• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Dimension |OT| not Lego Dimensions

70tPiTj.png

vPY0DGN.png

i6euqxU.png

vRaAVHZ.png

l45E9Wv.png

7JuIov0.png

XmW1fnC.png

d1x0TAa.png

w81MfA7.png

So, this is my first OT, so be nice, please! If there are any errors or misinformation, please let me know. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Kamina777

Banned
Great first OT I'm torn on whether to buy this, reading and watching your info should sway me one way or the other, thanks for all the effort!

pariah164

Great OT! Really looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Hopefully the DLC bonus will work and not run on GCT.

1337Sauce

Hoping that this arrives in the morning. Pre-ordered it without knowing too much, so if it turns out to be even remotely good then I should be happy with my purchase.

Can anybody comment on how it was received in Japan?

Also, awesome job for your first OT!

Seda

A couple typos but no misinformation I think.

I've completed the game so I clarify some things if needed.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Looks good for a first time OT.

Though you might want to add the price info to the product info section.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

A couple typos but no misinformation I think.

I've completed the game so I clarify some things if needed.

Cool! I figured there'd be some typos, haha, but I don't mind correcting them. I have OCD tendencies like that

Looks good for a first time OT.

Though you might want to add the price info to the product info section.

I considered it, but the thought that stopped me from putting it in is if someone discovers the OT or looks into the game in a few months time, the price wouldn't be up to date. I suppose it's worth adding as most people will be seeing the thread now.

mdubs

Banned
Coo! Reviews have been solid so far so it seems pretty much like I expected, hopefully this will provide a nice twist but still fill the Valkyria void in a way for me.

Seda how long did a play through take?

Tizoc

Gonna ask my brother if my order arrived or not. Then again it likely shipped from Amazon.com a few hours ago and won't be here for another few days xp

I've never played Valkyria Chronicles; am I gonna be at a disadvantage?

I'm one of the few unfortunate JRPG fans who has yet to experience VC as well (though I've seen a decent bit of gameplay and have been dying to get the opportunity to play it), but from what I understand Lost Dimension shares some similarities to it, yet is still largely it's own thing. I doubt you'd be at a disadvantage.

Seda

How involves is the finding the traitor section? Is there a mode where I don't have to bother with any of it? :(

Actually let me clarify this. I know some other reviewers who were a bit confused at how this process actually works. Sorry, it's really not that complicated but there are a few steps so I apologize if this is a bit wordy. Skip over this if you'd rather figure it out on your own (shouldn't be any spoilers though)

---------------

First of all, traitors are random with the exception of the first one in a first playthrough.

Once you get past the opening sections of the game, Sho (main character dude) will hear 'suspicious voices' after each battle you clear. (Note, you take five other characters into battle.) Text and character icons float across the screen, and red text will appear if there is a suspicious person in that five-person group. I know some people start by trying to match the text with the artwork but that's not how you're supposed to go about it at all. All that matters is the number of suspicious voices. Basically, there can be up to three suspicious (red) voices in any five person group. So, what you are supposed to do is change up your party composition and see how many red voices there are for each permutation. Then, the game gives you a useful tool to use simple deduction to nail down who the suspicious characters are.

After that, you use a 'Vision Point' (which start off as somewhat rare) to dive into a characters mind to see with certainty if they are a traitor or not. If you are efficient with your dives, you should have plenty of Vision points to work with.

The final step is to convince other people to vote against the traitor. You don't get to decide who is voted out of existence on your own, you have to manipulate the democracy. After battles, other characters will often ask you questions like "Do you think Marco is the traitor?" or "Who do you think is the traitor?" Basically answer their questions to sway their eventual vote. Note, if a character wasn't a traitor in section 1, they still could be a traitor in section 2! Basically after each stratum of the tower, the traitor (and suspicious voices) reset.

---------------

A couple of other notes:

• You can still befriend traitors
  • If you fail to execute a traitor, they will not out themselves and will still be cooperative in the next stratum, but they are still traitors and there will be a new traitor too.
  • If you fail to catch one traitor, you have a chance to make up for it later

In short I suppose you could ignore it entirely and let you squad execute whoever they decide to, but then there's a good chance you end up handicapping yourself.

aravuus

Looks interesting but since I'm European, subbed for now. Hopefully there are different difficulty settings, VC was a tiny bit too hard imho. Or maybe I just suck at tactical RPGs.

miku

Hoping that this arrives in the morning. Pre-ordered it without knowing too much, so if it turns out to be even remotely good then I should be happy with my purchase.

Can anybody comment on how it was received in Japan?

Also, awesome job for your first OT!

I heard there were lots of freezing issues and stuff.

Seda

Coo! Reviews have been solid so far so it seems pretty much like I expected, hopefully this will provide a nice twist but still fill the Valkyria void in a way for me.

Seda how long did a play through take?

Pretty sure my first playthrough was less than 20 hours.

Looks interesting but since I'm European, subbed for now. Hopefully there are different difficulty settings, VC was a tiny bit too hard imho. Or maybe I just suck at tactical RPGs.

There is an Easy and a Normal difficulty that you can change between at any time. Normal isn't bad at all though. You can replay earlier easier levels to gain exp and such too.

Thanks for the info Seda

How is the actual gameplay/battle system? Is it fun?

Also, is leveling up/upgrading characters a good system?

Pretty sure my first playthrough was less than 20 hours.

There is an Easy and a Normal difficulty that you can change between at any time. Normal isn't bad at all though. You can replay earlier easier levels to gain exp and such too.
Any good reason to do multiple playthroughs?

Seda

Any good reason to do multiple playthroughs?

You can only get the true ending (and most of the story, which is still pretty minimal) by playing a second time. The true ending requires befriending every character, which is impossible to do in a single run. After you talk to any character enough, you unlock a dedicated 'character-mission' and after clearing that, you should get a new gold symbol on the character page to indicate a complete social link. These stay in New Game +.

aravuus

Oh cool, thanks! I'll keep my eye on this one then, hopefully I can afford it when it comes out

Kamina777

Banned
Actually let me clarify this. I know some other reviewers who were a bit confused at how this process actually works. Sorry, it's really not that complicated but there are a few steps so I apologize if this is a bit wordy.

!!Good info!!

In short I suppose you could ignore it entirely and let you squad execute whoever they decide to, but then there's a good chance you end up handicapping yourself.
Wow this will need me to be a lot more involved than just killing things, i may need to wait till after i finish re: hollow I don't want to push through this if there's a detriment to traitors making it past the vote.

Final question, are there a variety of boss type enemies?

Actually let me clarify this. I know some other reviewers who were a bit confused at how this process actually works. Sorry, it's really not that complicated but there are a few steps so I apologize if this is a bit wordy. Skip over this if you'd rather figure it out on your own (shouldn't be any spoilers though)

---------------

First of all, traitors are random with the exception of the first one in a first playthrough.

Once you get past the opening sections of the game, Sho (main character dude) will hear 'suspicious voices' after each battle you clear. (Note, you take five other characters into battle.) Text and character icons float across the screen, and red text will appear if there is a suspicious person in that five-person group. I know some people start by trying to match the text with the artwork but that's not how you're supposed to go about it at all. All that matters is the number of suspicious voices. Basically, there can be up to three suspicious (red) voices in any five person group. So, what you are supposed to do is change up your party composition and see how many red voices there are for each permutation. Then, the game gives you a useful tool to use simple deduction to nail down who the suspicious characters are.

After that, you use a 'Vision Point' (which start off as somewhat rare) to dive into a characters mind to see with certainty if they are a traitor or not. If you are efficient with your dives, you should have plenty of Vision points to work with.

The final step is to convince other people to vote against the traitor. You don't get to decide who is voted out of existence on your own, you have to manipulate the democracy. After battles, other characters will often ask you questions like "Do you think Marco is the traitor?" or "Who do you think is the traitor?" Basically answer their questions to sway their eventual vote. Note, if a character wasn't a traitor in section 1, they still could be a traitor in section 2! Basically after each stratum of the tower, the traitor (and suspicious voices) reset.

---------------

A couple of other notes:

• You can still befriend traitors
  • If you fail to execute a traitor, they will not out themselves and will still be cooperative in the next stratum, but they are still traitors and there will be a new traitor too.
  • If you fail to catch one traitor, you have a chance to make up for it later

from this it kinda sounds like that assassin card game. I kinda like it

JPS Kai

I finished the game a couple of weeks ago and felt pretty average about it all. Here's some things that stood out to me.

1, Assisting/covering fire is incredibly important. For the stages where your party is split up, I'd make a concerted effort to come back together just to take advantage of the link assist followup attacks.

2, Finding the traitor is easy. Persuading your teammates is not. I'd continuously have to run the same missions over and over, TRYING to convince party members of who the traitor is. Since you get a premonition of how people will vote, you can see the outcome and keep repeating missions to see the changes.

3, On one of the final stratum, I had a two-way split for who the traitor is. FIFTEEN times in a row, the votes would be 50/50 and it would have to go back to recast the votes.

4, A lot of the character abilities felt useless to me. Not once did I end up using Zenji's Link abilities during my playthrough and still wound up doing alright.

JUSTICE!

Seda

2, Finding the traitor is easy. Persuading your teammates is not. I'd continuously have to run the same missions over and over, TRYING to convince party members of who the traitor is. Since you get a premonition of how people will vote, you can see the outcome and keep repeating missions to see the changes.

huh, I sometimes had clear a 'dummy mission' (like, one of the first ones you can beat in a single minute) an extra time or two to persuade votes but getting an overwhelming majority on the traitor was never a problem.

JPS Kai

huh, I sometimes had clear a 'dummy mission' (like, one of the first ones you can beat in a single minute) an extra time or two to persuade votes but getting an overwhelming majority on the traitor was never a problem.

On the
third stratum, it took about a dozen quick missions to finally get the vote tallies where I wanted.

Kozuka

Really nice job for this OT, i'm looking forward to this game but for the moment i need to get done with my backlog.

Seeing there are early adopters in here, is that game a must-have or just a cool experience ?

Baust

Wow, I just read the premise on this and am very interested.

I love whodunnits a lot. I'm guessing I'd like this game a lot then?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Cool! I figured there'd be some typos, haha, but I don't mind correcting them. I have OCD tendencies like that

I considered it, but the thought that stopped me from putting it in is if someone discovers the OT or looks into the game in a few months time, the price wouldn't be up to date. I suppose it's worth adding as most people will be seeing the thread now.

Its just good to have in there initially as folks generally seem to ask that otherwise. Once a thread is old people will have to imagine that the price possibly has changed, that and no one really expects the price to be updated again. lol

Westraid

Nice work on the OT!
Game won't be out here for another month, but the info really helps to cure my fence sitting. Also thanks Seda, for explaining a bit more about the traitor system.

I played the demo on PS3 and enjoyed it. Love the concept too, so I'll be getting this eventually.

Does it run well on the Vita? Any significant downgrades from the PS3 version?

are the stage layouts/other elements randomized as well?

also, its awesome that the protagonist nearly has the same name as 80's ninja movie star (and original Tenchu motion/voice actor) Sho Kosugi.

Again, thanks for the feedback and the kind words! It always helps! And thanks so much Seda for elaborating on things and clarifying things! It's truly appreciated.

I hope to get the game tomorrow as things have piled up for me this week and I won't get a chance today (most likely, but we'll see). When I do pick it up, however, I expect to be able to answer more questions more easily. I still have to decide PS3 or Vita, though. What is everyone else going with?

Its just good to have in there initially as folks generally seem to ask that otherwise. Once a thread is old people will have to imagine that the price possibly has changed, that and no one really expects the price to be updated again. lol

I suppose it doesn't hurt to add.

Cancelled my pre-order for this today. I want it, but I reckon I'll be able to get it cheaper a few weeks after launch and I'm in no rush to play it.

Love this OT though, very nice.

pariah164

Last minute character impression nonsense.

Grayed out means I give no fucks if they bite it. Bloodstain means traitor/bad guy/kill on sight. Little sparkle mark means they will be the best characters. All these are based on looks alone and the "Meet the SEALED Team" trailers.

JPS Kai

Grayed out means I give no fucks if they bite it. Bloodstain means traitor/bad guy/kill on sight. Little sparkle mark means they will be the best characters. All these are based on looks alone and the "Meet the SEALED Team" trailers.

You may say that now, but you're probably gonna need that healer in your party.

This is pretty much how I feel too, except replace Agito with George for loljustice. Need a healer though, so I suppose I'll begrudgingly let Sojiro live until I get rich enough to heal through items alone, lol.

Top Bottom