• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

PG2G

Silverlake isn't too far from Korea town. Go down Vermont or Western a mile or two and you'll have your choice of kbbq.

dunno about vegetarian options though, lol

PG2G

Just spent $17 on two tacos and a lemonade at Sky's Gourmet Tacos on Pico. Pretty good, especially the crawfish taco, but goddamn at the price.

Not really. Would depend on your threshold for 'decent.' Some nicer areas than others, as you go into Koreatown.

Hm. I'll keep that in mind.

So far I've been to Santa Monica, USC Hollywood blvd, and the observatory. What other touristy areas should I check out before my girlfriend leaves? Are there any events happening tonight?

Guys (and gals)... please... any recommendations for Chinese or Thai on the westside? It's a goddamn wasteland west of the 405 around Santa Monica it seems like :(

beat

Guys (and gals)... please... any recommendations for Chinese or Thai on the westside? It's a goddamn wasteland west of the 405 around Santa Monica it seems like :(

ROC Kitchen, which is juuuuust barely west of the 405. And slightly to the east of the 405, there's the Westfield Culver City branch of 101 Noodle Express.

Zyzyxxz

So I gotta ask, LAGAF, which movie theater in LA do you guys think is the best?

Arclight just because it's pricier so you don't have to deal with dumbass riffraff (aka people talking during movies, people bringing in babies, shitty people in general) at least the one that I go to in Pasadena. Also being able to select your seats is so much better than hoping that as a large group you don't get separated or forced to sit in front unknowingly.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Obviously Arclight, though it's also the most expensive.

There's some sneaky good screens throughout town too, depending on where you go. There's a regency in Van Nuys I actually like quite a bit when a movie doesn't justify 14 bucks for Arclight.

The AMC 16 in Burbank is solid too for gold pass usage

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
There are some small AMC's that are pretty good. I like the one in Woodland Hills. I go there A lot because they take movie pass.

it really, really depends a lot on the local manager and projectionist. Fortunately there are a lot of good projectionists out here. AMC also has put a lot of money into upgrading their cinemas in general, I think.

YMMV though... and it of course doesn't take much to mess up the experience. i caught Silver Lining Playbook at a smaller AMC in Burbank, and while the projection and sound was great, the screen had a couple big stains on it that were distracting in any bright scene. sigh.

also - as Arclight goes, Hollywood is better than any of the others.

Every time I have been there the screens have been horrible. Although it being filled with nothing but old Jewish people is nice. They make a good crowd.

Yeah, the crowds are quiet, which I like. Easy to get in and out. The screen quality is hit or miss, though I haven't felt they've been "horrible" -- but my eyesight isn't incredible or anything :p

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Like five years later.

haha.

it is crazy how badly the food truck bubble popped though. It wasn't that long ago we'd have 8 trucks outside the office on a random day.

now we only see Nintendoll every other week or so, and an occasional Kogi appearance.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Sup boys and girls. My band Luffy is playing at the house of blues tonight on sunset. Foundation room, 10 bucks, 11pm.

No pressure. Just coolness. Next up; those indie venues. I'm staring you down.

How do you people deal with the traffic, my god.

By living in areas that are against regular traffic patterns for your commute to work. Also just being generally aware if the prevailing traffic flow at any given point and what directions on what freeways are best to avoid at any certain point if time. Also a deep knowledge of surface streets and their traffic patterns is likewise tremendous.

I spent all day bouncing between Hollywood, Downtown and Pasadena, and back to Downtown today and barely was affected by traffic at all.

By living in areas that are against regular traffic patterns for your commute to work. Also just being generally aware if the prevailing traffic flow at any given point and what directions on what freeways are best to avoid at any certain point if time. Also a deep knowledge of surface streets and their traffic patterns is likewise tremendous.

I spent all day bouncing between Hollywood, Downtown and Pasadena, and back to Downtown today and barely was affected by traffic at all.

My internship is in Santa Monica...right now I live in Temple City ;___;

6AM and it's busy. 6PM it's busy. Thank God for 'This American Life'. And coffee.

Top Bottom