimately Warner's fault. It's like this was a game they were grooming to be a big release, then for whatever reasons development took a lot longer than they wanted or wasn't moving in the direction they wanted, and last year the project suddenly became something they just wanted over with and out the door regardless of testing in order to try and make any money from it at all before Skyrim came out. The only marketing I was actually aware of for this game was a loss-leader promotion at Kmart if you bought Batman, which certainly worked on me.

I will say though that the PS3 version seems to be working fine, finally started playing it again with a friend after the patch after not touching it for 2 months. I had forgotten how nice the game really looks and performs, and it still certainly scratches that co-op loot masher itch, and considering I couldn't care less about the plot or the license I've been surprised at how much I've actually enjoyed the overall cutscenes and presentation. Then again, maybe it's because I don't care about them.

I feel the pain of the PC players, but it's not as if this game is unique in treating PC gamers as red headed stepchildren. For consoles though, after the patch I feel I can finally recommend this again.

glaurung

*reads comments about the PC version

Insane, that's just stupid. I was contemplating getting the PC version on the cheap from GMG, but now I will wait and get a PS3 copy instead. Once it's been discounted enough.

Card Boy

Banned
So the 12.1 AMD drivers came out today, yeah it did FUCK ALL for the games performance. Still getting that stuttering and down to single digit FPS.

I thought Snowblind passed the buck over to AMD?

canedaddy

I was having a great time with this game, playing couch co-op with my brother on PS3, until we ran into the game-ending Mirkwood glitch last night. From what I can tell, the only solution is to pair up with someone online who hasn't played through the previous section, but evidently most folks online now are in the same boat.

Does anyone know whether there are there any plans to patch the Mirkwood glitch? From looking at other forums it sounds like a "no" but I thought I'd ask the experts here (including the Snowblind rep) before I get rid of the game.

Ok, so I picked this up, me and my buddy were keen to rock some co-op.We both have ps3's so we got this so that we can play it at my house and his house.But to my surprise I tried to put the save game from my house on to a USB to take it to his house to carry on playing only to find out the save game is locked?????

Why?why would they lock the save game to a co-op based game that encourages you to play with your buddies, if Tina from Snowblind is reading this ,please will you release a patch that unlocks the save game?Pleeaasseeeeeeee

Otherwise Tina its a great game, and I can see a lot of passion went into it.Really enjoying it,its one of those games you go into with very average expectations and you are pleasantly surprised to find yourself and your friend sitting on the couch and its 2 in the morning and you have work in 4 hours and you just don't want to stop playing.

Card Boy

Banned
Currently forcing myself to play this despite there be no fix for the single digit FPS stuttering that occurs in dark areas (still no fix 4 months after release). Playing it as i wanna wipe this off my hard-drive ASAP.

I keep checking a walkthough to see how far i am till the end, any game that makes me do that is pretty bad. When i say bad i am not talking about War in the Norths gameplay.

Obvious console port is obvious.

Decado

So what is the verdict on the console versions? I'm thinking of buying this for local co-op. Have any patches been released that address some of the issues ppl had with the game? Reviews were a bit mixed.

For console co-op, yeah, this is a really fun loot'n'scoot masher with a little extra flavor and quests thrown in. Vertical splitscreen local works great, online co-op I haven't noticed lag or anything, but you'll be looking up a fucking FAQ or the official forums for directions on who to invite first and who has to host the game and whatnot, because it's not very clear in either the manual or the game. Not many performance issues, patch seemed to fix most of what was screwy. Each character sees different secrets, so there's an excuse to dig around each area even though the game is essentially linear.

I'd definitely recommend pretending the PC port didn't exist, and it loses it's charm solo, not least of all because the partner AI is troublesome.

Gueras

Banned
i feel so hard to kill the first boss, the big orc, i was playing with my gfriend in local coop and dammm was really hard to kill that guy...

Decado

For console co-op, yeah, this is a really fun loot'n'scoot masher with a little extra flavor and quests thrown in. Vertical splitscreen local works great, online co-op I haven't noticed lag or anything, but you'll be looking up a fucking FAQ or the official forums for directions on who to invite first and who has to host the game and whatnot, because it's not very clear in either the manual or the game. Not many performance issues, patch seemed to fix most of what was screwy. Each character sees different secrets, so there's an excuse to dig around each area even though the game is essentially linear.

I'd definitely recommend pretending the PC port didn't exist, and it loses it's charm solo, not least of all because the partner AI is troublesome.
Cool. Thx. I won't be playing it online, so I won't have to worry about those details. I assume local co-op is all it is good for (not so good as a single player game). PS3 version good, or should I go for the 360 version?

Ken

i feel so hard to kill the first boss, the big orc, i was playing with my gfriend in local coop and dammm was really hard to kill that guy...

Roll a lot and don't get too greedy with hits.

I had no problems killing it in local coop with my friend.

Cool. Thx. I won't be playing it online, so I won't have to worry about those details. I assume local co-op is all it is good for (not so good as a single player game). PS3 version good, or should I go for the 360 version?

I think both versions are pretty close. There aren't a lot of performance issues other than those that were patched, this is one of those where you pick your system based on what controller you prefer.

ced

Finally got around to playing this in coop online, it's pretty great.

Local coop was ruined by the vertical split screen, you just can't see anything going on, I still have no idea why there isn't an option to split it horizontally.

ced

Community forum sucks, it's like taking to yourself, anyways.

I have to take back all the nice things I said about this game after last nights COOP session. On the PS3 version apparently there is still a glitch in Mirkwood where you cannot progress past it. It happened to us, I googled it and it's all over the forums, with no word from Snowblind. So after that we played one of the challenge maps, spent at least an hour barely surviving to finally bring down the last boss wave. Nothing, nada, the wave never completes. Searched for any guys we might have missed that were stuck in walls etc, nothing.

So pretty much wasted an hour on that challenge map and for a bonus cannot continue the main quest, awesome.

What you mention was supposed to be one of the things fixed in the first (only) patch afaik, but I'm not surprised some people are still having issues. Even better, WB gutted Snowblind at the same time they tossed this title to the wolves last November. We're lucky we got a patch at all, and I wouldn't expect any more updates.

ced

What you mention was supposed to be one of the things fixed in the first (only) patch afaik, but I'm not surprised some people are still having issues. Even better, WB gutted Snowblind at the same time they tossed this title to the wolves last November. We're lucky we got a patch at all, and I wouldn't expect any more updates.

Yeah it's not fixed, people having the issue all over forums. We managed to proceed past it by changing who hosts and doing the last section again.

Now we can't progress past the siege on the dwarven hall, quest doesn't update, no one to talk to and no map update, this is pretty unacceptable.

lttp: Might be the best hack and slash game i've ever played, despite slow downs (ati user).
Playing co-op with two friends as dual wielding ranger with backstab. We die from time to time, but it's genuinely fun. This might be the first hack and slasher were the fighting is more interesting than the loot. Graphics and sound are nice, the griffin is bad ass.

Will probably do another playthrough on heroic when this is over.

params7

Banned
I'm gonna get it this weekend. Wanted to buy it day 1 but it released right before BF3 :|

can you still find people online to co-op with? is there matchmaking?

krae_man

How long until I can craft jewelry or meet someone who can craft jewelry for me? I'm getting "You have no room to pick up that herb" messages and that area of my inventory is filled with items that look like they can be crafted into stat boosting jewelry but I can't seem to do it myself and can't find anyone in Bree who can do it.

I just entered the Citadel BTW.

krae_man

God dammit, I just encountered a game breaking glitch at chapter 5 part 5. The game won't give me the next quest.

Apparently the only solutions are play online with someone who is right before that point and replay just that small portion and get to the first save point after then continue on single player. or B start the game all over again.

Anyone happen to have a save file at the beginning of Chapter 5 on PS3 that could help me out?

Top Bottom