• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
it is both, and that is precisely why i love it.

i cant click my mind around it. everything sounds cool until the donuts are mentioned..

eh, maybe ill give it a shot in the future

Anyone try that Unami Burger? I keep forgetting to check it out. Worth it?

Never had a donut for a bun. Just seems...odd.

my friends talk about it, but it seems to be mixed reception between them.

My friends always go on about 50//50 burgers. Half ground beef half ground bacon.
20091215-5050-intro.jpg

I must go to this place.

and Nintendoll that is insane.
Got food poisoning at Slater's last time.
Apparently, when they put the Bacon inside the beef, it wasn't cooked enough.

IMO, ask them to cook it well done.
Besides that, its a fantastic fusion.

Good god, how do you even attempt eating that? It's like happiness incarnate.

My favorite ridiculous burger is 'the patrolman' from the Burger Boss truck:
UP7ZX.png

bacon, blue cheese, grilled onions, and an apple-cranberry reduction on a grilled donut.
You eat it like you're making love to a woman.
You attack it from all angles.

Parallax

i could go for a burger with carmelized onions, sautéed mushrooms and bacon right now. but i should also be sleeping.

Demy

So March GAF LA Pub Crawl? Any night works though weekends would be best.

where are some good thai food spots? ive been craving some since ive been back from oregon.

Sorry for response delay. Torung on Hollywood blvd just East of the 101 has appeased my drunken self after dancy nights. Wish I could remember the one that had karaoke. Nothing like old Thai ladies singing A Whole New World with you.

What it is.

Any club/bar recommendations?

Sharkeez in Hermosa beach is pretty poppin' almost every night.

Depends on where you want to be. My fav spot is The Hip Kitty...full bar, live band (jazz), and a dance floor....for me it hits all the spots, but it's way out in Claremont in the SGV. I haven't done the *club* scene for many years so I'm not that clear on things, but the ones I do know that are okay are Bar 107 and Seven Bar...

I know for a fact that The Granada is a great place to go but uh...it's salsa dancing and I don't know how to salsa :(

Daft_Cat

I'm moving to L.A in the fall..I'm a Canadian graduate student starting the MFA film production program at USC. Being international makes it hard to arrange living, since I can't exactly go apartment hunting.

My question is: where to live? USC offers limited graduate housing, and in all honesty, its not all that appealing looking(if anyone's heard or experienced otherwise, let me know). I'll wait to see where they place me..but right now I'm looking at some of the other people who provide off-campus housing in the vicinity of USC (like www.stuho.com). A lot of them seem to offer noticeably better living arrangements in the same area for the same price..so I'm leaning towards that. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? I'm looking for a studio apartment..one bedroom if I have to, preferably in the range of around 8-1200/mo.

Also, what's the USC neighbourhood like? I hear it's near some bad areas, but the campus and its surroundings are really safe. What about the atmosphere? Does it feel like L.A? Cause that L.A atmosphere is pretty important to me. Night life requirements don't matter all that much, since I'll be busy. Still, wouldn't mind an area with some decent pubs, bars, resturaunts..etc.

Would anyone recommend commuting? Finding somewhere cheaper doesn't matter..but I'd consider it if it meant a more vibrant neighbourhood with more to do. My only requirements is that I'm near a subway line so I can take advantage of that new light rail line opening up right around campus sometime in the near future.

I've got a car here in Toronto, and my parents have offered to let me take it but I'm leaning towards refusing the offer since I don't mind the subway, and I hear LA driving is awful. Again, feel free to let me know if I'm wrong!

Parallax

Also, what's the USC neighbourhood like? I hear it's near some bad areas, but the campus and its surroundings are really safe. What about the atmosphere? Does it feel like L.A? Cause that L.A atmosphere is pretty important to me. Night life requirements don't matter all that much, since I'll be busy. Still, wouldn't mind an area with some decent pubs, bars, resturaunts..etc.

Would anyone recommend commuting? If so, my only requirements is that I'm near a subway line so I can take advantage of that new light rail line opening up right around campus sometime in the near future.

usc is surrounded by an area that seems to have gotten worse as theyve expanded.(which shouldnt make sense) as long as you make mental notes as to where the cross between good and bad areas are, you'll be more than fine.

as for public transit. if you can help it, try to make the majority of your travels take place on the trains. the bus system is quite inconsistent in this city at certain and its fucking annoying to have to sometimes wait an hour for a bus.

Daft_Cat

usc is surrounded by an area that seems to have gotten worse as theyve expanded.(which shouldnt make sense) as long as you make mental notes as to where the cross between good and bad areas are, you'll be more than fine.

as for public transit. if you can help it, try to make the majority of your travels take place on the trains. the bus system is quite inconsistent in this city at certain and its fucking annoying to have to sometimes wait an hour for a bus.

I've heard that. I'm really thankful for that new expo line that's opening soon. Connects USC right to Union station.

I've heard that. I'm really thankful for that new expo line that's opening soon. Connects USC right to Union station.

Once that happens, the metro rail should be able to take you to wherever you want to go for the most part.

The immediate surrounding of USC is very bad, especially anything south of the 10 and east of the 110. Just be smart about it take buses only on Normandie and Vermont to go north or south and don't stray too far from that.

As far as night life....USC has recently become a bit notorious for being a party school, as seen by that film series by James Franco

Daft_Cat

Once that happens, the metro rail should be able to take you to wherever you want to go for the most part.

The immediate surrounding of USC is very bad, especially anything south of the 10 and east of the 110. Just be smart about it take buses only on Normandie and Vermont to go north or south and don't stray too far from that.

As far as night life....USC has recently become a bit notorious for being a party school, as seen by that film series by James Franco

Haha, so basically the entirety of USC! Well..it's west of the 110..but yah. Thanks though, appreciate it. I'll make sure to keep your tip about only heading north or south in mind. There's a lot of really great schools situated right in the middle of shitty areas, so it's not too big a deal. Apparently USC itself is really safe...and I'll be fucked if their film MFA ain't worth the risk!

Someone recommended living in Culver City..since it'll be on that expo line, and it's apparently a great area.

Can anyone comment? Would it be in my 800-1200 budget (for a studio)? If so, how would I go about finding one (keep in mind, I'm international so I can't exactly spend days going around and checking places out).

Phthisis

Where can I get a hiking trail map? I want to do this hike this Friday:

http://www.modernhiker.com/2007/09/05/hiking-solstice-canyon/

This is a great hike (except for the end). I've done it twice. Just be warned that if you do the full loop, it's a total ass kicker. And I would also recommend you go before summer starts to warm up, as there is little to no shade almost the entire way, and it gets sweltering out there.

EDIT

Someone recommended living in Culver City..since it'll be on that expo line, and it's apparently a great area.

Can anyone comment? Would it be in my 800-1200 budget (for a studio)? If so, how would I go about finding one (keep in mind, I'm international so I can't exactly spend days going around and checking places out).

I live in Culver, and for my money, it's the best place to live in LA. It's located near everything, it's comparatively affordable, and it has its own municipality, meaning there isn't a lot of bullshit like in LA county. The infrastructure is kept up nicely, the downtown area is awesome. Lots to like about Culver.

My recommendation would be to search online for apartment complexes in CC. Start with stuff on Venice between Sepulveda Blvd and Fairfax, and work your way out from there. Lots of apartments for rent in that area.

Daft_Cat

I live in Culver, and for my money, it's the best place to live in LA. It's located near everything, it's comparatively affordable, and it has its own municipality, meaning there isn't a lot of bullshit like in LA county. The infrastructure is kept up nicely, the downtown area is awesome. Lots to like about Culver.

My recommendation would be to search online for apartment complexes in CC. Start with stuff on Venice between Sepulveda Blvd and Fairfax, and work your way out from there. Lots of apartments for rent in that area.

Thanks! I'll seriously consider Culver. Like I said, with that expo line opening up, it makes for a simple and very speedy commute.

I've done a bit more research, and it seems a lot of USC grad students (most, perhaps) live in the following neighbourhoods: Koreatown (my love for Blade Runner draws me to this), Westlake/Macarthur Park, Echo Park/Silverlake, or directly north and west of campus in the West Adams area.

Anyone here have any experience with these? Again, I'm not just speaking solely in terms of safety..I just want a visually appealing neighbourhood with a decent L.A vibe. Budget: 800-1300 for a decent studio or one bedroom. In other words, basically the same as what USC housing would charge me, but in a better area. Again, I'd rather rely on the metro lines, but the option to bring a car down is available.

Phthisis

Thanks! I'll seriously consider Culver. Like I said, with that expo line opening up, it makes for a simple and very speedy commute.

I've done a bit more research, and it seems a lot of USC grad students (most, perhaps) live in the following neighbourhoods: Koreatown (my love for Blade Runner draws me to this), Westlake/Macarthur Park, Echo Park/Silverlake, or directly north and west of campus in the West Adams area.

Anyone here have any experience with these? Again, I'm not just speaking solely in terms of safety..I just want a visually appealing neighbourhood with a decent L.A vibe. Budget: 800-1300 for a decent studio or one bedroom. In other words, basically the same as what USC housing would charge me, but in a better area. Again, I'd rather rely on the metro lines, but the option to bring a car down is available.

No matter where you live in LA, you won't be able to rely on the metro. The city is simply not built for that type of commuting. The LA metro is more of a convenience than a reliable system.

That said:

-Ktown: avoid. Have a friend who lives there, and while he does like it, it's also a higher crime area. Plus, on your budget, you can find a perfectly comfortable place in a nicer part of LA.

-Echo Park/Silverlake: people swear by it, call it "cultured". Personally, I hate it. It's old and most of it is dirty. Every hipster in LA lives there, so unless that's really your scene, you can do better. The one upside is that you can find rooms in a house or an actual house to rent for pretty cheap rather than a studio or apartment. Downside: really hard to get to as there's no real freeway route from this area of LA to the westside.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

I've done a bit more research, and it seems a lot of USC grad students (most, perhaps) live in the following neighbourhoods: Koreatown, Westlake/Macarthur Park, Echo Park/Silverlake, or directly north and west of campus in the West Adams area.

those are some hardcore and brave students...have you tried downtown LA? also go to metro.net for your metro needs like how to get from your pad to USC and back.

You're in luck.

Much better than echo/silverlake is Los Feliz. Safer and everything is here. I know of a few apts on my block in your price range, all with parking.

Guess what else it has. Walking distance to a metro line, grocery store and more than enough bars, resturants a 7-11 and two movie theaters. It's beautiful here. Definitly hit the jackpot with this apt/area. I dont have to drive often since I can just walk most places.

Puddles

Banned
-Echo Park/Silverlake: people swear by it, call it "cultured". Personally, I hate it. It's old and most of it is dirty. Every hipster in LA lives there, so unless that's really your scene, you can do better. The one upside is that you can find rooms in a house or an actual house to rent for pretty cheap rather than a studio or apartment. Downside: really hard to get to as there's no real freeway route from this area of LA to the westside.

101 to 110 to 10. Not difficult at all.

Verano

Phthisis and his white wine..lol
anyways, I agree it really isn't difficult to navigate. You can take major streets to the west side if freeways are pain in the ass like taking wilshire/pico blvd/olympic etc. all the way to santa monica.

You can take the metro bus anywhere you just have to plan accordingly and be at the stop 10-15 min. before the arrival time.

Daft_Cat

Thanks guys. Good tips all around. Vibe I'm getting is that with the amount of money USC charges for housing, I could get a nicer place in a nicer area of the city, without much of a commute.

Can't wait for the fall to roll around.

Would anyone recommend commuting? Finding somewhere cheaper doesn't matter..but I'd consider it if it meant a more vibrant neighbourhood with more to do. My only requirements is that I'm near a subway line so I can take advantage of that new light rail line opening up right around campus sometime in the near future.

I've got a car here in Toronto, and my parents have offered to let me take it but I'm leaning towards refusing the offer since I don't mind the subway, and I hear LA driving is awful. Again, feel free to let me know if I'm wrong!

Here are my thoughts, as a USC alum...

The area north and west of USC isn't too bad. It's very nice to be able to walk to classes, and though the area can be expensive, it's well worth the proximity. Being able to walk anywhere in LA is a blessing. Not having to fight to find parking (And believe me, you will do that ALL THE TIME in LA) is worth the cost. I don't think commuting is worth it if you're going to be spending any decent amount of time on campus.

People overstate the "dangerousness" of living near USC. Like I said, north and west of campus is generally safe. I lived there for 7 years myself and nothing bad ever happened to me. Nowadays they have campus security people standing on pretty much every street near the school.

Also, bring a car. Public transportation sucks in this city. If you want to get a taste of Los Angeles at all you absolutely need to have a car.

the, the, the

Zyzyxxz

the area around USC is bizarre there are pockets of really nice places but then a few blocks down it turns pretty ghetto/rundown.

Now I've worked in the are for a year and I've been out there past 2AM I generally felt pretty safe but just don't walk down a random dark alley if you aren't familiar with the area is my opinion a hobo taking a shit might spook you.

Hey guys,

my spring break starts Friday night. I was gonna go see my folks up north, but that fell through. I've got about $100 to kill. What should I do? I don't really want to put too many miles on the car, and I don't have any friends.

(I live in the valley.)

Sobriquet

Well, that's weird.

Silver Lake, Los Feliz, and Echo Park are my favorite neighborhoods.

Culver City is my least.

Parallel

I recently got a job offer in downtown LA and I was looking at potential areas to move to. Now I have a friend who currently works and lives in Pasadena and he's on a month to month lease but we talked about rooming together if I ever made it out to the LA area. My question is what area is a good midpoint for both us so that our commutes won't be too terrible? I was thinking either Silverlake or Glendale. Suggestions?

Verano

I recently got a job offer in downtown LA and I was looking at potential areas to move to. Now I have a friend who currently works and lives in Pasadena and he's on a month to month lease but we talked about rooming together if I ever made it out to the LA area. My question is what area is a good midpoint for both us so that our commutes won't be too terrible? I was thinking either Silverlake or Glendale. Suggestions?

Alhambra

Sobriquet

Silver Lake

Top Bottom