• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

oneHeero

This makes me concerned for the skillset of gamers these days.

Boss fights should be challenging people.

That fight was challenging for me in coop. Was so much fun though. Trying to kills the minions, than kiting the enemies in order to revive the AI and than die and have them run to me and revive me lol.

Aaron

On a heroic run with a friend and the bosses die really quick now. It's the hordes that give us trouble.

Well,
As a representative of Snowblind, and employee at the Developer, I can understand your frustration. Our goal...the goal of every programmer, artist, sound designer, producer, and engineer... the goal of the Studio is to create quality products and have people enjoy them.

Unfortunately, bugs do happen, and though I can't excuse them, I can say that we want to do everything in our power to resolve them... cleanly, correctly, without causing new issues, and as quickly as possible while following the first three rules. :)

I know you said "Before someone makes the request", but I'll make it anyways.

We have had reported, have isolated, and are on our way to patching five found issues. Save Desyncing (split screen co-op only... one "save" gets behind the other), NG+ Control issues (Crit Strike and rolling only in New Game Plus and only to a small subset of players), an issue in Carn-Dum 8-4 (if you quit mid-level between two gates, both gates are closed when you restart the game), Quest Disappearing (if you quit mid-quest), and PC Stuttering, primarily on specific ATI cards. IF your issue happens to fall outside of these five, I would really like you to post (or pm me), because we want to resolve any reported for any and all players experiencing them in the upcoming patch.

I can't go back in time and fix the issue you encountered, but I can do my very best to resolve it for you and ensure it doesn't happen for others in the future. In addition, we do have workarounds for most of the issues I listed, so if you tell me what's troubling you, I can help you get past it in the interim?
All my best
-Snowblind Tina.

Oh, and if your issue falls in one of the above, rest assured... a patch is on the way! :D

Has there been any update on the stuttering patch for PC since you made this post? I have been waiting to finish playing the game (and start NG+), but the stuttering is just maddening. I'm on the final chapter and it slows to a crawl at times, whereas I normally run smooth 60 FPS.

lunchtoast

EDIT: Also, any ETA on patch?

From the official forum-

Posted 12-2-

We are currently working on a patch to resolve all five core known issues (Stickied threads in the forum).

At this point, we do not have a date we can share, because we still have internal testing to do, and once we have internal and WBGames signoff, we'll also need to send it to Sony, Microsoft, OnLive and Steam for their final testing, validation, and Deployment.

As soon as I have a date for any (or all) systems, I'll be posting it in the forum.

Befindlichkeit

Neo Member
This game is great fun, the eagles are bad ass and the slow mo limb severing is truly bang tidy! I've not ran into any bugs yet (ps3) and I'm into chapter 3 so all is well.

If anyone is still playing this send me a message and I'll give you a wee game at some point :D

Oh and the only negative is that the characters you play (apart from maybe the dwarf, but he has a dodgy accent) are a bit dull and lifeless.

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
Any ETA on the PC stuttering patch? The game has literally being sitting there ever since our delayed November 17 launch and has not being played.

I am very disapointed indeed.

The PC Stuttering issue has been reproduced, and it is an ATI issue specifically. We are in nearly daily talks with their team and they are working with us on a fix. It may actually require an ATI driver update, but as I get more info, I'll be sharing it.

SnowblindTina

Here are the patch updates I can communicate:

1) We have a "global" (all skus) Patch in progress. All stickied (5 core issues) have been reported, isolated, reproduced, and we believe fixed. We've completed our internal testing, and our next step is a round of external testing for validation and then it'll be off to Sony/Microsoft/Steam for validation, integration, and deployment. We aren't able to give an explicit deployment date but this is where we are from a progress standpoint. I'm hoping we'll exit external QA soon, and we can be off to the first parties, but I don't want to give a date until it's confirmed and you can bank on it.

2) The ATI PC Stuttering patch is an unrelated issue, and only appears to occur with ATI cards. We've repro'd it with ATI, and they are working on it in tandem with our team. At this juncture, it is unclear if the solve will be a patch on our end, a driver update on theirs, or both, but as soon as we get our next round of feedback from the fine folks at ATI who are working on this, I'll try to update the thread.

3) No patch will be held for another's sake. The current plan is that whichever patch is done and approved by first parties first, will head on out the door. Whether that be the ATI fix, or the global fix, or a particular Sku fix, we want to help get a resolution out to people as soon as possible.

We are still answering questions in the forums daily, and hopefully we'll get the stamp of approval for deployment SOOOOOON. (Believe me, I'm just as eager as you are!)

For those experiencing a tougher time with some of the Boss Battles (Tharzog/Nordinbad Siege Trolls) we now have helper tip videos up for both of those in our YouTube Channel, if you want to give them a gander...
http://www.youtube.com/user/WBLordoftheRings?blend=7&ob=5

Ask me any additional questions... I'll do my best to assist.

I did not read the whole thread here but since you asked for questions: I'd like to know if splitscreen coop is planned through a patch for PC. Would be ace. :)

I've completed the Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games several times. Dark Alliance on hard borderlines sadism at times (orb of the dead), but the news of this game being hard greatly satisfies me. I'm actually glad that the mindless, potionchugging lootdrones are getting their ass kicked. Means the game will probably be fun, and hard rpg's are always welcome.
Totally getting this to play coop PC.

I did not read the whole thread here but since you asked for questions: I'd like to know if splitscreen coop is planned through a patch for PC. Would be ace. :)
It's been asked (by me and others). SnowblindTina said there are no plans for it, which extremely depressing.

SnowblindTina

I wouldn't want to lead you on...

No new features are planned in the upcoming Patches. Only Fixes for bugs.

this makes me kinda sad :(

btw, tina. Would be good, if there is some kind of box around text. The text is distracting a lot when playing in 3d ;)

Card Boy

Banned
Here are the patch updates I can communicate:

1) We have a "global" (all skus) Patch in progress. All stickied (5 core issues) have been reported, isolated, reproduced, and we believe fixed. We've completed our internal testing, and our next step is a round of external testing for validation and then it'll be off to Sony/Microsoft/Steam for validation, integration, and deployment. We aren't able to give an explicit deployment date but this is where we are from a progress standpoint. I'm hoping we'll exit external QA soon, and we can be off to the first parties, but I don't want to give a date until it's confirmed and you can bank on it.

2) The ATI PC Stuttering patch is an unrelated issue, and only appears to occur with ATI cards. We've repro'd it with ATI, and they are working on it in tandem with our team. At this juncture, it is unclear if the solve will be a patch on our end, a driver update on theirs, or both, but as soon as we get our next round of feedback from the fine folks at ATI who are working on this, I'll try to update the thread.

3) No patch will be held for another's sake. The current plan is that whichever patch is done and approved by first parties first, will head on out the door. Whether that be the ATI fix, or the global fix, or a particular Sku fix, we want to help get a resolution out to people as soon as possible.

We are still answering questions in the forums daily, and hopefully we'll get the stamp of approval for deployment SOOOOOON. (Believe me, I'm just as eager as you are!)

For those experiencing a tougher time with some of the Boss Battles (Tharzog/Nordinbad Siege Trolls) we now have helper tip videos up for both of those in our YouTube Channel, if you want to give them a gander...
http://www.youtube.com/user/WBLordoftheRings?blend=7&ob=5

Ask me any additional questions... I'll do my best to assist.

So Tina PC patch when? Days away? Weeks away? Months away? Never?

Would make an excellent Christmas present if i can finally play this game. Or do i have to wait until next year?

Being waiting for over a month now.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
Got this the other day and sold it already, it really disappointed me. Mostly because it's completely unfriendly to non gamers, with the constant need for camera refinement on the right thumbstick.
It's easy for seasoned vets like us but the actions needed to see the action and engage in it are incredibly complex. It's totally unnecessary in a genre so simple. An automatic follow option on the camera would have alleviated this and made it much easier to focus on the actual combat options at your disposal. As it is, it just completely overwhelmed everyone I tried to play with.

Lord Phol

Got this the other day and sold it already, it really disappointed me. Mostly because it's completely unfriendly to non gamers, with the constant need for camera refinement on the right thumbstick.
It's easy for seasoned vets like us but the actions needed to see the action and engage in it are incredibly complex. It's totally unnecessary in a genre so simple. An automatic follow option on the camera would have alleviated this and made it much easier to focus on the actual combat options at your disposal. As it is, it just completely overwhelmed everyone I tried to play with.

I played the game with my casual girl friend, we got through the whole game just fine.

ascii42

Just beat the game. I played as Andriel the whole time. For a while, I wasn't really sold on her, but as I unlocked more abilities, she really grew on me.

Echoplx

You sold it because you couldn't play with dumb people?

That's really...strange.

I've played it split screen with some pretty inexperienced people and your issues never came up at all.

Frostburn

I wanted to thank SnowblindTina for working with me to troubleshoot my COOP issue on the XBox 360. She suggested a solution after I sent a video to her of what was happening and my girlfriend and I have been playing it since and having a blast together. As a thanks she sent me this (Two shirts and two bags, for me and the lady)

WFA1c.jpg

Sorry for the low quality (Not a lot of light in that room)

fionel

My friend and I were playing on Steam and progressed from Chapter 3 part 2 to Chapter 4 part 1. After we defeated the boss in Ch 3 part 3, my game disabled saving and I had to go back and kill the same boss again, albeit this time I cannot proceed when the game prompts me to hit [E] to proceed. I retried this a number of times and the glitch just reoccurs and prevents me from progressing.

I saw at least 2 posts in the official forum from folks with the same problem and they did not even get a reply. Is this issue being addressed in the upcoming patch? and is there a workaround for this?

SnowblindTina

An Update:

The pathway for a patch is as follows:

1.) Issues are reported by the public.
2.) Issues are reproduced by the team.
3.) Issues are isolated for fixing.
4.) A resolution is attempted and tested by the engineers.
5.) When the resolution is verified, it is implemented into the patch pipeline.
6.) The patch is tested by internal QA
7.) The patch is tested by external QA
8.) The patch is delivered to Sony, Microsoft, and Steam for testing
9.) Sony, Microsoft and Steam validate the fixes.
10.) Sony, Microsoft and Steam integrate and deploy the patch.

Right now, we are in step 9 with PS3/360. We are in step 8 with Steam/OnLive (with everything except the ATI Stuttering patch, which is still out with ATI)

I've been told that I'm getting a Deployment date tomorrow, that could be as early as tomorrow afternoon for 360.

We're sending out each sku as it gets cleared, so it may mean that 360 users get it first, with PS3 or Steam trailing by a day, but we want to start solving the issues for as many users as possible as quickly as possible, without stalling out a patch to wait for the others.

Hope this helps
-Snowblind Tina

SnowblindTina

My friend and I were playing on Steam and progressed from Chapter 3 part 2 to Chapter 4 part 1. After we defeated the boss in Ch 3 part 3, my game disabled saving and I had to go back and kill the same boss again, albeit this time I cannot proceed when the game prompts me to hit [E] to proceed. I retried this a number of times and the glitch just reoccurs and prevents me from progressing.

I saw at least 2 posts in the official forum from folks with the same problem and they did not even get a reply. Is this issue being addressed in the upcoming patch? and is there a workaround for this?

It sounds like this is when you save Radagast in Mirkwood?

If so, yes, this *should* be fixed in the patch, however I'll be closely monitoring the rollout of the deployment to see if anything didn't resolve it for all users.

SnowblindTina

I wanted to thank SnowblindTina for working with me to troubleshoot my COOP issue on the XBox 360. She suggested a solution after I sent a video to her of what was happening and my girlfriend and I have been playing it since and having a blast together. As a thanks she sent me this (Two shirts and two bags, for me and the lady)

WFA1c.jpg

Sorry for the low quality (Not a lot of light in that room)

I'm glad to help however I can. Your fix was easy, and I'm glad you and your lady are having fun!

Thanks for the update Tina. I've been missing this game a lot but have been waiting on the patch to get back into it. Sounds like it'll be sooner than later.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
You sold it because you couldn't play with dumb people?
Not entirely, my dad is old not dumb. But yeah, I've overemphasized the not-casual-friendly thing possibly, as pretty much everything different from Dark Alliance I'm not fond of. I can see there's a lot of love gone in, but it's not for me. Hopefully the 360 will get Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 to satisfy my co-op looting needs.

I've had a bad feeling since the bugs started being reported that, since the issues directly affected save states, old saves would essentially be corrupted after the patch. Were you all able to load old saves safely, or is it safe to assume that even if they load, certain variables may make old saves unstable?

Starting over would be a real bummer, so we basically just stopped playing 6 weeks ago.

Hopefully I can at least recommend the game to a new player after this though.

fionel

It sounds like this is when you save Radagast in Mirkwood?

If so, yes, this *should* be fixed in the patch, however I'll be closely monitoring the rollout of the deployment to see if anything didn't resolve it for all users.

Actually I was referring to
Bargrisar
. My game is stuck there after defeating him, unable to "Proceed" as prompted.

Hopefully this is fixed in the patch. Thanks for the reply!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just started playing this on PC today after a co-worker insisted it was a great game.

I was having a total blast with it until I hit the barrow downs. As soon as I went into the first tomb and 5-6 of those glow-y skeleton guys showed up, my frame rate dropped to like 1fps when looking at them. Up to that point I was getting a solid 60.

ATI user here. Ugh.

So, after reading this thread, it seems like even with the new patch coming out this won't be addressed? It's entirely up to ATI to fix it?

Befindlichkeit

Neo Member
In the middle of a fucking battle and that fucking patch comes up and quits me ARGH!

eta. And it seems to have glitched my game fucking super!

eta2. Mini crisis over whoop, installed patch and glitch is gone WHOOPA!

lunchtoast

Put the disc just now and got the update for 1.02, don't see any info on it online other than here.

I had the no critical glitch before and it's fixed!

This is for PS3.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Can't believe this was already $12 and some change. Picked it up and looking forward to getting around to it once the patch hits.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Steam - #8. I'm awaiting a deployment date, but due to the Holidays, I'm not sure when I'll get one. I'm hoping that since they're in the office tomorrow, they'll have some info for me then. :)

Has the bug where all ATI cards experience game-crippling slowdowns been addressed in the upcoming patch?

leng jai

Hmmm not very impressed with this game after the first hour. Feels so generic and uninspired, and the dialogue is pretty crap. Not really getting a LOTR vibe at all, and I don't see any gameplay mechanics that differentiate it from an other action RPG. Co-op would improve the experience but at this point I'm not going to get into to that.

Feels like one of those solid games you romp through if you have nothing better to play.

overcast

I may get this for my brother for Christmas. He enjoys loot games. 60 sounds like it's too steep for this game though..

Update: Whoa. I got it for 20 at Walmart. It was probably a mistake though. Me and my brother love Co-op loot games. So this should be great. Hopefully the bugs don't break it though.

Jeramii

Banned
started playing this on coop with my gf and one of my buddies. played for about 2 hours before i had to head to work.

game is way fun and well balanced. glad to add another fun coop rpg to play with the lady and my friend who games with us 90% of the time. :)

Top Bottom