• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Question for active drivers, how much of a pain in the ass would it be to commute from Burbank to Santa Monica every day (driving)?

horrific. do not attempt (the alternate traffic free direction is a 40-45 minute commute... with traffic, unless you leave before dawn, you're looking at 90-120 minutes minimum)

I'm going to be studying abroad in LA next spring and I have to find my own housing for 5 weeks. My situation is difficult because I wouldn't be able to sign a traditional lease since I'm not going to be there for that long. The idea is that I'll get a job straight out of the program, but that's far from a guarantee.

What resources can I use to find those types of rental opportunities?

P.S. Hitting the pavement isn't really an option for me since I'm in Chicago.

Alchemy

Dude driving from Burbank to Santa Monica is a bitch during the weekend. I wouldn't even dare do it during the work week.

I might be stuck doing it for a couple of months, not really sure right now since a lot of things are up in the air. Good to know I will have a very painful commute if everything goes right though...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm going to be studying abroad in LA next spring and I have to find my own housing for 5 weeks. My situation is difficult because I wouldn't be able to sign a traditional lease since I'm not going to be there for that long. The idea is that I'll get a job straight out of the program, but that's far from a guarantee.

WestSideRentals.com / Craigslist

look for places that will do month-to-month (furnished?) leases. there will be options for that for sure. You'll pay a little more, but it'll work out.

also might look for places/houses with like, rooms for rent sort of things

Clipjoint

WestSideRentals.com / Craigslist

look for places that will do month-to-month (furnished?) leases. there will be options for that for sure. You'll pay a little more, but it'll work out.

also might look for places/houses with like, rooms for rent sort of things

I found my place through Padmapper, that's another great resource.

beat

Air BNB? Couchsurfing? Padmapper/Craigslist for sublets?

just landed a job in burbank yesterday, so i'll be moving out there soon. that should make commuting to and from places in town much easier. driving to downtown and surrounding areas all the way from san pedro was seriously killing my gas.

so any word on when the next LA-Gaf meetup will be?

commedieu

Banned
Whats going down tonight folks? Music.. Mayhem... anything?

Thinking of hitting up some KBBQ + Karaoke, anyone know a good joint? Plus bars, lots of bars...

Whats going down tonight folks? Music.. Mayhem... anything?

Thinking of hitting up some KBBQ + Karaoke, anyone know a good joint? Plus bars, lots of bars...

Homework for life. I just happen to have the one teacher that expects you to learn something in this film course. So all my buddies in the same course but with a different teacher don't have the homework load I have. Which means I am doing nothing but editing and reading tonight.

commedieu

Banned
Homework for life. I just happen to have the one teacher that expects you to learn something in this film course. So all my buddies in the same course but with a different teacher don't have the homework load I have. Which means I am doing nothing but editing and reading tonight.

lezz get hammered.

fuck that noise. I do visual effects, Ill teach you all about the world of film.

Wait for my signal, ill post here. My gf and i are gunna paint the town platinum.

Actual best burgers in L.A. are:

-Golden State
-Short Order
-Fathers Office
-In-n-Out (of course).

And that's it. Umami aint even in the running.

Bottega Louie has my favorite burger in LA. Used to be (wrongly) on the menu as a Kobe Beef burger, if anyone ate there maybe two or so years ago.

LA and the west coast in general still needs a damn Shake Shack.

Irnbru

Actual best burgers in L.A. are:

-Golden State
-Short Order
-Fathers Office
-In-n-Out (of course).

And that's it. Umami aint even in the running.

You know, I just can't like the Fathers Office burgers. They are good, don't get me wrong, but there just isn't something in them that takes them to the next level. Though Louie's burger is spectacular.

Also, had a Deus beer at Fathers Office the other night. One of the best beer's I've ever had.

Hey guys. Back when I was a lurker, I read about some LA-GAF meetups, and I was wondering if you guys are planning any more of those. I moved out to Hollywood recently, would love to have a meetup.

I hate whenever ppl talk about LA burgers and always fail to mention Tommy's

But not me... Tommy's.

I only go to a few Tommy's places. Most of them scimp on the chilli. The O.G. one and the one in Barstow is the one's I like going to. Having tried out the Vegas Tommy's yet. I only eat it maybe twice a year but I want my burgers and fries with tons of chilli

Nekobo

My company recently moved from Culver City to Los Angeles. Unfortunately the new location is on Wilshire and Bundy, a few blocks away from the VA Hospital. I commute from San Gabriel, so the most direct route would be the 10 West to the 405 South. Needless to say, that route is congested.

Does anyone know of a better way to get from San Gabriel to my workplace?

Zyzyxxz

My company recently moved from Culver City to Los Angeles. Unfortunately the new location is on Wilshire and Bundy, a few blocks away from the VA Hospital. I commute from San Gabriel, so the most direct route would be the 10 West to the 405 South. Needless to say, that route is congested.

Does anyone know of a better way to get from San Gabriel to my workplace?

Unless you want to park your car along the gold line and ride it to Culver City, even then I'm not sure how far you will have to walk. Good luck with the commute though, it's quite a bitch. What time do you need to be there?

Hey LA Gaffers! I am going to be returning from college to LA in May (graduation, wooo!).

Anyways, I wanted to know if there is anything in LA that is the equivalent or close to San Antonio's Geekdom events/socials. It is a great place to network and geek out with fellow geeks.

http://geekdom.com/

Or any IT/security social events?

Top Bottom