• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You haven't seen him? Has anyone else that rides the blue line seen him? He pulls his glass eyes out and everything.

Mifune

Mehmber
Did you get harassed by that blind homeless dude that randomly appears on the train?

No, but it sounds like I missed out.

The train was PACKED. Aside from the questionable geographical layout, the system ain't bad. Clean, fast, all the other good public trans descriptors. I could make a habit of using it on weekends. Now if only I worked downtown...

FStop7

Banned
Posted this on my Facebook earlier today after I got hit up by some clown for a $10,000 deposit on a shitty loft in DTLA.

1. Buy abandoned factory in the hood near downtown LA.
2. Bribe city officials to re-zone as residential
3. Put in some cheap walls and bathrooms and market as an "artist's loft".
4. Charge $2,500 a month and demand a $10,000 deposit to move in.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Late to the party on this but I had jury duty last year and here are the places I would recommend (biased towards being near the courthouse, of course)...

Starry Kitchen for it's wacky rotating menu of pan-Asian food. This used to be an underground restaurant but now they are legit...and the owner is a huge video game nerd, btw :)

I also second the recommendation for Mendocino Farms. Both it and Starry Kitchen are in the California Plaza.

Check out the Grand Central Market. A lot of its luster has been lost for me now that Chimu has closed (awesome Peruvian joint :() but you can get some reasonably good and cheap eats. I think the other thing I think is worth checking out are the two Mexican places (same owners for both I think? The one in the center is called Ana Maria's IIRC, the other is like Tacos something and Tomas).

Nickel Diner is good but it's in a shitty neighborhood (pretty much Skid Row)...good comfort food and maple bacon donuts.

In Little Tokyo, for ramen there is Daikokuya (already mentioned) and a new branch of Shinsengumi Hakata Ramen (RIP Izayoi :( )...I also like Chin-ma-ya for Japanese style tan tan men, and I don't really care much for Orochon. Haven't tried the newish ramen place over in Honda Plaza on 2nd St (RIP 2nd. St. Cafe, your pancakes were awesome :( )

Wakasaya in the Little Tokyo Village is good for seafood donburi but not that cheap (still under $15), just don't expect huge portions. I like it because it's still a reasonable amount of food and I don't feel like I'm going to die afterwards. Reviews are mixed (I know our own Nakedsushi would disagree) so YMMV.

Kula Sushi just opened up and it's pretty good for dirt cheap conveyor belt sushi, everything is $2, but I don't know if you will fill up before you hit $15.

I think you can get lunch at Shabu Shabu House for under $15 as well.

For curry IMHO the best is Fat Spoon, Curry House is aight too.

For lunch, I've heard Spice Table (for upscale Vietnamese banh mi/Singaporean food) is good, but I didn't make it there myself.

At lunchtime I think you can get a good meal at the Lazy Ox Canteen for under $15. The burger there is pretty great.

Near Chinatown there is always Philippe's for a French Dip sandwich.

The Homegirl Cafe is over there too, I didn't get to try this (too busy) but it's probably worth checking out.

Lots of other places in Chinatown, I seldom eat there since I live so close to Alhambra/Monterey Park, so I usually go there for Chinese or Vietnamese food.

Near USC, check out the Mercado La Paloma, there are at least two great restaurants there - Chichen Itza for Yucatecan food (note: Google is warning that their website was hacked, this is a Yelp link), and Mo-chica (for great Peruvian food).

I have pictures (ok, shitty cellphone pictures) from a lot of these places, everyone tells me I should write a food blog but I'm typically too lazy/busy to do it :p

Dayum. Thanks, Argyle! That's a helluva a list. I will definitely check some of these out. Appreciate you taking the time to compile them for me. :)

I just call it "North of Hollywood"

Hey, timetokill. I see you're missing from the bar crawl thread. What's up with that? ;)

FStop7

Banned
LA-GAF, are any of you looking to move and have considered Malibu? I found a place today that I really want. It's a 2/2 in Point Dume overlooking the ocean. It has a killer view from the living room, kitchen and deck. The beach is a walk (kind of steep coming back up) or a short drive away. It has parking for 3 cars (I have two, so there is one spot for a roommate) plus guest parking on the street. The kitchen is a little old but the stove is going to be replaced. Fridge would be supplied by me - a very nice Samsung.

FIOS is available. I am not much of a TV watcher so my TV is "only" 32 inches. If you have a bigger TV you're welcome to bring it or perhaps we could split the $500 cost or whatever it is for a decent 42" or 46".

I have a 360 and a PS3 with a pretty good library of games.

I have a cat so if you're allergic be warned. She is 14 years old and very awesome. At first she'll be terrified of you but after a week or so she'll want to be your best friend.

There is storage underneath for bikes, surfboards, etc. There's a washer/dryer that is shared with another unit.

The second bedroom does not have a regular door, instead it has a folding partition. It's very private when closed. There are two bathrooms. One of them has a tub and the other has a walk in shower with a glass door. That particular bathroom also has a skylight which is pretty cool. The ceilings are high, by the way.

I am a pretty quiet and chill person and I am looking for the same. And I need someone that I can trust and rely on to be responsible, no joke. I own a lot of expensive photography and computer gear, a couple of nice cars, my kitty cat is kind of delicate due to her age... so I need someone who will be respectful of my stuff as well as of the property in general.

I work a regular day job during the week and on weekends I'm either at home chilling or out doing photo work. One of the big reasons I want to move to Malibu is so I can step up my commitment to photography.

If I lease this place it will be for 12 months to start. I would be looking for a minimum commitment of 6 months for a roommate. For a full time student I would probably agree to 4 months if it lines up better with your semester but I would also ask for slightly higher rent.

Rent for 6 month term would be $1,200 plus shared utilities. I cannot stress how much I like this place. I've been all over Malibu and this is the best option I've yet to find. It's centrally located so Santa Monica is about 20 to 30 minutes away. Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village are about 30 minutes away. Pepperdine is 10 minutes away. The beach is right there. There is a supermarket, two banks, a gas station, and a Starbucks right around the corner. This place seeps awesomeness from its pores. It is not super fancy or modern. It's a beach pad but it has a lot of contemporary touches such as glass bowl sinks in the bathrooms, etc.

FStop7

Banned
You would also be Iron Man's neighbor.

W3Rgk.png

Hey, timetokill. I see you're missing from the bar crawl thread. What's up with that? ;)

Heya ;) I'm figuring that out, but it might just be at a bad time for me. My birthday is actually on the 15th, my friend's birthday is on the 18th, and my wife's is on the 19th. My friend already has a bar crawl set up for the 17th and I don't know that I want to do two bar crawls on successive days! Or else I probably wouldn't be doing either of them justice. And doing your own birthday party on a Thursday can suck, so I might do mine Friday, or maybe Sunday, or ... I don't know!

But who knows, something might open up. Thanks for thinking of me :D

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
LA-GAF, are any of you looking to move and have considered Malibu? I found a place today that I really want. It's a 2/2 in Point Dume overlooking the ocean. It has a killer view from the living room, kitchen and deck. The beach is a walk (kind of steep coming back up) or a short drive away. It has parking for 3 cars (I have two, so there is one spot for a roommate) plus guest parking on the street. The kitchen is a little old but the stove is going to be replaced. Fridge would be supplied by me - a very nice Samsung.

FIOS is available. I am not much of a TV watcher so my TV is "only" 32 inches. If you have a bigger TV you're welcome to bring it or perhaps we could split the $500 cost or whatever it is for a decent 42" or 46".

I have a cat so if you're allergic be warned. She is 14 years old and very awesome. At first she'll be terrified of you but after a week or so she'll want to be your best friend.

There is storage underneath for bikes, surfboards, etc. There's a washer/dryer that is shared with another unit.

The second bedroom does not have a regular door, instead it has a folding partition. It's very private when closed. There are two bathrooms. One of them has a tub and the other has a walk in shower with a glass door. That particular bathroom also has a skylight which is pretty cool. The ceilings are high, by the way.

I am a pretty quiet and chill person and I am looking for the same. And I need someone that I can trust and rely on to be responsible, no joke. I own a lot of expensive photography and computer gear, a couple of nice cars, my kitty cat is kind of delicate due to her age... so I need someone who will be respectful of my stuff as well as of the property in general.

I work a regular day job during the week and on weekends I'm either at home chilling or out doing photo work. One of the big reasons I want to move to Malibu is so I can step up my commitment to photography.

If I lease this place it will be for 12 months to start. I would be looking for a minimum commitment of 6 months for a roommate. For a full time student I would probably agree to 4 months if it lines up better with your semester but I would also ask for slightly higher rent.

Rent for 6 month term would be $1,200 plus shared utilities. I cannot stress how much I like this place. I've been all over Malibu and this is the best option I've yet to find. It's centrally located so Santa Monica is about 20 to 30 minutes away. Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village are about 30 minutes away. Pepperdine is 10 minutes away. The beach is right there. There is a supermarket, two banks, a gas station, and a Starbucks right around the corner. This place seeps awesomeness from its pores. It is not super fancy or modern. It's a beach pad but it has a lot of contemporary touches such as glass bowl sinks in the bathrooms, etc.

Damn, I might be interested in this but I just got a job downtown so it would be a long ass drive. I'm still looking for a different job so maybe in the future. Sounds like we would get along well.

Sounds like a sweet place. I'm curious what it looks like.

Not interested in moving right now though sorry.

FStop7

Banned
Damn, I might be interested in this but I just got a job downtown so it would be a long ass drive. I'm still looking for a different job so maybe in the future. Sounds like we would get along well.

I might hold off on getting a roommate until after the 4th of July so my parents can visit. If you are interested and your job situation changes send me a PM.

Sounds like a sweet place. I'm curious what it looks like.

Not interested in moving right now though sorry.

I'll take some pics tonight as I'm going there after work to sign the lease.

Per person? Is the public transportation good? (former Chicagoan that still has to learn how to drive.)

There is bus service with a stop in the neighborhood but it's limited. In LA you really need to learn how to drive even if you don't plan on doing so on a regular basis. I can teach you!

Cliffside and Dume is the stop. Where would you be commuting to, though? That's the more important question.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/534.pdf

The rent for a roommate would be $1200+shared utils including a private bedroom, bathroom and 1 car parking.

Total rent is $3,000 - My split would be $1,800 because I'll have the larger bedroom and be using up 2 parking spots.

In 14 years I have never been able to get the cat to get a job so she freeloads.

There is bus service with a stop in the neighborhood but it's limited. In LA you really need to learn how to drive even if you don't plan on doing so on a regular basis. I can teach you!

Cliffside and Dume is the stop. Where would you be commuting to, though? That's the more important question.
The rent for a roommate would be $1200+shared utils including a private bedroom, bathroom and 1 car parking.

Total rent is $3,000 - My split would be $1,800 because I'll have the larger bedroom and be using up 2 parking spots.

In 14 years I have never been able to get the cat to get a job so she freeloads.

Yeah that's past what I can do right now. I'm on a sublet in weho, but I've been looking for something else. I work weekends in Hollywood.
Take the cat to Central Casting -_-

So, LA-GAF.

I didn't get Seattle/into the Kinect program. You guys have me.

This means I'm doing the Hollywood Fringe this year.

A bit depressed. Went on a three day ME3 binge, but we're working on our lil' game company every single day. Slowly but surely.

Seattle's cold, anyway.

The one time I was in line at Sprinkles, this rich European guy (in his 20's) and his trophy gf came out with a box of cupcakes and started taunting the people (holding a cupcake in his mouth -" hmmmm....sooooooo goooooooooood") in line and promptly got into his Ferrari.

The one time I was in line at Sprinkles, this rich European guy (in his 20's) and his trophy gf came out with a box of cupcakes and started taunting the people (holding a cupcake in his mouth -" hmmmm....sooooooo goooooooooood") in line and promptly got into his Ferrari.

That's good.

I once saw someone throw their trash into the street.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, LA-GAF.

I didn't get Seattle/into the Kinect program. You guys have me.

This means I'm doing the Hollywood Fringe this year.

A bit depressed. Went on a three day ME3 binge, but we're working on our lil' game company every single day. Slowly but surely.

Seattle's cold, anyway.
Sucks, man

I don't get the point of the Sprinkles ATM...I'd imagine the line for this would be as long (if not even longer) as the store itself...? People would be taking their sweet time trying to browse the interface and figuring out what to get...and I'm sure they're gonna get more than one too.

I don't get the point of the Sprinkles ATM...I'd imagine the line for this would be as long (if not even longer) as the store itself...? People would be taking their sweet time trying to browse the interface and figuring out what to get...and I'm sure they're gonna get more than one too.

24 hours...

CFMOORE!

holy shit, i think i've seen this very same dude come into this place i was having lunch in, he pulled up in his ferrari, walked in and bought a brownie, scarfed it down in like 10 seconds and then got back in and sped off. it was so weird.

HenryHSH

Are people lined up at soda machines?

beat

Might as well ask here: anyone know where to buy chicken chicharron? As far as I know, it's usually a Filipino product, so maybe sold at Filipino groceries or markets? It's like pork rinds, but made from chicken skin and way better than pork rinds.

Wads

Banned
LA GAF - anybody know of a movie theater that shows English speaking movies with Japanese or Chinese subtitles? Maybe in Monteray Park, China town, or Little Tokyo?

Top Bottom