• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Puddles

Banned
I can't remember...is there where it changes to Western? I remember getting lost around there before.

Right around where Hillhurst and Virgil intersect with Sunset. All the streets do really weird things in that part of town. But if you keep going west, it turns into a nice, organized grid that makes everyone happy.

Zyzyxxz

Even better, happy hour is 3-7 Mon-Fri. $4 beers on tap, and they now carry awesome Eagle Rock brewery beer! If you come after 6, you can park across the street all night for $5 with validation, and since Library Bar is right around the corner, you can make a proper night of it.

Well now that you put it that way I guess I have to.

Really depends on what you like? Ramen, sushi, or curry?

I eat pretty much everything, and I love Japanese. I've been to Daikokuya already, but if you know any other great/cheap places around there, I'm all ears.

Daughter of a friend of mines friend. Could'nt hurt posting here.

http://i.imgur.com/AmvEd.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Damn. That's terrible. Any news or updates about the sit? Not likely I'll get a glimpse of her down here, but I'll keep an eye out, Count.

[quote="Mifune, post: 35455085"]Have you guys been to The Last Bookstore downtown? It's really an amazing used/new store with a built-in coffee shop. Huge, great selection, lots of comfy chairs in which to sit and read, right near the Metro station.

I just got back from the Bay Area where there are oodles of great bookstores, but none as immense as this one. It's like the Amoeba of independent bookstores.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I love that place. It was still sort of being set up last I went, but I impulse snagged a great book called 'The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher" that turned out to be a real cool read. Now that they have a coffee place I HAVE to go back. Mmmmm....coffee and books.

[quote="Nintendoll, post: 35458677"]Even better, happy hour is 3-7 Mon-Fri. $4 beers on tap, and they now carry awesome Eagle Rock brewery beer! If you come after 6, you can park across the street all night for $5 with validation, and since Library Bar is right around the corner, you can make a proper night of it.

Hell yes! Smog Cutter is the jam![/QUOTE]

Score! Trying to get a few days in mid-March off, so I might just be able to hit that happy hour. Library Bar is also very cool. Did you and Lore get to hit up 7 Grand or Public School 612 while you were in that area? (I miss my old drinking holes... ;_;)

Right around where Hillhurst and Virgil intersect with Sunset. All the streets do really weird things in that part of town. But if you keep going west, it turns into a nice, organized grid that makes everyone happy.

Ooh, when you mentioned Los Feliz I thought of the street and that's what I remembered about it turning into Western....yeah it's that general area that I was working in a couple of years ago trying to find manholes and telephone poles and the streets just didn't seem to make any sense. It was the only time I actually used a Thomas Guide instead of my GPS because of the weirdness.

Puddles

Banned
A friend of mine is playing a set at the Silverlake Lounge on Monday. His music would probably be considered folk-rock, and he's a fantastic guitar player. Anyone interested in checking it out?

JEKKI

heyyyy guys just curious what are some romantic/fun places in LA (such as the griffith observatory) to visit?
whaaaaaaaat?!?!?! speaking of romance and griffith observatory, my romantic interest jus went there this morning with some of her friends!!

we are gonna go to the Aquarium in Long Beach in a few weeks so maybe that's a good date spot for u??

and Disneyland too lol.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
heyyyy guys just curious what are some romantic/fun places in LA (such as the griffith observatory) to visit?

If you like long walks on the beach, Dockweiler has a great path that goes for a while. Also if you go around sunset you'll weave in and out of a lot of bonfires.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
If you like long walks on the beach, Dockweiler has a great path that goes for a while. Also if you go around sunset you'll weave in and out of a lot of bonfires.
Dockweiler also has a bunch of people that randomly jump onto the path while playing football on the sand. Its like a game of paperboy come to life sometimes.

They found that missing girl, btw. She was just out with friends or something.

UPDATE: we talked to Selena she called home and we've confirmed she is ok and will be home soon.
We would llike to thank everyone for helping us find her and everyones well wishes. Selena will see how special she is to everyone and how much she is loved.
Thank you everyone !!!!!!!!

Well that makes me happy.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
420865_637261202116_83504672_31889407_175545578_n.jpg

I don't really agree, but thought it definitely belongs in LAGaf.

Demy

Does Norwalk count as LA? We're a humble village on the outskirts of Downey and Cerritos. Tain't no trouble here, no sirree.

Now a DTLA brag post. Had a memorable evening last Monday stumbling from Silo's Vodka bar, to The Falls, to Cole's, and ending with a slice and a beer at Garage Pizza.

Jzero

Does Norwalk count as LA? We're a humble village on the outskirts of Downey and Cerritos. Tain't no trouble here, no sirree.

Now a DTLA brag post. Had a memorable evening last Monday stumbling from Silo's Vodka bar, to The Falls, to Cole's, and ending with a slice and a beer at Garage Pizza.
A lot of people from surrounding areas post here too. I live in Lakewood.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Oh god, Downey. I hate Downey.

Argyle

Also, anyone have any tasty cheap eats recommendations for Downtown? $10-$15 range-ish. A bacon wrapped hot dog can be had almost anywhere, of course, but if there are better options, I'd love to hear them.

Late to the party on this but I had jury duty last year and here are the places I would recommend (biased towards being near the courthouse, of course)...

Starry Kitchen for it's wacky rotating menu of pan-Asian food. This used to be an underground restaurant but now they are legit...and the owner is a huge video game nerd, btw :)

I also second the recommendation for Mendocino Farms. Both it and Starry Kitchen are in the California Plaza.

Check out the Grand Central Market. A lot of its luster has been lost for me now that Chimu has closed (awesome Peruvian joint :() but you can get some reasonably good and cheap eats. I think the other thing I think is worth checking out are the two Mexican places (same owners for both I think? The one in the center is called Ana Maria's IIRC, the other is like Tacos something and Tomas).

Nickel Diner is good but it's in a shitty neighborhood (pretty much Skid Row)...good comfort food and maple bacon donuts.

In Little Tokyo, for ramen there is Daikokuya (already mentioned) and a new branch of Shinsengumi Hakata Ramen (RIP Izayoi :( )...I also like Chin-ma-ya for Japanese style tan tan men, and I don't really care much for Orochon. Haven't tried the newish ramen place over in Honda Plaza on 2nd St (RIP 2nd. St. Cafe, your pancakes were awesome :( )

Wakasaya in the Little Tokyo Village is good for seafood donburi but not that cheap (still under $15), just don't expect huge portions. I like it because it's still a reasonable amount of food and I don't feel like I'm going to die afterwards. Reviews are mixed (I know our own Nakedsushi would disagree) so YMMV.

Kula Sushi just opened up and it's pretty good for dirt cheap conveyor belt sushi, everything is $2, but I don't know if you will fill up before you hit $15.

I think you can get lunch at Shabu Shabu House for under $15 as well.

For curry IMHO the best is Fat Spoon, Curry House is aight too.

For lunch, I've heard Spice Table (for upscale Vietnamese banh mi/Singaporean food) is good, but I didn't make it there myself.

At lunchtime I think you can get a good meal at the Lazy Ox Canteen for under $15. The burger there is pretty great.

Near Chinatown there is always Philippe's for a French Dip sandwich.

The Homegirl Cafe is over there too, I didn't get to try this (too busy) but it's probably worth checking out.

Lots of other places in Chinatown, I seldom eat there since I live so close to Alhambra/Monterey Park, so I usually go there for Chinese or Vietnamese food.

Near USC, check out the Mercado La Paloma, there are at least two great restaurants there - Chichen Itza for Yucatecan food (note: Google is warning that their website was hacked, this is a Yelp link), and Mo-chica (for great Peruvian food).

I have pictures (ok, shitty cellphone pictures) from a lot of these places, everyone tells me I should write a food blog but I'm typically too lazy/busy to do it :p

Puddles

Banned
I can honestly say that I have never spent any significant amount of time in Downey. I've probably driven through it, but I didn't stay long.

Argyle

I can honestly say that I have never spent any significant amount of time in Downey. I've probably driven through it, but I didn't stay long.

I haven't spent much time there either...but I spent pretty much my entire afternoon today in Whittier, another one of those cities where I think most Angelenos would be like "where?"

I was there to eat Burmese food at the Golden Triangle...not too many other Burmese places in LA to be honest. It's in what basically seems to be Old Town Whittier (but I honestly don't know the history of the area), so I walked around all afternoon to check it out.

Zyzyxxz

wall of text

Holy crap that's like everything I would have recommended to try except for Daikokuya (ramen sucks).

Also I once ate at Wakasaya and was disgusted, never going back there.

And last to note that newish ramen place on 2nd street is owned and operated by Koreans I believe, not to be racist but Koreans attempting to do Japanese food usually fails 9 out of 10 times (and for that one time they don't it's probably because I haven't tried it yet).

PG2G

I'm actually not a big fan of Fat Spoon. I miss the spice levels that Curry House offers. Mild is really bland after eating hot. I do feel like the meat is better at Fat Spoon though.

I'm actually not a big fan of Fat Spoon. I miss the spice levels that Curry House offers. Mild is really bland after eating hot. I do feel like the meat is better at Fat Spoon though.

Fat Spoon serves as a nice counterpoint to Curry House, which can get pretty samey if you eat it enough (I eat at their to-go spot by Marukai fairly often. pro-tip - buy a drink at Maurkai and get 10% off at Curry House to-go with the receipt, which negates the tax plus a bit.). Goes more into the spiced (not spicey) end of the curry spectrum, much more ginger/cinnamon flavor coming out.

How I wish for a Hurry Curry in Little Tokyo, though. I would go there like every other day. ;_; I was despondent when I found out their Pasadena location closed. I need to make a trip out to Sawtelle SOON.

gray_fox224

I consider it the City of Los Angeles. It seem some folks in this thread disagree. I even got called a douche. :shrug: I give a pass to the Santa Monica area, I suppose.

I consider the 710 to be the cutoff to the east.

Thenwhat do you consider North Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc?

Zyzyxxz

Well if you want more depth of flavor in your curry I think Fat Spoon is the best in this country (this coming from a guy who has been trying to perfect his own curry) this is for me personally. The one time I tried curry house I thought it was too sweet, as if they used too much tomato paste or something.

Thenwhat do you consider North Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc?

That's called the Valley, which by LA stereotypes sucks.

PG2G

Well if you want more depth of flavor in your curry I think Fat Spoon is the best in this country (this coming from a guy who has been trying to perfect his own curry) this is for me personally. The one time I tried curry house I thought it was too sweet, as if they used too much tomato paste or something.

Have you tried CoCo Ichibanya yet? I hear good things. It's a chain from Japan but they opened a location in Torrance last year.

Zyzyxxz

Have you tried CoCo Ichibanya yet? I hear good things. It's a chain from Japan but they opened a location in Torrance last year.

Been meaning to but their new location in Rowland Heights is out of the way for me. Maybe I'll give it a go some weekend.

Babalu.

went to G-burger for the first time on sunday. I have had friends and church in whittier/lahabra my whole life and even worked in la habra off of euclid a few years ago and I didn't even know it existed.

That burger is DAMN good. I saw the g burger and knew it was wayyy to much so I just got a cheeseburger with bacon and guacamole and couldn't even finish that. The fries were awesome as well. I wanted to try those g-fries but I knew I would barely finish the burger so maybe next time.

Anyone got any pics of the g-fries? I wanna what they look like. The people working there were awesome as well. There was a bald guy that seemed like the manager/owner that was showing us the g-burger and everything. We were chillin outside eating for a couple hours and they came by and asked if we were good or needed anything.

Great place. Highly Recommended.

Argyle

Been meaning to but their new location in Rowland Heights is out of the way for me. Maybe I'll give it a go some weekend.

It's pretty good (been to the one in Torrance, the one in Rowland Heights, and a couple in Hawaii...didn't make it to one when I was in Okinawa tho)...best thing is that you can really customize your curry with toppings, and if you want it hot you can definitely get it hot (although I'm told it's a one-note hot if you start pushing the limits - personally I like it hot by mild Japanese standards, so I get the standard curry which is a bit hotter than a Curry House "hot" or maybe a +1 hot.).

Mifune

Mehmber
Last night I took the Metro to meet up with some friends and catch a basketball game. Almost felt like I lived in a real city.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Last night I took the Metro to meet up with some friends and catch a basketball game. Almost felt like I lived in a real city.
Did you get harassed by that blind homeless dude that randomly appears on the train?

Top Bottom