• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles: mass shooting at Jamaican restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A motive for the shooting remained unclear"

Well, they first group left, came back, and opened fire. Another group returned fire. Sounds like some good old fashioned gang war level shit to me. RIP to the victims, either way.

Also, violent crime is up by 15% on the year? Sweet jesus.

Robiin

Sounds gang- or organized crime related if I interpret the article correctly. Still, fucking sucks. Rest in peace

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Three men left and returned with firearms and began shooting at another group at the restaurant. Others at the restaurant also opened fire, and some diners were caught in the crossfire. Preciado said.

Damn.

RPGCrazied

I really hope Hillary does the stuff she said she will about gun reform. Its way past due. Fuck the NRA.

And RIP to the victims as usual, just another Tuesday in America.

This is the new normal for California. Violence happens when you prematurely release so many prisoners. Thanks Jerry Brown.

RIP to the victims.

I really hope Hillary does the stuff she said she will about gun reform. Its way past due. Fuck the NRA.

And RIP to the victims as usual, just another Tuesday in America.

As long as Congress either has a Republican majority or it's close and Democrats don't have an overwhelming majority nothing is going to happen on that front.

Kolx

These lives are on every idiot who still think guns laws that exist now are ok and doesn't need any changes.

These lives are on every idiot who still think guns laws that exist now are ok and doesn't need any changes.

Actually, I would say these lives are on the hands of the chucklefucks that thought it was perfectly okay to open fire in a crowded restaurant because they had some problem with another table of people.

Presumably these were bad guys shooting each other. Bad guys don't have much respect for gun laws, I'd wager. And a handgun ban just ain't happening. So, any reasonable legislation that has a chance at becoming law anytime soon isn't going to affect gangland scenarios like this.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Presumably these were bad guys shooting each other. Bad guys don't have much respect for gun laws, I'd wager. And a handgun ban just ain't happening. So, any reasonable legislation that has a chance at becoming law anytime soon isn't going to affect gangland scenarios like this.
I was gonna say. Gun laws are going to be more effective at preventing people with sketchy histories or mental illness from walking into Walmart and buying the gun they use to shoot up a mall or something. Gang members are going to have guns regardless.

Bleepey

I want the state to know of every gun sold and to whom. You sell your gun go a criminal and it's used in a crime then hopefully you get charged. Straw purchases will fall and fewer bad guys will get guns.

Khoryos

"A motive for the shooting remained unclear"

Well, they first group left, came back, and opened fire. Another group returned fire. Sounds like some good old fashioned gang war level shit to me. RIP to the victims, either way.

Also, violent crime is up by 15% on the year? Sweet jesus.

Sounds gang- or organized crime related if I interpret the article correctly. Still, fucking sucks. Rest in piece

sounds like gang conflict, or just a beef that escalated

This is 15 min from where I live and about 5 min from where I normally work. :( sounds like gang violence

Yeah, my first thought was yardies.

I was gonna say. Gun laws are going to be more effective at preventing people with sketchy histories or mental illness from walking into Walmart and buying the gun they use to shoot up a mall or something. Gang members are going to have guns regardless.

Keep in mind, the majority of illegal guns start out as legal guns.

JP_

Banned

Depends on the regulation, but if they have to buy guns on the black market, it'll increase their costs, which is proven to have an effect.

So why is it that every other country that has strict gun regulations doesn't seem to have a problem with "bad guys" with illegally obtained weapons wreaking havoc?

The Beard

I want the state to know of every gun sold and to whom. You sell your gun go a criminal and it's used in a crime then hopefully you get charged. Straw purchases will fall and fewer bad guys will get guns.

That'd be a good thing. It wouldn't have prevented this shooting, but still.

Three men left the restaurant and returned with firearms and began shooting at another group. Others at the restaurant also opened fire, and some diners were caught in the crossfire, Preciado said.

What the hell is going on in the US?!

So why is it that every other country that has strict gun regulations doesn't seem to have a problem with "bad guys" with illegally obtained weapons wreaking havoc?
US gang and gun culture, I guess? Not sure what you're getting at. Having strict gun laws in IL for example, didn't stop the south side from continuing to be the wild west. Maybe the stats show violence down, I don't know, but it seems by and large the gun-loving gangsters still got the tools of their trade just fine. No reason the same wouldn't be the case in LA.

To be clear, I agree with tighter regulation in general, but I'm also mindful of the fact that 'hardcore' regulation is unlikely at a federal level anytime soon, and for the most part...criminals will still want, and get, guns one way or the other.

US gang and gun culture, I guess? Not sure what you're getting at. Having strict gun laws in IL for example, didn't stop the south side from continuing to be the wild west. Maybe the stats show violence down, I don't know, but it seems by and large the gun-loving gangsters still got the tools of their trade just fine. No reason the same wouldn't be the case in LA.

To be clear, I agree with tighter regulation in general, but I'm also mindful of the fact that 'hardcore' regulation is unlikely at a federal level anytime soon, and for the most part...criminals will still want, and get, guns one way or the other.

You don't think gangs and organized crime exist in countries like Japan and Great Britain? Regulating one state and expecting it to have an effect is ludicrous. We need strict, across the board, nationwide regulations if you really want to curb the supply/demand issue that allows people to get guns (legally or illegally) so easily.

This is the new normal for California. Violence happens when you prematurely release so many prisoners. Thanks Jerry Brown.

RIP to the victims.

How many violent prisoners were released as a result of Prop 47? Where did you read that Brown wanted to release violent felons? Breitbart?

Haint

Because they didn't have 300+ million guns floating through their populous when they implemented any bans or restrictions.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member

RIP to the victims.

Wait, this is Jerry Brown's fault? Citation?

How many violent prisoners were released as a result of Prop 47? Where did you read that Brown wanted to release violent felons? Breitbart?

If that person is referencing Prop 47.

No one is automatically released from state prison because of Proposition 47. The new law allows people who are already serving a felony conviction for these crimes to petition the court for resentencing. In addition, Proposition 47 allows a person who has completed his/her sentence for the specified offenses to file an application before the trial court to have the felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor.

Not all offenders can petition the court, even if their convictions were felonies that are now misdemeanors. Offenders cannot petition a court if they have previous convictions for: sex offenses including rape, child molestation and other sex offenses; murder, attempted murder and solicitation to commit murder; assault with a machine gun on an officer; or any serious or violent crime punishable by a life sentence or death are not eligible to petition a court for resentencing under Proposition 47. Any inmate required to register as a sex offender is not eligible.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/news/prop47.html

I really wanna see what the effect of the ammunition background check bill that is probably going to pass in November is going to be when it comes to stuff like this. I think it would depend on where gangs or criminals get their supply of ammunition.

Not already having 300 million guns in country, 10 million north of their border and 15 million guns south of their border probably helped their situations out immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom